Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
71 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 71

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Re: Do you recommend particular Roofer?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tern wrote:
Calling Brewster, MDM, and any other Jclist home improvement experts! Any tips for locating leaks on an asphalt roof?

I have a small leak coming through the ceiling of the unit two floors below the roof, i.e. there is no visible leak or dampness in the ceiling or walls of the apartment directly under the roof, instead the leak is coming through the ceiling of the apartment second from the top floor.

It only leaks when it rains hard, and usually with a 12+ hour delay, so if it rains hard tonight, tomorrow evening it will leak for a while through the roof of the ground floor unit. The leak isn't a huge amount, just enough to make the ceiling damp in that area.

I have opened up the ceiling where the leak is visible, and can see it dripping between floorboards from above. I can only think it is coming down inside the wall from roof and then running along floorboards and dripping down.

Initially I suspected a leak in the siding or from around the windows in the floor above, but I have checked those thoroughly, and sealed any gaps where water could possibly get in around windows.

The roof looks ok overall, so I am at a loss to know what to do. There is a chimney on that side of the roof, so going to double check the roof tar around that.

Cheers,
Robin.

Tough one, odds are it's at the periphery of the roofing somewhere, like the flashing around chimneys, parapets, and vents. I had flashing cracking and leaking 3 years after a complete roof replacement. Well done boys!

Posted on: 2019/2/12 1:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Calling Brewster, MDM, and any other Jclist home improvement experts! Any tips for locating leaks on an asphalt roof?

I have a small leak coming through the ceiling of the unit two floors below the roof, i.e. there is no visible leak or dampness in the ceiling or walls of the apartment directly under the roof, instead the leak is coming through the ceiling of the apartment second from the top floor.

It only leaks when it rains hard, and usually with a 12+ hour delay, so if it rains hard tonight, tomorrow evening it will leak for a while through the roof of the ground floor unit. The leak isn't a huge amount, just enough to make the ceiling damp in that area.

I have opened up the ceiling where the leak is visible, and can see it dripping between floorboards from above. I can only think it is coming down inside the wall from roof and then running along floorboards and dripping down.

Initially I suspected a leak in the siding or from around the windows in the floor above, but I have checked those thoroughly, and sealed any gaps where water could possibly get in around windows.

The roof looks ok overall, so I am at a loss to know what to do. There is a chimney on that side of the roof, so going to double check the roof tar around that.

Cheers,
Robin.

Posted on: 2019/2/12 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
Does anyone know whether covering the entire surface existing planking deck with plywood is standard practice before applying the base sheet ?

Mine, not that I know this is best at all, nailed down that "homasote" insulation board over the existing planks.

This is the year! I'm getting my Downtown roof done when it warms! Procrastination is OVER! (I think)

Posted on: 2019/1/19 23:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
stay away from Imperial Roofing.

You got that right!

Capital's price on PVC seemed great considering the warranty, till another roofer pointed out that the parapets were crumbling and the mortar was gone! They were going to wrap the crumbling masonry in PVC and walk away making it a hidden time bomb. Not good.

Another roofer on another roof ignored that the timber on the roof edge was rotted away where water had pooled. After the roof was done I noticed the siding shingles buckling from the whole roof sagging! I had to tear down the ceiling under it to get at it to shore up the roof.

Lastly, not roofing, I discovered that 2 bathrooms I had build had no waterproofing membrane on the cement board under the tile, considered mandatory today by tile professionals. I discovered this when I had to rip out a windowsill in the shower that they had failed to pitch so the water would run off rather than pool and leak through.

Lesson is most contractors are happy to leave you with a time bomb if they can argue it wasn't in their scope of work or you didn't ask for it specifically. I've learned my lesson, I'm going to hover over the next contractor I hire and make sure it's done right. I have no idea what people with less skills, knowledge & free time can do. Sorry for the rant, I'm disgusted.

definitely the best practice if you can spare the time and somewhat competent enough to understand what is going on - I feel bad for the token person that hires contractors to do work and have absolutely no idea about the right way to do things. As far as hovering over the contractor I definitely generally agree in being as present and observant as possible while they are working as long as you dont get in their way and piss them off.

in deciding between bitumen and PVC, the contractor i used said they have lots of jobs repairing PVC because when applying the air pressure to seal it to the decking, it's not overly apparent that they are covering all the surface compared to torch down which creates issues.

Does anyone know whether covering the entire surface existing planking deck with plywood is standard practice before applying the base sheet ?

Posted on: 2019/1/19 19:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
stay away from Imperial Roofing.

You got that right!

Capital's price on PVC seemed great considering the warranty, till another roofer pointed out that the parapets were crumbling and the mortar was gone! They were going to wrap the crumbling masonry in PVC and walk away making it a hidden time bomb. Not good.

Another roofer on another roof ignored that the timber on the roof edge was rotted away where water had pooled. After the roof was done I noticed the siding shingles buckling from the whole roof sagging! I had to tear down the ceiling under it to get at it to shore up the roof.

Lastly, not roofing, I discovered that 2 bathrooms I had build had no waterproofing membrane on the cement board under the tile, considered mandatory today by tile professionals. I discovered this when I had to rip out a windowsill in the shower that they had failed to pitch so the water would run off rather than pool and leak through.

Lesson is most contractors are happy to leave you with a time bomb if they can argue it wasn't in their scope of work or you didn't ask for it specifically. I've learned my lesson, I'm going to hover over the next contractor I hire and make sure it's done right. I have no idea what people with less skills, knowledge & free time can do. Sorry for the rant, I'm disgusted.

Posted on: 2018/8/7 2:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/5 18:14
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
I've used four roofers over the years for different sized jobs. All for standard DTJC flat roofs.

Three of the four were "guys" who do roofing. One of them did a good job - complete substrate + EPDM redo ~15 years ago. The others caused more problems than they solved. All are also completely unreachable now.

The last roofer I used was Capitol. Complete redo using PVC. Several months in, tons of heavy rain, no problems at all. If I ever need to do roofing work again, they'll be my go-to.

One note: the quality of their work is no secret in this area. For non-emergency jobs, assume an eight week wait once you've made your deposit.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2018/8/6 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
go for Capitol or Roof4Roof - stay away from Imperial Roofing.

Posted on: 2018/8/6 2:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
just curious? is there a reason why people don't seem to use metal or plastic/pvc roofing? are they a lot more expensive?

PVC was a lot more expensive than bitumen. After putting a white coating on the bitumen, I didn't see an advantage using PVC.

If I ever do new construction with a pitched roof, I plan to look at kynar coated steel. I have seen them used where houses get exposed to some pretty brutal winds, ice, hail, etc....

Capitol gave me a 25 year warranty for PVC vs. 10 years for bitumen. The cost difference was small enough to justify PVC.

Posted on: 2018/8/3 0:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
just curious? is there a reason why people don't seem to use metal or plastic/pvc roofing? are they a lot more expensive?

PVC was a lot more expensive than bitumen. After putting a white coating on the bitumen, I didn't see an advantage using PVC.

If I ever do new construction with a pitched roof, I plan to look at kynar coated steel. I have seen them used where houses get exposed to some pretty brutal winds, ice, hail, etc....

Posted on: 2018/8/2 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Metal roofing as used in Florida?
sure is durable and think was introduced to thwart the ghastly storms they deal with but seems not done anywhere in the North although I've seen some industrial type warehouses and outdoor sheds with it.

PVC is also more of an industrial application and for a homeowner you're limited on who can make repairs to it as not many roofers use this system.

Posted on: 2018/8/2 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/8/1 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
s and s... but don't nickle and dime when it comes to roofs. make them rip everything off and place three quarter ply wood. before the ouer layer.

Posted on: 2018/7/29 18:36
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Suggestion for roofer
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/10/6 17:57
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone recommend a roofer? Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2018/7/29 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/21 3:42
From Hilltop
Group:
Registered Users
I just used Imperial Roofing to redo our roofs. This is the only time I ever had a roof done so limited experience. I think they did great. They showed up when planned, completed on time, kept everything clean, and we have no leaks. Mike was easy to get a hold of when I had any questions. Good luck!

Does anyone know an architect that has experience with roof decks?

Posted on: 2016/12/15 2:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/5 1:44
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Senior William Hortado is shilling for his own company. Registered using his real name.

Posted on: 2016/12/14 3:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Do you suppose these shills really think we're that stupid to take the "personal recommendation" of a 1st time poster, or are they idiots who just discovered the internet and think this ridiculous crap works?

Posted on: 2016/12/14 0:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/13 22:50
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Everyone,

I can personally recommend " RSB Construction LLC "
http://www.rsbgeneralconstruction.com/

They happen to live right in front of me for the past 15 years, But i KID you not. These Guys are Proffesionals and can handle any job size.

I used them twice already. One time for personal emergencies at home & most recently had my small commercial place redone. They painted, installed new shelves, got rid of all the old furniture, completely renovated my place from the inside....

Prices were cheap, they did come out to me and give me an onsite estimate which was a bonus cause everyone else i called wanted a deposit over the phone ???

Keep in mind, i requested Newark Roofing Contractors & Rsb Construction showed up. They drove from Elizabeth and gave me my free estimate which i gladly accepted...

check them out....

they come to you everywhere in New jersey from what they told me... i personally had them service me in Elizabeth, new jersey & Newark, New Jersey...

Posted on: 2016/12/13 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
MDM, sent you a PM

Posted on: 2016/11/10 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
OMG is this thread depressing, especially combined with the other threads with more recent inputs. There isn't a single roofer recommended by more than one person with only a few posts who hasn't pissed off another customer.

So far my takeaway is either Capital or S&S. They've pissed off some people, but seem to come through more often than not.

Posted on: 2016/10/27 6:07

Re: Roofer Recommendations
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Cleo wrote:
Capital Roofing
449 Central Avenue
Orange, NJ
(201) 659-3567

They just did our roof and installed two custom skylights. Prompt, courteous, professional and they have done roofing jobs in DTJC for years.

It's Capitol not Capital, the same company that the thread starter had problems with. Let's hope you don't suffer the same fate.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 20:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/16 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Capital Roofing
449 Central Avenue
Orange, NJ
(201) 659-3567

They just did our roof and installed two custom skylights. Prompt, courteous, professional and they have done roofing jobs in DTJC for years.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 18:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/23 17:57
From Jersey City - Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
We just used Roof4Roof. Excellent work, great pricing. And they use a portion of all proceeds toward new roofs for deserving families.

Posted on: 2015/10/30 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Home Depot the prices and service is pretty amazing. 5k for a brand new roof for an old colonial home.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/25 7:33
Group:
Registered Users
All City Roofing.

Professional, reasonably-priced, reliable and friendly.

Did a great job for us!

Posted on: 2015/10/29 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately they're no longer in business. But thank you again.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 16:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you very much. This is been very stressful.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
It's been a few years, but I think this is it:

Reliable Roofing Co
600 E 18th St Paterson , NJ 07501 (973) 684-7406

Visit: reliableroof.org

Posted on: 2015/10/29 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you. Do you remember where they're out of? I will google them.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
I used a firm called Reliable Roofing twice on two different buildings for complete tearoffs and new rubber roofing with closed-cell foam insulation underneath. Price was lower than most others and work was perfect. No leaks, no hassles. Don't have contact info handy but you'll find them-

Posted on: 2015/10/29 15:52

Roofer Recommendations
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
About a year ago I had capitol roofing replace my roof. Since then it's leaked quite a bit. They've made several visits back to my house with no results and no real suggestions or ideas.

I think I need to have another roofer look at the roof.

I will not use S&S. The came to check out my roof when I was first looking and they came across as incredibly incompetent.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/10/29 15:34

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017