Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
98 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Ending homelessness in 10 years --- Lucy's Shelter on Grove Street

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/25 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
yes, we serve sat & sun, 7-930am. hot food goes out at 8 am.
we are always looking for volunteers if anyone is interested, you can send me a message or visit gracevanvorst.org

re the article,
i saw a program in philadelphia they started that sounds similar to this, and they greatly reduced the homeless population by implementing a "housing first" program, where they took candidates and provided them with a small apt so they could have showers and amenities, and many of them then were able to get employment and the social services that they needed because they had a mailing address, a safe place to sleep, and were more able to care for themselves. it ended up being cheaper for the govt agencies to pay for the apt than all the other things they had previously been doing.
not sure if this is the same kind of idea.

Posted on: 2006/9/24 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I'm glad to hear that this is a good shelter - doesn't Van Vorst Church also have days they feed the homeless and poor?
===============

TO MAP A PLAN
County officials: No more homelessness in Hudson
Saturday, September 23, 2006
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

An array of officials representing governments, nonprofits, and corporations vowed yesterday to end homelessness in Hudson County within 10 years.

Standing in front of St. Lucy's Shelter on Grove Street in Jersey City, the group, which included County Executive Tom DeGise and Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy, essentially announced a plan to create a 10-year roadmap to accomplish its goal.

Five committees have been formed to study permanent affordable housing, mental health care and other issues surrounding chronic homelessness.

DeGise told the crowd of about 150 that he was initially "skeptical" about eradicating such a "systemic" problem. But he's become convinced the current "uncoordinated hodgepodge of shelters" isn't a winning strategy, he said.

"We (county government) pledge all our resources to work with the good people here today," DeGise said.

There are roughly 3,000 homeless people in Hudson County and only 552 available beds for transition, permanent and emergency housing, county officials said, noting that the county's poverty rate has risen from 9.2 percent to 10.2 percent during the past five years.

This 10-year effort was prompted by a Bush administration initiative to have counties across the nation establish long-range plans to cure homelessness.

Hudson County currently receives $4.6 million in federal money for homeless-related housing, said Kathleen A. Naymola, director of community, development and planning for the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development in Newark.

"The thrust is to spend it better and reach more people," Naymola said.

Barbara Johnson, a 20-year-old single mother, spoke movingly about the help she's received as a resident of St. Joseph's Home in Jersey City, a transitional homeless shelter.

"Since I have been here, I have been able to enroll in college and not have to worry about paying bills or working two jobs and still barely surviving," Johnson said.

Recalling a similar gathering three years ago at New Jersey City University, Jersey City Ward F Councilwoman Viola Richardson said, "I'd like to see us move from the talking stage to action.

"And until I see substantial money allocated for low-income housing, we will continue to increase the homeless population," she said.

Posted on: 2006/9/24 11:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
I was at that Friday morning meeting and it was very inspiring and a great turnout from city, county, state, regional even federal government, along with community groups, non profits, business (Goldman Sachs is co-chair) and interdenominational faith-based groups.

BrightMoment Meetup together with the Harsimus Cove Association, is doing it's first fundraiser to benefit both St. Lucy's Shelter together with needy children for Camp Liberty 2007, the night of the screening of Delivered Vacant on October 21, Sat, from 6-9PM.

Also, the night of our screening for Delivered Vacant we have a dais panel that will discuss the Hudson Alliance "Ten Year Plan to End Chronic Homelessness", led by Susan Mearns, Division Chief, Hudson County Division of Housing and Community Development.

Please be generous with donations (no administrative costs taken out as most charities do)and buy tickets as well.

Click on Harsimus Cove logo below in my sig to buy tickets or make donations to the Harsimus Cove Association Fundraiser:
Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/9/24 6:35
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
[...] "End homelessness"? not until someone invents an instant cure for substance addictions. I'm not being critical but that's what 75% of homelessness is all about.

Probably true, but it should be noted that shit happens and some people lose everything or the means to pay rent due to unfortunate circumstances. When I was dropping stuff off once, I met a guy that lost his job as a super and lost his free apartment. It turned out he was a great handyman and I had him do some work for me. He was extremely talented and skilful, just down on his luck.

Oh sure, without a doubt. There are lots of people living just on the edge. A lot more of the shit you speak of will happen as the cost of housing/living around here continues to rise and wages continue to stagnate.

Posted on: 2006/9/24 0:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fasteddie wrote:
[...] "End homelessness"? not until someone invents an instant cure for substance addictions. I'm not being critical but that's what 75% of homelessness is all about.

Probably true, but it should be noted that shit happens and some people lose everything or the means to pay rent due to unfortunate circumstances. When I was dropping stuff off once, I met a guy that lost his job as a super and lost his free apartment. It turned out he was a great handyman and I had him do some work for me. He was extremely talented and skilful, just down on his luck.

Posted on: 2006/9/23 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
I have always dropped off my unwanted (unwanted because I have expanded another notch) clothing to St. Lucys. They have a real need for good used clothing. The more I eat, the better they dress. "End homelessness"? not until someone invents an instant cure for substance addictions. I'm not being critical but that's what 75% of homelessness is all about.

Posted on: 2006/9/23 23:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/15 17:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have personally donated trays of food to St. Lucy's shelter. They happily accepted!!

Posted on: 2006/9/23 22:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Newsboy wrote:
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:
It's way the heck north on Grove on the hoboken border. Besides, they are sheltering the homeless, not fostering it. Lucy's is a very worthy place to donate food or anything else worthwhile, including furniture. They have a van and are able to pick up, though I don't know if they make a habit of it.

St. Lusy's is not on the Hoboken border. It's at 16th and Grove.

They don't accept any donations such as furniture. I think they don't even accept food.

It's a place for the homeless to sleep and shower. Most of them don't like because of violence and theft. The homeless there go to hamilton park to spend their time.

St. Lucys kicks them out before noon and has a curfew time when they lock the doors.

I'm not going to quibble about 2 blocks or whatever, but I have personally (my business) donated tons of food and furniture. They are extremely appreciative of donations.

Posted on: 2006/9/23 22:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 20:11
From Downtown, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:
It's way the heck north on Grove on the hoboken border. Besides, they are sheltering the homeless, not fostering it. Lucy's is a very worthy place to donate food or anything else worthwhile, including furniture. They have a van and are able to pick up, though I don't know if they make a habit of it.

St. Lusy's is not on the Hoboken border. It's at 16th and Grove.

They don't accept any donations such as furniture. I think they don't even accept food.

It's a place for the homeless to sleep and shower. Most of them don't like because of violence and theft. The homeless there go to hamilton park to spend their time.

St. Lucys kicks them out before noon and has a curfew time when they lock the doors.

Posted on: 2006/9/23 21:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
I didn't know there was a shelter on ''grove Street -- is that why homeless sleep on Newark and Grove Street?

This is a real question not an attack on the homeless!

Posted on: 2006/9/23 21:07

Ending homelessness in 10 years --- Lucy's Shelter on Grove Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I didn't know there was a shelter on ''grove Street -- is that why homeless sleep on Newark and Grove Street?

This is a real question not an attack on the homeless!
=====================

Ending homelessness in 10 years -- Local officials at kickoff event Friday to announce county plan

Ricardo Kaulessar - Reporter staff writer - 09/22/2006

On Friday, representatives from government, business and non-profit sectors in Hudson County gathered at the steps of St. Lucy's Shelter on Grove Street in Jersey City.

"We're not declaring war on homelessness today in Hudson County," said Dan Altilio, the president of the United Way of Hudson County. "We are announcing that we are ending homelessness in Hudson County."

The various groups have been involved in drawing up a plan for the federal department of Housing and Urban Development to end homelessness in the county within 10 years.

Based on a count done this past April, there are 2,973 homeless people (considered an undercount) and 552 available beds in permanent, transitional and emergency facilities in Hudson County.

The county has three main homeless shelters: St. Lucy's in Jersey City, the Hoboken Homeless Shelter in Hoboken, and the PERC shelter in Union City.

The 10-year plan calls for transitioning chronically homeless persons into permanent housing and providing the necessary services to ensure that they maintain housing.

Posted on: 2006/9/23 18:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017