Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i was there for a while today and it just looked like everyone was having a great time. isn't that what we want?

the only thing i really noticed out of line was the large dog run's garbage can was over flowed. they may need to get large ones like they have in lincoln park since it's going to be used very heavily.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 4:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/16 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Vigilante wrote:
Quote:
Shouldn't this say * Voice your concerns and questions about the park, including the Basketball court? There hasn't been one iota of a problem emanating from the dog-runs. Stop deflecting. Admit you guys blew it, clean up the court and move on.

Looks like an honest omission to me. Cut 'em some slack; they just got your big, beautiful dog run built.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 3:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
People are using the Basketball court. That demonstrates that it was a good decision to have it. No one blew anything.

Park renovation = totally excellent.

You're just a punk.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:
Park maintenance is on the agenda for the June HPNA membership meeting:

WEDNESDAY, June 2nd 2010 ? 7:45 PM
Cordero Elementary School Auditorium

We expect to have city officials present to discuss issues such as litter in the courts and other quality of life issues.

Excerpt from the June newsletter:
Park Concerns ? open forum
* Voice your concerns and questions about the park, including the dog run.
* Make suggestions on how the community can take care of our treasure.
* Clean-up and garden maintenance committees.

Quote:

Falcon wrote:
I was outraged to see the trash and have been thinking about a more positive solution. There is a blue garbage bin next to bleachers - there is no excuse, I observed one young guy purchase a icey and put the empty cup in the blue bin while another finished a water a put the empty under the bench...

Shouldn't this say

* Voice your concerns and questions about the park, including the Basketball court?

There hasn't been one iota of a problem emanating from the dog-runs. Stop deflecting. Admit you guys blew it, clean up the court and move on.

If you put in a shooting range people would use it, doesn't make it smart. Interesting that a guy like "Martino" who likes basketball was a vocal opponent to the court. Even he understood that it is a blight and makes the park look like trash. When you guys did your boobs maybe you should've had the nose done too. Basketball court = Fail.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
People are using the Basketball court. That demonstrates that it was a good decision to have it. No one blew anything.

Park renovation = totally excellent.

You're just a punk.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:

We expect to have city officials present to discuss issues such as litter in the courts and other quality of life issues.

Quote:

Falcon wrote:
I was outraged to see the trash and have been thinking about a more positive solution. There is a blue garbage bin next to bleachers - there is no excuse, I observed one young guy purchase a icey and put the empty cup in the blue bin while another finished a water a put the empty under the bench...

Shouldn't this say

* Voice your concerns and questions about the park, including the Basketball court?

There hasn't been one iota of a problem emanating from the dog-runs. Stop deflecting. Admit you guys blew it, clean up the court and move on.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:

Quote:

Falcon wrote:

Shouldn't this say

Posted on: 2010/6/1 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One thing I couldn't help but notice is that there are slightly more people using the small dog run with their small dogs than people using the large dog run with their larger dogs. This is quite contrary to what everyone said would happen.

Many many people in the large dog run have commented how big it is.

Also, several people have commented that the park in general looks much large as a result of the new lay out.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 2:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/29 17:28
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Falcon wrote:

Posted on: 2010/6/1 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
i was there for a few hours today with my dog. it looks great!

Posted on: 2010/6/1 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Walked by our newly renovated park last night at midnight - lights were on, sprinkler system was watering, people were strolling with dogs, babies, girl/boyfriends, etc. It was *great*.

Stopped in today to check it out in daylight and am amazed at the transformation. Hadn't even realized just how much I missed it. The best part of all is that the wait for reopening is now long forgotten.

My hope is that we all take care of this special place. We live in a beautiful neighborhood.

Posted on: 2010/6/1 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Finally got to visit the park today. Got an overpriced sandwich at Christos on 9th and Coles then sat by the Gazebo and had lunch.

They really did a nice job. While having my sandwich, I was admiring the new walkways. Very nice detail. I like all the patterns going on.

After finishing my sandwich, I then placed the refuse in the garbage. Also picked up a few pieces of litter that I saw and put in the garbage.

One observation - the trash cans are overflowing!!! JCIA get on this immediately. Based on use, I think they should be emptied daily. I also think there might need to be more trash cans.

The kids seem to LOVE the new playground. I wish I were a kid again.

Is the fountain eventually going to have water flowing down, or is it for decorative purposes only? Would be nice if it worked and was on.

Overall Kudos to all. Nice job. Glad it is open once again.

FG

Posted on: 2010/5/31 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I would have no problem with closing the BB Court for an hour to make the people who use it clean up.

In terms of the comment that some kids were hogging the courts that's standard practice. Public courts are a first come first service basis. The way to get in is to ask if some of your group can rotate in with the existing group or wait it out. Until the previous game is over. From what I remember, we played 21 point games.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 12:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/3 2:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Finally got to walk through the park today. I think they did a great job on the renovation and was very pleased so many people were taking advantage of the new and improved park.

I was a bit dismayed at the litter by the basketball courts. My husband also noted how the same kids hogged the court while other kids waited but couldn't play.

I know there are people who clean up after the kids and that is wonderful. It's a shame that not all the kids are able to have their turn on the court because a few kids have made it 'theirs." This area of the park seems to be the most problematic since the park re-opened just a few days ago. Is there someway of monitoring the court so it is kept clean and everyone gets a turn to play?

Posted on: 2010/5/31 6:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I was outraged to see the trash and have been thinking about a more positive solution. There is a blue garbage bin next to bleachers - there is no excuse, I observed one young guy purchase a icey and put the empty cup in the blue bin while another finished a water a put the empty under the bench.

How about using the carrot instead of the stick? I am thinking of getting a couple cases of Fizzy Lizzy and offering it to all the kids playing basketball in exchange for them enforcing a no litter policy in the park. I could call Lizzy and ask her for a donation or a few of us could contribute to the effort and get something similar. Either way I am not going to do it myself and if others dont join the effort then what you see is what you get.

My theory is that juveniles that litter in broad daylight with witnesses all around saying nothing will be more likely to commit other crimes.

I think they should be approached with the assumption that they are decent young people who need to be taught that litter is unacceptable and they should be proud of the spectacular new basketball court and show appreciation to the neighborhood by following the rules.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 5:06

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Falcon wrote:
Just got back from Hamilton Park and the park is spectacular except for the litter. I am not into complaining about it anonymously on the internet so if anyone wants to come to the park with me and confront the people who are littering email me with your telephone number to dan AT jclist.com

I am into in person confrontation; if we can get a group of 4-10 people to confront the obvious offenders on a regular basis; I am open to all solutions.

I am thinking that we can do one or more of these ideas:
1. stand on the basketball court and demand that all trash be picked up before we allow play to resume
2. kick the trash onto the court and put the basketballs in the garbage
3. Call the police and back them up when they enforce the law.
4. Throw all the trash in the garbage including the half full and full drink containers.

This needs to be done from day one, the people playing basketball seem decent enough to get the message if we are united and do not back down. Too many of us are walking past the court and ignoring the obvious, this sends the wrong message.

I am available for litter patrol tommorow afternoon.

I am 100% with you. They have to be held accountable. If I bring my lunch into the park, I am bringing the trash home with me or dumping it into a garbage can. I have no problem standing in the middle of the court and disrupting the game to get a point across.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 4:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/16 2:47
Group:
Registered Users
Falcon says:
Quote:
I am into in person confrontation; if we can get a group of 4-10 people to confront the obvious offenders on a regular basis; I am open to all solutions.

1. stand on the basketball court and demand that all trash be picked up before we allow play to resume
4. Throw all the trash in the garbage including the half full and full drink containers.

This a fascinating puzzle.

The morning after the park opened at about 7am, there was a young mom playing with her son in the playground; and after playing for a little while, they walked over to the basketball court and began ferrying trash from there to the nearest garbage can. It made me sick that it was necessary but also a little bit hopeful for the human race at large.

Having seen that, and knowing the lack of awareness held by many in the way littering affects others, I sympathize with the likes of Mr. Falcon. It would feel great to take the problem into our own hands to make the littering stop.

But there are complications with this sort of approach. The main one being that it would be silly to attempt to punish all users of the basketball court for the littering of just some users of the basketball court. There is some value to this -- possible peer pressure from those effected to the litterers, for example -- it just seems a little haphazard.

What we need is a way to make littering more difficult and more costly for the litterers. Sometimes I wish shooting paintball guns at people was a little less illegal because you could just station people in shifts to oversee the litterers until good habits take hold.

Barring that, the first best step is to bring some garbage cans closer to the basketball courts. They are WAY too far away. I guarantee fewer people would litter if it was a little easier to not litter.

Next, post signs with the penalties for littering and suggest to the police that they actually bust people on a regular basis for at least a few months or until better habits take hold.

If that and other efforts fail, I think action in the direction of Mr. Falcon's post is necessary. Beyond his suggestions, the parents and dog walkers have ammunition of their own after all. It's the same type of ammunition and their wards produce a lot of it. A day or weeklong campaign of intentional messiness on the basketball court to draw attention to the problem could go a long way.

It would be pretty funny, at least.

Posted on: 2010/5/31 4:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Keeping the court was not only a great idea, it was essential. Clearly a ton of people agree in light of the amount of people using it. But the people who use it should keep it cleaned up and encourage the other people who use it to clean it up. There are a host of ways to inspire the people who use the BB Courts to keep it clean without being aggressively confrontational.

Quote:

Canonguy20d wrote:

No, I do not agree! I do not mind helping out, but the kids and some adults who use the court trash it, they should clean it up. I have no issue assisting in anything else, but not with the court. I'll stand in the park with my video camera and start recording the vandals or if anyone sees someone throwing garbage on the courts, stand up to them and say something. Isn't there some sort of litter ordinance besides?. Having the court was a BAD idea, peroi the planners should have known this would happen. HELLO!

A host of ways to inspire? Please share! I am very curious how to we inspire these basketball players to keep the court clean. Oh, I have an idea. Shut the court down and post signs if the court is not kept clean, it can not be used. Im not being rude, but I really think the majority of these kinds just don't care. So, please prove me wrong!

Posted on: 2010/5/31 4:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Walked through the park this am at apx 7:30am ready to clean up around the court for a few minutes. It was actually pretty clean so someone had done some cleaning. Only took me about 10 minutes. Going to be an ongoing process.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 22:50
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/18 2:12
From Beautiful Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Just got back from Hamilton Park and the park is spectacular except for the litter. I am not into complaining about it anonymously on the internet so if anyone wants to come to the park with me and confront the people who are littering email me with your telephone number to dan AT jclist.com

This needs to be done from day one, the people playing basketball seem decent enough to get the message if we are united and do not back down. Too many of us are walking past the court and ignoring the obvious, this sends the wrong message.

I am available for litter patrol tommorow afternoon.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 12:06
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I think the park is magnificent, like walking into Oz. It was well worth waiting for and I am so grateful we have it. I also agree dogs should not be in the children's playground just as children do not belong in the dog runs. Really for us dog owners it's about safety. In the large dog run when dogs start their joyful high speed running even smaller framed adults can get knocked off their feet, no place for a child say under 12 years of age. If you have a dog and a child (12 or older) your child should remain seated while in the run. Children under 12 also do not belong in the small dog run, again for safety sake. Strollers have no place in any dog run. Dogs are curious by nature and will inspect the thing, and definately pee on it too.
Believe me I know it's tough raising children and having a dog. Its tough to have all their needs met, but you will have to exercise them separately I am afraid.
I understand the signs are on order and I hope the dog run signs come soon too :)

Posted on: 2010/5/30 12:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Keeping the court was not only a great idea, it was essential. Clearly a ton of people agree in light of the amount of people using it. But the people who use it should keep it cleaned up and encourage the other people who use it to clean it up. There are a host of ways to inspire the people who use the BB Courts to keep it clean without being aggressively confrontational.

Quote:

Canonguy20d wrote:

No, I do not agree! I do not mind helping out, but the kids and some adults who use the court trash it, they should clean it up. I have no issue assisting in anything else, but not with the court. I'll stand in the park with my video camera and start recording the vandals or if anyone sees someone throwing garbage on the courts, stand up to them and say something. Isn't there some sort of litter ordinance besides?. Having the court was a BAD idea, peroi the planners should have known this would happen. HELLO!

Posted on: 2010/5/30 12:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

davehfa wrote:
I saw a one woman take her dog in and hanging out with the children. It was on a leash and didn't seem dangerous but the real issue is what if the dog decided to pee where all the kids are playing.

could you recheck those priorities and get back to us? thanks.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 11:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/30 1:13
Group:
Registered Users
I was at the park for the first time yesterday and it was gorgeous. Well done. However, I didn't see any signs about no dogs in the playground area. I saw a one woman take her dog in and hanging out with the children. It was on a leash and didn't seem dangerous but the real issue is what if the dog decided to pee where all the kids are playing. I recommend posting some signs.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 11:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
I think everyone and anyone using the basketball courts or any other area of the park should feel a part of keeping it clean even if they are not the one's who liter. Participating in maintaining something you think is valuable is a hell of a lot more productive than ranting about it on line or to your neighbors. Otherwise you should just shut your pie hole.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

badnewsb wrote:
Just an outside observation but, can we all take a collective step back and appreciate new park for what it is now. Forget the calls for gates at the playground, painted lines around swing sets, sidewalk vendors, etc. and just enjoy the park for what it is before we start to pick it apart for whatever failings we choose to find in it.

have you met us?

(ps: Amen!)

Posted on: 2010/5/30 3:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I have a better idea. Instead of waiting for trash to be picked up, make the kids who use the basketball court pick up the trash.

Then after the area is clean, they can use the court again. Twice a day.

In fact, similar to the playground, lets put gates around the bb court. And lock it when it becomes a disaster of a mess. Then, when a group of community concerned basketball players comes together and comes forward to pick up the garbage... then they can play again.

Also, get rid of the bleachers. Maybe if folks are standing they will take their trash to a trashcan. Just maybe.

FG

Quote:

JackieCruise wrote:

My old community used to "close the court down for cleaning" twice a day. When trash was picked up the court reopened. Kids used to run around like crazy for about 5 minutes so they could get back to playing ball. Just an idea.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 2:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/30 2:24
Group:
Registered Users
Just an outside observation but, can we all take a collective step back and appreciate new park for what it is now. Forget the calls for gates at the playground, painted lines around swing sets, sidewalk vendors, etc. and just enjoy the park for what it is before we start to pick it apart for whatever failings we choose to find in it.

Posted on: 2010/5/30 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think everyone and anyone using the basketball courts or any other area of the park should feel a part of keeping it clean even if they are not the one's who liter. Participating in maintaining something you think is valuable is a hell of a lot more productive than ranting about it on line or to your neighbors. Otherwise you should just shut your pie hole.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

linky wrote:
Folks,

Please leave the poor "icey lady" alone. She's been a fixture in that park for years. She's a very nice woman, and all of the kids and parents like her. Cut her a break, and let her make a decent living.......she's not bothering anybody.

Nothing personal ....she may be a lovely person, but be a lovely person outside the park. I'm not attacking the person.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BrightMoment wrote:

I think overall just common sense, consideration for others and courtesy should be used by all concerned.

Exactly....go for win-win situations. Not looking to gouge vendors but maybe they could buy trash bags or even just police their area and help keep it clean.

The parking shouldn't be much of a problem unless something like 6 trucks all of a sudden show up which I suppose could happen.

If I see Flava again I will say something to her. Just think the ambience of the park is diminished with vendors IN the park. A convenient hot dog or something is nice nearby thou.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Folks,

Please leave the poor "icey lady" alone. She's been a fixture in that park for years. She's a very nice woman, and all of the kids and parents like her. Cut her a break, and let her make a decent living.......she's not bothering anybody.

Posted on: 2010/5/29 22:02

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017