Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
154 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: 2,600 homes, cafeteria & movie theaters... Jersey City's Bel Fuse opens huge Chinese factory
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

wibbit wrote:

stop being so ignorant and talk out of your ass. $7k is ok salary in china when you compare the cost of living there. In shanghai (the most expensive city in china other than hongkong), a nice meal costs $2.

I never compared wages to the USA, I compared them to what the people were making before, which is next to nothing so7K is good. It does not excuse the fact that they are still exploitative wages, especially when these goods are sold in the West for high premiums.

It makes me laugh that the free trade capitalists like yourself are all in favor of this kind of expoitation when ultimately it only makes a few fat cats at the top of these companies richer.

Quote:

wibbit wrote:

Most chinese are living just fine under those salaries, i would say probably better than lower-middle class in the US. It's only when you go for all luxury, then sky is the limit, but that's true anywhere in the world.

Factory campus is common and most workers prefer it that way, because the housing and amenites are usually a lot better and more convenient. Plus the company usually offer steep discounts on rent/food to their workers living on campus. This is not the 1920s anymore like you imagined in the movies, with dark factories and evil bosses whipping their workers. Everything is globalized....

I suggest you watch the documentary Mardi Gras: Made in China or read the recent press that Apple got over it's Chinese factories.

Mardi Gras

Apple

To me this does sound like the modern day equivalent of the Mine workers store. Maybe the Chinese like being exploited, I don't begin to assume I can speak for them but I do know that I would not like to work under these conditions. Also I don't shop at Wallmart or K-mart (although I do own an IPOD and have done for years but when this one dies I will not be replacing it) because I don't need the bad karma of feeding that exploitation.

Posted on: 2006/11/25 17:44

Re: 2,600 homes, cafeteria & movie theaters... Jersey City's Bel Fuse opens huge Chinese factory
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
YEAH!

I was surprised when I was walking by this place in Paulus Hook -- I first thought it was some electrical supply place left over from the old days -- but I thought -- wow -- it seems to really be doing well!

Wonder why!

Posted on: 2006/11/25 1:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
Quote:

soshin wrote:

Why is this crap in a Jersey paper anyway? So we can all feel proud that outsourcing and exploitation is a good thing?

ummmm... because the company in question is based in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2006/11/25 0:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 3:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

soshin wrote:
They make it sound so sweet and wonderful. However, just think that you are living in a place where the company pay you piss-poor wages, but hey, you can go to the movies or spend some of those piss-poor wages.... in a movie theater and shops that we, the company, will provide..........

$7k a year might sound good (if you were earning nothing before) but once you spend a good amount of that 7K in the company store and on company provided accomodation, it's a lot less than 7K you have to send to your family. This is pure and simple explotation........

Why is this crap in a Jersey paper anyway? So we can all feel proud that outsourcing and exploitation is a good thing?

stop being so ignorant and talk out of your ass. $7k is ok salary in china when you compare the cost of living there. In shanghai (the most expensive city in china other than hongkong), a nice meal costs $2.

Most chinese are living just fine under those salaries, i would say probably better than lower-middle class in the US. It's only when you go for all luxury, then sky is the limit, but that's true anywhere in the world.

Factory campus is common and most workers prefer it that way, because the housing and amenites are usually a lot better and more convenient. Plus the company usually offer steep discounts on rent/food to their workers living on campus. This is not the 1920s anymore like you imagined in the movies, with dark factories and evil bosses whipping their workers. Everything is globalized....

The biggest problem in china right now is unemployment for college graduates. Because of the chinese culture and improvements to cost of living in recent years, now every parent wants their child to goto college. To give you an idea how crazy this is getting, a 5th grader studies about 12 hours a day, mon to sat, which includes normal class, afterschool classes, followed by private tutors etc. On the exam day, streets are closed and all the hotels near exam centers are fully occupied by parents for their kids.

As a result, china does not know what to do with its huge pool of college graduates, many cannot find whitecollar jobs. Yet bluecollar workforce is in short supply, so they have to be filled by farmers etc outside of the city.

anyway didnt mean to turn this into a rant...

Posted on: 2006/11/24 20:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/18 15:05
From John Wilkes Park
Group:
Registered Users
They make it sound so sweet and wonderful. However, just think that you are living in a place where the company pay you piss-poor wages, but hey, you can go to the movies or spend some of those piss-poor wages.... in a movie theater and shops that we, the company, will provide..........

$7k a year might sound good (if you were earning nothing before) but once you spend a good amount of that 7K in the company store and on company provided accomodation, it's a lot less than 7K you have to send to your family. This is pure and simple explotation........

Posted on: 2006/11/24 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Bel Fuse knows on which side their bread is buttered.

I recently read that in China a freshly minted engineer employed by Chinese automakers Geely or Chery earns about $7k/year, and is quite happy. Cars are still crappy, but they will get better.

In the meantime, Wall Street average salary (in the financial sector) is $8,300/week, and it's going up.

Not sure what that means for JC, other than shorting the hell out of Detroit stocks might be a good idea...

Posted on: 2006/11/23 15:21

2,600 homes, cafeteria & movie theaters... Jersey City's Bel Fuse opens huge Chinese factory
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
A Chinese factory opened recently by Jersey City-based Bel Fuse makes the blue-collar grind there sound almost appealing.

The 15-acre facility, which has residences for 2,600 employees, includes "cafeteria service for 10,000 meals a day, a movie theater, basketball court, exercise room and additional indoor and outdoor facilities," according to a company statement.

Bel Fuse, a publicly traded company, designs and manufactures electronic components.

The company's new, 395,000-square-foot facility in Zhongshan has space for 5,000 workers and includes nine production lines able to "pick and place" more than 150 million components a month.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?q ... yeTdmNzE3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTI=

==================================
Bel Fuse Goes to China

NJBIZ Staff -- 11/20/2006

Automotive, consumer electronics and telecommunications-products maker Bel Fuse in Jersey City has opened a new 15-acre facility in Zhongshan, China. The 395,000-square-foot Wing Ming facility will be staffed with 5,000 new employees. The manufacturing plant will produce DC-DC transformers and the company?s MagJack network connector modules. In addition to manufacturing equipment, the facility includes a movie theater, exercise room, basketball court and cafeteria service for 10,000 meals per day.

http://www.njbiz.com

Posted on: 2006/11/23 1:23

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017