Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Re: Best pizza in JC????

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/23 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Tommy thanks for the compliment. Our intent was always to be open on nights and weekends. Hopeully we'll get there soon.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Gargiulo - I think your pies are fantastic and I wish I could get there more. As Exchange Place continues to develop and becomes more of a 50/50 mix of residential and corporate, I think you'll find enough business to stay open nights and weekends. I for one wish you were open on the weekends.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 17:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
The brick oven pizza truck is $10 a pie, I think, but it's worth it. Good stuff, and fast.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 17:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
anybody tried the pizza truck that goes to the Farmer's Market in HP? they have this (brick?) oven on the truck itself and it sure looks good, just haven't had the time to stay around and get a taste.

It is delicious! And it takes 2 minutes, so there is no wait. Unfortunately it is a tad expensive and my brood is addicted!

Posted on: 2013/7/17 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
anybody tried the pizza truck that goes to the Farmer's Market in HP? they have this (brick?) oven on the truck itself and it sure looks good, just haven't had the time to stay around and get a taste.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 19:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes we deliver. Also it is a good idea to call ahead if you want a sandwich. They are each made fresh and toasted in the oven so they take longer then just picking up a slice. Same is true for a whole or 10" personal pie. If you call ahead you can also avoid waiting in the line in the store.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Gargiulo Guy - you deliver, correct?

Posted on: 2013/7/16 19:20

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone. My name is Peter Gargiulo. My wife Lynne & I are the owners of Pizza alla Gargiulo. I just found this website and this topic. I enjoyed reading through the thread. I apologize to everyone for the lack of evening and weekend hours. We actually were originally open until 9:00PM Monday through Friday for the first 18 months we were open. There just wasn't enough business to justify staying open in the evening. We recently have resumed our 11-6:00PM hours with the hopes of adding back nights and eventually weekend hours.
We also have a new chef and have adjusted our sauce and dough recipes. Our pizza is crispier and less greasy and I think is the best pizza we've ever made. Also the chef, who is direct from Sicily, makes an incerdible vodka sauce. Please try it on ravoli or on the stuffed shells. We still make all our dough and bread in house daily. Please let me know if anyone has any problems or comments. Thanks. Peter & Lynne.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

mr_grumpy_face wrote:
In my humble opinion, John's is the best in DTJC, followed by Buon Appettito and La Rustique (now that the crazy owners are gone).

I actively try to sample pizza from everywhere in town, but those are the only 3 places I regularly order from.

I haven't had Buon Appettio since the Bayonne owners sold their J.C. location to the current workers that are there currently, how is it now ?

When did they sell? We ordered from there last week and I thought the pie was off. At the time I thought it was just under-cooked.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm going to go ahead and throw Laico's into the mix here (not sure if anyone else mentioned them). I've eaten there many times, but never had the pizza until about a week ago, when we stopped by and ordered a pie to go. The crust was good - not super thin but well done and tasty. The toppings were very fresh and good as well. One tell-tale for me are the mushrooms. You can easily tell the difference between a place that uses canned mushrooms and one that uses fresh. Laico's mushrooms were fresh.

I can't possibly tell where they rank in the whole JC pizza mix, but I'd put their pie pretty far up on the list. If you know where Laico's is I think it's worth a try.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/2 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
Charlie, the original owner of La Rustique, is in fact working at the pizza "station" of the Grove St. bistro. I've tried plain slices from there twice now, and you really are getting what you pay for. $1.25 is the perfect amount for a young individual stopping by after grabbing drinks locally (speaking from experience) but I wouldn't recommend it for a sober slice.
La Rustique, since being sold to the new owner, is still my favorite when I want to order a whole pie. Wonderful sauce, usually perfectly cooked, and fresh basil...what's not to love? But it doesn't reheat well due to the sauce being on top.'
For a real, Neopolitan style pizza, Razza is the place to go. Their pies are not quite big enough to split, but almost too big to eat solo..but absolutely worth every bite.

Posted on: 2013/7/7 5:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/24 0:33
Group:
Registered Users
I've tried them all. John's is the best...

Posted on: 2013/7/6 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Now that you mention it, I also remember seeing the guy (1/2 of crazy?) from La Rustique running out of Razza (spelling? the pizza place on grove by montgomery) not too long ago. Wondering if he was "consulting" there too...

Quote:

gordonh wrote:

1/2 of crazy has been spotted at the pizza oven in the new Grove Bistro. He said that he was hired as a consultant to get it up and running...

Posted on: 2013/7/5 17:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
I dont think I have ever had John's in DTJC. Heck, I don't even know where it is.

My go to downtown is a pie from carmines with extra cheese, sausage, garlic. Well done.

Perfect.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
what happened to the crazy owners for La Rustique? Did they sell and retire? Just curious...

Quote:

mr_grumpy_face wrote:
In my humble opinion, John's is the best in DTJC, followed by Buon Appettito and La Rustique (now that the crazy owners are gone).

1/2 of crazy has been spotted at the pizza oven in the new Grove Bistro. He said that he was hired as a consultant to get it up and running...

Posted on: 2013/7/5 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
what happened to the crazy owners for La Rustique? Did they sell and retire? Just curious...

Quote:

mr_grumpy_face wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/4 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I also like Buon Appetito. Not great for the super thin crust lovers but it's not a thick, doughy crust either. Relatively thin to medium crust but a nice chew. Good flavored sauce, right amount of cheese and the toppings taste fresh. And the owners are really nice.

Posted on: 2013/7/4 22:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/14 17:51
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mr_grumpy_face wrote:

I actively try to sample pizza from everywhere in town, but those are the only 3 places I regularly order from.

Agree 100%.

Also, class move by John's in their response.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mr_grumpy_face wrote:

I haven't had Buon Appettio since the Bayonne owners sold their J.C. location to the current workers that are there currently, how is it now ?

Posted on: 2013/7/3 16:04
Get on your bikes and ride !

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/16 14:53
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/3 15:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/23 15:43
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Midikris,
We use the same ingredients and recipes as the other locations in NYC. If you have ordered from us since this post, please let us know how your experience was. We love the feed back.

Thank you,
John's Pizzeria Management Team

Quote:

midikris wrote:
How about John's Pizza? Love their Pizza when we order from their NYC location, I'm wondering if the JC location is just as good.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 14:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/23 15:43
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
mwa7368,
We are deeply sorry for this inconvenient situation. We do read the reviews listed on JC List and look into correcting any and all complaints that have been stated. We have spoken with our delivery team regarding this situation in order to prevent it from happening in the future.

In the future, if a situation were to arise, please contact our management team at John's Pizzeria in Jersey City the day of so we know which member of our delivery team was at fault. We appreciate your review, and hope you will join us again.

Thank you,
John's Pizzeria Management Team

Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
I found John's here to be awful. Vowed never to order again. I think the delivery guy had an attitude about ringing the bell and walking up a flight of stairs to deliver it. I hate that and tend not to order from places when the delivery guys make excuses like there's no parking, I can't come up. Oh, look at that, there's no money in my wallet, sorry I can't tip!

Quote:

midikris wrote:
How about John's Pizza? Love their Pizza when we order from their NYC location, I'm wondering if the JC location is just as good.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I found John's here to be awful. Vowed never to order again. I think the delivery guy had an attitude about ringing the bell and walking up a flight of stairs to deliver it. I hate that and tend not to order from places when the delivery guys make excuses like there's no parking, I can't come up. Oh, look at that, there's no money in my wallet, sorry I can't tip!

Quote:

midikris wrote:

Posted on: 2013/6/21 23:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 0:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Alright, just went to what I thought would be Frank's. Turns out there was something called 3 guys, and then right next to it an open pizzeria. It was Esperanto's, and they said that they had opened on Monday. The oversized slies/pies reminded me of Koronet's near Columbia in Manhattan.
The resemblance ended there. Oversalted, and one of the death-knells of pizza: when I tilted it, the cheese threatened to slide off in one piece because the sauce formed a viscous barrier between any chances of adhesion between the cheese and crust. I can't recommend it.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 23:18

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/17 0:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

icecreamarsenal wrote:
I'm a pizzahead. I've been here for 2 years.
Let's categorize, shall we?
Neapolitan: Razza
New York-Neapolitan: Rustique
New York: What I'm really craving but haven't found a good one. Haven't tried Vinnie's.
Live closer to rustique than stella's but my craving has found me ordering from stella's. It's incredibly inconsistent, usually tasing like cheese and sauce on bread, rather than pizza.

2 years and you've only tried a few in the Downtown area ? What about the rest of the city ? There are pleanty of Italian owned pizza parlors abound throughout J.C. There are three up in the Heights on the east side Central Ave. worth mentioning.

I haven't had an occasion to visit the rest of the JC pizzerias, but I'm going to ride over to Frank's tonight to check it out.
By pizzahead I mean I've flown out to Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix, Arizona, just for the pizza. I've flown to Naples for some legit DOC pizza. I've read pizza books and watched the documentaries. I know who the original Ray is (because I watched the documentaries.)
None of this means my opinion is more valid, but I know what I like, and Stella's is not it. I wanted it to be, because of the convenience of it all. I'd love to buy the location and remake it, tbh.

edit: just noticed, italian-owned pizzerias? I found it to be a curious distinction. I hope that pizzerias that are not Italian-owned flourish on their merits that they serve delicious pizza. According to Pizza Today, the percentage of non-Italian-Americans who own pizzerias is steadily increasing. I, a non-Italian, hope one day to be involved in the pizza business, a high-margin, delicious business to the tune of $400,000 net averaged countrywide.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 22:08

Edited by icecreamarsenal on 2013/6/21 22:25:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Had a slice at the new grovestbistro/speakeasy place.
Heard it was the Rustique guy. Great slice if you're into brick oven style.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ProgressJC wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Frank is a true Jersey City treasure. I don't think he was open as often as he could be for the last month or so. He was one of the driving forces in getting Mayor-elect Fulop to where he is today. Frank should be made "Official Pizza Master to City Hall".

That would be awesome. Frank really did play a big part in getting Mayor Fullop and his counterparts into office. I would love to see the Mayor get him involved in city hall. He should spearhead a commission on making Jersey City more business friendly or getting our streets cleaned up.

Good idea. Frank is a great asset to Jersey City. Too bad the pizza restaurant has been rented out. I'll miss Frank's pizza.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

icecreamarsenal wrote:
I'm a pizzahead. I've been here for 2 years.
Let's categorize, shall we?
Neapolitan: Razza
New York-Neapolitan: Rustique
New York: What I'm really craving but haven't found a good one. Haven't tried Vinnie's.
Live closer to rustique than stella's but my craving has found me ordering from stella's. It's incredibly inconsistent, usually tasing like cheese and sauce on bread, rather than pizza.

2 years and you've only tried a few in the Downtown area ? What about the rest of the city ? There are pleanty of Italian owned pizza parlors abound throughout J.C. There are three up in the Heights on the east side Central Ave. worth mentioning.

So mention them.

Ginos, Pizza Masters, and Rizzo's

Posted on: 2013/6/21 16:35
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Rizzo's up in the Heights is on point.

Italian owned and delicious

Posted on: 2013/6/21 16:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/29 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:

Frank is a true Jersey City treasure. I don't think he was open as often as he could be for the last month or so. He was one of the driving forces in getting Mayor-elect Fulop to where he is today. Frank should be made "Official Pizza Master to City Hall".

That would be awesome. Frank really did play a big part in getting Mayor Fullop and his counterparts into office. I would love to see the Mayor get him involved in city hall. He should spearhead a commission on making Jersey City more business friendly or getting our streets cleaned up.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 6:09

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017