Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
They have been working there for the last couple of weeks but it doesn't seem like they're making much progress. Still hoping they "86" the BB court. I was down at Enos Jones and the litter and screaming of F-bombs and "ni**ar" made me really dread that court reopening.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody know what is up with Hamilton Park? We've had like 4 wonderful days in a row with 70+ degree weather.

Yet I walked by this afternoon (Sat) and Nothing has been touched since I walked by there in Feb.

Let's get this done... SPRING IS HERE. Get it open before Easter or at least before the 1 year mark.

Contractor.... get all your hired help out and finish the job!!!

Put in the sod, and don't forget to paint the entrances either.

I swear its like 90% done. Come on.

FG

Posted on: 2010/3/20 22:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
From Steve Fulop's email today:

Hamilton Park Renovation
Progress has slowed due to poor weather conditions, which has delayed the renovation 3-4 weeks. However, Green Construction will be substantially complete and open to public use by late April or early May.

Many people have asked specifically about the tennis courts. They will be color coated and lined - however this process is temperature-sensitive and will likely be one of the last items to be completed at the Park, along with the landscaping.

Posted on: 2010/2/23 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sweets wrote:
sorry - this post is just too long to scroll through!

Can anyone update me on when the new open date for the new park is?

Thanks!
expect late march/early april ....

Posted on: 2010/1/27 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

sweets wrote:

Thanks!

I don't think anyone has a concrete answer to that question. Try contacting our councilman, he may have a general idea.

http://www.stevenfulop.com/

Posted on: 2010/1/27 16:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/8 14:46
Group:
Registered Users

Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/1/27 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
i certainly hope that the new structure of the park and the segregation of activities - kids, dogs, and others - will lead to a more civilized big city park ...

the bb court problem is unlikely to go away unless the city takes a proactive stance during evening hours; for instance why did not the police department enforce the nightly closing rules of the park? the park closes at 10pm ... where they too chicken?

Posted on: 2010/1/22 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The basketball courts and the noise they produce do not usually affect me but I can imagine the nuisance it is for people that live on that side of the park. Hope that it gets taken care of for you guys. The one good thing about the park being closed is it is very quiet.

They way they trash the place after their games is disgusting and I had called on that numerous times. Hope that stops. Public Parks in Jersey City Close at 10:00pm

Posted on: 2010/1/21 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PBW wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Lets hope they lock the basketball courts at night.

Is there something we can do to insure this? Call Parks and Recreation office? Start a petition?

For the record I have no problem with the basketball court like others might, but not at 2AM.

I feel the same. I believe they are gonna fence in the BB court. I am guessing the Parks Dept would handle the locking and unlocking of any gate. It would seem logical that the Parks people who pay such careful attention to Enos Jones Park could venture the 3 blocks in the am and pm to give the neighborhood some peace. Of course this is Jersey City!

Posted on: 2010/1/21 16:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Lets hope they lock the basketball courts at night.

Is there something we can do to insure this? Call Parks and Recreation office? Start a petition?

For the record I have no problem with the basketball court like others might, but not at 2AM.

Posted on: 2010/1/21 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

o73o2 wrote:
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

Farfromit wrote:
Is there going to be a solution to the cricket games tearing up the grass?

I know that i am asking for trouble replying like this but i just can't help it:

Yes the solution is there is not going to be any grass. All the off leash dogs running amuck are going to rip it all up!!

seriously ... part of the problem with the cricket games was that the dog owners expropriated the old tennis courts where cricketers could have played ... it has been a problem for a long time and it is less of a problem than having the dog owners letting their beloved pets pissing, pooping around the park when they are not knocking down toddlers ... yet it happens more often than your average, friendly neighborly dog owner wants to admit .... and it is not the individual dog's fault by the way ....

now, i would expect with the two new dog runs, the dog owners will have the incentive to converge at these dog runs leaving the multi-purpose courts to be used by cricket, tennis and other players ...

and there was also the problem stemming from the spotty enforcement ... while there has not been active police presence in the park during the weekends enforcing leash and other ordinances, jcpd might change its policies ...

there are responsible dog owners, and the majority is always responsible .... but unfortunately there is a small minority that is not always responsible and in fact sometimes seem to be purposefully irresponsible ...

If this is your biggest problem then the park should be fine. Kids will now be penned in. 2 Dog runs. Less open areas for cricket where often there would be 3 or 4 games going on all over the park. The cricket was very dangerous because often they would use a regulation ball which would fly around willy-nilly narrowly missing children, parents and dogs. Lets hope they lock the basketball courts at night.

Posted on: 2010/1/21 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

Farfromit wrote:

I know that i am asking for trouble replying like this but i just can't help it:

Yes the solution is there is not going to be any grass. All the off leash dogs running amuck are going to rip it all up!!

seriously ... part of the problem with the cricket games was that the dog owners expropriated the old tennis courts where cricketers could have played ... it has been a problem for a long time and it is less of a problem than having the dog owners letting their beloved pets pissing, pooping around the park when they are not knocking down toddlers ... yet it happens more often than your average, friendly neighborly dog owner wants to admit .... and it is not the individual dog's fault by the way ....

now, i would expect with the two new dog runs, the dog owners will have the incentive to converge at these dog runs leaving the multi-purpose courts to be used by cricket, tennis and other players ...

and there was also the problem stemming from the spotty enforcement ... while there has not been active police presence in the park during the weekends enforcing leash and other ordinances, jcpd might change its policies ...

there are responsible dog owners, and the majority is always responsible .... but unfortunately there is a small minority that is not always responsible and in fact sometimes seem to be purposefully irresponsible ...

Posted on: 2010/1/21 13:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Farfromit wrote:

Posted on: 2010/1/21 3:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Farfromit wrote:

I'd be more worried about the 2am basketball games if I were you.

Posted on: 2010/1/21 3:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 0:21
Group:
Registered Users
wow. I haven't met any Native American Indians in JC and I've lived in NJ all of my life. Scratching my head, but wouldn't immigration control take us all back to our mother country?

anyhow, yes PLEASE HURRY UP WITH THE PARK!

Posted on: 2010/1/21 3:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Farfromit wrote:
no. that solution would be immigration control

Posted on: 2010/1/21 1:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/21 21:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/1/20 21:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/30 19:58
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
The past couple of weeks have certainly been mild enough to do construction. Hopefully they are taking advantage.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 21:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
My dog wants in that park! Lets go!!

Posted on: 2010/1/20 19:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/15 15:15
Group:
Banned
Hopefully they wait till the grass starts growing back before they re-open the park. If they don't we are going to have a mud/dirt field all summer..

Posted on: 2010/1/20 17:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/15 19:25
Group:
Registered Users
Walking by the park this morning it looked like they were putting up the fences around the playgrounds. Nice to see progress continue.

As for the sod, they sprayed the open areas with spray on grass seed before Christmas. Hopefully we'll see the grass fill back in when it gets warm again.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hi it's now mid-January. Does anybody have any updates?

Walked by about a week or so ago and well, they're making progress but there is a lot to be done still by basketball area.

Hoping this opens up in time for spring enjoyment. Are they going to re-sod the grassy areas?

Thanks.

FG

Posted on: 2010/1/13 16:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/27 12:27
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
has anyone heard when the park will reopen? I just see the bball court and some walkways that still need work. Doesn't look like too much is left. I'm hoping they take down the gates soon.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 20:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
The HPNA invited all neighbors to participate in their organized park clean ups. Your intimation that anyone has been excluded is merely part of your continuous effort to polarize neighbors and position the HPNA as some exclusionary group. In fact over the years we have had many new and different officers, trustees and members. I'm sure the HPNA will have more park clean ups for which you will be welcome to volunteer.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
For whatever it's worth....

I not sure if some people understand what a community garden is. Yes, there are places were people pay a small membership fee and are assigned a small plot to grow whatever they desire (flowers, vegetables, herbs). Another example is Van Vorst Park. The VVP gardens are maintained by volunteers from the community and are indeed "community gardens".

Since there is no plan (yet) for HP.... I'd be welcoming anybody that offers to come forth and help maintain the new gardens and thank them. It is wrong for certain individuals to pick and choose who can (and who can't) be involved. Volunteers shouldn't be required to become part of a life long commitment to maintaining the park to qualify or start up some conservancy group. There currently is no plan and whomever wants to help should be able to do so without hindering.

PS?. Some of the volunteers that pitched in to help clean up the park during our past events were homeless. Nobody was paid to work?. all we could give people was a sandwich, but they worked hard as anybody and were appreciated. God bless them, wherever they are now.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

G_Elkind wrote:
It's a shame to return to the same, old counter-productive conversations of the past.

We have a newly renovated park coming on line in the coming months, which we can all be proud of. In my opinion, protecting that investment will require a new, professional approach to ensuring that it's properly maintained -- gardens, plantings and all else associated with the park.

While the solution for providing that maintenance will require further thought, discussion and planning, one thing is clear -- returning to the old, ad hoc approaches of the past is not among them.

All the best.

Geoff

+1, Geoff

It's been a long time coming for the HP renovation. My feelings for rehashing the same old counter-productive conversations of the past is THIS!

Posted on: 2009/11/27 16:50

Re: Where's the Monarch of Jungle Jungle Land?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
So from what I?ve learned that unless waiting for some special individuals to step forward that have extra-ordinary energy and drive to get things done under the umbrella of a conservancy group (that the HPNA will of course have to approve of)?. then clearly, there is no plan.

The city may perform minimum duties? but one thing is certain? they did more than the HPNA ever have and that isn?t saying much since they claim to have been around for some 20 years and claim to look after this park. Other than organizing monthly meetings, lining up guest speakers and fighting developers, I?ve never seem this group organize maintenance of anything in this park that went beyond raking leaves, which is sad because they clearly want to control whatever, whoever comes into any park ?maintenance? plan.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 16:43

Where's the Monarch of Jungle Jungle Land?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
I took a walk around the park this afternoon -- and saw Sam S on his own inspection run, Hi Sam! -- and thought it was AWESOME. I repeat: AWESOME. In particular, I imagined that I was only 8 years old and, man, the possibilities of that playground just blew me away. There's East Slidestan, and the Kingdom of Swingmania, and Mount Hamilton, and all those cool inner passages and climbing stuff. All WAY COOL.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
There are already many conservancies set up in various parks throughout the city, with Van Vorst being one of them. The Jersey City Parks Coalition is an umbrella group for 14 parks and historic cemeteries including Sgt. Anthony, Pershing Field, Webb, Harsimus Cemetery, and Washington Park. We are all individual volunteer groups within each community, with the goal of getting others who use each park to get involved with that park?s maintenance and improvement.

We do not work in a vacuum, all permanent additions we propose are cleared with the Parks Department, Legal, the City Council where necessary, and we ask for community input. Our fundraising has produced over $350,000 worth of donations and grants that go directly back to our public parks.

To speak directly about VVP, which is where I?m mostly involved, the downside has been finding others who are willing to spend a set number of hours each week to help maintain our 19 gardens. I spend 20-40 hours a week from March through November just trying to keep the plantings under control. I?m not sure why it?s so difficult to find other volunteers, although I?ve made numerous requests through different media.

If Hamilton Park wants to keep its renovated park organized and in some semblance of order, I would suggest that a group of volunteers, working with or within the HPNA, sit down with the Parks Department, and set up a list of responsibilities each is willing and capable of accepting.

Jersey City, at this point of time, is not capable of maintaining a park such as Van Vorst on its own, because of that (and that they are appreciative of what we do), the Parks Department has been very helpful when it come to supplies, use of personnel, and being responsive to the need for repairs?but you must have someone from the community making those requests.

Obviously, VVP and HP are two different parks with divergent needs; I?ve noticed that the plants that have been delivered to HP require a minimum amount of care and you might need a conservancy-like group only if you decide to expand and vary the gardens. No matter how you handle this, the bottom line is that the users of the park cannot assume others will take care of your concerns.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 4:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pooper wrote:
Call me negative or naive all you like, but there's nothing disingenuous about my argument.

Show me the local dirty or graffitied park; Enos? No, pretty nice. Van Vorst? Beautiful. Roberto Clemente? Looks ok to me. LSP? Nope. Waterfront? Great but needs some work in spots. Hardly a ghetto.

All seem to be doing ok without a conservancy.

I believe you are sincere, just naive about what makes thing tick.

Enos: Locked much of the time.

Van Vorst: under the TLC of Parkman & Co.

Roberto Clemente: Locked, and presumably cared for by the little league that somehow owns a city park.

LSP: State Park, not a JC park.

Waterfront: not familiar enough to say. The only actual city park I know is the ones down by the canal, and they're no beauties.

HP: there has been a chronic problem of graffiti on the playground and gazebo, dealt with occasionally by HPNA, never by the city. Garbage was commonly all over in the shrubs and playground.

Also keep in mind, once a stable Conservancy is in place, the landscaping doesn't need to stay static, it can be constantly improving under a city approved plan funded and executed by the conservancy. Don't expect the city to put down a shovel in this park for another couple of decades.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 0:41

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017