Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: JCPD Deputy Chief John Sheyka Dies
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
JCPD loses a cop legendary for his smarts, and his caring
Friday, September 08, 2006
By MICHAELANGELO CONTE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

Jersey City Deputy Police Chief John Sheyka, the most decorated cop in the city's history, died yesterday, apparently of natural causes, in his Lafayette section home, authorities said.

Sheyka had a legendary 33-year service record, Police Chief Tom Comey said, earning 78 awards from the Jersey City Police Department and the FBI.

There were so many awards and plaques on a wall in his home, Deputy Chief Peter Nalbach, that it was hard to see the paint color.

He hadn't taken a sick day since 1973, Comey said.

"We used to have to tell him, 'John, go on vacation! We'll call you when you have to come back,'" Comey said.

Sheyka remained in the Lafayette Section home where he was raised, leaving a pencil and pad on his front stoop so people could leave him crime tips when he wasn't home, and paid informants out of his own pocket if that's what it took to solve a crime, Comey said.

But he also would bring food to relatives of people he'd locked up, and alongside his many service awards he hung up pictures of people who had turned their lives around after he'd arrested them.

When Comey graduated from the Police Academy in 1981, he was told that if he had a problem on the street he ought to call Honda Able One - Sheyka's radio name, which dated to the days he rode a scooter.

"It was the best information I got at the academy," Comey said. "And as chief I still relied on his counsel."

Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio said Sheyka was "completely dedicated to whatever position and assignment he had. His institutional memory was superior to that of the most sophisticated computer."

Police Director Sam Jefferson said Sheyka was known even at the national level for his knowledge of the streets.

Posted on: 2006/9/8 12:12

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/9 18:02
From The Little Italy Section (Back Then)
Group:
Registered Users
I've said for 20 years that he was the best cop Jersey City ever had. It's a big loss to everyone in JC. He was always the first one on the scene even after he moved up in the ranks and did not need to.

It was a great honor to have known him. R.I.P.

Posted on: 2006/9/8 3:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/27 5:04
Group:
Registered Users
This is a huge loss for the JCPD and citizens of Jersey City. Deputy Chief Sheyka performed his job with honor, integrity, and zeal. He was well respected on the job and on the streets as a fair and just cop. I am deeply saddened by this news and will keep his family and friends in my thoughts during this difficult time. He will be missed.

Posted on: 2006/9/8 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Newsboy wrote:
Deputy Chief John Sheyka died today. The JCPD sadly announced the passing of D/C John Sheyka.

John was without a doubt the most knowledgeable person in the Jersey City Police Dept.

In over 33 years of service he never took a sick day, and had 100's of merit and service awards.

I've spoken in the past that the good out weighs the bad in the dept. He is a shining example of the GOOD!

My prayers go out to his family, the JCPD on this sudden loss.

Rest in peace DC John, it was an honor to have known you.

He was honored this year for the amazing work he did during a hosatge situation, FYI it says JCFD but he is JCPD: Here is the link

Posted on: 2006/9/8 2:24

JCPD Deputy Chief John Sheyka Dies
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 20:11
From Downtown, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Deputy Chief John Sheyka died today. The JCPD sadly announced the passing of D/C John Sheyka.

John was without a doubt the most knowledgeable person in the Jersey City Police Dept.

Posted on: 2006/9/8 1:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017