Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Re: An Open Letter to You, My PATH Nemesis
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
It's all an act. He probably figured out that many people are on to him, and now he's going for pity in a different way.

One night, I had the (mis)fortune of hearing his spiel again in the train and actually walked behind him as he exited the Grove St PATH. He was walking very slowly and mumbling (slurring) to himself, but once he emerged from the station, he started walking faster and even spoke to some of his homies standing on the corner of Grove and Columbus, sans slur.

I just shook my head and kept walking home.

Quote:

sporkster wrote:
BTW, Teddy is looking pretty bad these days. He's been in a slow decline for the past 5 years that I've lived in JC and been riding the PATH, but I saw him last week, and he looked like he was about to pass out... glassy eyes, totally disheveled, crazy hair, holding out a greasy paper bag for money and shuffling along. I remember when he used to be really well-kept and had the whole clipboard and ID thing going on. I guess maybe he was too successful at his previous panhandling?? I mean, I can only guess where all that money went to, and now it's really starting to show.

But his whole schtik is that he's collecting money for other homeless people, not himself (though obv he's not). I don't really think he's playing it up that much. Compared to how he used to look, he is crazy dirty now and noticeably thinner, with an overall really unhealthy look to him.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 20:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/24 18:10
Group:
Registered Users
Ok I might get creamed for this, but my biggest pet peave is when Im dog tired after a long day and I cant find a seat cause suzie q. citizen has brought her 5 babies aboard and they have taken all the seats. I love kids...I should since I have a few and a grandson, but this is a pet peave of mine.

Also I saw teddy the other day. OmG. He looked terrible. He had his hair long under a dirty cap, dirty sneakers, an oil stained paper bag and he was asking for money for food. He's really taken a turn for the worse. :(

Posted on: 2008/7/25 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
to the guy who just had to sit with his knees three feet apart on the 33rd St train in the middle of rush hour this morning, I've got news:

it probably doesn't need THAT much breathing room.

Posted on: 2008/7/25 17:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
What's the deal with people falling asleep on the PATH? I rarely get a seat but whenever I do it seems the guy next to me falls asleep a few minutes after the train pulls out of the 33rd St. station. And his head tilts so that it's leaning on my shoulder, whereupon I have to cough or move to jar him awake, and of course he apologizes but two minutes later he's back in the honeymoon position, meaning that the entire ride consists of me jerking my body like a spastic, coughing, and wishing I'd stood.

Posted on: 2008/7/16 19:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
It's all an act. He probably figured out that many people are on to him, and now he's going for pity in a different way.

One night, I had the (mis)fortune of hearing his spiel again in the train and actually walked behind him as he exited the Grove St PATH. He was walking very slowly and mumbling (slurring) to himself, but once he emerged from the station, he started walking faster and even spoke to some of his homies standing on the corner of Grove and Columbus, sans slur.

I just shook my head and kept walking home.

Quote:

sporkster wrote:
BTW, Teddy is looking pretty bad these days. He's been in a slow decline for the past 5 years that I've lived in JC and been riding the PATH, but I saw him last week, and he looked like he was about to pass out... glassy eyes, totally disheveled, crazy hair, holding out a greasy paper bag for money and shuffling along. I remember when he used to be really well-kept and had the whole clipboard and ID thing going on. I guess maybe he was too successful at his previous panhandling?? I mean, I can only guess where all that money went to, and now it's really starting to show.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 15:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/19 19:46
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
I was almost knocked unconscious on my ride in this morning by some woman who was overloaded with her bags and couldn't figure out how to hold all these bags, read a magazine and brace herself while the train did a high-speed side sweep in the tunnel. She either wasn't holding on or she lost her grip and her head smacked right into mine. Ouch!!

I tell my kids - who have excellent balance - to hold on tight in fear they might turn into a human cannon ball - I wish the adults would do the same.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 13:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/7 14:28
From grove st.
Group:
Registered Users
For all your problems PATH (do they ever wash the floors?!), I would never choose to drive to work in traffic instead.

Posted on: 2008/6/5 20:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 13:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/6/4 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HankJ2C2 wrote:
Has anyone else seen the possibly homeless guy on the path trains to 33rd st from JSQ? He asks for money and says "Thank God" or soemthing. Everytime I have taken the train around 7:30 pm, he is on it.

Does anyone know his story? I feel bad, but I don't want to give him money untill I know what his story is.

Teddy has been riding the PATH trains for at least 20 years with the same story. He's a professional panhandler, there was a thread a while back about him and his "charity" the Bergen-Lafayette Coalition to feed the homeless (himself).

Posted on: 2008/6/4 17:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/6/4 16:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/9 20:28
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone else seen the possibly homeless guy on the path trains to 33rd st from JSQ? He asks for money and says "Thank God" or soemthing. Everytime I have taken the train around 7:30 pm, he is on it.

Does anyone know his story? I feel bad, but I don't want to give him money untill I know what his story is.

Posted on: 2008/6/4 16:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/27 1:27
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Walk faster in the stations! This is not an enchanted meadow of prancing unicorns and buttercup sunshine! It's the damned WTC/Newark/Pavonia/whatever! The same station you were probably in yesterday!

Yes, you, the group of tourists at the WTC! I know, holy crap, there used to be two buildings here like 6 years ago. So exciting, I know! Some of us are trying to go to work this fine morning-- get out of our way!

Posted on: 2008/6/3 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
that is one cultural difference I will never, ever understand.

no matter what you look like, who you worship or how you were raised, you still have a nose, right?

Posted on: 2008/6/1 17:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/7 14:37
Group:
Registered Users
I usually get so pissed off by the H1 visa crowd - I worked with them in an I-Bank for many years - I loudly mention that they're selling bars of soap in the 99 cent store. I knew guys making well over 6 figures that I wouldn't get into an elevator with. I have great friends from all over the world but many in this crowd don't get it. It's extremely offensive in the Summer.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 9:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
riding home late tonight, my friends and I sat down, and five guys stood in front of us. they were together, chatting.

the train started moving, and as soon as that crowd raised their arms to hold on, the rest of us nearly choked to death.

worst. b-o. ever. times five. pouring forth from the row of armpits like radiation from chernobyl.

question: has anyone ever asked someone to put his arm down, for the health and happiness of his fellow passengers? is there a polite way to do this?

still gasping,
JCB

A friend of mine is a gardener and was returning home on the subway after a long day of working in the sun. He was standing and holding on to the bar above him. The woman who was standing next to him turned and said in an angry tone "You stink."

I guess that's the only way to do it. If you're gonna say something, you just gotta come out with it. Me, personally, I just move away from stinky people, unless I happen to live with them... then I say something.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 3:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/11 21:52
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jclxz wrote:

A further problem with the PATH is the violent and dangerous bouncing. To me this indicates that the track is not maintained well and one day there will be a serious accident. It is so violent that it is not safe at all to move around on a moving PATH train unless you hold on to something the whole time (and even then you're taking some risk). As bad as the subway is, it isn't as bad as the PATH.

I beg to differ. Have you every taken downtown 4/5 trains from Grand Central? Right after the train leaves there's a steep curve and the conductors never bothered to slow down. Assholes.

Posted on: 2008/6/1 3:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/11 21:52
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
riding home late tonight, my friends and I sat down, and five guys stood in front of us. they were together, chatting.

the train started moving, and as soon as that crowd raised their arms to hold on, the rest of us nearly choked to death.

worst. b-o. ever. times five. pouring forth from the row of armpits like radiation from chernobyl.

question: has anyone ever asked someone to put his arm down, for the health and happiness of his fellow passengers? is there a polite way to do this?

still gasping,
JCB

My solution is 1) do not sit during rush hours and 2) try avoid standing next to a tall guy.

But sometimes I don't have the luxury to make a choice wrt to 2)...

Posted on: 2008/6/1 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bubbles wrote:
This has always been one of my favorite threads.

Lately I have realized that PATH riders are much worse than Subway riders for letting people off the train first. The WTC 5 o'clock crowd is ruthless.

I agree. In fact, I change my own behavior between the PATH and Subway.

I have missed PATH trains (or more likely had to barge my way on after hearing the bing-bong), or not been able to get off PATH trains at my stop, because the conductor was not giving everyone time to get off the train. PATH conductors are the worst.

It is such a shocking difference in behavior between PATH and subway conductors. I don't know if there is a difference in design in the doors as well. I have noticed that subway doors often open immediately if someone holds them or something gets stuck in them, but I don't know if this is due to alert conductors or automation.

A couple egregious incidents in particular I remember on the PATH - a woman in a wheelchair asked me to help her get on the train. As I was pushing her on, the conductor closes the door on her wheelchair. Either it was gross negligence or it was deliberate. What job does the conductor have if not closing the doors on women in wheelchairs is not in the job description. I was very close to him, I think it was the doors closest, or at least in his car. But even if I was at the very end, I think his job is to look first.

Another time, I was traveling with a group including a child in a stroller. They were slow to get up when we arrived at 33rd st. When I heard the bing-bong, I ran up to the doors and held them (well, got myself stuck in them). Now all the doors on the train are closed, the conductor is GONE (I was able to stick my arm all the way out and yell, I was about in the middle o f the train). I can't force the door open. Another passenger went and found a PATH person to open the door. Remember, when the conductor closed the doors, he could have looked and seen that a door did not close, and he also could have looked down the train and seen me waving. Also, before disappearing, he could have walked down the end of the train.

A further problem with the PATH is the violent and dangerous bouncing. To me this indicates that the track is not maintained well and one day there will be a serious accident. It is so violent that it is not safe at all to move around on a moving PATH train unless you hold on to something the whole time (and even then you're taking some risk). As bad as the subway is, it isn't as bad as the PATH. So you are taking a real risk of injury if you move towards the door before the train has come to a complete stop. This means that people are slow to get off the train. Obviously this interacts with the problem of obnoxious conductors with no concern for their passengers.

I have always been surprised how little respect the Port Authority has for their riders.

Posted on: 2008/5/31 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

creativeconquests wrote:
I am so happy all those other blank faces on the PATH train are thinking the same things I am. It gets me less down about living in an urban setting where often I feel very anonymous.

I once was on the train with friend and we went towards two seats together and a man from the other entrance came racing, head down, towards the seats to 'win' one. So I rudely said, "well, looks like he won" and my friend and I sat apart somewhere else (there was no loss of seats on the train). He looked up and I think my 'outing' him had him offer the seats. I look at him and I KNEW HIM! It was like driving in a car and fingering an obnoxious driver then realizing it was your bosses wife. AWKWARD.

I once was bustling through the turnstiles and there was a rather 'healthy', okay I'll say it, large woman going through the one next to me, evidently having trouble putting her card through. I have no idea what happened but I'm guessing she backed out of that turnstile to come to mine but I was already on my way. Then I hear her say "that bitch BUTTED IN FRONT OF ME AND hit me with her purse!". I turn around to look not realizing she was pointing at me. I'm like WHAT THE F*CK? She starts slewing profanities as she walks to get her card more money on it.

So I decide, forget this bitch. You lied. So I say to her "i'm sorry if my purse hit you in some way, i had absolutely no idea, it's a big purse and i'm very, very, sorry - it was completely unintentional". She was so shocked I spoke to her or apologized (even though I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about) she didn't know what to do with herself. I continue to say, "Look I'm sorry, I didn't know". And she's like, "back off bitch, whatever".

It's amazing that her evident fatness to the point she spilled over to my turnstile, her aggravation her card wouldn't go through and her frustration to have to get more money from her card was forwarded to someone who didn't do anything intentionally wrong. Little did she know when I saw her I thought, I should just let her through on my MTA card........nope!

Perhaps PATH was trying to charge her a double fare like the airlines do for "large" people

Posted on: 2008/5/31 15:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/17 14:13
Group:
Banned
I am so happy all those other blank faces on the PATH train are thinking the same things I am. It gets me less down about living in an urban setting where often I feel very anonymous.

I once was on the train with friend and we went towards two seats together and a man from the other entrance came racing, head down, towards the seats to 'win' one. So I rudely said, "well, looks like he won" and my friend and I sat apart somewhere else (there was no loss of seats on the train). He looked up and I think my 'outing' him had him offer the seats. I look at him and I KNEW HIM! It was like driving in a car and fingering an obnoxious driver then realizing it was your bosses wife. AWKWARD.

I once was bustling through the turnstiles and there was a rather 'healthy', okay I'll say it, large woman going through the one next to me, evidently having trouble putting her card through. I have no idea what happened but I'm guessing she backed out of that turnstile to come to mine but I was already on my way. Then I hear her say "that bitch BUTTED IN FRONT OF ME AND hit me with her purse!". I turn around to look not realizing she was pointing at me. I'm like WHAT THE F*CK? She starts slewing profanities as she walks to get her card more money on it.

So I decide, forget this bitch. You lied. So I say to her "i'm sorry if my purse hit you in some way, i had absolutely no idea, it's a big purse and i'm very, very, sorry - it was completely unintentional". She was so shocked I spoke to her or apologized (even though I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about) she didn't know what to do with herself. I continue to say, "Look I'm sorry, I didn't know". And she's like, "back off bitch, whatever".

It's amazing that her evident fatness to the point she spilled over to my turnstile, her aggravation her card wouldn't go through and her frustration to have to get more money from her card was forwarded to someone who didn't do anything intentionally wrong. Little did she know when I saw her I thought, I should just let her through on my MTA card........nope!

Posted on: 2008/5/31 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

still gasping,
JCB

Posted on: 2008/5/31 6:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/4 22:40
Group:
Banned
This is the funniest and most accurate post I have ever read.

Posted on: 2008/5/31 5:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/3 0:37
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Canonguy20d wrote:
I just thank GOD I don't have to deal with mass-transit. Working in Central Jersey and driving, even with the gas prices out weighs the PATH ride - UGHH

As much as I enjoy bitching about the PATH, I'd never prefer driving to work each day. After riding the PATH and subway for 7 years I took a job out in New Providence. The traffic wasn't bad as I was moving in the opposite direction of most drivers, but I longed to be able to stick my nose in a book and zone out for the entire commute, as I do now that I'm no longer working in the ghastly suburbs.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Sunday evening I get on the Newark train at the W.T.C. PATH station I attemt to sit between 2 people one is on her cell phone the other has a bag between his feet. Both of them are taking up part of the space of the seat I was about to use. The cell person was sitting on the end and wouldn't move over to the edge, the bag man wouldn't condense his posture I was litterly squeezed between them they must have felt the discomfort but still they would not move. I saw a raging battle about to explode so I decided to stand. Maybe I should have had made a federal case of the situation at hand. At least it might have made the headlines.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 11:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bubbles wrote:

Lately I have realized that PATH riders are much worse than Subway riders for letting people off the train first. The WTC 5 o'clock crowd is ruthless.

Yes potential PATH passengers about to embark can be a horrendous human hurdle. Remember you know what is outside the train but you don't know what's inside I wouldn't be to quick to get on. I have a folding bike so it's their loss if they decide to ram into me or at least my bike. The next word I hear may be ouch. It's always the way though (the stampede) I expect it a matter of fact I'm disapointed if it doesn't occur. I feel like a train conductor shouting "getting off" ! I hope they don't take that "announcement" a different way.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 11:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/7 14:28
From grove st.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/5/30 5:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/6/20 13:19
Group:
Registered Users
What an entertaining thread... I work odd hours and take the PATH at offpeak times, but wow this was funny to read.

Teddy has made youtube btw..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGgL0jZfcNE&feature=related

Posted on: 2008/5/30 4:34

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I just thank GOD I don't have to deal with mass-transit. Working in Central Jersey and driving, even with the gas prices out weighs the PATH ride - UGHH

Posted on: 2008/5/30 3:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/14 13:47
Group:
Registered Users
Saw a guy today on the way to WTC with his pinky so far up his nose that I thought he lost his finger. After finding some precious booty in his nose, he proceeded to flick the sunken treasure - classic

Posted on: 2008/5/30 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Saw a guy eating pistachio or some other shelled nuts on the PATH today. He had a bunch of shells on the floor by his feet. I think he got the hint that he shouldn't be doing this when everyone starting giving him dirty looks.

I snapped a pic on my cell for fun.

Posted on: 2008/5/30 0:56

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017