Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Sawadee Thai Restaurant

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/22 2:54
Group:
Registered Users
Took my wife there the other night. At first we were skeptical b/c it was on Newark Ave., but once we walked it we were both pleasantly surprised. The ambiance was very nice and comparable to digs in NYC. The music was good and not too loud. The hosts and staff were friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable about both the food and wine menu.

I ordered the Pad Kee Mao (flat noodle dish) with shrimp and my wife ordered the spicy mixed vegetables with tofu. The food was very tasty, spicy, and the portions were large. My only complaints about the Pad Kee Mao was that there were too many noodles and not enough shrimp/veggies.

I found the prices to reasonable and wine/drink menu, though limited in terms of selection, was a bargain compared to other restaurants.

Bottom Line: Best Thai Food Restaurant in JC to date. Would go again. Good amount of options for vegetarians.

Posted on: 2007/6/25 15:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/28 11:43
Group:
Registered Users
I agree.  The food is pretty good.  I've only tried the vegetarian mock duck in coconut/red curry sauce.  Highly suggested.  They don't give you enough rice though.  You will need 2 portions of rice for that dish. 
I've been there twice and it seems like the wait staff-although friendly-they're still getting their act together.  Both times I've been there it has been extrememly cold from the AC.
Try it though.

Posted on: 2007/6/25 21:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/12/14 4:00
From Erie Street
Group:
Registered Users
They deliver to the Exchange Place offices - and their lunch menu is extensive and cheap. My office mates and I were impressed - no-wrinkle ordering process, food came very quickly, and it was tasty!

Posted on: 2007/6/25 23:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/6/30 2:27
Group:
Registered Users
Could you possibly post the menu? I can't find it online and I don't often walk by that area. Thanks.

Posted on: 2007/6/26 13:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/31 0:03
Group:
Registered Users
Must say I had delivery last night and it was as good as anything this side of the Hudson and can certainly compete with many places in NYC. Green Curry was good, pad thai-so hard to screw up but Wild Fusion finds a way every time-was good, Som Tom was ok-not offensive- but needed some tweaking. Finally a good delivery place.

Posted on: 2007/6/26 14:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Finally made it last night with the family - found parking on Grove, too.

Here's the review:

Appetizers:
- Calamar tough, not so good
- Roti - delicious you gotta have this, but no chicken pieces
- some sort of puff pastry, forgot the name, Excellent

Main:
- Crispy Duck with spicy sauce - Excellent
- Filet of flounder with mango sauce ( I think - had too much wine) - Excellent
- Pad Thai - Excellent

2 orders of Green Tea Ice cream, 1 of Mango

One bottle of Smoking Loon Cabernet, 4 thai iced teas

$135 including tip, great value.

Posted on: 2007/7/3 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
was there last night. very nice and affordable. hope all of you doing take out will give the sit-down a chance. then it can truly be a fun dining experience. last night was pretty full at 9:30pm. good sign. clean bathrooms too - actuially i was surprised at how vast that place is.

More restaurants! more restaurants!

Posted on: 2007/7/4 19:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/10 18:55
Group:
Registered Users
I was there last week on a Saturday evening. I found the good to be pretty good. I am not Thai or Asian. But having eaten Thai food in dozen other places, I can compare and I found the food here to be tasty and good for the palate.

Glad we have a decent Thai restaurant in town.

Residents like us need to give these places a chance ny eating out in our neighborhood. That is the best way to helping local food joints flourish which in turn will attract/lure more retailers.

I will definitely go back to Sawadee!

Cheers!

Posted on: 2007/7/11 21:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
Got Sawadee delivery the other night. Fast, hot, nice portion sizes.

I got spicy lemongrass chicken, which came with white rice. It was good, and quite spicy. (A change from many places that mark their items as "spicy" but then they aren't very spicy - to me at least.) My boyfriend got something called fried pineapple rice with chicken. Which was sweet and delicious. We both really liked that.

I think the 2 entrees were $21 total. And we got enough for leftovers for lunch the next day.

They said delivery would be a half-hour and it came pretty much exactly 30 minutes later. And the food was steaming hot, which was good.

We liked it. We will definitely order from them again. (And try eating in the restaurant, someday.)

Posted on: 2007/7/12 0:52
Thank you for making The Great Jersey City SOUP SWAP an annual success! See you in January 2013 for the next Soup Swap!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 22:46
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry folks -
we added new menus last week and we're working on getting restaurants for rest of JC, Bergen, Heights, etc.

HudsonMenus - Sawadee

T

Posted on: 2007/7/15 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quick - get in to Sawadee today so you can taste the Crispy Duck Pad thai and the Red Snapper(forgot the name of the sauce) specials. Yum !

Posted on: 2007/7/17 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
i think i read somewhere that the owner of this restaurant was the same as the one in paulus hook. however, the food tastes way better and the ambience is nicer as well. too bad there are a bunch of weirdos walking around on newark always looking in (the same also happens at soul flavor).

Posted on: 2007/7/17 21:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/30 19:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote: too bad there are a bunch of weirdos walking around on newark always looking in

Sorry! I was just looking at the menu.

Posted on: 2007/7/18 3:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Alex, picked up the crispy duck pad thai on the way home last night. Excellent! A little pricey at $16 after tax, but masarap!

Posted on: 2007/7/18 12:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, kabayan, it really was delicious. comparable to a good palabok.

I also tried the martini specials - what's the deal with these "new" martinis - they've no kick at all... they supposed to be for the alcohol-challenged?

Quote:

bolew wrote:
Alex, picked up the crispy duck pad thai on the way home last night. Excellent! A little pricey at $16 after tax, but masarap!

Posted on: 2007/7/18 18:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/23 11:08
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went there for the first time last night. I was very impressed with the food, service, and decor. It's a VERY welcome addition to Newark Ave. Slowly but surely, Newark is becoming what folks have been envisioning for years.

Two people, two appetizers, two entres, four glasses of wine...$54 bucks pre-tip. Well worth it.

Posted on: 2007/7/21 21:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
We TRIED to go to this place.
The sign on the door posted their hours, which we were well within at 3:30pm, and they had an open sign in the door, and we were greeted and told they were closed and if we wanted we could come back after 5pm, even though there were two other tables eating in there.
I won't ever go back. Suck it Sawadee.
We went to Sushi Tango instead and had a really great meal.

Posted on: 2007/7/22 23:45

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/30 18:54
Group:
Banned
I tired this place last night because it seems to get fairly good reviews. It was awful, I would have been better off getting take out Chinese.
I ordered fried red snapper and a side of mixed vegetables. I ordered both SPICY. First off let me say I have been to Thailand and I work for a Thai company. This food was NOT Thai.
The fish was not even fried! It was simply defrosted and covered in a slimy bland sauce and not even a tiny spicy. The veggies were the typical side of steamed veggies covered in the same slimy oily goo. Take out Chinese style. Again NO SPICE.

When I told the waitress this was not Thai food, she said "Not everything on the menu was Thai, but the basil chicken was" What!!! It is a Thai restaurant!

Both the dishes had not even a hint of fried chilies, cilantro, garlic, lemon grass or tamarind. This is crap and I can't believe that just because they have cloth table clothes people eat here. I am so mad!!

Thai food is super crisp clean and refreshing, with a mix of lime, green apples, cilantro and chilies. Do not let them fool you.

Posted on: 2007/7/24 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
Our last experience was not good either - I had some gross, overly fried chicken dish and in spite of my asking for "extra spicy" it was completely bland. Everything is overpriced too - these same dishes would be $3-$5 cheaper in most Brooklyn or Queens Thai places, and they'd also probably be better..

Posted on: 2007/7/24 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I've practically lived in Bangkok in the early 90's, and if you are referring to Thai Street Food - you're better off going to Sri Thai in Hoboken. That's real Thai Street food. This is more of an "updated" or modern (read: Luxury Hotel Restaurant) type food.

Quote:

lostgirl wrote:
I tired this place last night because it seems to get fairly good reviews. It was awful, I would have been better off getting take out Chinese.
I ordered fried red snapper and a side of mixed vegetables. I ordered both SPICY. First off let me say I have been to Thailand and I work for a Thai company. This food was NOT Thai.
The fish was not even fried! It was simply defrosted and covered in a slimy bland sauce and not even a tiny spicy. The veggies were the typical side of steamed veggies covered in the same slimy oily goo. Take out Chinese style. Again NO SPICE.

When I told the waitress this was not Thai food, she said "Not everything on the menu was Thai, but the basil chicken was" What!!! It is a Thai restaurant!

Both the dishes had not even a hint of fried chilies, cilantro, garlic, lemon grass or tamarind. This is crap and I can't believe that just because they have cloth table clothes people eat here. I am so mad!!

Thai food is super crisp clean and refreshing, with a mix of lime, green apples, cilantro and chilies. Do not let them fool you.

Posted on: 2007/7/24 17:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/19 19:46
From Greenville
Group:
Registered Users
I went last night with my family and we all loved it. The menu offers something for everyone and the food is very fresh, plentiful and well prepared. I had the mango & avacado salad and it was awesome.

Posted on: 2007/8/10 14:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/22 20:18
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
based on the most recent comments, it appears molly is right...........

This is every new JC restaurant thread:
"I heard this place is opening." "Can't wait." "What's the menu going to be?" "Anyone know?" "Went there last night. AMAZING!" "Such a great addition to the neighborhood!" "Where is this place?" "Oh my God I'm going tomorrow!" "What are the hours?" "This place is so tasty. WE haven't had this since the last time WE were in (fill in blank)." "Oh my God I can't wait to try it!" "Where is this place?" "Tried it. A little expensive." "WE tried it last nite. Delivery. A little slow. And cold." "A little expensive." "Ordered delivery. Who are they trying to fool?" "This isn't food." "Service slow." "THERE'S NO ROOM FOR KIDS OR STROLLERS!" "Very expensive." "This place blows." "I heard this place closed." "Why?"

Posted on: 2007/8/11 3:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/8/21 19:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caps wrote:

"I heard this place is opening." "Can't wait." "What's the menu going to be?" "Anyone know?" "Went there last night. AMAZING!" "Such a great addition to the neighborhood!" "Where is this place?" "Oh my God I'm going tomorrow!" "What are the hours?" "This place is so tasty. WE haven't had this since the last time WE were in (fill in blank)." "Oh my God I can't wait to try it!" "Where is this place?" "Tried it. A little expensive." "WE tried it last nite. Delivery. A little slow. And cold." "A little expensive." "Ordered delivery. Who are they trying to fool?" "This isn't food." "Service slow." "THERE'S NO ROOM FOR KIDS OR STROLLERS!" "Very expensive." "This place blows." "I heard this place closed." "Why?"

Post of the year easily. Funny and sad at the same time, but 100% true.

Posted on: 2007/8/11 3:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If the Thai place can serve up a burger like this, then I'm there every week-end!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2007/8/11 11:53
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/19 21:47
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pennington wrote:
Quote:

caps wrote:

Post of the year easily. Funny and sad at the same time, but 100% true.

You left out my favorite: It's not authentic -i.e. it doesn't taste like my grannies or the vegetables were not fertilized with night soil like they are in ......

Thanks for the post - made for my first laugh of the morning

Posted on: 2007/8/11 13:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/20 5:33
Group:
Banned
I'm always right. That's the problem.

Posted on: 2007/8/12 6:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/11/9 19:01
Group:
Registered Users
Went to Sawadee tonight. It was okay. Nice environment, but I can't say the Green Curry with chicken was much better than Wild Fusion. And my wife's Pad Thai was, well, Pad Thai. Of course, Fusion has sushi, so that might give them an edge. All in all, it's nice to have another restaurant in the area. Unfortunately, you have to wade knee-deep into the local lowlifes to get there. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and move to Newport. Nice homogenized, Newport.

Posted on: 2007/8/12 6:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/9 5:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Went to Sawadee tonight. It was okay. Nice environment, but I can't say the Green Curry with chicken was much better than Wild Fusion. And my wife's Pad Thai was, well, Pad Thai. Of course, Fusion has sushi, so that might give them an edge. All in all, it's nice to have another restaurant in the area. Unfortunately, you have to wade knee-deep into the local lowlifes to get there. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and move to Newport. Nice homogenized, Newport

Was hoping to at least try this place, but you unfavorable comparison to Wild Fusion just scared me away.

Is this a reasonable comparison? Would love to hear some opinions, because my experience with WF is that a lot of their food is borderline inedible.

Tough break on having to actually see "undesirables", Peabody... what a wonderful world it would be if simply none existed, huh?

Posted on: 2007/8/13 19:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/4/29 10:29
Group:
Banned
please dont compare sawadee to WF. its like comparing taqueria and fresh tortillas, if you get my drift.

at the very least sawadee uses copious amounts of fresh lightly cooked veggies, in their dishes, not frozen overcooked lifeless wannabe veggies.

and their pad thai is not a fake pink color like the crap from WF.

no, sawadee isnt perfect, but for delivery and staying close to home, they get my vote!

Posted on: 2007/8/13 19:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/7 1:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Abe_Froman wrote:
Quote:
Went to Sawadee tonight. It was okay. Nice environment, but I can't say the Green Curry with chicken was much better than Wild Fusion. And my wife's Pad Thai was, well, Pad Thai. Of course, Fusion has sushi, so that might give them an edge. All in all, it's nice to have another restaurant in the area. Unfortunately, you have to wade knee-deep into the local lowlifes to get there. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and move to Newport. Nice homogenized, Newport

Was hoping to at least try this place, but you unfavorable comparison to Wild Fusion just scared me away.

Is this a reasonable comparison? Would love to hear some opinions, because my experience with WF is that a lot of their food is borderline inedible.

Tough break on having to actually see "undesirables", Peabody... what a wonderful world it would be if simply none existed, huh?

Uhh...no it's not a reasonable comparison, IMO. I think Sawadee blows WF away in all respects. Except for their non-existent sushi - which may actually be better than WF. It's more consistent, anyway.

Posted on: 2007/8/13 19:47

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017