Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Ode to Parkman
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

4bailey wrote:
Ode? nah! Not my style ? now, if it?s a ?Friar?s Roast? , I?m there.

Here?s my parkman?s "greatest hit":

Quote:
parkman wrote:
?When I lived in Manhattan, I planted my front yard and had so many plants stolen that I even put chains on the replacements and planted poison ivy, hoping to at least make the thief very uncomfortable. I finally set up a video camera that caught a homeless man stealing the plants and selling them on the corner?

Surveillance cameras!! Deliberately planting poison ivy!!...

You?re on-the-edge and one crazy @ss cracker,? but that level of commitment is what we dig about you!

I know we?re going to continue to disagree on all kinds of things, but I appreciate the dedication.

All the best,
another crazy @ss cracker
4bailey,
I don?t mind you classifying me, as ?one crazy @ss cracker, but let?s not take my comment out of context.
Below is what I said.

?I finally set up a video camera that caught a homeless man stealing the plants and selling them on the corner. All I could get myself to do was to threaten him with arrest if it happened again; fortunately it did not. ?

Posted on: 2006/10/5 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Parkman is going to be in... Hamilton Park on Saturday for FoHP's garden cleanup/planting which I have yet to put on Dan Falcon's event calendar. Come by and say hello to Parkman yourself. He likes to chat.

But I have plans for Parkman... I'm going to hand him a shovel and put him to work in the gardens. Did I tell you he likes to chat?

Posted on: 2006/10/5 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Ode? nah! Not my style ? now, if it?s a ?Friar?s Roast? , I?m there.

Here?s my parkman?s "greatest hit":

Quote:
parkman wrote:
?When I lived in Manhattan, I planted my front yard and had so many plants stolen that I even put chains on the replacements and planted poison ivy, hoping to at least make the thief very uncomfortable. I finally set up a video camera that caught a homeless man stealing the plants and selling them on the corner?

Surveillance cameras!! Deliberately planting poison ivy!!...

You?re on-the-edge and one crazy @ss cracker,? but that level of commitment is what we dig about you!

I know we?re going to continue to disagree on all kinds of things, but I appreciate the dedication.

All the best,
another crazy @ss cracker

Posted on: 2006/10/5 3:10
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rory_bellows wrote:
Parkman, I'm appreciative of the work you've done for the dog run. I feel like I missed something though (maybe since I was on vacation for a while). Last I heard the dog run construction was going to begin in August (as per the sign in the park), and then early Fall. Now it's not going to start at all? Why was the public told that contstruction would begin if plans weren't final?

How much money is needed to make this happen? Has there been any sort of drive to pull the money together? I know there are a ton of dog owners in the neighborhood, myself included, who would be happy to chip in some cash to make this a reality.

Welcome back from vacation.
Please see the thread; ?VVP Dog Run Begins, now it?s up to the community?.
The dates given were in good faith. The delay was a result of last minute City politics, which have since been resolved. The initial construction has started, with the removal of a number of trees. If all goes as planned, excavation will begin next Tuesday.
Again, please see the above thread to donate.
Thank you.

Posted on: 2006/10/5 2:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/12 23:34
Group:
Banned
I agree as well... As much as the $42,000+ price tag really pisses me off, at least someone is actually doing something!

Posted on: 2006/10/5 2:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/5 4:37
Group:
Registered Users
Just want to chime in with my thanks to Parkman and to the other volunteers who have done such a great job in VVP. It's one of the primary reasons that I chose to live in this neighborhood. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Posted on: 2006/10/5 2:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/23 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
Parkman, I'm appreciative of the work you've done for the dog run. I feel like I missed something though (maybe since I was on vacation for a while). Last I heard the dog run construction was going to begin in August (as per the sign in the park), and then early Fall. Now it's not going to start at all? Why was the public told that contstruction would begin if plans weren't final?

How much money is needed to make this happen? Has there been any sort of drive to pull the money together? I know there are a ton of dog owners in the neighborhood, myself included, who would be happy to chip in some cash to make this a reality.

Posted on: 2006/10/5 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
A pleasant surprise to come home tonight and see this.
I don?t know what prompted this thread but I?m very appreciative of your support and acknowledgment of what I?m trying to accomplish in VVP. I truly believe that our park can make a difference in our quality of life and that it reflects well on us as a community.

I?ve taken this process far as I can, trying to provide a dog run for the VVP under financial constraints, administration resistance, and in general, a derisive atmosphere. It?s now up to the dog owners of downtown to decide whether or not they understand that their financial input is necessary to complete this process or adhere to the concept that the City should take care of everything for them.
This dog run is an addition to a park that has already received 1.6 million dollars in funds and never was designed to have a dog run in it. The new bonding for parks by the City is designated toward many parks that have not been addressed for decades and many are in the poorest sections. This is the most affluent part of town and yet the biggest objection I hear, is that the dog owners feel the City should be taking care of the entire cost. I wish that this were the case so I wouldn?t have to put myself out there trying to explain every nuance of a four-year process.
Sorry, but to paraphrase, it?s either ?run, or no run?; it?s now up to and for you.

parkman

Posted on: 2006/10/5 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Sing it, sister!

To continue to do such great work with people constantly b*tching and to remain levelheaded and optimistic in spite of it all -- and not got paid for it -- is to be Parkman. Yay!!!

Posted on: 2006/10/4 16:16

Ode to Parkman
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/10 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
First of all, this is not an actual ode. I can't write poetry.

I don't come around often enough to follow and post everywhere that Parkman gets maligned, so I thought I would just do a one-for-all kind of thing here.

I appreciate you Parkman! And every time I walk through Van Vorst Park (multiple times a day) I make mental thanks to you and all of the others who volunteer their time, energy, manicures, and sanity for the beautification and upkeep of Van Vorst Park. I know, you would prefer my money and my time, but mental thanks is what I have to give right now.

As to specific complaints I have seen on this site:

1) Asking for money to help build the dog run is absolutely acceptable. The goverment pays some, we pay some, makes sense to me. Why do people get so bent out of shape when they are asked for money for public projects? I am super excited about the new dog run, but frankly I'd rather the city spend more money on schools and crime enforcement than mounds for my dog to play on!

2) I love the dog-free areas in VVP. I can take my blanket out there and read a book, eat a picnic, etc. And listening to the complaints of the folks at Hamilton Park just emphasize how great it is that the VVP people got together to make our park friendly to all. (I've only been here a year . . . missed the big hulabaloo).

Overall, I love the park -- the variety of flowers ans shrubs, the adorable drippy fountain, the fenced kids area, etc. Great job.

Now, if we could just get everyone to throw away their cigarrette butts and pick up their dog poop, it would be perfect . . .

Posted on: 2006/10/4 16:06

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017