Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
60 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 60

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Do you recommend particular Roofer?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
You can call the manufacturer of the roofing material you want installed for a list of certified roofers in your area. The manufacturers train and certify roofers to install their products and as such they'll warrant the workmanship even if the roofer goes out of business. The cost of the roofing material remains the same no matter who you use, as that's set by the manufacturer. It's the labor cost that causes the swing in estimates.
No matter who you pick, make sure they show you a certificate of insurance that names you, the homeowner, as the insured. They should also provide you with proof of workman's comp insurance for their workers. If one of the workers falls off your roof and breaks their neck. you're sh#* out of luck because homeowners insurance doesn't cover workers hurt on your premises. If they can't provide the proofs of insurance, they shouldn't be on your roof.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 11:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/22 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
I'm reaching out to MaloryTowers to hear about her experience. If I had to choose a roofer it would be Capitol but I fear they won't work for me again because it took an very unpleasant telephone exchange to get them to finish the job they started..a small porch roof...over a year...You ask why would I want to use them again? Because they have a stellar reputation and I don't trust anyone up there on what is between $5,000 to $10,000 job depending on layers etc...The porch was so small and it happened after storm Sandy so I know they were swamped but still--a year later they finally got it down after I totally lost it with them. Eh, contractor--getting them to show up is half the battle and those are the good ones.

Posted on: 2014/8/12 17:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 19:50
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Can any of you post your per sq ft pricing for a flat roof? It would be nice to get an idea of what a fair price is, going in I really have no idea. I know there's a lot of variables, but excluding things like skylights, it should be possible to compare some figures.

Hi--we just had a partial flat roof done that encompassed two+ rooms by Elite in Bayonne. We had more than the roof done but including a new skylight, two small windows, a small amount of siding, a new white membrane, new flashing and stacks, the entire price was $5000--because we had a couple of extras, as I mentioned, yours probably would be cheaper. They came highly recommended on Angie's List and were the middle of three quotes. They took a while to get here but when they did the work it was fast and excellent. You are welcome to contact me and I can share the specific quote with you.

Posted on: 2014/8/11 21:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Can any of you post your per sq ft pricing for a flat roof? It would be nice to get an idea of what a fair price is, going in I really have no idea. I know there's a lot of variables, but excluding things like skylights, it should be possible to compare some figures.

Posted on: 2014/8/11 20:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/29 11:11
Group:
Registered Users
S&S just completed a completed removal (4 layers!) and replacement of my flat roof and did a really incredible job. They worked with tremendous attention to detail and their price was 25% less than capitol. I'm not easy to work for but he was great. Highly recommended.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 2:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/6/13 16:30
Group:
Registered Users
I referenced this thread when we were having leaking (stemming from an ice dam) over the winter, so I wanted to share our experiences in working with S&S Roofing.

Based on the most recent recommendations, we contacted S&S?who came promptly the next day. While they couldn?t fix the immediate problem (this was when it was snowing constantly and temperatures were at record lows), they did shovel the roof and diagnose the problem. We were told to get in touch with them once the weather got nicer.

A few weeks (months?) later, we asked them to fix the previously discussed problem as well as address a recent issue with some (seemingly) minor leaking that resulted in a few water spots inside the house. S&S determined it was due to some improperly installed flashing and other normal roof issues. We had the work completed. We paid them. It turns out the ?fixes? prescribed by S&S did not resolve the problem, water was still leaking in, and a little more forcefully than during the previous rains. We contacted S&S again, and they felt that it was because we did not have part of his suggested work completed. Fair enough, we did not exactly follow his advice, and were paying the price. We asked him to do that additional work before the next rain. We weren?t able to schedule that work immediately, but he suggested a stopgap solution: place a tarp around the brickwork, and we would be able to weather the storm, so to speak.

Needless to say, things did not go according to plan. The next day, we had one of those crazy spring thunderstorms, which culminated in a major water explosion. Water was pouring out of the ceiling, through the heating/cooling vents, light fixtures and through the walls. The leaking continued through the building, ruining rooms on the fourth and third floors. We called S&S that night to let them know what was happening (we had been in touch with Seymond that day?we agreed to keep him updated on the status during the rainstorm). He didn?t answer our call and never returned our messages. To date, we never heard back. For all they know, the tarp is still there!

There were a number of red flags that I wish we had paid attention to?I was pregnant at the time and my due date was during this time period, and I admit we were not as on top of things as we could (should) have been. Things like?they were ALWAYS late. Like, HOURS late. Multiple calls following up LATE. One time, they committed to being at our house on a Tuesday and NEVER SHOWED UP or called with an explanation. We constantly were following up with them, chasing them down. It was frustrating. Additionally, the quote provided was verbal and we had to press him to get a written one?my husband eventually wrote it up.

The only time they were prompt was when it came time to pick up a check.

Before we had the communication/completion issues, we found Seymond to be nice and knowledgeable. The solution (which was identified by a different roofer) was difficult, but he was (likely) juggling too many jobs and maybe wasn?t the most qualified to deal with our immediate problem. At the end of the day, our job was probably much smaller compared to others, and he deprioritized our project, and eventually stopped returning our calls, but not before several thousand dollars of damage to the building occurred. While S&S might generally be a good roofer, he was clearly not the right fit for our project.

We eventually used Mark Nejmeh of Jersey City Roof Repair / Real Roofers and the differences between the two were night and day. Mark was on top of things from the moment we started the process, communicated at early hours during an emergency and was committed to completing the job in a QUALITY fashion.

Posted on: 2014/6/13 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Chris. Your comments are encouraging. The contractor who went out this morning said he doesn't think I actually need a new roof. It will be interesting to see what the folks at Capital have to say.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 15:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I had my old roof torn off and a new one put on in September 2011 by Capitol. I got a white PVC reflective roof and they fixed an improperly done skylight + removed old chimney and rebuilt new one (from roofline up - not relining). I believe it was $9600 + permits. There was a per square foot charge to remove rotted wood but they waived this as there was not too much and I was not there to verify.

Of the 3 roofers that I met they inspired the most confidence and did a great job. I had a home inspection this week and inspector noted the roof/chimney are in great shape.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 13:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Also, the longer warranties don't inspire me much. What good is a ten year warranty if these guys aren't in business at that time.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 11:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you. I'm meeting with the folks from Capital today.

I'm gathering three quotes and three references from each contractor.

S&S walked me to a neighbor's house where he did the work and rang the door bell. It was the middle of the day and the neighbor wasn't home. Still S&S hasn't provided me with the names and numbers of references. I won't retain anyone without references.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 11:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

diamat wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:

Is this the Capital Roofing you all refer to.

http://capitolroofingco.com/

That's the one.

We used Capital and are very happy. Our roof was substantially cheaper per sq ft than the quote you got even though it was a 'tear off' (all old layers removed) but it did not involve replacing roofing deck (ply wood) / beams.

Price depends in the roofing material and guarantee though. Some roofs have 10 year warranty and others 25 years, so ensure to compare apples to apples.

Two tips:
a) have the roof painted with silver roofing color when you put down the roof to increase comfort and reduce A/C cost. Under circumstances a cheap add-on.
b) in the quote, specify the cost per sq ft should they need to replace any part of the underlying roofing deck That way you both know the parameters / cost for any additional work.

I wonder how they make prices... Capital came in higher when I priced. I guess luck of the draw. Either way both are known to do real good work. Just make sure they rip off all the old stuff. Otherwise you will continue to have problems.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 2:20
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/1/30 20:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:

That's the one.

We used Capital and are very happy. Our roof was substantially cheaper per sq ft than the quote you got even though it was a 'tear off' (all old layers removed) but it did not involve replacing roofing deck (ply wood) / beams.

Price depends in the roofing material and guarantee though. Some roofs have 10 year warranty and others 25 years, so ensure to compare apples to apples.

Two tips:
a) have the roof painted with silver roofing color when you put down the roof to increase comfort and reduce A/C cost. Under circumstances a cheap add-on.
b) in the quote, specify the cost per sq ft should they need to replace any part of the underlying roofing deck That way you both know the parameters / cost for any additional work.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
S&S just quoted me $12k for a new roof for my brownstone. I feel that's a little high. I don't have a skylight or anything like that. The roof is approximately 600 sq ft

I have used S&S... and replaced the roof 2.5 years ago so due to inflation, it could cost a bit more. It cost between 11-12.5k The would was completely removed and replace... my roof was about 800 square feet although the apartments are about 670 square feet... if your apartment is 600 square feet, your roof square footage will be around 850 square feet.

S&S did a real good job. See my web review below... Feel free to ask any questions.

Posted on: 2014/5/1 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
S&S just quoted me $12k for a new roof for my brownstone. I feel that's a little high. I don't have a skylight or anything like that. The roof is approximately 600 sq ft

What does $12k include? How many layers of roof are on there now? I think by code maximum of 3 layers is allowed, but I think better to tear it down to the wood. Do you know the price to replace rotted wood covering - the beams or the beams if needed?

When they tear off a roof there can be big surprises!

Posted on: 2014/4/30 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/4/30 17:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/4/30 17:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/4/7 13:04

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/28 21:45
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Christine: thank you so much for the personal recommendation, we are going to call them as well as Capitol and Simpson Bros. (already had S&S out there this weekend). They were really busy at the time the initial inspection/cost estimates were made and we only asked about the skylights, but I still wish they had been like "oh, you might need a whole new roof!" But who knows? Maybe they did tell the seller/our RE agents but it was never communicated over since everyone knew that our decision to buy the house was contingent on the roofing estimate. And maybe this awful last winter had something to do with the damage accelerating in an already not-optimal situation.

Like you, we now know that we have been completely screwed over on the roof but nothing can be done but to fix it and move on. At this point all I want is an honest roofing company that will do a good job so we're not looking at constantly calling up to honor the guarantee.

I'll come back and update on who we picked and the price so people know cost estimates for this type of job. I have Angie's List, but could not find ANY of the local contractors mentioned here on there so this thread has been a lifesaver.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
For your do-it-yourselfers.......

http://spec-chem.com/

I have been using their products for years. Their roof system is pricey to put down (and takes some skill). Once you get it down, maintenance is easy. their products are all water based. Just roll down (with paint rollers) a new white reflective coat every 3 to 5 years.

The white reflective product works so well I can walk on the roof deck barefoot in 90 degree weather (full sun).

Posted on: 2014/4/6 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
To Malorytowers:

All City Roofing truly stands behind their work. I know this firsthand. These guys are skilled as well as reliable. If you have an issue, you will get an immediate response. They take pride in their work and honor their guarantee without question.

We were in a desperate situation due to an unscrupulous contractor who charged us for a roof job that he didn't provide. The result was that our inside property was being damaged by leaks and mold. All City replaced the roof in inclement weather so that we didn't incur additional damages.

They use superior materials (above home depot standard) and they provide an extensive contract that spells out what they will do.

Best of luck to you...I know how frustrating and costly a faulty roof can be.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 20:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/28 21:45
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Bumping because our roof situation has come to a head. When we bought the house we were told that the skylights (all 6 on 2nd floor) were improperly flashed and the repair cost would be between $5500 to $6000 (All City Roofing).

I got S&S up there today and he told us that our whole roof is messed up, was probably improperly installed with the recent winter adding significant damage. Seymond quoted the cost of replacing the skylights + roof at 15K. The leak in our bedroom has already created a hole, we went and looked at the other rooms today and it looks like there is more water damage.

At this point we know we are in for a 10K to 20K replacement. My concern is quality of work and the strength of the guarantee-the home is only 9 years old and we're replacing a roof! Has anyone else done a whole roof replacement/fix and have a preferred contractor who hasn't played games on the guarantee? We have the additional workmanship issue related to skylights-they're in every room on the top floor.

I've read through this whole thread and I've narrowed my search down to Capitol, S&S (Seymond) and Simpson General Contractors. My husband wants to go back to All City Roofing as well but I'm concerned that they didn't tell us the roof was in as bad shape as it was when the initial post-inspection estimate was done.

Posted on: 2014/4/6 16:47

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
It was a couple of years ago, and my house is roughly 800 and something sq ft. The cost was about $ 2,500.00 for the house.
Also it depends on how much tear down and repair they have to do.
The price was about in the middle of all the estimates I had.
Anyway, I'm very satisfied Capitol Roofing.

Posted on: 2013/12/13 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/14 15:34
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Out of curiosity, how much does a flat roof rubberized roof, call it around 1500 Sq feet cost to replace? Just ballpark it for me if you wouldn't mind, I have no frame of reference and feel like it is something i'll have to get into in a few years.

Posted on: 2013/12/12 21:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 13:51
Group:
Registered Users
Capitol Roofing. I had two flat roofs rubberized . Garage and House.

Posted on: 2013/12/12 20:09

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/20 2:21
From Jersey city, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
This is Mark Nejmeh 732-995-3914 www.realroofers.com. I do remember this woman. She insisted that the job was already given to another contractor when I showed up even though the owner called me.

Then she starts to tell me where the leak is. I have only been doing this for 35 years professionally, I know how to find a lea

As far as being late I admit that it was a Sunday and I had some things to do with my kids. I am not perfect. The truth behind this matter is that I found it odd that a person would have the fire department come for a roof leak. Secondly the woman was just nasty . Also please note we do not give prices to tenants , we only give prices to the owners of the property.

People with agendas you cannot win.

Thanks JC list for letting me have my say on this matter.

Posted on: 2013/11/26 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Do you have a flat roof or a pitched roof and what kind of material is on it?

Posted on: 2013/5/17 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
I just redid my roof the day AFTER the election, didn't cost much at all.
I used a bunch of them Fulop & Healy signs since they are free & available everywhere!
They are very lightweight & waterproof.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
S&S is the best in my opinion. He redid my roof, with a 10 year guarantee and was the cheapest of the bunch. Here is my web review.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile ... _city_nj/s_s_roofing.html

Joe

Posted on: 2013/5/16 13:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/1 13:36
Group:
Registered Users
We just got a leak and have had some folks come out to quote - so far I can only say who I would never recommend and that's Mark Nejmeh at Real Roofers. He showed up 90 minutes late with no call - and no apology. Took a 3 second look and declared it was the pipe. I told him I'd had another roofer and the fire department over (the leak caused all my alarms to go off) and they both thought it was from another location and what did he think. Suffice it to say he insulted me, implied everyone else was an idiot and refused to give me a quote (I'm the tenant, not the homeowner) and said he would speak only to the homeowner. I called the homeowner after (who are my good friends) and while his price is lower you apparently pay extra for warranty, aka he doesn't guarantee his work. The calls not mine since I don't own the place but I can certainly say I wouldn't recommend him...

Posted on: 2013/5/12 23:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
+1 for Capitol. Had the same problem of a small leak (tree fell) he inspected the roof and instructed me on how to fix it myself (it was easy).

Posted on: 2013/5/9 22:16

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017