Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
While this isn't an official update, when walking past Hamilton Park, it's readily apparent they're really making a hell of a lot of progress.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 1:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/14 20:20
From Chilltown Baby!
Group:
Registered Users
I played in that park as a kid attending #37 and my health is ok.......

After my third eye was removed the doctor said i could still play in the park without it growing back ....

So dont worry...

Who's the genius to decide to start this project in the summer anyway.......McFly

Posted on: 2009/7/29 14:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
wow, before I got to the "NOT," you really had me convinced...

Posted on: 2009/7/28 6:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
i heard that the lead residue comes from the nuclear reactor buried under the gazebo.........

this comes from healy's indictment that is still under seal. evidently, healy got a huge pay-off for dumping a leaking russian nuclear reactor in hamilton park. this was after he got drunk, beat up city council, and became love client #4.

this is the truth. i swear.

NOT!

Posted on: 2009/7/28 3:31

Re: Renovation Update: Lead found in Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/18 2:23
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SamS wrote:
Just to illuminate salient pertinent parts of Glenn Wrigley's statement which was posted here:

1. The vast majority of the park has no or lead levels.
2. There was only one small area with lead.
3. Glenn says work is continuing with out delays.

Date: June 29, 2009 11:06:36 AM EDT
To: "Brian O'Reilly"

All test results came back with very low or non-existent contamination levels except for one, which is an area about 20 feet West of the gazebo. This one sample came back with a level for lead which is above DEP acceptable residential standards.

One suspect reason may be the bedding or base material under old concrete walkways, which are described as cinders. It was common back around the turn of the century and up to the 1930's for cinders from power generating plants to be used as a base course for concrete.

Much of the old walkways were removed in the 1970's renovation of the park, but some of the chips probably remained in this spot and were covered over with soil.

Meanwhile, other construction will continue without delay.

Glenn
without delay

If you haven't noticed, there is nothing without delay in JC, unless of course you go through a CW.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 1:44
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
"Like I said earlier, it could take months or it could take years. Who wants to explain this to potential home buyers? The centerpiece of the neighborhood may be a toxic dump or maybe not..."

Now, that is speculation.

No Sh*t Sherlock. That's why I asked if anyone had any real info not just more speculation. Duh.

sorry i cant refuse this.

Real Info:

The park is closed for renovations
It will re-open someday.

You sure about that? I know some people are still using the park. "Closed"? For some of you it is.

Alot of people are useing the "said closed park". The video cameras prove that fact, but that's a story for another time. But thats purely speculation ofcourse!!! And only IMPO. But i tend to smile when i walk on by.....

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
if the park is closed and you go in there, you get what you deserve.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:
"Like I said earlier, it could take months or it could take years. Who wants to explain this to potential home buyers? The centerpiece of the neighborhood may be a toxic dump or maybe not..."

No Sh*t Sherlock. That's why I asked if anyone had any real info not just more speculation. Duh.

Real Info:

It will re-open someday.

You sure about that? I know some people are still using the park. "Closed"? For some of you it is.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

The fact that a small area of lead contamination was found and attributed to fill under the pathway that was not repaved in the previous renovation is "real information." The fact that work is continuing as we speak is "real information."

Talk of "months or years delay" and "toxic waste dumps" is speculation, and you are the source of it.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Bogart wrote:

Real Info:

It will re-open someday.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bogart wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Just to illuminate salient pertinent parts of Glenn Wrigley's statement which was posted here:

1. The vast majority of the park has no or lead levels.
2. There was only one small area with lead.
3. Glenn says work is continuing with out delays.

All test results came back with very low or non-existent contamination levels except for one, which is an area about 20 feet West of the gazebo. This one sample came back with a level for lead which is above DEP acceptable residential standards.

One suspect reason may be the bedding or base material under old concrete walkways, which are described as cinders. It was common back around the turn of the century and up to the 1930's for cinders from power generating plants to be used as a base course for concrete.

Much of the old walkways were removed in the 1970's renovation of the park, but some of the chips probably remained in this spot and were covered over with soil.

Meanwhile, other construction will continue without delay.

Glenn
without delay

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sandstone wrote:
Thanks for that information. That fact-based, calm, reasonable information.

All I'm saying is better to find out what is in the soil overall rather than find out years from now that some other contaminants were in there.

How is that neither calm nor reasonable? I'd rather know what is in the soil and at what levels. I didn't realize that needed some fact basing.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:16
- Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SamS wrote:
Vigilante,

Uuuum, first I didn't speculate anything nor did I say I was an expert on any of this. All I said was I conducted a little cursory research which suggested it's a simple matter of changing some soil and in some instances adding some plants that are particularly effective in diluting the effects of lead in soil.

Incidentally, would it surprise you to know that most of our homes have lead some where in them, including our back yards??

Based upon what has been reported from the contractors per the post on here, the workers seemed to have found a relatively small amount of lead in a designated area of the park. To my knowledge there hasn't been any reporting from the DEP on this.

But my point was THERE IS NO NEED TO JUMP TO THE CONCLUSION THAT ITS GOING TO TAKE A LONG TIME to remediate the problem, which seems almost innocuous.

Moreover, as evidenced by the continued work that's going on in the park, it seems renovation is continuing to progress on target.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

SamS wrote:
In doing some cursory research it seems remediating lead contamination is no where near as difficult as cleaning up oil or other toxins.

Also, it seems to me that progress on the progress has been continuing since the discovery of the lead, which was found in a rather isolated section of the park.

So how long will the clean up take? Or is this just your speculation?

So it is speculation. Like I said earlier, it could take months or it could take years. Who wants to explain this to potential home buyers? The centerpiece of the neighborhood may be a toxic dump or maybe not...

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Vigilante,

Uuuum, first I didn't speculate anything nor did I say I was an expert on any of this. All I said was I conducted a little cursory research which suggested it's a simple matter of changing some soil and in some instances adding some plants that are particularly effective in diluting the effects of lead in soil.

Incidentally, would it surprise you to know that most of our homes have lead some where in them, including our back yards??

Based upon what has been reported from the contractors per the post on here, the workers seemed to have found a relatively small amount of lead in a designated area of the park. To my knowledge there hasn't been any reporting from the DEP on this.

But my point was THERE IS NO NEED TO JUMP TO THE CONCLUSION THAT ITS GOING TO TAKE A LONG TIME to remediate the problem, which seems almost innocuous.

Moreover, as evidenced by the continued work that's going on in the park, it seems renovation is continuing to progress on target.

Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

SamS wrote:
In doing some cursory research it seems remediating lead contamination is no where near as difficult as cleaning up oil or other toxins.

Also, it seems to me that progress on the progress has been continuing since the discovery of the lead, which was found in a rather isolated section of the park.

Posted on: 2009/7/28 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SamS wrote:

Posted on: 2009/7/27 23:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/9/22 12:59
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for that information. That fact-based, calm, reasonable information.

Posted on: 2009/7/27 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/7/27 12:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/2 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
Before jumping to conclusions why dont we all wait for the rest of the samples to come back?

It could be very centralized to just where they happened to test (cant we be optimistic ppl?!!?)

Posted on: 2009/7/27 3:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcnight wrote:
exactly. not only does this effect our health, but it effects the value of our homes. i dont care how long it takes to clean it up, just do it. i cannot beleive that people are complaining beacuse its now going to take longer. WTF..... its a contaminated park, you wanna live to enjoy it fruitcake? And dont tell me that all of jersey city is contaminated beacuse i already know this. The fact is this is a site that is now going to be dealt with, however long it takes. ugh !!!!!

ALL OF JERSEY CITY IS CONTAMINATED.

Posted on: 2009/7/26 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was under the impression that they found some old lead fill in a part of the park that was not touched the last time it was renovated. Obviously, they need to test the rest of the park but I don't think we need to worry that they've discovered a toxic waste dump or to assume that removing the old fill from this area will delay the project along the lines of a major remediation.

Posted on: 2009/7/26 19:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
exactly. not only does this effect our health, but it effects the value of our homes. i dont care how long it takes to clean it up, just do it. i cannot beleive that people are complaining beacuse its now going to take longer. WTF..... its a contaminated park, you wanna live to enjoy it fruitcake? And dont tell me that all of jersey city is contaminated beacuse i already know this. The fact is this is a site that is now going to be dealt with, however long it takes. ugh !!!!!

Posted on: 2009/7/26 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Not in JC anymore
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Disaster! Why did they have to test this stuff, they were obviously going to find some kind of contamination. Now the park won't be open for years of remediation.

Damn.

Robin.

From oskilo's post with the attached email:

Quote:

Green CONSTRUCTION, as part of their contractual obligations, did have areas where soil is being excavated tested for contaminants (per NJDEP requirements before soil can be transported off of any site to an accepting landfill).

So that is why. I'd rather the soil be tested and we have a better idea of what may be in the soil, rather than 20 years from now the news doing a piece on a cancer cluster around Hamilton Park.

Posted on: 2009/7/26 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
A Bump for this thread. It's amazing how many people in the area and who actually live on the park don't realize that they found lead in the park. This could add months if not years to the renovation project. Some clean up sites have been closed for decades in NJ. Anyone have any new info on this disater?

Posted on: 2009/7/26 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
Disaster! Why did they have to test this stuff, they were obviously going to find some kind of contamination. Now the park won't be open for years of remediation.

Damn.

Robin.

Double damn. Its going to take forever now.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 19:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Damn.

Robin.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 17:38

Renovation Update: Lead found in Hamilton Park

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/24 13:34
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Since I'm sure this will be a topic sooner or later, I'm cross posting an email I sent to the HPNA Mailing List earlier today. I'll post any future updates on our mailing list and the HPNA Blog:

For those of you who missed yesterday?s HPNA meeting I wanted to bring everyone up-to-date on a development in the Hamilton Park renovation:
In the next day or so Green Construction, the general contractor for the renovation, will erect NJ Department of Environmental Protection mandated environmental testing/cleanup signs around the park. The reason for this is that GC, while testing the soil being removed to accommodate the underground features of the park (water, electrical, etc.), discovered lead contamination in the soil about 20 feet from the gazebo. The Division of Architecture suspects the origin of the lead is either the base material used under concrete in the 1920's (today gravel is used, in the 20's it was cinders left over from steam powered electrical plants) or an old water pipe that ran through the area. Fortunately, the area where the lead was discovered was under the asphalt that surrounded the gazebo so no one was exposed to it.

A preliminary soil report prepared for the Division of Architecture will made available to our group, the Mayor?s office and Councilman Steve Fulop in the next couple of days. Additionally, the Division of Architecture will meet with us next week to go over everything in depth. As mandated by law, the City has notified the NJ DEP and has begun comprehensive testing of the entire park (they are sampling soil in 60+ locations) in order to discover the full extent of contamination within the park. That report should be available in the next 30 days. Soil sampling & testing should not interfere with current construction efforts; however, they will need to remediate whatever contaminants are discovered. The City has proactively committed to cleaning up (rather than capping contamination) as this is a public park. Depending on the full testing results, said cleanup may cause delays or require moving one or more of the retention basins (which could endanger some additional trees in the park). Hopefully this will not be the case.

I?ll update the group as more details emerge. In the meanwhile, I?ve attached the Division of Architecture?s email to the Mayor?s office, Councilman Fulop, and myself. I would like to thank both Glenn Wrigley and Brian Weller in the Division of Architecture. They have done a great job staying contact with us regarding this issue and the park renovation overall.

Thanks,
Olu

Quote:
Cc: "Olu Howard" ,"Steve Fulop" , "Brian Weller"
Subject:
Brian,

I want to keep you informed of a situation that has occurred in Hamilton Park late last week. Green CONSTRUCTION, as part of their contractual obligations, did have areas where soil is being excavated tested for contaminants (per NJDEP requirements before soil can be transported off of any site to an accepting landfill). The reason for excavation at all is to install these new underground drainage structures required by the NJMUA. All test results came back with very low or non-existent contamination levels except for one, which is an area about 20 feet West of the gazebo. This one sample came back with a level for lead which is above DEP acceptable residential standards.

We met with the testing company and we are attempting to delineate just how much of an area may be contaminated with this high level of lead. One suspect reason may be the bedding or base material under old concrete walkways, which are described as cinders. It was common back around the turn of the century and up to the 1930's for cinders from power generating plants to be used as a base course for concrete. It is possible that these chips are the source of the lead levels. Much of the old walkways were removed in the 1970's renovation of the park, but some of the chips probably remained in this spot and were covered over with soil. This new renovation proposes to put this old walkway path back, albeit wider (11 to 12 feet) than the old pathways (about 4 feet).

Since tests were performed, and this level has been detected, the NJDEP must be notified. Such notification naturally makes this a public record. In order to assure the public that the extent of this contamination is found and remediated, NJDEP protocol is for additional testing at a rate of 4 samples per acre (or about 24 samples for this 6.0 acre park). These additional tests will take about 2 to 3 weeks to obtain and analyze. Meanwhile, other construction will continue without delay.

Once notification is given to the NJDEP, this project will be assigned a case number. A hotline number to the DEP is also established so that residents have current information on the investigation. There will be some signs posted around the park (A DEP requirement), letting the public know that an investigation is taking place. The hotline number will be clearly listed on these posters. Full transparent disclosure is the objective here. All test results will be sent to the DEP for review, and a Remedial Action Work Plan (RAWP) will be sent to the DEP for their review and approval. Hopefully, this problem will be limited to the one uncovered location.

I will be happy to meet with you, the Mayor's office, Councilman Fulop, and some HPNA representatives if anyone wishes.

Glenn

Posted on: 2009/7/2 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
The temporary playground going up today on the Hamilton Place construction site.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/6/19 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/29 18:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

weinish wrote:
i for one play on the basketball court all the time and have lived here since 2001. i pray there's a court because there are no good courts in the entire area. this is a city! there should be basketball courts in safe neighborhoods.

Have you tried walking three blocks west? There is a very nice b-ball court available and they just installed brand spankin' new glass backboards. The surface is much nicer than the old asphalt that is/was at the HP court.

Posted on: 2009/6/11 1:33

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017