Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
145 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: School District Map?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
As far as a map, it must be a big secret at BOE headquarters. Basically, you call the BOE, give them your address and they will tell you which school district you are in.

As ALB describes, you can transfer to other schools if there is a space available, however, it is a big mystery on how they fill the extra seats, no criteria, no lottery.

You are likely in the district for Cordero, PS 37 school, which is one of the higher ranked public primary schools. The principal is well known as a strict disciplinarian (which may be necessary).

Most of the charter schools have struggled with the exception of Learning Community Charter School located on Grand and Grove at the Boys and Girls Club not far from Harsimus Cove, admission is by lottery.

Having just gone through this process with our son entering Kindergarten this fall, please feel free to contact me directly (PM) and I would be happy to discuss our experience further.

Another good source for information about your neighborhood is the Harsimus Cove Association which meets the third Wednesday of each month, see www.harsimuscove.org

Quote:

adampsyche wrote:
I'm a current resident of Harsimus Cove area, and really like my neighborhood. My son has been staying with my parents for a year now (messy divorce, was best at the time, etc.), and the goal here is to have him back with me for this upcoming school year.

I've been looking in Brooklyn, since there are some noteworth schools, but want to stay put if possible, because of all the little juicy advantages that we have (take that, hipsters!).

The problem that I've had, though, is figgering out what district an address is zoned for. So far, I've found that I'm zoned for a school that is farther away than two other schools, and I have not been able to find any kind of map to guide me (despite asking the Board of Ed, etc.).

Does anyone have a clue? I've heard that the Cordero school is good, does anyone else have experiences with elementary schools in the neighborhood?

Posted on: 2006/5/4 18:27

Re: School District Map?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/29 4:06
Group:
Banned
Quote:

adampsyche wrote:

The problem that I've had, though, is figgering out what district an address is zoned for. So far, I've found that I'm zoned for a school that is farther away than two other schools, and I have not been able to find any kind of map to guide me (despite asking the Board of Ed, etc.).

Someone told me that any school in the district that has empty seats has to accept applications from children outside its zone. My impression is that School 16/Bradford is the only regular public grade school that would be seriously overbooked, so it could be that you could get your son in other schools that you like.

My child isn't yet old enough to be in the public school system. My impression from trying to talk to parents and pupils affiliated with the public grade schools is that none of the schools is a high-rent genius factory; the Learning Community charter school is great; none of the other downtown charter schools gets much attention from yuppie/would-be yuppie parents; OLC is good if you're Catholic but is very Catholic; 16 is fine and has a good principal but is not all that exciting; 37/Cordero is attracting a fair number of yuppie kids but has no playground and no recess periods; and that 5/Conti and 3/Conwill are probably both OK but haven't yet attracted many yuppie children.

It also looks as if, starting in third grade, each elementary school has a gifted and talented program that, in reality, exists to make sure kids who are reasonably bright get the kind of education they'd get if they were at a mediocre public school in the suburbs.

It seems to me that the big problem would be if you had a bright kid who wasn't willing to work hard enough and politick hard enough to get into the gifted and talented program. But I think 16/Bradford and Learning Community would probably be OK for a kid like that.

Posted on: 2006/5/2 5:05

School District Map?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/3/4 22:07
From harsimus cove
Group:
Registered Users
I'm a current resident of Harsimus Cove area, and really like my neighborhood. My son has been staying with my parents for a year now (messy divorce, was best at the time, etc.), and the goal here is to have him back with me for this upcoming school year.

I've been looking in Brooklyn, since there are some noteworth schools, but want to stay put if possible, because of all the little juicy advantages that we have (take that, hipsters!).

Does anyone have a clue? I've heard that the Cordero school is good, does anyone else have experiences with elementary schools in the neighborhood?

Posted on: 2006/5/2 1:32

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017