Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
83 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Councilman Steve Fulop runs 26m race for nonprofit: the Hudson County Child Abuse Prevention Cen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Nice capture, 25mc! I guess we left too early, huh?

It was nice running into you, Christine, and the Falcon, and meeting Steve from the HCCAP, and most of all, finally getting some face time w/ Steve. Good times.

Posted on: 2006/11/10 4:26

Re: Councilman Steve Fulop runs 26m race for nonprofit: the Hudson County Child Abuse Prevention Cen
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/29 17:28
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Bar Majestic 11/9/2006. Steven Fulop presents the check to the Hudson County Child Abuse Prevention Center.
Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/11/10 4:19
25mc Watchdog Group
www.25mc.com Blog
www.25mc.org Web Site

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop's marathon helps kids charity
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
By JASON FINK
Jersey Journal CITY EDITOR

Jersey City Councilman Steve Fulop ran for a reason Sunday in the New York City Marathon, finishing the 26-mile trek in three hours, 44 minutes and six seconds - and raising more than $16,000 for the Hudson County Child Abuse Prevention Center, a Jersey City nonprofit organization that helps prevent the sexual, physical and emotional abuse of children.

Fulop, who served in the Marines in Iraq, said he struggled to finish his first-ever marathon, but kept going, knowing every stride meant more money for the center.

"I finished and I'm happy," a still sore Fulop said yesterday. "It's a good cause."

And though he finished in the top 20 percent of runners - 7,174th in a field of more than 38,000, with an average time of eight minutes, 33 seconds per mile - he said he is unlikely to try to run another one.

"It's absolute torture," the Ward E councilman said. "You feel like your legs have anchors around them for the last six miles."

Posted on: 2006/11/7 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe Mr. Fulop can run by and check these 2 children out.

Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Quote:

PhillyGirl wrote:

............Meanwhile, in our home we will take care of 2 babies and do out best not to drop then out a window (of coure not!!)

Okay, go marathoners! I can't believe it took me a long post to say what I needed. Ugh -- Dr Baily has to be everywhere, doesn't she?

....huh?? You lost me here, sweetie.....please don't drop your two babies out the window.

Remember:

If anyone has a reasonable suspicion that a child is being abused, contact DYFS at 1-877-NJ-ABUSE.

Posted on: 2006/11/7 10:25

Re: Councilman Steve Fulop runs 26m race for nonprofit: the Hudson County Child Abuse Prevention Center
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

StevenFulop wrote:
Just want to say thanks for the well wishes it truly served as motivation and a team effort. On another note, for those of you who contemplate running it next year, I can't express in words how painful that run is but I assure you I will be there to WATCH.

Most importantly for the HCCAPC, we ended up raising slightly more than $16k with the overwhelming majority of the donations in the $26 - $100 range from residents.

I need some Tylenol...
Thanks again
Steve

Well done, you know that the kids in Hudson County have been a cause that has been near and dear to my heart.
I'm so happy to hear that $16,000+ has been raised.

I can't believe that you came in under 4 on your first ..that's fantastic!

Posted on: 2006/11/7 3:18

Re: Councilman Steve Fulop runs 26m race for nonprofit: the Hudson County Child Abuse Prevention Center
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PhillyGirl wrote:
I would like to post on the pro-Fulop thread,even if I have nothing to do with the marathon. I mean. I wish you the best of luck on Sunday and I hope you not only finish, but finish within your goal.

Meanwhile, I was watching my husband run his sixth marathon -- 2 weeks ago in Newport, RI. Since his initial running parter was running her 65th marathon She led out ahead of him shortly. Of course she beat him 3:38 to 4:02 so he has some catching up to do in future marathons. (Meanwhile don't forget that not only was he beaten by a "girl" . . . he was beaten by woman almost twice his age -- ok, not quite, but close: he is 32 and she is 50.

I am impressed with all of the people who applaud mtg effort, but despite my uncompromising standards of civic responsibility, shouldn't we at least take care of our own?!

Asthe JCLISTERS! (whomever we really are, lets take advantage of the primacy given us in the list of nay-sayers/cheerers and screw everyone we don't like. )

I cheer ALL!! and I hope all are suffciently cheesy that if I scream out our address from the side of the road, the runner will recognize and be inspired by the support of his neighbors.

Serisously, all should run hard and represent JC well (esp Steve Fulop -- since he promised and all!!).

Meanwhile, in our home we will take care of 2 babies and do out best not to drop then out a window (of coure not!!)

Okay, go marathoners! I can't believe it took me a long post to say what I needed. Ugh -- Dr Baily has to be everywhere, doesn't she?

PhillyGirl, I'm a huge fan of yours but...huh?? You lost me here, sweetie.

And yes, please don't drop your two babies out the window. Sound advice.

Posted on: 2006/11/7 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good point about physical fitness --25mcwilliams!

Another thing that Steve did was bring money and attention to child abuse.

Seems like a good time to say that we all should keep an eye out for signs of child abuse in those around us.

Great job again Steve!

=================================
Child abuse can come in four different forms: Physical, sexual and emotional abuse as well as neglect.

Some signs of physical abuse:

* Unexplained burns, cuts, bruises, or welts in the shape of an object

* Anti-social behavior

* Problems in school

* Fear of adults

* Drug or alcohol abuse

Some signs of emotional abuse:

* Apathy

* Depression

* Hostility

* Lack of concentration

* Eating disorders

Some signs of sexual abuse:

* Inappropriate interest in or knowledge of sexual acts

* Avoidance of things related to sexuality, or rejection of own genitals or bodies

* Nightmares and bed wetting

* Drastic changes in appetite

* Overcompliance or excessive aggression

* Fear of a particular person or family member

* Withdrawal, secretiveness, or depression

Sometimes there are no obvious physical signs of sexual abuse, and a physician must examine the child to confirm the abuse.

Some signs of neglect:

* Unsuitable clothing for weather

* Being dirty or unbathed

* Extreme hunger

* Apparent lack of supervision

Information provided by a Child?s Mental Health Guide on www.helpguide.org.

If anyone has a reasonable suspicion that a child is being abused, contact DYFS at 1-877-NJ-ABUSE.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 17:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/29 17:28
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
25mc congratulates Steve Fulop on completing the NYC marathon with a very decent time!

Steve raised money for a very worthy cause and reminded his constituents of the importance of physical fitness. He managed to put in 1000+ hours of training while working at a fulltime job and fulfilling his responsibilities as ward E Councilman. It proves that everyone can set aside at least 30 minutes a day, five days a week to work out.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 16:27
25mc Watchdog Group
www.25mc.com Blog
www.25mc.org Web Site

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Councilman... congratulations!

And thanks for the skinny on the painful race... as I have no plans to run it!

Posted on: 2006/11/6 12:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/27 19:46
Group:
Registered Users
Just want to say thanks for the well wishes it truly served as motivation and a team effort. On another note, for those of you who contemplate running it next year, I can't express in words how painful that run is but I assure you I will be there to WATCH.

Most importantly for the HCCAPC, we ended up raising slightly more than $16k with the overwhelming majority of the donations in the $26 - $100 range from residents.

I need some Tylenol...
Thanks again
Steve

Posted on: 2006/11/6 12:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/23 17:55
Group:
Banned
Congratulations. You da (Council)man!

Posted on: 2006/11/6 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Big Congrats, Steven! I knew you'd come under 4 hours with all your hard work and dedication. Now enjoy some rest for all your efforts!

Posted on: 2006/11/6 0:18
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Re: Councilman Steve Fulop Marathon Results
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
Excellent job, Mr. Councilman. I knew you'd beat 4 hours. Big congratulations!

Posted on: 2006/11/5 23:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That's it. I call for an independent investigation to trace the source of his superhuman powers, or if he is in fact a machine, what OS he's running on.

Excellent job, Steve! Bravo!

Posted on: 2006/11/5 20:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/22 17:57
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
That is so awesome! Way to go, Steve!

Also in for the charity pub crawl.

Posted on: 2006/11/5 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Results, according to the 'net:

Runner Fulop, Steven
Bib # 21773
5K 0:24:10.10
10K 0:45:53.20
15K 1:08:42.00
20K 1:32:53.95
Half 1:38:19.05
25K 1:59:51.10
30K 2:27:12.10
35K 2:58:28.25
40K 3:31:50.55
Finish 3:45:30.40

All times are unofficial. Times may vary in post race official results.

A very good time! Great Job, Steve!

(And I am all for the charity pub crawl, count me in!)

Posted on: 2006/11/5 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You know a charity pub crawl isn't a bad idea -- we could get all downtown bars to sign up -- profits go to charity.

It would be good for the bars to get people to try them -- and profits could go to cameras on the parks or some such thing.

From what I have seen most of us JCLISTERS are more suited to this than to a 26m race.

Quote:

scooter wrote:
This'll probably inspire Healy to volunteer for a pub crawl.

Posted on: 2006/11/5 5:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
ETA: Are people going to cheer him on?

Quote:

Maybe we could all meet up with Healy at one of the bars to watch Fulop on TV?

Posted on: 2006/11/5 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/25 20:46
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/11/5 2:56
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/11/4 21:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/22 17:57
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I'm impressed with anyone who can run. Good luck, Steve. I hope you make your time goal, but more importantly I hope you make your support goal. I just made our donation (thanks for the link, 25).

ETA: Are people going to cheer him on?

Posted on: 2006/11/4 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/1 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know what kind of runner Fulop is, but regarding Lance, I wouldn't doubt if he finishes near his time.

I was reading some articles last night about Lance and his training for this race, and it said that he took 2 weeks off in October to do a bike tour, and that his running training has resulted in some injuries. also, not only has Lance never run a marathon, his longest run throughout training has only been 16 miles. Lance also said he wants to break 3 hours, but again, judging by his training, it sounds like a long shot.

By the looks of it, Lance is going to have to depend on his competitive drive to push him the whole way, because his training is not.

Posted on: 2006/11/4 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/1 2:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
Quote:

PhillyGirl wrote:
Basically he is a 4-hour guy. And he is a machine.

Uh huh, we get it, no further explanation is necessary.

What kind of batteries does he take?

Posted on: 2006/11/4 13:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/10 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to post on the pro-Fulop thread,even if I have nothing to do with the marathon. I mean. I wish you the best of luck on Sunday and I hope you not only finish, but finish within your goal.

Meanwhile, I was watching my husband run his sixth marathon -- 2 weeks ago in Newport, RI. Since his initial running parter was running her 65th marathon She led out ahead of him shortly. Of course she beat him 3:38 to 4:02 so he has some catching up to do in future marathons. (Meanwhile don't forget that not only was he beaten by a "girl" . . . he was beaten by woman almost twice his age -- ok, not quite, but close: he is 32 and she is 50.

I am impressed with all of the people who applaud mtg effort, but despite my uncompromising standards of civic responsibility, shouldn't we at least take care of our own?!

Asthe JCLISTERS! (whomever we really are, lets take advantage of the primacy given us in the list of nay-sayers/cheerers and screw everyone we don't like. )

I cheer ALL!! and I hope all are suffciently cheesy that if I scream out our address from the side of the road, the runner will recognize and be inspired by the support of his neighbors.

Serisously, all should run hard and represent JC well (esp Steve Fulop -- since he promised and all!!).

Meanwhile, in our home we will take care of 2 babies and do out best not to drop then out a window (of coure not!!)

Posted on: 2006/11/4 6:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EthanCrane wrote:
I have no idea how Steve Fulop does it. He has his regular job, nightly city council or neighborhood meetings, grad school at Columbia, and now hours of daily training at Synergy. I admire him, but boy does he make me feel lazy.

Thanks to GP for starting this thread and to Nuada for posting the link. I just made our donation, and hopefully this little bit will get Councilman Fulop closer to his goal.

I keep thinking to myself that Councilman Fulop is too good to be true, but from what I've seen and personally experienced so far, I'm convined more and more that he is just what this city needs. If/when he does run for mayor, he will definitely have our support again.

Oh by the way, EthanCrane, on top of everything you mentioned, the Councilman attends not one, but two grad schools: NYU and Columbia. Next time I see him, I'll have to check to see if there's a metal panel on his back. He might just be the machine that will dismantle the NJ machine.

GO SUPER-STEVE GO!

Posted on: 2006/11/4 5:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PhillyGirl wrote:
Basically he is a 4-hour guy. And he is a machine.

Uh huh, we get it, no further explanation is necessary.

Posted on: 2006/11/4 5:08

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/10 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Oh, please. My husband has run 8+ marathons and is overwhelmingly fit (can you guess that I am not?). Sadly, many many many people have beaten him. Basically he is a 4-hour guy. And he is a machine. So, if meanwhile Fulup comes through under 4, he will not only be my hero, but many others as well. If he does noticiably slower than 4 hours, all is good too. Both Oprah and Al Gore were over 5 on their first DC marine core marathon.

PS - And warning, here come the caps: GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU RUNNING! YOU KNOW YOU CAN MAKE IT. LOTS OF US ARE COUNTING ON YOU . . . EVEN IF YOU LOST. COME JOIN OUR CELEBRATION OF YOUR EFFORT. WE PROMISE THAT BEER WILL BE PROVIDED FOR ALL FINISHERS . . . NOT JUST FANCY-PANTS WINNERS~~!

P.S. If Steve Fulop is anywhere around, I would like to offer his kudos and congratuations for taking your JC constituents so seriously. This town has so much potential; and so many of us are willing to either let others take advantage, or sit passively by while our ideas are discarded

xoxo -- PhillyGirl (knows how to be tough!)
xoxo 0 Becca

Posted on: 2006/11/4 4:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Grovster, I didn't start a Fulop for Mayor. I like Steve Fulop a lot, I like Mayor Healy too -- my only fear is if Mr. Fulop were to run for mayor that he will split the Healy voters and we might get neither him nor Healy. My fear is that we might get someone who will really hurt downtown and all of jersey City.

Fulop is really great for Downtown -- I'm glad he got elected!

Quote:

grovester wrote:

GrovePath, I'm with you - let's start a Fulop for Mayor rally!

Posted on: 2006/11/4 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
How about The Bachelor: Jersey City? He is so cute and sweet and good...and sporty too!

The idea of running all that way on a cold Sunday is beyond me (plus there is probably a Flavor of Love marathon on) but GO STEVE GO!

Posted on: 2006/11/4 3:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well it's fine that the Councilman signed up for this thing but, as I see it, he has no option now but to win this race. I mean, he is STEVE FULOP. How would it look if he were to lose? Now next year I think he should work on being the first councilman in space to work on urban planning experiments in a zero gravity environment. After that he can relax and maybe pick up a Nobel Prize every few years.

Posted on: 2006/11/4 2:39

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017