Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
43 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 43

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Plumber?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/23 16:21
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All- We need to have a washer hook-up installed, currently no washing machine connection at all. Does anyone have a good plumber suggestion to do this? Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/4/4 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

griffin wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
[quote]
There's nothing about repairing or replacing anything in a sink or toilet that's beyond the average homeowner.

+1 agree from experience but you sound like you can do a lot more than I can!

I am handier than most, but I cringe when I think about what intimidated me 15 years ago when I first bought. A few time of watching the 3 stooges work in my home convinced me this wasn't rocket science. I've even gotten useful tips from watching This Old House. A sink drain pipe corroded and broke off completely right at the wall. Just like I saw on TV when Richard had a pipe frozen in a radiator, I took a hacksaw blade and cut the stub inside the T, and pried out the chunks. Then all I had to do was thread in a new adapter. Not rocket science, just a craft that anyone can learn. It doesn't mean I can design a whole house drain and vent system, but that's not what's on the agenda.

BTW, re that course on cutting cast iron pipe, in my experience the plumbers will do ANYTHING to avoid having to do that! I had one run 2" PVC 2 floors to the basement and then to another stack 20 feet away rather than crack into the 4" cast iron right there.

Posted on: 2013/2/16 3:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/8 19:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
In my experience most people don't realize that plumbing is a very difficult trade that requires years of experience and a NJ Master plumber's license that needs to be bonded every few years.. Watching a you tube video will not help anyone come close to what a license plumber knows.
Plumbing is labor intensive and requires great skill to diagnose a problem. Too expensive is a common phrase without knowledge to back what exactly is the right price.

A high quality plumber is not cheap. Just as when you go to a doctor you do not question his expertise and the cost to see him. Just like a pair of Prada shoes are not Payless shoes.

Plumbing is a life safety industry. My old man is a master plumber and I have great respect for the trade. He is right up there with Doctors, lawyers, basketball players, stock brokers, Now those people are overpaid plenty!

What a grand oversimplification. Yes, there's knowledge that master plumbers and electricians posses that is quite arcane, but the fact is most of that pertains to system design, and much of what gets them called to a home for repair is not rocket science.

Not only that, but the plumber scene in Moonstruck is very close to the mark for in many cases. A Master Plumber in clean clothes and loafers comes and prices the job, and then sends his assistants Moe, Larry and Curly to actually do it. They may know something about plumbing, or not. I had a boiler done a few years ago, and watched the assistant bleed the air out of the bladder on the expansion tank, which is factory preset with the right pressure. When I questioned why, he insisted he "needed to get the air out so the water could get in". He was 100% wrong, as was much of the work he did, particularly on the vent which had to be completely redone.

There's nothing about repairing or replacing anything in a sink or toilet that's beyond the average homeowner. And if it's an older toilet, better to replace it. It's easily done and a terrific performing low flow Cadet 3 is ~$140 at HD. Shower/baths are trickier, but if it's just cartridges or washers it's easy.

+1 agree from experience but you sound like you can do a lot more than I can!

Posted on: 2013/2/15 21:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
@Griffin: where did you take the plumbing classes? Is that one class, or multiple?

Sounds like a good idea - like you said, I may not do the job myself after the classes, but it's a good idea at least to know what's going on...

Hi,

I took it at Hudson Technical:
http://www.hcstonline.org/portal/Info ... the-Plumbing-Academy.aspx

The course is $600 bucks but I don't know if I would take it again. I didn't learn as much as I had hoped and they concentrate a lot on manual labor that I would probably never mess with (like cutting cast iron pipes for 2-3 classes).

It was an entire semester (3hr classes twice a week) - so you still learn here and there, but it BARELY made the $600 worth it. I've learned a lot more by youtubing to be honest (after the class so I knew what to really google for...). A lot of the classmates already knew the material and just wanted the hours for their certification and licensing purposes. There is Plumbing I and II, the teacher in Plumbing I is the same as II, so he holds back a lot of information in hopes of people signing up for II (which is another 600 bucks or something).

But after all that, I definitely know a lot more now than before and have the capability of rolling my eyes at some quotes that comes in.

Then again, while this class is barely recommended, if I had taken this class 2 years ago for 600 bucks - it would have definitely saved me at least 3000 of ripped off dollars. Just depends on how much you know already.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 21:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:
In my experience most people don't realize that plumbing is a very difficult trade that requires years of experience and a NJ Master plumber's license that needs to be bonded every few years.. Watching a you tube video will not help anyone come close to what a license plumber knows.
Plumbing is labor intensive and requires great skill to diagnose a problem. Too expensive is a common phrase without knowledge to back what exactly is the right price.

A high quality plumber is not cheap. Just as when you go to a doctor you do not question his expertise and the cost to see him. Just like a pair of Prada shoes are not Payless shoes.

Plumbing is a life safety industry. My old man is a master plumber and I have great respect for the trade. He is right up there with Doctors, lawyers, basketball players, stock brokers, Now those people are overpaid plenty!

What a grand oversimplification. Yes, there's knowledge that master plumbers and electricians posses that is quite arcane, but the fact is most of that pertains to system design, and much of what gets them called to a home for repair is not rocket science.

Not only that, but the plumber scene in Moonstruck is very close to the mark for in many cases. A Master Plumber in clean clothes and loafers comes and prices the job, and then sends his assistants Moe, Larry and Curly to actually do it. They may know something about plumbing, or not. I had a boiler done a few years ago, and watched the assistant bleed the air out of the bladder on the expansion tank, which is factory preset with the right pressure. When I questioned why, he insisted he "needed to get the air out so the water could get in". He was 100% wrong, as was much of the work he did, particularly on the vent which had to be completely redone.

There's nothing about repairing or replacing anything in a sink or toilet that's beyond the average homeowner. And if it's an older toilet, better to replace it. It's easily done and a terrific performing low flow Cadet 3 is ~$140 at HD. Shower/baths are trickier, but if it's just cartridges or washers it's easy.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
@Griffin: where did you take the plumbing classes? Is that one class, or multiple?

Sounds like a good idea - like you said, I may not do the job myself after the classes, but it's a good idea at least to know what's going on...

Posted on: 2013/2/15 18:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lafayette wrote:

I'm still not saying that people should do it themselves. All I'm saying is that studying up on it will get you not as ripped off. At least if they have an idea of what's broken and what's not, they won't be oversold anything. In fact, in my plumbing class - there were at least 1 or 2 classes on "how to overcharge customers" - while not named that, all that the instructor did was to talk about how to make a job look more difficult than it is and how to take longer to fix. I'm not saying all plumbers are like that, and I'm sure it takes skill to fix things. ie. Replacing a P-trap really shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks, and most plumbers will charge a LOT more for it.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/10 11:55
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/2/15 17:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I've used both Hutch and Kook&Son.

So here is my review for both.
Kook & Sons - big job, replace lead main, whole house filter, etc, fix leak in bathroom. They did a great job replacing the lead main - big project jobs. But I found them to be extremely overpriced in hindsight. But it was truly headache free, they dealt with the city, permits, showed up on the right date, and I didn't have to lift a finger. (But even considering that, they were way overpriced). But good workmanship I have to stress. HOWEVER, the bathroom leak (a small leak due to the drain caulking being bad) took FOREVER and several tries and denials and overselling for them to get it right. They initially said it was the drain pipe, and charged me for it, it still leaked, came back to "fix" about 5 times - until I had to climb up to the ceiling myself to photograph the exact leak. (The leak was so bad that it would intermittently "rain" on my 1st floor ceiling). They said they checked the drain caulking and filled it up to the top when they didn't. and after all the headache, someone from his team finally saw that it was in fact the caulking that was causing the issues. The pipe would need replacing anyway - but my god, I was stunned that no one seemed to be able to fix a leak after 5 visits but could do a large project so well and seamlessly at that. To their credit, they came back each time, until the it was fixed for sure. (But they still charged for the wrong diagnosis and replacing the entire waste pipe system). But if you use them, be aware of the price & overselling. You should study up and know a rough idea of the problem before you call. It would save you thousands.

Hutch - nice guy, quick response, trustworthy, shows up on time, professional. A little bit of oversell/salesman. He came for a drain replacement in the kitchen (apparently all my drains are crapping out), and somehow talked me into much much more. He does the job and even is reasonable in the price (a little bit high still). But boy, is he smoooooth.

Anyway, I know it's easy to hire folks, but from these experiences, I started watching YouTube videos and took a plumbing class on the side. (So that even if I couldn't do the job myself, I'd know what needed to be done and how - and at least be able to have an idea if they try to rip me off). Now looking back on how much I paid previously, I kick myself - but a lesson well learned.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 14:52

Re: Plumber for toilet leak
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 2:32
Group:
Registered Users
I highly recommend Byron " hutch" too, he is very knowledgeable, dependable, honest and a very kind person.

Posted on: 2013/2/13 19:41

Plumber Recommendation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks to all who gave me roofer recommendations. We are now having to look at the plumbing of the building. The water issues just seem to be getting larger and worse.

Any recommendations for a good plumber would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 20:38

Re: Can anyone recommend a good kitchen Plumber?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/19 14:39
Group:
Registered Users
Thank you neighbor.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 14:46

Re: Can anyone recommend a good kitchen Plumber?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Sure! Charles Mello. Older gentleman, works by himself, very reasonable by plumber's standards. He does a lot of work for many people I know around the VVP area.

Quick link:
http://www.manta.com/c/mmg57mc/charles-mello-plumbing-heating

Posted on: 2012/8/21 16:53

Can anyone recommend a good kitchen Plumber?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/19 14:39
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone recommend a low-overhead reasonably priced plumber to hookup a new sink, dishwasher and icemaker? I had good luck with an electrician recommended on this site.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 15:53

Bryon Hutchinson - 201.888.4752

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/26 9:08
Group:
Registered Users
I was moving in on a Monday. The Saturday before I found out my water heater didn't work. The guy who was doing my floors gave me Bryon's number. Not only did he come out on Sunday to try assess the situation and try to fix it "the easy way" he was back on Monday to replace it with a better quality heater than is otherwise in use in the building. He came back Tuesday to check on the water pressure.

He speaks to you in plain terms so that you can understand what is being done and what your options are. And he REALLY means it when he says 7 days a week. Great guy, highly recommended.

Bryon Hutchinson
Hutchinson Mechanical

Posted on: 2012/4/29 13:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/3 23:20
Group:
Registered Users
sounds like the flapper, and you may need a new handle mechanism...they loosen up/bend over time. mine took about 15 minutes to fix. my dad recently re-did his with buttons instead of handles and it completely stopped the running problems.

Posted on: 2012/4/8 7:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Easy fix...change the flapper and clean the part it seats on.
If or when u do that and its all fixed, u owe me a 6 pack :)

Posted on: 2012/4/8 3:43

Plumber for toilet leak
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Our toilet appears to be leaking water (from the tank into the bowl, continuously). Can anyone recommend a reliable plumber for repairs?

Also, what is the fair market price for such a repair?

TIA.

Posted on: 2012/4/8 2:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/15 18:36
Group:
Registered Users
We just used Byron Hutchinson also and I was very happy with the work he did. He came the same day and fixed the problem in a little over an hour (had to remove the toilet to get a toy out). His price was very reasonable, cleaned up after he was done and explained all the work and charges before actually doing the work. He was friendly and personable - would use him again and recommend to others.

Hutch Mechanical
201-888-4752

Posted on: 2012/4/2 20:33

Re: Plumber recommendations? Need second opinions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CapnJon wrote:
Hi Folks,
We're looking for a few more quotes of plumbing work being done in our basement - a new sewer line needs to be run (involves removing some concrete), and a new poop trap needs to be put in....
Any recommendations of honest and good plumbers

Gamarello Plumbing & Heating
162 Central Ave, Jersey City, NJ 07307
(201) 653-6702
I've used them to replace the wax ring and flange underneath where the bowl sits, a hot water tank, and a tub snake. No regrets and priced accordingly.

Posted on: 2012/3/9 16:23
Get on your bikes and ride !

Plumber recommendations? Need second opinions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Folks,

We're looking for a few more quotes of plumbing work being done in our basement - a new sewer line needs to be run (involves removing some concrete), and a new poop trap needs to be put in....

Any recommendations of honest and good plumbers?

Posted on: 2012/3/9 15:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/24 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
I have to give a recommendation (2nding Greenville Chick's rec) for Byron Hutchinson.

We had a frozen pipe this week and he came out the same day. He was professional, honest, inexpensive and just an overall nice guy.

I highly recommend calling him!
201-888-4752

Posted on: 2011/1/27 21:38

Re: Plumber needed
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/25 0:21
Group:
Registered Users
You are a decent person to call him back. I honestly wouldn't have. We live in capitalist country. ClearFlow was available and gave you a good solution/price. ClearFlow is a good plumber - redid my plumbing in my bathroom.

Please blacklist me!

Posted on: 2010/11/5 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry to hear about that. Based on your story it looks as if this plumber is confusing "deadbeats" with "consumers getting competitive pricing". You might call the association to clarify the definition and get the plumber on notice if untrue.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 0:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/28 20:57
Group:
Registered Users
Carmine Aumenta threatened to put me on the local plumber?s association?s ?blacklist? for deadbeat residents/(i.e. customers).

Here?s the story. Our heating system was not working properly so I called a plumber to come and give an estimate on fixing the problem. The estimate was more than I was expecting, and so I called other plumbers for alternate estimates. I first called Aumenta Plumbing and Heating, and he said that someone would be available to come by and look at the problem that same day but he couldn?t give me a specific time when. I then asked him to call me before the plumber was to arrive, to which he agreed.

Not knowing when Aumenta?s plumber would arrive, and also seeking a third estimate, I called Clearflow plumbers, who also said that someone would also be able to come by during the day and they would call before they arrived. Ultimately, Clearflow?s plumbers arrived within an hour and proposed a simpler solution after seeing the problem, and I agreed to have the work done on the spot. They completed the work within 30 minutes of arriving, and I was happy.

One hour later, my door buzzes and it is Aumenta?s plumber. I told him that I had asked for a call before they were coming, and if they had called I would have told them not to come. I thanked them for coming, and told him that the work was already completed by someone else and so I didn?t need their services. The plumbers left without any comment.

About an hour later, Carmine Aumenta (the owner of the business) calls our home. I am out of the house now so my wife picks up and Carmine is upset and tells her that _we_ should have called _him_ when the work was done by the other plumber. He said that he would be sending a bill for having his plumbers come to our house. My wife replied that we asked for them to call us before the plumber was sent, which they did not do. Carmine asked for me to call him when I returned. When I called him back, I again explained that we asked for and expected a call before the plumber was sent. He didn?t respond to this, but instead re-iterated that we should have called him. He said that I should have told him that we asked other plumbers to see our problem, and if he knew that we were calling multiple plumbers for estimates then he would have never sent his guys. He then said that he would be putting me on the local plumber association?s ?blacklist? for deadbeats.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 19:50

Plumber for odd jobs - replacing sink, minor shower repairs

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/18 9:55
Group:
Registered Users
I was wondering if anyone had used or knew of any good reasonably priced plumbers for some odds jobs around the house - like replacing a broken sink, repairing a shower, etc.

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/10/14 14:06

Re: anyone know a great plumber for hamilton park area?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
For what it's worth...
We used Kook before and they did a good job.

Tried to use them again on Saturday for a leaky toilet and they told us early Saturday morning that they would send someone out that day. 5 hours later they called to say they could not come. They did try to re-schedule for this morning but it could not wait.

Ended up calling Clear Flow and they had someone over in an hour and did a good job.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Gabe Ambrozia (201-332-4611)

I've used them recently. I had a leak from a bathroom to the floor below. They were great because they gave me two options to resolve the issue and actually recommended the much cheaper ($100) rather than that would have been $600.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 14:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/9 14:35
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I've used Kook a few times recently: to disconnect an old sump pump, to fix a toilet that didn't flush properly, and to clean out a drain. I'd second the recommendation. Kook was easy to get in touch with, and the plumber showed up on time and did good work.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 13:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/3 0:01
Group:
Registered Users
We've used Kook and Sons for over 5 years - responsive and reliable, they stand by their work.

Posted on: 2010/9/27 11:57

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017