Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
139 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 139

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: motorcycle parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like PA: Issued by PEO L. Chambers. Ticket is for "Improper parking on a sidewalk". $54...

Posted on: 2015/9/14 16:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
You know what, maybe bring this up at one of those neighbor hood town halls. I would definitely go to support that. They put those enormous Citi bike racks that take up more than half of certain sidewalks.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 16:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcneighbor wrote:
There's only been one moped in front of Sushi Tango for the past several months (not mine). The one that got the ticket was a block south of there, by Wayne Street.

And there are three reasons for not parking in the street:
1) They don't have any internal locks for the forks, so you basically have no choice but to chain it to "something".
2) At about 110 pounds, even the SLIGHTEST bump by a car would send it crashing. And they're small enough that an SUV driver wouldn't even see it through their rear window.
3) Parking Authority doesn't issue parking permits for mopeds, so technically we'd be at risk of a ticket if parked in the street for a period of longer than 2 hours.

All great points. Do you know if the ticket is from the police or parking authority? If its from the PA I would try to fight it. I don't think their job is to patrol the sidewalks. In a city over crowded with cars I would think they would be more supportive of alternate transportation. Especially 50cc and under. I am also interested in what exactly the ticket is for. They have to provide someplace for a registered vehicle to park if they will not give out a parking permit.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 16:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There's only been one moped in front of Sushi Tango for the past several months (not mine). The one that got the ticket was a block south of there, by Wayne Street.

And there are three reasons for not parking in the street:
1) They don't have any internal locks for the forks, so you basically have no choice but to chain it to "something".
2) At about 110 pounds, even the SLIGHTEST bump by a car would send it crashing. And they're small enough that an SUV driver wouldn't even see it through their rear window.
3) Parking Authority doesn't issue parking permits for mopeds, so technically we'd be at risk of a ticket if parked in the street for a period of longer than 2 hours.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 16:17

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So I dont know what the law is but my neighbor parks a covered Vespa on the sidewalk and does not get bothered. If I am correct in thinking you are talking about the mopeds on Jersey in front of Sushi Tango (RIP) I can KIND OF see why he would get a ticket. We aren't talking one moped. We are talking about a collection of mopeds that are chained to bicycle racks and signs. Mopeds are motor vehicles, why not just park it on the side of the street like a real motorcycle. I am thinking this is a case of giving and inch and taking a mile.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 15:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This was an old thread, but no need to start a new one on the same topic.

A bunch of us Downtown enjoy riding old Mopeds. 50cc models, barely larger than a bicycle. One of my riding buddies just got a ticket for parking on the sidewalk on Jersey Ave. It's a WIDE sidewalk, and there was zero obstruction. The fact that 2 other Mopeds and a Vespa and a Motorcycle were also parked on Jersey within a span of two blocks and NONE of them received tickets really makes you wonder what the law is. Or is there a law? I looked and I sure can't find one. Anyone have any recent insights?

Posted on: 2015/9/14 15:08

Re: Parking a motorcycle on sidewalk in residential downtown

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/7/7 14:28
From grove st.
Group:
Registered Users
I asked this a while ago:
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... t_id=63585#forumpost63585

After that post I parked my motorcycle on the sidewalk, chained to a pole of some sort. It was certainly out of the way.

I had no problem for a few months. Lots of JC cops were ticketing cars up and down the street, never even looked at my bike.

Not sure of the exact laws, but as stated, just keep it out of everyones way and it seems to be fine.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/4 17:25
Group:
Registered Users
It is best to put your motorcycle or scooter somewhere that a car shouldn't be. If you take up a space, car drivers get mad and nasty.

Just park it so it is out of everybody's way, cover and lock it.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 18:56

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/9/24 18:01
Group:
Registered Users
Just keep it covered and give enough space for people to walk or push a stroller and you should be fine. I have never seen the Parking Authority ticketing a bike here.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 18:40

Parking a motorcycle on sidewalk in residential downtown

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/6/18 21:06
Group:
Registered Users
If you walk the residential areas of downtown, you see a motorcycle here and there, parked on the sidewalk. Usually, the owner has locked it to some stationary object like a railing or post.

Does anyone know if the parking authority leaves the bikes alone, as long as they're out of the way?

(If you call them, of course they will tell me absolutely can't do that, but I'm wondering if in practice, they look the other way)

Posted on: 2008/5/15 18:33

Parking Spot for Motorcycle

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/4/24 18:06
Group:
Registered Users
Hi. I am looking for off street parking for a smallish motorcycle. I'm in the 2nd and Newark area but am willing to walk a bit to get to a spot.

Anyone with some extra storage space and wants to make some extra cash, please get in touch.

Posted on: 2007/4/23 16:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
This would have to one of the best responses to a topic on JClist.
Everyone has given a positive informative response to a topic that would seem trivial to some.

Posted on: 2006/8/22 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/13 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bubbles wrote:
Quote:

brian_em wrote:
Parking your scooter on the street without a permit is no problem, as long as you move it for street cleaning. Sometimes i park mine on a wide sidewalk, outside my house. But im just lucky that i haven't had a problem yet.

Is there any set schedule for street cleaning? I hope they clean the same streets at the same time like clockwork so I can watch and figure out when that is.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Its not a scooter but its not a big harley either. I dont have a private little yard, the front door opens right on to the sidewalk. I am still trying to figure out where is safe to park.

The street cleaning sched. is posted on the signs on the street. I would look into the resident permit, if the PA says you need one then definately get it for $10. Don't give the police or PA an excuse to ticket or impound the bike. I have seen bikes parked on the sidewalk chained to trees or fences. It doesn't bother me but if someone complains the authorities will be compelled to take some action (ticket, impound). The best and most neighbor friendly place to park a bike is a small space between two driveways or prohibited areas where a car couldn't fit if there is such a spot on the block. It really pisses people (me) off to see a bike take a whole parking spot on their block.

Posted on: 2006/8/22 15:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
From grove st.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brian_em wrote:
Parking your scooter on the street without a permit is no problem, as long as you move it for street cleaning. Sometimes i park mine on a wide sidewalk, outside my house. But im just lucky that i haven't had a problem yet.

Is there any set schedule for street cleaning? I hope they clean the same streets at the same time like clockwork so I can watch and figure out when that is.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Its not a scooter but its not a big harley either. I dont have a private little yard, the front door opens right on to the sidewalk. I am still trying to figure out where is safe to park.

Posted on: 2006/8/22 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
This is good advice. Also, if you are going to park on the sidewalk, you should do so next to an already existing obstruction. For example, behind a tree cut-out in the sidewalk both far enough from the curb to not block car doors and close enough to the curb to not block pedestrians any more than the tree cut-out does.

Common sense does generally prevail on this issue in JC; unlike NYC. At one point NYC actually ticketed motorcycles for parking too close to each other on the street instead of taking a whole space! In retaliation the bikers parked far enough from each other to take an entire space and locked up the parking for blocks. The city relented but that's the kind of thing that can happen when common sense does not prevail.

Quote:

Australian wrote:
Since the authorities consider this a 'grey' area, common sense should apply.

My tip is so long as the motorbike isn't a Harley but a Vespa or scooter, parking on the footpath should be ok.

Just kerb it for 2 reasons:

1. Allow enough room for strollers and wheel chairs to pass.
2. Blind people use the building line with their white cane to get around. (nothing worse then a blind person falling over the bike.)

Also when parked against the kerb, leave enough room from the kerb so motorists don't knock it when they open their doors.

These tips are geared for safe passage for everyone and to protect your investment.

If it is deemed illegal to park on the footpath and you get a ticket - don't call me, I'll call you!

curb = kerb (not sure which one is used in the U.S.)

Posted on: 2006/8/21 1:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
Since the authorities consider this a 'grey' area, common sense should apply.

My tip is so long as the motorbike isn't a Harley but a Vespa or scooter, parking on the footpath should be ok.

Just kerb it for 2 reasons:

1. Allow enough room for strollers and wheel chairs to pass.
2. Blind people use the building line with their white cane to get around. (nothing worse then a blind person falling over the bike.)

Also when parked against the kerb, leave enough room from the kerb so motorists don't knock it when they open their doors.

These tips are geared for safe passage for everyone and to protect your investment.

If it is deemed illegal to park on the footpath and you get a ticket - don't call me, I'll call you!

curb = kerb (not sure which one is used in the U.S.)

Posted on: 2006/8/17 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
check the DMV manuals-

Scooters over 50cc, require a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license (motorcycle license) and motorcycle tags. These scooters can go on a highway or through tunnels, anywhere a motorcycle is permitted.

Scooters less than 50cc (hence many 49cc), require only a drivers license (double check if a moped license works), but are not permtted on highways/tunnels etc.

Quote:

brian_em wrote:
Well, I have a motorscooter in JC and basically no one knows how to handle it. The dmv has a hard time classifying scooters in general, and calling the JCPA will just frustrate you and waste your time. Parking your scooter on the street without a permit is no problem, as long as you move it for street cleaning. Sometimes i park mine on a wide sidewalk, outside my house. But im just lucky that i haven't had a problem yet.

Having a scooter is a huge pain in the ass b.c laws for them are so dated, and honestly, dmv officials just don't know how to handle them. They try and force you to get a motorcycle liscense, but then won't let you ride it on a highway, so how do you get the bike to rahway (the nearest motorcycle roadtest facility) to take the test?

Posted on: 2006/8/17 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/12/23 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
I think that parking a bike inside your own front yard won't be a problem based on my experience. It only makes sense as the bike is on private property.

I suspect, but am not sure, that you can park a bike on the sidewalk if it isn't an obstruction to pedestrians. I see it all the time and kudos to the Parking Authority for not being a pain about this (unlike NYC). The alternative would be getting a $5 parking tag but subjecting your bike to being knocked over and 1/2 or so less parking space for cars (heaven forbid). One less source of conflict in this town is a good thing...

Quote:

DanL wrote:
Well the rules should be the same, but the parking permit decals are made to be stuck to the inside of a car window, therefore would be in reverse on a motorcycle fender.

I was told verbally by the Parking Authority 5 years ago that they do not ticket or tow motorcycles. Many people park bikes inside front gates, but that may not be legal, though never heard that anyone had trouble. Same on the side of the sidewalk,

Give a call to the PA and ask for a supervisor do not rely on hearsay.

Posted on: 2006/8/17 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I have a motorscooter in JC and basically no one knows how to handle it. The dmv has a hard time classifying scooters in general, and calling the JCPA will just frustrate you and waste your time. Parking your scooter on the street without a permit is no problem, as long as you move it for street cleaning. Sometimes i park mine on a wide sidewalk, outside my house. But im just lucky that i haven't had a problem yet.

Having a scooter is a huge pain in the ass b.c laws for them are so dated, and honestly, dmv officials just don't know how to handle them. They try and force you to get a motorcycle liscense, but then won't let you ride it on a highway, so how do you get the bike to rahway (the nearest motorcycle roadtest facility) to take the test?

Posted on: 2006/8/15 18:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
I might get a Vespa or something -- I see scooters parked on the sidewalk around town. But I have another question -- can two people ride on a scooter in NJ? I read about it online but I am not clear -- anyone know?

Posted on: 2006/8/15 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Well the rules should be the same, but the parking permit decals are made to be stuck to the inside of a car window, therefore would be in reverse on a motorcycle fender.

I was told verbally by the Parking Authority 5 years ago that they do not ticket or tow motorcycles. Many people park bikes inside front gates, but that may not be legal, though never heard that anyone had trouble. Same on the side of the sidewalk,

Give a call to the PA and ask for a supervisor do not rely on hearsay.

Posted on: 2006/8/15 17:08

motorcycle parking

Hide User information
Last Login :
From grove st.
Group:
Registered Users
I assume the rules that apply to car parking are the same for motorcycles in JC? Downtown specifically.

If anyone has a motorcycle and would like to offer some tips you will get my hearty appreciation.

Posted on: 2006/8/14 22:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017