Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Ideas to discourage gang activity?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/3/21 16:22
Group:
Registered Users
I can't believe no one has figured this out yet, it's simple,
white t-shirts - Montgomery Projects
Black T-shirts - Booker T Projects
draw your own conclusions........

Posted on: 2008/3/3 12:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Annod wrote:
How about getting one of those devices that emit a sound that young people can hear but older people cannot?

'Mosquito' Repels Youths
BARRY, Wales, Dec. 5, 2005(CBS) A machine that emits an annoying sound that only youths can hear is being tried as a way to keep loitering teens away.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/1 ... /living/main1095665.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/conten ... _sound_wave_feature.shtml

http://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/deterrent_news_38.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/29/int ... =4bbc6efb49d70c5f&ei=5090

Queens Apartment Building Installs Anti-Teen Device

Teenagers are hearing something they don't like these days in one Jamaica Queens apartment building. A new security device called 'The Mosquito' has been installed in the lobby of a building where there have been chronic problems with noisy teens.

id=109945@wcbs.dayport.com" title="http://wcbstv.com/video/?id=109945@wcbs.dayport.com" rel="noopener external">http://wcbstv.com/video/?id=109945@wcbs.dayport.com

Posted on: 2008/3/3 3:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

pchops wrote:

Next time you see drug activity, try to figure out who is the main drug dealer (normally the person inside the building) and who are the footmen (normally the kids on the street). Try to figure out who is the distributor (vehicle despcription and car license plate). Call narcotics at 201.547.5391.

I really respect the fact that you are a good narcotics detective and I'm genuinely grateful for all that you've done, but I'm not a good detective.

If the Jersey City police are saying, "Call us when it looks as if there are a bunch of guys who just plain look and sound as if they are up to no good hanging out, and then we'll send a plainsclothes officer to observe the situation," I can do that.

But if the police are saying, "Figure out who the dealer is or we won't even come," I think that's unrealistic.

Also: I don't really know if, statistically, the Van Vorst Park/Harsimus Cove/Hamilton Park is having a crime wave or not. But, if it is, that whole area is really very small. One guy on a bike or a motorcycle should be able to ride along every street here in about half an hour. And someone hovering overhead in a helicopter ought to be able to scope out the entire neighborhood in about three minutes.

So, my inclination is to think that, if the police say they need detailed information about who the dealer is before they can do anything, that means they really don't want to do anything.

Posted on: 2006/6/27 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/3/8 22:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

pchops wrote:
The Police have told the downtown neighborhood watch group not to use the word "gang" so quickly especially when calling the 201.547.5477 number..

Good advice. I hope people heed it.

Posted on: 2006/6/27 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/8 14:23
Group:
Registered Users
The Police have told the downtown neighborhood watch group not to use the word "gang" so quickly especially when calling the 201.547.5477 number. You can say large group of young men or juveniles and give a clothing description. And if they are hanging out at one their own residents, then there's really nothing you can call until you witness activity.

Next time you see drug activity, try to figure out who is the main drug dealer (normally the person inside the building) and who are the footmen (normally the kids on the street). Try to figure out who is the distributor (vehicle despcription and car license plate). Call narcotics at 201.547.5391.

If your area is a common meeting area for gang activity, meet with the police captain to discuss our "hot spot".
Now I haven't called the Juvenile Bureau but here's there number 201.547.5424.

Cameras, lighting, etc. can also help. If you have additional questions, please email downtownjcwatch@gmail.com, even if you don't live downtown.

Posted on: 2006/6/27 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

elgoodo wrote: Fat chance with Mayor McHealy handing out abatements like halloween candy.

Mayor McHealy!!!

Posted on: 2006/6/27 1:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
What intersection are you referring to, if I may ask? Are you sure there are drug deals going on? Usually dealers run solo, not in large obvious crowds.

Sorry on everyone's behalf for the poor attitudes, but your apparent pissy-pants-scared-of-the-local-kids-cuz-school's-out paranoia is kind of ruining it for the rest of us, you know?

Posted on: 2006/6/27 1:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/19 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you everyone for all for your helpful and not so helpful posts to my original question. In response to the discussion of the white t-shirts =gang. I realize that it does not mean that they are part of a gang I was trying to make a loose discription of urban youth. And yes I have see them engage in drug sales which is why I am concerned.

Posted on: 2006/6/27 1:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/1/5 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

epitome wrote:
....Please don't tell me that the fact that they were wearing long white t-shirts has you concerned. Jersey City is an urban city that is at least 60% minority...

Did anyone else catch the logical fallacy in that statistic?

Posted on: 2006/6/27 1:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/11 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
ummmm....Not let them march as a group in a parade?

Posted on: 2006/6/26 18:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users
One solution...

When they tag their name with Graffiti, just use your own spray can and write "is Gay" right next to it.

Posted on: 2006/6/26 17:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/18 22:17
From Marion/ JSQ
Group:
Registered Users
There was a cultural phenomenon in the mid and late 60's called "white flight". If living in an urban area is that intimidating for some, why not consider a more suburban lifestyle?

Just a thought!

Posted on: 2006/6/26 4:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/5 6:28
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with alb on the high-quality mandatory boarding schools with extensive counseling. Kids would be forced to graduate with a good education and won't have the distractions and lure of inner city street life. They will be force fed exposure to other, more positive lifestyles. It would be very expensive though, however not as expensive as incarcerating someone at $40,000 a year. We either deal with these kids now or pay the price by possibly becoming their victim or paying for their incarceration. I don't think the parents are able to do much for whatever reason, even though a kid should be the responsibility of the parent. Single parents could be messed up but if the only parent is working, it could be mean a lot of unsupervised time for the kid. And sometimes kids just want more than what their parent can provide. Many kids are rebellious because they have a missing father. And some grow up in an environment that tells them their isn't much in store for you anyway, so do what you got to do to get yours now. Anything that would take kids out of the inner city until at least high school graduation would be great. And if they went away to college right after that, it would be evn better. One has a better chance of surviving in the inner city if they are already grounded and focused, past the very impressionable, highly flawed logic age. I've been told that this is a pipe dream though. Our system likes to do things that don't work, not things that actually have a chance of really making a difference.

Posted on: 2006/6/26 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Australian wrote:
Make parents or guardians accountable for their childrens actions when they commit offences.

I agree, in general, but I'm not sure how much it would help with the "baby gangbangers," if they're the ones committing the crimes and vandalism we're worrying about here.

My guess is that the baby gangbangers from decent homes are the ones just strutting around trying to look tough and maybe tagging a few gazebo pillars.

This could be wrong, but my guess is that any baby gangbangers who are responsible for muggings and home break-ins are so messed up that no parent could control them, or children of extremely messed up single moms, or children who have already been taken away from their parents and are living with aunts, grandmothers or great-aunts who have no idea what to do with a rowdy teenager.

The real solution for rowdy teenagers is probably high-quality, mandatory boarding schools for kids who appear to be heading in the wrong direction. But running that sort of program is expensive, and it's famous that kids and teachers end up beating or sodomizing a bunch of the kids who end up in those programs.

So I think the best solution is a combination of parent responsibility laws; better teen work and activity programs, for the decent kids who are just bored; and some residential programs equipped with so many live Webcams that no teachers or residents have enough privacy to bugger any of the other teachers or residents.

Posted on: 2006/6/25 21:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/3 12:11
Group:
Registered Users
Make parents or guardians accountable for their childrens actions when they commit offences.

I feel you can't expect society and the government to always have solutions for bad parenting.

You bring them into this world - your responsible for them in this world until they are legally called and adult.

Posted on: 2006/6/24 20:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/11 12:35
From Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
There were a bunch of guys with long white shirts on in front of the Mosque on Grove Street. Are these the same guys? They also had beards. You knwo what that means.

I tested out the bad music theory by whistling "copacabana" but they ignored me. If they can resist even manilow, I think they won't fall for that "body on the street with ketchup" trick. These guys look pretty crafty.

Perhaps they can be repelled by pink button down oxfords.

Posted on: 2006/6/24 18:29
"Contemplate this upon the Tree of Woe."

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users
How about some policing?
That might do the trick, huh?

Posted on: 2006/6/24 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
I've heard this rumor that in Jersey City, hotter weather tends to cause an increase in young people hanging outside. It must be one of those weird "hip-hop culture" things!

Also, apparently this year long white tees are in and oxford blue shirts tucked into khakis are out. Just a rumor though.

Posted on: 2006/6/24 1:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

e-eff wrote:
Quote:

epitome wrote:
Oh yeah, ideas to discourage gang activity - Get Jersey City and the Board of Ed. to invest in engaging programs for youth in Jersey City. Get businesses to hire teens after school and in the summer. Years ago Jersey City had many programs for youth. They have just about all been cut. This is one major cause for the recent rise in gang activity.

What do you expect with abatements rampant all over town.

I'm suprised more people aren't complaining about the fact that the schools are what suffer the most with these tax breaks. They do a huge disservice to the youth of JC.

Yeah. Fat chance with Mayor McHealy handing out abatements like halloween candy. There are a lot of us who understand what kind of hole in the local economy is left by such policies, and many of us have fought against it for years. Some of us also voted for said mayor, who ran on a platform of "no abatements on the waterfront", only to later clarify that "the waterfront" to him meant, literally, on the water, and that downtown abatements in general were A-OK with him.

Posted on: 2006/6/23 18:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

epitome wrote:

Long white t-shirts is a staple of urban youth clothing and culture. Please don't tell me that the fact that they were wearing long white t-shirts has you concerned.

The guys I'm thinking about when I'm on these threads seem to be dressing sort of alike, so that's how I figure out who they are, but the reason I personally have concerns about them is that they seem to be talking to each other about committing crimes and selling drugs and they just have really hard faces.

On the other hand, I'm only hearing little bits of what they're saying, and it's possible that they're just trying to act tough and aren't really all that tough.

On the third hand, it seems as if I'm noticing fewer kids streaming past my door toward the park than I was noticing a few weeks ago, so it's possible that the fad has passed and/or that the police have taken some kind of reasonably successful action.

Posted on: 2006/6/23 17:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/28 20:47
From Wayne BTW Jersey/Barrow
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

epitome wrote:
Oh yeah, ideas to discourage gang activity - Get Jersey City and the Board of Ed. to invest in engaging programs for youth in Jersey City. Get businesses to hire teens after school and in the summer. Years ago Jersey City had many programs for youth. They have just about all been cut. This is one major cause for the recent rise in gang activity.

What do you expect with abatements rampant all over town.

I'm suprised more people aren't complaining about the fact that the schools are what suffer the most with these tax breaks. They do a huge disservice to the youth of JC.

Posted on: 2006/6/23 14:32
... When life gives you lemons - Make Lemontini's!!

Dennis Deyoung is a musical genius

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/5 6:29
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/6/23 1:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/8/5 6:29
Group:
Registered Users
Petunia -
Long white t-shirts is a staple of urban youth clothing and culture. Please don't tell me that the fact that they were wearing long white t-shirts has you concerned. Jersey City is an urban city that is at least 60% minority. Many black and hispanics are into urban culture or hip hop culture. Long white t-shirts has nothing to do with gangs and if this is what you reported to the police then that is why you got no response. How do you expect urban youth to look? You sound genuinely concerned but if you didn't see anything going on, I would not be worried. You will see a lot of black and hispanics in Jersey City and many youth in long white t-shirts. The people who have been here for many years are not going anyplace so this is what you will continue to see. Yes, there is gang and drug activity but there has always been. I am currently trying to get teenagers off of my corner who have been seen actually selling drugs and who are a part of a gang so I know that in some cases there is cause for concern. But long white t-shirts does not equate gangs and drug activity.

Posted on: 2006/6/23 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thirdbird wrote:

psssst. I heard a rumor..that lazy chihuahua from Santos y Ana has been quilting the expensive napkins that he stole from Basic together, and creating long, white t-shirts!!! don't be alarmed. he really just needs the dough.

GOOD STUFF!

Posted on: 2006/6/20 10:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/2/8 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

alb wrote:
Quote:

petunia wrote:
Recently there has begun to be a large group of young men in long white t-shirts who hang out on the corner across from my building. Trust me they are not up to any good.

Official - Try taking photos or video of the guys from a dark room with a good camera (so that you can see the guys and they can't see you), and then give this to Steve Fulop.

Old-fashioned/low-tech - About 10 years ago, I remember reading about urban malls that tried to chase kids away by playing the geekiest music possible. Maybe try playing bad 1970s children's music.

If you and the neighbors on the corner agree that you're willing to do absolutely anything to chase those guys away: all buy skunk scent and rub it on your stoops and every other relevant place. See: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=%22skunk+scent%22&btnG=Search

Create a Webcam for that corner and promote it on JC List. Maybe some cops will start watching it for fun and do something everything.

Force them to read a copy of as many of Alb's posts that you can find on this website. They will surely be bored to death by the uninteresting drivel that he/she spews on a regular basis.

Posted on: 2006/6/20 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

petunia wrote:
Recently there has begun to be a large group of young men in long white t-shirts who hang out on the corner across from my building. Trust me they are not up to any good.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/6/20 2:58
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/30 19:19
Group:
Registered Users
psssst. I heard a rumor..that lazy chihuahua from Santos y Ana has been quilting the expensive napkins that he stole from Basic together, and creating long, white t-shirts!!! don't be alarmed. he really just needs the dough.

Posted on: 2006/6/20 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Stop selling white t-shirts.

Posted on: 2006/6/19 15:47

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/30 17:08
Group:
Registered Users
Well, if memory serves me correctly, according to Michael Jackson in the "Beat It" video, all you need to do is show the gang members the errors of their ways by engaging them with dance.

Try it. You'd be surprise of the powers of pursuasion held by the moonwalk.

Posted on: 2006/6/19 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
How about getting one of those devices that emit a sound that young people can hear but older people cannot?

'Mosquito' Repels Youths
BARRY, Wales, Dec. 5, 2005(CBS) A machine that emits an annoying sound that only youths can hear is being tried as a way to keep loitering teens away.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/1 ... /living/main1095665.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/conten ... _sound_wave_feature.shtml

http://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/deterrent_news_38.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/29/int ... =4bbc6efb49d70c5f&ei=5090

Posted on: 2006/6/19 15:16

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?