Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Re: Steven Fulop - Newark Avenue Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
And yet it only takes three small rounds (fired into the air) to close a business. Go figure....

Posted on: 2007/6/22 21:18
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
How long does it take to get a permit to open a restaurant? Six months? Why? What is wrong with City Hall (rhetorical question)?

Small business owners cannot afford to pay rent on an empty store and not get any income. Landlords are not going to give them free rent until they open.

Thank goodness, Sawadee was able to hang on and open.

Steve, this process must change if we want to attract individual small businesses and not big generic corporate chain stores.

Posted on: 2007/6/22 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
KKKramer

Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
PostNet?

Can we get back to Newark Avenue!

Groveyboy, you should know the rules by now.

Rule: Once a thread has gone off topic, it cannot return to original topic until it has gone off on a music related, racism or world politcs tangent. This has not happened yet. Be patient.

BTW - Did you see Kramer freaking out and throwing the "N" word around on stage?

Posted on: 2006/11/25 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WillBr wrote:

"High end folks" shop at The Gap or Land's end?

No, you silly goose. High end folks shop at "Turnull and
Asser of Jermyn Street and Newark Avenue."
I can just see the shopping bags now.
Oh, where's my fan! I think I'm about to swoon!

Posted on: 2006/11/21 19:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/5 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

karindiann wrote:
The bargain hunters come to Newark Ave because that's where the bargains are. The Gap/Land's End hunters go to the mall or into Manhattan, but that doesn't mean they don't live in downtown JC. You can't expect high-end folks to flock to Newark when there is nothing there for them. There are a few very high-end boutiques elsewhere downtown (on Grove and in Paulus Hook) that seem to be surviving and even prospering. I think there needs to be room for a variety of retail stores, because there are a wide range of incomes and needs in JC. And there are a few of us who actually enjoy and patronize both boutiques and dollar stores.

"High end folks" shop at The Gap or Land's end?

Posted on: 2006/11/21 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
karindiann wrote:
The bargain hunters come to Newark Ave because that's where the bargains are. The Gap/Land's End hunters go to the mall or into Manhattan, but that doesn't mean they don't live in downtown JC. You can't expect high-end folks to flock to Newark when there is nothing there for them. quote]

This sort of silly talk tickles me pink.
Goodness me. Where are these "high end" folks?
I would love to see one. I have lived here for 25 years
and must aver that never have I seen a "high end"
person in downtown Jersey City. No offense, you
wannabes; but it's reality check time.

I take it back. There is only one grande dame here
and she lives next door to me and is chauffered
to and fro and drops into Bergdorf and Agnes B.
every day and has fresh flowers delivered daily from
the city and etc, etc. Now That's high end.

We'll see, when they open up booteeks on Newark
Ave., how long they stay in business and how many
High End downtowners drop their big bucks here.
There is a yiddish saying to the effect that talking is
the cheapest kind of spending someone can do.

Posted on: 2006/11/21 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

elgoodo wrote:
re-naming is silly. ever hear of newark, DE? or newark, OH?

no

Posted on: 2006/11/21 16:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
PostNet?

Groveyboy, you should know the rules by now.

Rule: Once a thread has gone off topic, it cannot return to original topic until it has gone off on a music related, racism or world politcs tangent. This has not happened yet. Be patient.

BTW - Did you see Kramer freaking out and throwing the "N" word around on stage?

Posted on: 2006/11/21 16:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/9 22:02
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
PostNet?

First, let me get a crack.

POSTNET BLOWS.

Posted on: 2006/11/21 15:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
PostNet?

Posted on: 2006/11/21 11:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
I know someone who hates PostNet with a passion because of rotten service. So, I'm not sure that's a business that's really earned the right to survive the megastores the way Borinquen or Subia's has.

I hate PostNet with a passion, too. I ship things several times a week for business, but I won't set foot in there because of the guy who runs it. I'll drive to Staples first.

Someone let me know if PostNet ever gets news owners.

Posted on: 2006/11/21 5:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcpeace wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
...and a UPS/package shipping place too. ...

ya got that with postnet...right around the corner on grove...

I know someone who hates PostNet with a passion because of rotten service. So, I'm not sure that's a business that's really earned the right to survive the megastores the way Borinquen or Subia's has.

Example: the department store next to Value Plus might (or might not, I don't know) be run by an old line Jersey City resident, and he may have problems that are not really his fault, but that store is not a store that's run as well as it could even under tough circumstances. Subia's, on the other hand, is not Whole Foods, but I can see that the owners are doing everything they know how to do to make it a good place to shop.

Posted on: 2006/11/21 2:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/5 17:42
Group:
Banned
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
...and a UPS/package shipping place too. ...

ya got that with postnet...right around the corner on grove...

Posted on: 2006/11/20 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Also, Borinquen hardware is on notice. See ya.

While the exterior needs help, that is one great hardware store. I'd hate to see it go. They are very helpful, and have lots of merchandise. ALso, they have and arts and crafts section which is really decently stocked for the hobbyist. They could also use some structural/redesign help inside too. But I truly hope they ccan stick it out - its an old family business and they really care about theri customers and the community.

I'd like to see a good bookstore on Newark Ave. THen one at the mall stinks and I think it could generate a lot of foot traffic, especially if there is a newspaper & magazine section. It would also be cool to have a coffee shop/lounge with an internet cafe service integrated in (not everyone has wi-fi and sometimes you just need to print, fax or photocopy something locally). I'd like to see a decent modern drug store and a UPS/package shipping place too. A Hallmark type store would also be helpful.

But m ost of all we need nightlife with some music licenses. Live music venues are in a poor state here.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 23:27

Edited by OneSkirt on 2006/11/20 23:49:44
Edited by OneSkirt on 2006/11/20 23:50:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm sorry I even responded to the change the name issue -- I think my other points were missed. I am mostly concerned that the re-development of Newark Avenue isn't really just fixing up the block by the new towers!

Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I'm all for Nightlife but other stores will soon do well also on Newark Avenue once all these new condo and rental buildings come online -- soon there will be many more customers for every type of enterprise. What is needed however is good planning -- I am sure the developers don't care about Newark (or Columbus) except for the block or so around their new buildings -- and they care about this area because it will help with their leasing and sales initiatives. Remember, all these developers have a ton of retail space themselves to lease out. They are not worried about Newark Avenue or the rest of Downtown.

The re-development of Newark Avenue is vital to the existing old Downtown area. It should not be done piecemeal just to help with the sales of the new towers on Newark and Columbus. There should be a master plan for Newark Avenue all the way to the turnpike overpass or at least to Brunswick Street. Pedestrian friendly street lamps and a smart tree program should be in place right away, as well as repaving of the street surface. I fully understand that things like brick sidewalks might be too expensive to do all at once and might have to happen in stages overtime but there should be a plan -- and things like street lamps which visually pull everything together shouldn't be put on a back burner.

It is great that Newark Avenue's time has come -- with a jump start from these very large towers which are soon to be occupied.

Quote:

bryhove wrote:
If Newark Ave really wants to turn around - it's gotta be nightlife. Bars & restauraunts are the answer. Not a goddam Gap store.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 21:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/16 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
don't rag on Borinquen! the family who runs the place are very helpful, and i love that they carry hardware AND art supplies.

it's a nice family business. Yes, it could be cleaner and better organized, i suppose.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 21:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/5 17:42
Group:
Banned
whiteysezkeepmovin' ave?
jimcrowe ave?

Posted on: 2006/11/20 21:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Newarke Avenue

Posted on: 2006/11/20 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Anything but the name "Newark Avenue"

I think renaming the street to deal with an image problem.

First, because memories of the 1960s images are fading, Newark really isn't worse than most other central cities, and, if anything, Newark is starting to get some cachet. Newark is the city with the hot stud movie-star mayor. In 15 years, Manhattan may well be a city of old farts, and Newark may be the city where everything cool is.

Second, because I think it's a 1970s-ish idea to try to hide past problems by laminating them with vinyl or coming up with Happy Orwellian New Logan's Run Kind of Names.

Cut the rents low enough and rewrite any written and unwritten rules enough so that cool businesses can move in, and the cool businesses themselves will make the street known as a cool street simply by being cool.

MrGrieves could tell us more, but I think the fundamental problem with downtown is that a restaurant like Melt (the grilled cheese restaurant) that may have had its problems but was a perfectly fine, reasonably well-capitalized restaurant got killed (as far as I can tell; maybe there's more to the story) by the rent, or by whatever else it got killed by. The same with Hourglass. The owners of Hourglass probably were a bit misguided, but my guess is that they could have fixed things and gotten on track if they were paying a reasonable amount of rent.

I think one reason shops in places like Astoria are so great is probably because you have a lot of businesses there with 20-year-old leases that were negotiated when rents were low. If the leases come up for renegotiation while rents are as high as they are now, the businesses will close (a la Manhattan) and suddenly the commercial scene scene won't be so nice.

Of course, another, central problem is that business groups other than the various neighborhood councils are completely invisible. I saw an ad in the Jersey Journal a few weeks back that mentioned the existence of a Jersey City (or maybe Hudson County) chamber of commerce, but I'd never heard of that entity before, and that entity doesn't seem to have any presence whatsoever on this Web site or in the local papers. Businesses don't get what they need because no one is doing a good job of speaking up for their interests.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
( And by the, I would not mind seeing a new name - I would like Holland Avenue, Journal Avenue or Liberty Avenue -- where the names come from should be obvious. )

Since everything in JC and NJ is for sale, like the tpk, why not sell naming rights to the streets? How about Trump Ave?

There ya go!

How about Citi Street?

$20 million/year for 20 years and then we sell it again!

You listenin', Healy????

Posted on: 2006/11/20 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/11 3:55
Group:
Banned
Just like how people don't ever fly into or out of Newark Airport because of its name. And how no businesses have any offices in the city of Newark itself.

The horror!

If we're worrying about the potential psychological impact on people not smart enough to look at a map before purchasing a condo, leasing a business, or even go shopping, aren't we really putting all our eggs in the "lowest common denominator" basket?

Posted on: 2006/11/20 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Anything but the name "Newark Avenue" -- for tourists and newcomers it will strike fear for a long time to come -- why bother -- call it City Avenue , or Court Street -- anything but Newark Avenue-- why fight a losing battle.

People will think they are really close to Newark -- it is a dumb name to keep -- and I love history -- but it costs almost nothing to change it and now is the only chance we will ever have to change it.

Lots of Bang for little Bucks.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
( And by the, I would not mind seeing a new name - I would like Holland Avenue, Journal Avenue or Liberty Avenue -- where the names come from should be obvious. )

Since everything in JC and NJ is for sale, like the tpk, why not sell naming rights to the streets? How about Trump Ave?

Posted on: 2006/11/20 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

Posted on: 2006/11/20 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
to my knowledge, there is no whole foods or starbucks on hoboken avenue.

re-naming is silly. ever hear of newark, DE? or newark, OH?

Posted on: 2006/11/20 20:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/23 17:55
Group:
Banned
Quote:
injcsince81 wrote:
NEWARK Ave?

At least it's not CAMDEN Ave.

But a new name would be a start.

How about Newark Liberty Ave.?

Posted on: 2006/11/20 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all for Nightlife but other stores will soon do well also on Newark Avenue once all these new condo and rental buildings come online -- soon there will be many more customers for every type of enterprise. What is needed however is good planning -- I am sure the developers don't care about Newark (or Columbus) except for the block or so around their new buildings -- and they care about this area because it will help with their leasing and sales initiatives. Remember, all these developers have a ton of retail space themselves to lease out. They are not worried about Newark Avenue or the rest of Downtown.

The re-development of Newark Avenue is vital to the existing old Downtown area. It should not be done piecemeal just to help with the sales of the new towers on Newark and Columbus. There should be a master plan for Newark Avenue all the way to the turnpike overpass or at least to Brunswick Street. Pedestrian friendly street lamps and a smart tree program should be in place right away, as well as repaving of the street surface. I fully understand that things like brick sidewalks might be too expensive to do all at once and might have to happen in stages overtime but there should be a plan -- and things like street lamps which visually pull everything together shouldn't be put on a back burner.

It is great that Newark Avenue's time has come -- with a jump start from these very large towers which are soon to be occupied.

Quote:

bryhove wrote:
If Newark Ave really wants to turn around - it's gotta be nightlife. Bars & restauraunts are the answer. Not a goddam Gap store.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 20:14

Edited by GrovePath on 2006/11/20 20:35:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bryhove wrote:
Quote:

alb wrote:
One simple, local solution would be to pay the guy who owns the department store by C.H. Martin to turn his store over to someone else. That's a store that seems to be suitable for the market and could be really useful, but the owner just glares at people like me and scares us away.
If, say, the Subia's people would take it over and give it a cool, friendly vibe, maybe it could be an engine of change all by itself.

If Newark Ave really wants to turn around - it's ....

...gotta lose its name.

NEWARK Ave?

At least it's not CAMDEN Ave.

But a new name would be a start.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 20:07

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/9 22:02
Group:
Banned
Quote:

alb wrote:
One simple, local solution would be to pay the guy who owns the department store by C.H. Martin to turn his store over to someone else. That's a store that seems to be suitable for the market and could be really useful, but the owner just glares at people like me and scares us away.
If, say, the Subia's people would take it over and give it a cool, friendly vibe, maybe it could be an engine of change all by itself.

Funny - I have the total opposite vibe. I just left CH Martins - bought some thermals! Good cheap rugs too.
Subia's on the other hand, has turned me away when I was a quater short on a $1.50 cup of coffee. Refuse to go back - even if they do have those good overpriced Israeli products.

I'm not saying we need the slew of cheap stores - I'm just saying these little boutiques will come & go. I dig a good joint as much as the next - but Subia's, Tia's, the vintage shop, etc can't make enough to not charge too much.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

karindiann wrote:
The Gap/Land's End hunters go to the mall or into Manhattan, but that doesn't mean they don't live in downtown JC. You can't expect high-end folks to flock to Newark when there is nothing there for them.

A Gap-type store might survive downtown if it could somehow exist in isolation.

I think the problem is that a clothing store really needs to be near competitors and comparable accessory store to survive. Newark Avenue probably gets enough traffic to support one or two stores like that, but not enough to support a whole community of Gap-type stores.

On the other hand, I'm just guess at that and don't know. Maybe a good economic consultant would give a better answer.

Posted on: 2006/11/20 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ECH wrote:
[quote]