Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Commuter vans being pulled from the road
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/15 2:25
Group:
Registered Users
Good news on the crackdowns. Sucks for the passengers in the vans. It would be nice if they were given some alternative.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 15:47

Commuter vans being pulled from the road
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Commuter vans being pulled from the road

by Michaelangelo Conte
Monday April 14, 2008, 10:32 AM

It's commuter chaos in the Jersey City Heights this morning, as commuter vans are being pulled over at a random checkpoint and most are being taken out of service for various violations.

A state Department of Transportation mobile inspection unit at Summit Avenue near Laidlaw Avenue had pulled over 12 vans as of 10:30 and taken 11 of them out of service, said officials at the scene.

More vans are lined up awaiting the inspections and passengers on vans taken out of service are being told to get off and find alternate means of transportation.

Jersey City police are also at the scene writing tickets and the vans are being impounded.

Posted on: 2008/4/14 15:27

Re: Dollar Buses
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/11 21:46
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
NJ Transit-Smansit. I've veen commuting to NYC for 25 yrs. When I lived on the Western Slope, sometimes it made sense to take a bus to Journal Square and then hop on the PATH. Other times it made more sense to jump on a bus to the Port Authority. Before the Blvd. dollar vans, the commute was a nightmare. Bus drivers treated schedules like some folks treat marriage licenses - just a piece of paper. And when they did arrive, forget about it. Sometimes they were so full, there was no room for any more passengers. You'd have to wait for the next one - whenever it came - and hope it wasn't too crowded.

Then, there were the drivers. With maybe three exceptions, they would be on power trips. Some would refuse to pick you up if you were not standing in a designated spot by the bus stop sign that only they seemed to know. I overheard one tell a passenger that they enjoyed passing up well-dressed yuppies to "show them their place". Once when I boarded the NY Blvd. bus at the PA and realized that my wallet had been lifted, this man laughed at me.

One day, while waiting for TWO a JC bound NY Blvd buses that never came and watching other buses arriving and departing, a van driver solicited the line.

This happened more often. I would have been grateful just for more frequent service. The substantially lower fares were an unexpected bonus.

And the drivers? Once, I realized I was short and mentioned I had to go an ATM. The driver offered to spot me because he recognized me as one of his regular customers.

Now that I have moved to Palisade Avenue - right across the street from a bus stop, transportation is a joke. I take the 87 to Hoboken to catch PATH. It is supposed to run once every ten minutes during rush hour. Instead, you get four every twenty minutes. I am told this is because of congestion in the Bergen neighborhood. This does not explain why you wait for 45 mimutes to an hour for a bus after 7, instead of the 15 to 20 minutes stated on the schedule. At night, having just missed the 9:25 Coach bus back to JC, a rapidly growing line waiting in vain for a 9:50 bus that never showed. One commuter called and was told it was stuck on traffic on #440, which mystified everone familiar with that route. The customer service rep said the 9:50 bus took that route to get to the PA on time. Since it now 10:15, we all saw that worked real well. The 10:20 bus was only a little late.

Even the NY bound jitneys in this area stink. If you live near the Congress Street Light Rail or within walking distance of the 2nd Street station - or can use the Newport-GW jitneys, you are OK. Otherwise

Posted on: 2007/12/19 22:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/26 2:28
Group:
Banned
If I had to pick best type of Jitney Bus, I would have to say the ones with a sliding door that seats 24-28 passengers, the other jitneys while still good are showing their age. Believe me though, Unless my mom's car breaks down in Jersey City, I will ride the big bus with only an occasional ride on a Jitney although I still hate those jitneys which cause commuter chaos from time to time.

Posted on: 2007/12/17 2:22

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/30 16:58
Group:
Registered Users
This week I had to put my car in the shop and rely on the dollar buses and NJT buses for the first time. My only complaint is that the dollar buses do not have route maps, but I took the advice of others in this column and simply asked drivers where the bus went. The drivers were always very nice and the few buses I road on seemed relatively clean and in good condition. The NJT bus drivers were also very nice and helpful, but when I told them what bus stops I wanted (after using the Itinerary Planner on www.njtransit.com) they told me they didn't exist. Thankfully, the drivers knew their routes an were able to get me where I needed to go.

Posted on: 2007/11/10 20:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/19 2:37
Group:
Registered Users
I personally love the dollar buses. And I love the two dollar buses home from port authority. City buses around here rot. And, like the previous poster said - the dollar bus drivers are sooo nice - they have started to become like family to me.

I can see how they bother drivers...but - whenever I've been behind the wheel - I've never had a problem. They let me pass and all is good.

Posted on: 2007/11/10 16:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/5 13:09
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Are the jitneys unattractive? Sure. Are they the cleanest things out there? Nope. But, I rely on them. If I only took NJTransit buses, I'd be adding 20 mins a day to my commute probably. Until, NJTransit increases the frequency of the number of their buses, I'll continue to take the jitneys. Besides, the drivers are nicer than those on NJTransit. I've definitely never had a jitney driver ignore me at the bus stop and keep going as I've had NJTransit do on multiple occasions.

Speaking of NJTransit, it'd be nice if they stagger schedules a bit too... I can take the 83, 84, 88, and 125 from Jrnl Sq on my way home from work. All 4 of these buses leave Jrnl Sq between 6:30 and 6:34. You arrive at 6:35? Screwed! Doesn't make a lot of sense to have all those buses which go in the same direction to all leave at the same time.

Posted on: 2007/11/10 14:53

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/23 16:19
Group:
Registered Users
I hate the jitneys! there is an accident involving one of them AT LEAST once a month near my apartment. I live by the corner of Newark Ave and Pavonia (right by Dickenson HS) and those f**kers refuse to stop at the stop sign at that corner and will just roll into the intersection looking up Newark ave and not paying any attention to the cars in front of them.

I've seen them hit so many cars, including my own at that corner. Usually there is barely any damage to them and they usually total the car in front of them (thankfully not that much damage to mine).

The drivers are awful. they all seem to drive like maniacs. They pick and chose who and where they want to drop off and pick up people, half the time refusing to drop me off at my bus stop or picking me up at the stop. the buses themselves always smell like piss, and they rattle like they're about to fall apart any minute. I'm glad they got rid of some, they should get rid of them all or JC should regulate them better.

Posted on: 2007/11/7 14:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I never ride the jitneys and besides, they smell terrible and should be scrapped and the $1 fare is WAY too cheap, For that same Dollar I ride an 83 or 84 bus to Union City from Jersey City with a Reduced Fare ID Card because I am a person with a disability. Retire those Jitneys and clean up the air!!!!!!

Posted on: 2007/11/7 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Commuters scramble when jitneys yanked

Jersey Journal
Saturday, November 03, 2007

If commuters in North Hudson noticed fewer jitney buses on the streets Thursday, it's because authorities towed nearly half the ones pulled over for targeted vehicle checks, prompting others to be taken out of service, officials said.

The privately run jitneys, popular among commuters to New York as an alternative to NJ Transit buses, were being stopped by police on Boulevard East near the mouth of the Lincoln Tunnel in Weehawken during the morning and early afternoon, part of a joint operation conducted by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office Insurance Fraud Unit, and the state Department of Transportation, officials said.

Of the 19 buses checked, 11 had to be towed due to various safety violations, such as bald tires and emergency doors not working, said Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio.

He said the percentage of failing buses was about average for such inspections.

The first driver stopped had a warrant from municipal court for various motor vehicle violations, DeFazio said. Although the checks were timed to start after the rush hour, the companies started taking other buses off the streets, leaving commuters to cram onto packed NJ Transit buses.

"We learn from experience that once they start stopping vans, the drivers notify the radio dispatcher, and that causes a disruption or misdirection of services," DeFazio said.

CHARLES HACK

Posted on: 2007/11/3 9:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/8/10 15:38
Group:
Registered Users
funny poem...but have you had to wait for the 87 bus?

i would guess anyone who has does not love NJT, or at least the ridiculous amount of time you must wait for one to roll by-GRRR!

besides, taking the stinky short busses is most often your best bet to get into the city if necessary. they're cheaper and usually quicker.

most days i would rather take loud reggeaton than wait for an 87 to hoboken

Posted on: 2007/10/17 12:23
"...truth is not told, it is realized."

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 1:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I remember the days of waiting for the #10 when I lived by the University. The service was a lot better when it was a private company. I remember the day Dorgan sold the company.. waited for ever for the bus.

Posted on: 2007/10/17 4:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
In reality, those jitneys are showing their age and not to mention they smell terrible, no wonder I almost never ride the "Taxi" buses.

Posted on: 2007/10/17 3:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
A little poetry:

Jitneys stink,
and really suck,
New Jersey Transit's Better,
and gives you better luck.

Jitneys are crowded and cramped,
too many people take these damps,
$1.25 is a cheap fare,
but it takes too long to get there.

Mini-buses should banned,
and even be dismissed,
New Jersey Transit,
is a sure can't miss.

Summers are hot,
and Jitney cook,
The NJT's,
are a better look.

Posted on: 2007/10/14 3:16

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Coach USA needs to get rid of advertising on both sides and the back of the bus, it ruins the current color scheme on the livery and it cannot be removed, in addition, These buses need to be operated privately and have NJT Livery on them. No one should ever ride Jitney buses if they either have an NJT Bus pass or NJT Reduced Fare Card.

Posted on: 2007/10/14 2:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/11/12 12:56
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Westside and I have waited 45 minutes for a 10 to Journal Sq only to have 3 with "Bus Full No Passengers" on them. Coach USA sucks.

Posted on: 2007/10/14 2:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
ELIMINATE TRAFFIC CONGESTION,
DUMP ALL OF THOSE JITNEYS BEFORE ANOTHER NUMBSKULL GETS ON ONE!!!

Posted on: 2007/10/14 1:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Another concern---
Jitney buses are now parking at the corner of 10th and Manila. They block views of oncoming traffic and are a real traffic hazard.

Many also idle their engines at the corner. Sometimes 3-4 buses are parked at the corner.

I could see their usefulness, if they provided a regular service to the Path at Pavonioa/Newport--although after reading the previous posts I would be afraid to use them.

But it seems a little dangerous to have all these buses parked on a narrow residential street.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 20:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Here's an idea, make all of jitney buses that normally run via Bergenline Avenue to operate via JFK Boulevard a to Journal Square ONLY and for Jersey City riders, make a mini bus route from Exchange Place Path Station to the Journal Square Transportation center and operate it via Columbus drive, Montgomery Street, Via Newport Mall and via Newark Avenue to JSTC and make the 80 NJT bus go to Newport Mall instead of Exchange Place, those A&C IBOA buses are useless.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
The dollar buses are filthy death traps but
unfortunately, if you do not have a car to use,
they are the only way to get around JC.
The "legal" buses are a joke (but not funny.)

Posted on: 2007/10/13 16:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Trust me, most people will take the Jitney bus everyday, but they lack the convenience of some gadget to request a stop and they fill up very quickly, there must be a way to stop the overcrowding on those junk buses.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 15:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/21 15:03
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Juan you either work for Red/Tan or some other bus company and are trying to force a movement away from the jitneys or you really have some hate going on. All your posts involve your hatred of the jitneys. Sure I would like some regulation on the jitneys but they obviously are making money and providing a service that is considerably lacking. In the heights the 99s/10 does not provide the consistent service I get from the New York jitney on my morning commute. I'd take a jitney home if it was available then. As far as I know the first jitney bus back to NJ starts at 5pm. I have noticed when I take the PATH train and walk the mile home I am getting home before the 99s would get me there. So how can what is supposed to be a 15 minute bus ride be beaten by a 35 minute PATH ride/one mile walk?

Posted on: 2007/10/13 12:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
If the jitney buses aren't doing it already and want to make an extra $, they should do a run by Journal Square, Exchange Place and Newport PATH stations via VVPark, HPark and Lincoln Park during the peak commute periods to Manhattan

Posted on: 2007/10/13 12:00
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Or at least rename all of the Jitney buses under one company and make them run about every 15-30 minutes everyday and 30 minutes on weekends, it will make jitney bus riders think about taking alternate transportation, preferably on NJT.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 4:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I don't ride Jitney buses, but about 7 out of every 10 people in Hudson County take those Jitneys, they say it is a bus but I call them a Taxi because it ties-up traffic especially during the afternoon and accidents are waiting to happen, they should inspect every jitney bus and jitney buses who fail inspection will be scrapped or put out of service permanently!!!

Posted on: 2007/10/13 4:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
You want Coach USA to replace the dollar buses!? That is the worst bus company in the face of the Earth. Ask any Greenville, West Side, or Heights resident and you will see that they are not very much liked.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 3:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
At least where I live I do not have to wait 20 minutes for the Next NJT Bus and those Jitneys are totally Worthless. But in Downtown Jersey City, people must wait about 10-30 minutes for either an NJT 80 bus to Journal Square or a Red & Tan 16 to Journal Square, but it is much better than riding those dirty little Jitney buses and besides, they snarl up traffic every day.

Believe me, Jitney buses have reckless drivers who are so bad, they have suspended or no licenses and they are full of filth.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 1:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/2/24 1:03
Group:
Registered Users
Totally true. to bad you have to wait 45 minutes and watch 30+ mini busses go by waiting for the njt buss.
Quote:

juan833blue wrote:
There are six drawbacks to riding those mini-buses:

1. They literally stink
2. The seats are uncomfortable and there is very little space
3. No A/C during the Summer which will feel like a steambath
4. They are hazardous for the environment because of the Diesel smoke
5. They stop in the middle of the street and not on an NJT bus stop
6. They cause too much traffic congestion and keep picking up or discharging people when in a red light which is unnecessary

In other words, all of those Jitney buses have got to go, there is no way in the world that these small buses are good and not to mention the poor safety riding the little buses. Riding NJT is not only more reliable, but they also have drivers with tons of experience and not to mention that the seats are MUCH more comfortable than on the jitneys.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 0:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
There are six drawbacks to riding those mini-buses:

1. They literally stink
2. The seats are uncomfortable and there is very little space
3. No A/C during the Summer which will feel like a steambath
4. They are hazardous for the environment because of the Diesel smoke
5. They stop in the middle of the street and not on an NJT bus stop
6. They cause too much traffic congestion and keep picking up or discharging people when in a red light which is unnecessary

In other words, all of those Jitney buses have got to go, there is no way in the world that these small buses are good and not to mention the poor safety riding the little buses. Riding NJT is not only more reliable, but they also have drivers with tons of experience and not to mention that the seats are MUCH more comfortable than on the jitneys.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 0:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Put those Jitney buses on the scrapyard and make a private operator (Preferably Coach USA/Red & Tan or Academy No. 22) to operate buses which DO use clean-air Technology.

Posted on: 2007/10/13 0:36

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017