Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 45 »

Re: Hamilton Park Renovation - Update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
whenever I see tree work in the springtime, I always worry about the number of nests that are getting disturbed or destroyed, and wonder if the tree guys are taking any care to relocate them.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 16:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/1/22 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
Walking around the park this morning, I heard one of the construction dudes say, "they are really crazy about the trees around here. we're not gonna take it down unless we have to."

Posted on: 2009/5/6 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/10 17:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Amy wrote:
They're chopping up a beautiful old tree as I write this. I know it's necessary to put the plan into space, but it's sad.

Sad Indeed. Hopefully they didn't kill too many baby birds and squirrels.

I found a baby squirrel last year on 3rd and coles (random since there aren't any tall trees in that area) So I trapped it and brought it over to van vorst, it ran up a tree immediately so hopefully he was okay and survived. Nice to see other people care about these critters.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Amy wrote:
They're chopping up a beautiful old tree as I write this. I know it's necessary to put the plan into space, but it's sad.

Sad Indeed. Hopefully they didn't kill too many baby birds and squirrels.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2009/5/6 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
http://www.hamiltonpark.org/PDFS/Hami ... _Renovation-Site_Plan.pdf

Here is an excellent link with great detail of the renovations. This was included in an email from Councilman Fulop.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 20:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks.Hopefully closer to Thanksgiving.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 4:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcecker wrote:
If someone could spare me reading through 634 posts here I would be much obliged.Again,when is the park scheduled to re-open?

Sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the hope.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 4:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/12 9:14
From Jersey City,nj
Group:
Registered Users
If someone could spare me reading through 634 posts here I would be much obliged.Again,when is the park scheduled to re-open?

Posted on: 2009/5/4 4:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/5 19:45
Group:
Banned
So wait, graffiti artists are MORE likely to do graffiti in pitch darkness than they are in a well-lit park?

I can see legitimate arguments for keeping the lights on, but this bit of illogic is more an argument for turning the streetlights in the park OFF than for keeping them on.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 1:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
With all this talk about the sports facilities people would like to see in the park, I keep thinking JC should have a Chelsea Piers type of place where kids and adults can go and have fun. Sure, not of the same scale, but there could be a rock-climbing wall, batting cages, etc. It could be a commercial venture where you pay a nominal fee to get in and then get lured by food vendors, shops, etc.

I know, I know. It's completely unrealistic and would attract "the wrong element," some would say. But it would be cool.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 1:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Drove by the park tonight and saw it all fenced up. looks sort of sad. but then we noticed that all the street lights in the park are on. including the holiday lights around the gazebo! what a waste of electricity! turn 'em off!

The holiday lights on the gazebo should be turned off, but the others should stay on. I think the idea is to prevent the park from becoming a giant canvas for graffiti artists. A dark, sealed park is asking for trouble.

Good point, SF.

Let's turn off those gazebo lights though because now they just look sad and lonely. And it's a waste of money, even if it's not a ton of money (and I'm not sure it's not, despite what Clancey says.)

Posted on: 2009/5/4 1:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Quote:

stevehpna wrote:
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Clancey -

...why couldn't the renovation wait until October? Why isn't there communication between the Government and the people? Why do we have to guess what's happening? Did you notice that there isn't even a projected completion date on the sign at the park?

I bet I'm not alone in having the sinking feeling that the project is going to take years, not months. Especially with the economic crisis.

Hope I'm wrong.

robitjustin, I have good news. You are wrong. The process was transparent, and our neighbors that were willing to devote time to attend monthly HPNA meetings have been kept up to date on the schedule. We've been in constant contact with the Architecture Department, JC Business Administrator Brian O'Reilly's office (re: the bidding process) and Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop. We've also tracked each vote that appeared on the agendas relating to the renovation at the caucus and City Council meetings.

The renovation should have started months ago, but was delayed because losing bidders contested results for various reasons. If companies play these games there's not much that can be done.

According to the contract terms the winning bidder must complete the construction within 12 months. They will maximize their profit by completing the construction well ahead of the allocated time, so there is an incentive to get the job done. I'm optimistic that the construction will be completed within six months. Going forward the HPNA will continue to track the process and provide updates.

I stand corrected!

Posted on: 2009/5/4 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
I hope people will make an extra effort to feed the birds and squirrels in the park now that a large source of food for them will not be there. They don't have the same amount of garbage/food waste to scavenge now that the park is closed. Say what you will about dogs, kids, skaters etc. the urban wildlife should be free to thrive.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
The balloting process for the park renovation permitted for voting for a skate park in HP based upon comments made by a small group. But the majority of the community did not support it.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen a Bocci Ball court in the park. That didn't even make it to the balloting.

That phase of the renovation planning is long past us. Of course everyone is free to express their opinions. Still insulting your neighbors doesn't advance any initiative.

Concerns about how the renovation moves a long is the issue at hand. While I'm a proponent of healthy skepticism and scrutiny, opinions should be based upon the information that's provided and communicated instead of conjecture. Last Saturday in HP, there was an advertised meeting about the renovation where folks asked a bunch of interesting questions many of which have been asked and incorrectly answered on this site.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 18:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"Dog owners are A-holes but 175lb. "kids" on 50lb. bikes doing stunts just steps away from 30lb. toddlers is acceptable? Stupidest post yet."

Actually, if I had to side with any of these groups, it would be pet owners. SOME pet owners are assholes. To let your dog sh*t on flowers/shrubs someone volunteered to plant is a scumbag move. As for the skaters, yes, they should have their own area just as the precious toddlers. Since there are more skaters living around HP then basketball players, perhaps there needs to be a substitution made. Build a halfpipe in place of the basketball court.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 17:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/29 17:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Clancey -

...why couldn't the renovation wait until October? Why isn't there communication between the Government and the people? Why do we have to guess what's happening? Did you notice that there isn't even a projected completion date on the sign at the park?

I bet I'm not alone in having the sinking feeling that the project is going to take years, not months. Especially with the economic crisis.

Hope I'm wrong.

robitjustin, I have good news. You are wrong. The process was transparent, and our neighbors that were willing to devote time to attend monthly HPNA meetings have been kept up to date on the schedule. We've been in constant contact with the Architecture Department, JC Business Administrator Brian O'Reilly's office (re: the bidding process) and Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop. We've also tracked each vote that appeared on the agendas relating to the renovation at the caucus and City Council meetings.

The renovation should have started months ago, but was delayed because losing bidders contested results for various reasons. If companies play these games there's not much that can be done.

According to the contract terms the winning bidder must complete the construction within 12 months. They will maximize their profit by completing the construction well ahead of the allocated time, so there is an incentive to get the job done. I'm optimistic that the construction will be completed within six months. Going forward the HPNA will continue to track the process and provide updates.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GnomeGeneral wrote:
"The government, isn't doing its residents a "favor" by re-doing the park."

Actually, I think they are doing us residents a huge favor. For such a large park it was a disgrace compared to VVP. No grass left from all the dogs running amuck. Some people were nice enough to get an organized planting day, but the asshole dog owners proceeded to walk their dogs in the nice islands of plants anyway. Kid people bitched enough about the skateboarders to have those hideous fences around the playground put up to protect their offspring. (Or as someone else once put it - "crotchfruit") Since all "us residents" have equal rights, then shouldn't the skateboarders have a designated area as well? Just like the basketball and the tennis people? Either way, this park definitely needs better organization. And to all you people bitching about this being done in warmer months, I hope you are a builder/landscaper/electrician in your next life and only get hired to do winter jobs.

Dog owners are A-holes but 175lb. "kids" on 50lb. bikes doing stunts just steps away from 30lb. toddlers is acceptable? Stupidest post yet.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 17:38

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 3:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Clancey -

The City of Jersey City, i.e., the government, isn't doing its residents a "favor" by re-doing the park. The park is owned and paid for by the residents, the ever-shifting mosaic of people who call Jersey City home. The "city" doesn't own anything. The people do.

Would you appreciate someone forcing their way into your home to do renovations, but on their schedule, with their designs, on their budget, with their people?

Hamilton Park is a vital part of the downtown community. This project was delayed, delayed, and further delayed. As in almost everything else the government gets involved in, there is no transparency, but closer to an opaque patriarchal conspiracy. The new "temp park" was supposed to be open before HP was closed. It is not. Where's the communication?

Why couldn't the renovation wait until October? Why isn't there communication between the Government and the people? Why do we have to guess what's happening? Did you notice that there isn't even a projected completion date on the sign at the park?

Hope I'm wrong.

The park is owned and paid for by the residents?...wow I better check the deed to my house because I didn't realize I had all this land! This park was funded by grant money not your taxes. You're the kind of person that would screw this up for everyone. The city doesn't have to do this park.

Opaque patriarchal conspiracy...oh lord, take your medications.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 17:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"The government, isn't doing its residents a "favor" by re-doing the park."

Actually, I think they are doing us residents a huge favor. For such a large park it was a disgrace compared to VVP. No grass left from all the dogs running amuck. Some people were nice enough to get an organized planting day, but the asshole dog owners proceeded to walk their dogs in the nice islands of plants anyway. Kid people bitched enough about the skateboarders to have those hideous fences around the playground put up to protect their offspring. (Or as someone else once put it - "crotchfruit") Since all "us residents" have equal rights, then shouldn't the skateboarders have a designated area as well? Just like the basketball and the tennis people? Either way, this park definitely needs better organization. And to all you people bitching about this being done in warmer months, I hope you are a builder/landscaper/electrician in your next life and only get hired to do winter jobs.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 20:09
Group:
Banned
I don't know from where you got that information; but the "temp park" is a recent development and not part of the original plan around renovating the park. So there was no early plan to set up a "temp park" before renovation began.

Quote:

robotjustin wrote:
Clancey -

The new "temp park" was supposed to be open before HP was closed. It is not. Where's the communication?

Posted on: 2009/5/3 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/18 18:17
Group:
Banned
Clancey -

The City of Jersey City, i.e., the government, isn't doing its residents a "favor" by re-doing the park. The park is owned and paid for by the residents, the ever-shifting mosaic of people who call Jersey City home. The "city" doesn't own anything. The people do.

Would you appreciate someone forcing their way into your home to do renovations, but on their schedule, with their designs, on their budget, with their people?

Hamilton Park is a vital part of the downtown community. This project was delayed, delayed, and further delayed. As in almost everything else the government gets involved in, there is no transparency, but closer to an opaque patriarchal conspiracy. The new "temp park" was supposed to be open before HP was closed. It is not. Where's the communication?

Why couldn't the renovation wait until October? Why isn't there communication between the Government and the people? Why do we have to guess what's happening? Did you notice that there isn't even a projected completion date on the sign at the park?

Hope I'm wrong.

Posted on: 2009/5/3 14:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/28 3:31
Group:
Registered Users
Geez people...is this all you have in life? These comments are really so petty and silly. For starters the fence was only put up on Thursday, April 30th. On Friday May 1st they started taking down the tennis court fence (a.k.a. the dog run) and there's a giant backhoe on the north side of the park. The 2nd and 3rd is the weekend. Quit complaining. Oh as far the gazebo lights, which are sold during the holidays, I don't even think they draw a whole amp of electricity. Again...if this is all you have to whine about I'm sad for you. Let them actually have a whole week and if nothing gets done then have at it!

Posted on: 2009/5/3 13:20

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/5/14 13:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

super_furry wrote:
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:
Drove by the park tonight and saw it all fenced up. looks sort of sad. but then we noticed that all the street lights in the park are on. including the holiday lights around the gazebo! what a waste of electricity! turn 'em off!

The holiday lights on the gazebo should be turned off, but the others should stay on. I think the idea is to prevent the park from becoming a giant canvas for graffiti artists. A dark, sealed park is asking for trouble.

It is sad to see the park all fenced up. Even more sad to see it fenced up and no work going on. When will they start the construction??

Posted on: 2009/5/2 20:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/7 17:42
From Ward E - Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jennymayla wrote:

Posted on: 2009/5/2 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 3:29
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2009/5/2 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 11:11
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Garyg wrote:
Quote:

parkman wrote:
We spent many years and funds trying to find a balance for a designated passive park, between the wants and needs of the community. With the addition of a dog run and pet free lawns, there is zero tolerance for off-leash use anywhere except in the run and no use of the run after 10pm.

Who enforces the zero tolerance? Because we have infinite tolerance for just about anything over on Hamilton Park.

Who is the we??? I have no tolerance after this park is completed. Zero, Zippo, nada... And I know that i am NOT alone in that statement. Frig that, I have been patient long enough

Posted on: 2009/5/2 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Garyg wrote:
Quote:

parkman wrote:
We spent many years and funds trying to find a balance for a designated passive park, between the wants and needs of the community. With the addition of a dog run and pet free lawns, there is zero tolerance for off-leash use anywhere except in the run and no use of the run after 10pm.

Who enforces the zero tolerance? Because we have infinite tolerance for just about anything over on Hamilton Park.
Smith and Wesson

Posted on: 2009/5/1 18:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/26 15:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

parkman wrote:

Posted on: 2009/5/1 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
I am looking forward to letting my dogs enjoy the new Hamilton Park. If you want the designated dogrun area for something else then take it. I don't do dogruns.

Now THERE'S the classic HP dog owner that we've come to know and love! "F@%k the rest of you, the law, and common civility, I'll do what I damn well please". Yup, 10 years ago the vocal dog owners fought tooth and nail against having a dog run, V is simply a die hard true believer in the power of "me first".

No. My dogs first then me then maybe you. No, not you.
If this is truly your attitude toward the use of a completed HP, I would personally request you not use Van Vorst Park in the interim. We spent many years and funds trying to find a balance for a designated passive park, between the wants and needs of the community. With the addition of a dog run and pet free lawns, there is zero tolerance for off-leash use anywhere except in the run and no use of the run after 10pm.

From your previous postings, you seem to present a decent balance on the issues but on this one I?m hoping you are just trying to be provocative and not nihilistic.

Posted on: 2009/5/1 17:51

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 45 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017