Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
on a completely un-kid-dog-poop-related note:

somebody brought up the need for more benches, perhaps along the long shady avenues coming in from the 4 corners. how about getting neighbors to sponsor them? buy a bench and get a plaque on it honoring a loved one, a business or your own fine self.

I will even volunteer to spearhead this project, having just spent the morning on a lovely-but-a-bit-too-sun-drenched-for-my-pale-taste bench by the gazebo.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 15:30

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/29 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
From what I've heard from our neighborhood committee-man the sign problem is definitely being worked on. Fulop is working on it and they are approaching a solution but we should be patient. Calling the DPW or Parks Dept will not speed up the process. Give it a couple of weeks and we'll hopefully have satisfaction. It seems like a simple thing but alas this is Jersey City.

That is correct. The goal is to get this straightened out asap, maybe before the July 4th holiday.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
From what I've heard from our neighborhood committee-man the sign problem is definitely being worked on. Fulop is working on it and they are approaching a solution but we should be patient. Calling the DPW or Parks Dept will not speed up the process. Give it a couple of weeks and we'll hopefully have satisfaction. It seems like a simple thing but alas this is Jersey City.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
All the hard work to make our park gorgeous has been undermined by these huge black and white signs placed every 5 feet. Without shifting my gaze an inch I can see at least 4 of these ridiculous reminders. Was there really no subtler alternative? Van Vorst Park manages to keep a lid on the kids-versus-dogs volcano with just a couple of well-placed, unobtrusive signs.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 14:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 0:21
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, I'm not taing any cues from Iran. But any thoughts on you taking a one way ticket?

Posted on: 2010/6/26 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
We should all chillax and then take a cue from Iran:

http://www.rferl.org/content/article/1078672.html

Posted on: 2010/6/26 13:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jersey_girl72 wrote:
There are no signs on the walkway that pets are not allowed. Feel free to use them. I wouldn't try to respond to people yelling at me. Most of them are lunatics and you can't reason with crazy people.

I plan to call/email everyday until the signs are corrected. Anyone going to the next HPA meeting, July 7th?

They are working on the signs, they will be corrected. I asked early this am if dogs were banned from the walkways and the answer is absolutely NOT banned. They however must be on a leash which makes sense.

I have yet to see a dog owner abusing the park, we however are being verbally abused. You bet your ass I will respond. Education is power and the sooner they know we are allowed on the grass on the 8th street side the sooner they will stop yelling!

Posted on: 2010/6/26 13:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There are no signs on the walkway that pets are not allowed. Feel free to use them. I wouldn't try to respond to people yelling at me. Most of them are lunatics and you can't reason with crazy people.

I plan to call/email everyday until the signs are corrected. Anyone going to the next HPA meeting, July 7th?

Posted on: 2010/6/26 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Doozer wrote:
Only the two west lawns, that are next to West Hamilton Pl. are suppose to be marked "pet free" and the two lawns that are along 8th street are suppose to be pet friendly (aka family friendly). I have walked through with my dog and my son, yesterday, and they only put the signs back where they were. They did not fix the positions. Hopefully the town will do it soon, as I was getting some dirty looks for having my dog on the walkways on that side of the park.

Dogs are allowed on all walkways in the park. Or.... has that changed now?

Posted on: 2010/6/26 4:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Tonight around 11:00pm I walked my dogs around the park got lazy and decided to cross thru the park. I walked on the walkway untill I got to the 8th street side, stoped and chatted with a few people and went on my way. I went into the grass where it is deemed a "pet friendly zone" and within seconds an older gentleman started yelling at me for being on the grass. I tried to explain to him that this side is pet friendly but he would not listen to a single word. This is the 4th time some one has verbally attacked me for being on the grass. WTF!!! I dont let my dogs dig, I pick up the crap, I do not go into the pet free zone, yet still ............these idiots that dont know any better yell.
What really got me was that right next to me there were a bunch of kids that were messing with the sprinklers trying to fill water balloons. They clearly knocked the sprinkler head off right in front of us. I yelled at them and shooed them off and bent down to fix the sprinkler. He STILL continued to lecture me, standing over me, bitching about the dogs and grass.

Needless to say I lost my temper and called him names as he walked off calling me crazy!!! UGH!!

Posted on: 2010/6/26 4:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/11/27 22:56
Group:
Registered Users
Let them put the fence back up. We can all admire it from afar and stop saying such dicky stuff to out neighbors.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I was telling my husband today that, given all the bickering and bad feelings, they should just put a glass bubble over the park. It would be an urban terrarium and no one would be allowed to use it.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 2:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jersey_girl72 wrote:
If the signs are not addressed promptly, I give it five days before they are altered again to "PET ZONE". hehehe!

Or maybe they disappear altogether!!!

Not on my watch, sister.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 2:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If the signs are not addressed promptly, I give it five days before they are altered again to "PET ZONE". hehehe!

Or maybe they disappear altogether!!!

Posted on: 2010/6/26 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Of course people who relived by the added bonus of the additional pet free lawn should call the afore posted agencies to express your gratitude and ask that they stay that way.

Also if you see someone breaking the rule feel free to confront them. I certainly look forward to it.

Posted on: 2010/6/26 0:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned
>>>>Of these, the DPF is the authoritative source of where the zones should be, but the other two should be able to help at least provide information or assist in contacting the city.>>>>>
That's it, in a nutshell. They put them there and that's where they're gonna stay. Good luck changing it.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 18:28

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/7/1 1:18
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

4bailey wrote:
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
The corrected "Pet-Free Zone" signs are back. Are they in the right areas of the park?...

DEFINITELY NOT!!... By my count now THREE lawns are marked "PET-FREE".

I bet that the HPNA and "family initiative" types (especially the ones who always preface their points with "..but I have a dog") won't be so quick to ask the city to correct it.

The signs are still incorrect. Regarding correcting them, reading this thread it seems evident our ward E councilman is working to get this resolved and at least based on the comments of the HPNA member(s) that post here, it looks like they are as well.

There is nothing stopping someone from following up with the city directly if one feels the responses are insufficient. I doubt posting to JCList or berating each other is enough to get the city to respond...

City contact information is:

Division of Parks and Forestry
Public Works Complex, 575 Route 440
Jersey City, NJ 07305
Tel: (201) 547-4449
Fax: (201) 547-5737

Rodney Hadley, Director
http://www.cityofjerseycity.com/public_works.aspx?id=1430

Ward E councilman:
Councilman Steven Fulop
PO Box 13025
Jersey City, NJ 07303

info@stevenfulop.com
http://www.stevenfulop.com/contact

HPNA:
hpnajc@gmail.com
http://hpnajc.blogspot.com/
(and/or attend monthly meetings and ask)

Of these, the DPF is the authoritative source of where the zones should be, but the other two should be able to help at least provide information or assist in contacting the city.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

icechute wrote:
Big babies. All of you.

ouch.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/28 17:36
Group:
Banned
Big babies. All of you.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Doozer wrote:
Only the two west lawns, that are next to West Hamilton Pl. are suppose to be marked "pet free" and the two lawns that are along 8th street are suppose to be pet friendly (aka family friendly). I have walked through with my dog and my son, yesterday, and they only put the signs back where they were. They did not fix the positions. Hopefully the town will do it soon, as I was getting some dirty looks for having my dog on the walkways on that side of the park.

I have explained to several dog-owners that the signs are misplaced and they are allowed to use that lawn. I have gotten dirty looks too but I couldn't care less. I just hope Fulop is taking care of this. It would take a matter of minutes for the contractor to remove them. I would suggest calling the DPW as well as they are ultimately responsible for this screw-up. The Director is Rodney Hadley and the number there is 201-547-4402.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 13:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/15 16:15
Group:
Banned
The initial placement of the signs was a deliberate act to gauge public opinion. Now that they "have it" they can and will use it to justify the sign placements.

You can believe that the first placing was an "error" if that makes you feel good. But the second -- permanent -- placing in the exact same areas as the first is a deliberate act to close off a significant portioin of the park to those with pets. It will be justified as "we're only doing what the people want."

Those of use who have lived here for any serious length of time will tell you that this is the way it has always been done.

Rights are always taken away a little at a time so as not to awaken a comatose public.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Doozer wrote:

But the truth is, NONE of the walkways are off-limits to dogs. Only the grass of those sections are.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 13:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/2 6:41
Group:
Banned
Suspect number one was in the park this morning. The noose tightens.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 13:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/16 1:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/6/25 12:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 13:46
From Intersection of Venerated @ Ensconced
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Eleanor_A wrote:
The corrected "Pet-Free Zone" signs are back. Are they in the right areas of the park?...

DEFINITELY NOT!!... By my count now THREE lawns are marked "PET-FREE".

I bet that the HPNA and "family initiative" types (especially the ones who always preface their points with "..but I have a dog") won't be so quick to ask the city to correct it.

Posted on: 2010/6/25 10:16
"Dogs are our link to paradise." - Milan Kundera

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
The corrected "Pet-Free Zone" signs are back. Are they in the right areas of the park? I saw them at the corner of 8th and West Hamilton.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 19:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/21 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Hrmph wrote:
Slightly on/off topic. I haven't gotten up to the park since I moved here, and now that it is open, was wondering what the quality of basketball play is up there. I played HS ball and intramural in college, and played pickup games a few times over the years. Are the guys who play really good?

I wouldn't know. I just stand there at 11pm bouncing a ball looking suspicious.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 16:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Hrmph wrote:
Slightly on/off topic. I haven't gotten up to the park since I moved here, and now that it is open, was wondering what the quality of basketball play is up there. I played HS ball and intramural in college, and played pickup games a few times over the years. Are the guys who play really good?

"Fuel? Meet fire...."

Posted on: 2010/6/24 15:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/2 13:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/6/24 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
My guess is that the self-appointed "Stroller-Mom-Militia" are the same types who install a $2,500 Gaggenau cooktop in their new "gourmet" kitchens and then freak out if someone actually tries to use it to cook something.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 14:31

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017