Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...

Browsing this Thread:   3 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Re: JC Post Office - Be Very Afraid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
We need more cameras.

-------------------------------------

Postal Worker Caught On Video Allegedly Making Half-Hearted Attempt To Deliver Package

April 10, 2017 11:16 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) ? A postal worker was caught on surveillance video making an apparent half-hearted attempt to alert a Queens family about a package delivery.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/1 ... tempt-to-deliver-package/

Posted on: 2017/4/11 11:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone having the post office (Bergen Ave) not able to find your package when you pick it up? In the past, this used to happen all the time (even with registered mail). Then they got better.

Today, they can't find my package.. which I really wanted because it has fishing gear for a trip this weekend.

Posted on: 2016/7/28 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
anybody in downtown missing their mail?

a couple of deliveries that usually arrive like clockwork haven't these past 2 weeks (paychecks, plus a couple bills).

Posted on: 2015/6/10 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I've had two packages missing in the last 2 months, both were supposed to be delivered on sunday (according to tracking). The 1st lost package even has a comment that says "package was handed off to receptionist or someone at front desk". Well, I live in a small brownstone, and we don't have anyone at the "front".

Just want to see if anyone else are having lost packages with sunday deliveries as well?

I plan on making a trip to the post office tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful. Actually, I have zero hope. But I think this is the tipping point for me that I want to do something about it - but the sad part seems that there's not even much I can do?

About the only thing you can do is to have your packages delivered to your office or that of your spouse (if either one is employed somewhere outside the home) or use a staffed private delivery address. If you are using UPS, and you know you will not be around for a particular delivery, you can arrange to have your packages held at the local sorting location and you can pick it up in person. Not efficient or convenient, but it probably beats the hassle or making claims and all that.

Posted on: 2015/6/3 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I've had two packages missing in the last 2 months, both were supposed to be delivered on sunday (according to tracking). The 1st lost package even has a comment that says "package was handed off to receptionist or someone at front desk". Well, I live in a small brownstone, and we don't have anyone at the "front".

Just want to see if anyone else are having lost packages with sunday deliveries as well?

I plan on making a trip to the post office tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful. Actually, I have zero hope. But I think this is the tipping point for me that I want to do something about it - but the sad part seems that there's not even much I can do?

Posted on: 2015/6/2 23:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Amazon has a special arrangement with USPS to deliver on sundays (and it's amzn packages only, not other regular US mail). Also, I believe both UPS and Fedex has USPS help deliver packages for the "last leg". And I hate this arrangement - at least with the regular UPS / Fedex packages, they always try 3 times. With this "last leg" arrangement, I'd be lucky if USPS rings my bell. Half of the time, it's just a pink slip in the mail next day. BUt most of the time, it's a phantom package that I have to track down online. I wish Amzn would have a locker somewhere downtown that's easily accessible for self pickup. I'd use that in a heartbeat.

Posted on: 2015/3/10 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

caj11 wrote:
I know, it's weird. I see postal trucks in front of my building nearly every Sunday, no clue what they are doing there, but maybe it's some special arrangement with Amazon and other companies to make these special deliveries on Sundays.

I generally try to time the Amazon Prime deliveries to come on Sunday since my wife is usually home to sign for them. Stuff that Amazon sends by FedEx a lot of times will have the last mile delivery done by USPS.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
And now for some good news... I received a package from Amazon Prime yesterday (Sunday) without any issue. I ordered it Friday night received it Sunday afternoon. I had no idea they worked Sunday.

I know, it's weird. I see postal trucks in front of my building nearly every Sunday, no clue what they are doing there, but maybe it's some special arrangement with Amazon and other companies to make these special deliveries on Sundays.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
And now for some good news... I received a package from Amazon Prime yesterday (Sunday) without any issue. I ordered it Friday night received it Sunday afternoon. I had no idea they worked Sunday.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Uptown Residents Petition to Improve Poor Post Office Package Delivery

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS ? Locals who rely on deliveries like school supplies and diapers for their children claim the US Postal Service repeatedly fails to bring them their packages ? forcing residents to trek to the post office despite paying to have them dropped at their doors.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150 ... t-office-package-delivery

Posted on: 2015/3/9 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Could you post a link and/or picture of the measuring cup you got in France? I would love to get something similar.

Here ya go: http://www.amazon.com/Luminarc-Measur ... en&ie=UTF8&qid=1423232966

I use my kitchen scale and set the unit of measurement to grams or ounces. Easy-peasy.

Obviously, you didn't understand the conversation.

There is a difference between European recipes, that provide measurements by WEIGHT (grams, liters, etc) and US recipes that provide measurements by VOLUME (cups, ounces, etc.) The confusion for most people is that they see a cup of water, which equals 8 fluid ounces and assume you it is the same as measuring out ounces by weight. You can not do this. Nor can you come up with a "universal" cup to grams conversion: 2 cups of flour and 2 cups of sugar will measure out differently in terms of weight, so an American recipe calling for those ingredients in those measurements, would be presented in France (for example) calling for 240g of flour and 400g of sugar.

The beauty of that Luminarc product referenced by JadedJC is that it takes the effort out of doing the conversions for each ingredients and then weighing them, by having a simple way to measure ingredients by volume when a recipe calls for them by weight.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Sent two small flat rate packaged at exact same time. Same postman accepted both. One is tracking as in its way from JC post office to secaucus and en route. The other like it's just had a label made (that was me) and other than that, non existent. Person at post office said they don't scan when receiving from me at building as they get tons of packages from building but scan once it unloads to back if JC post office. Then where is it? Went to post office today and they said not to worry give it 24 hours. My argument is my customer deserves to receive it in the time guaranteed as they paid the postage for that service. I am helpless as its MIA.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Could you post a link and/or picture of the measuring cup you got in France? I would love to get something similar.

I use my kitchen scale and set the unit of measurement to grams or ounces. Easy-peasy.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 12:16

Re: Jersey City mail delivery screw ups.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:

Does anyone have the name and phone number
of the postmaster, or Supervisor?
I'm going to copy this and send to Mayor Fulop
and Candace Osbourne.

Thanks everyone!

Don't bother, this is out of their jurisdiction. Instead, call the Jersey City office of our congressional representative Albio Sires, (201) 309-0301. Speak with one of his aides there, and fax her copies of the online information that show your package being shipped and delivered. The main aide at that office is very receptive and helpful and she will put you in touch with a regional director of the post office.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 4:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Sadly, this happens SOOOOO much more frequently than it is humanly possible (i have to say, the Post Office keeps surprising me just how bad it can get everytime)! Just today, I was expecting a package from amazon - the tracking at amazon says it's delivered, but I came home to nothing: no package, no pink slip. It's going to be a pain in the a** to track it down again.

Posted on: 2015/2/24 3:25

Jersey City mail delivery screw ups.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
My neighbors address is the same as mine
but with an extra 1/2.

So if I was 222, they're 222 1/2.
This has caused in the past our mail being
delivered to them or not delivered etc.
And now recently my Wife ordered a product online.
It never was delivered. But when we tracked the
USPS tracking # it shows delivered. Was not
in vestibule next door and neighbor said
she didn't have it and vendor charged us.
My Wife was home all day that day as well,
and nobody rang our buzzer. And nothing was
left.
This is really annoying. I filed a complaint
with USPS and they just say it was delivered.
And good luck trying to reach a human being
at the Montgomery Street branch. It's an
automated message sending you to federal
Customer Service. This is infuriating. I've
never had this degree of problems with mail
delivery like this other then since we moved
to JC.

Does anyone have the name and phone number
of the postmaster, or Supervisor?
I'm going to copy this and send to Mayor Fulop
and Candace Osbourne.

Thanks everyone!

Posted on: 2015/2/24 2:35

Edited by mrasg1 on 2015/2/24 2:54:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

That's awesome! Thank you so much for the link. I'll be ordering that shortly.

And, to bring the conversation back around to the terrible local USPS operation: just received a letter yesterday that was mailed 7 weeks ago. It bounced back and forth between the originating city and JC THREE TIMES. Why? Two numbers in the zip code were transposed (07032 instead of 07302) and apparently no one at the post office could understand the plainly written address, which was accurate. :/

Posted on: 2015/2/7 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/6 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Thank you so much for that link, JadedJC! As you mention, most baking is about being precise, which appeals to my OCD tendencies.

I have a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup from ShopRite that has ozs. on one side and gram wts. on the opposite side.

Unless I misunderstood what JadedJC mentions in her post, I don't think what you describe is at all what she described. Your Pyrex measuring cup will work for liquids, because most liquids used for cooking have similar densities, and so equal volumes have similar or equal weights (1 cup of water is around 8oz of weight , 1 cup of oil is just under 8 oz of weight, etc.). But this doesn't work for cooking solids (non-liquid ingredients) as the density of flour is quite different from that of the density of water, or that of rice. So, using your Pyrex to measure ingredients by weight is wholly inadequate if you are mixing more than just liquids.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Thank you so much for that link, JadedJC! As you mention, most baking is about being precise, which appeals to my OCD tendencies.

I have a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup from ShopRite that has ozs. on one side and gram wts. on the opposite side.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Generally, 4 oz of sifted flour by weight = 1 cup dry volume.

Hmm, I've been using 6oz=1c. Can't remember where I got that, but I don't sift it for bread, which is really all I make.

http://www.thekitchn.com/weight-conve ... baking-ingredients-171316

Not the first time a JCList has derailed, but at least it's a nice derailment!

Posted on: 2015/2/6 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

Hmm, I've been using 6oz=1c. Can't remember where I got that, but I don't sift it for bread, which is really all I make.

http://www.thekitchn.com/weight-conve ... baking-ingredients-171316

Not the first time a JCList has derailed, but at least it's a nice derailment!

Posted on: 2015/2/5 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

Posted on: 2015/2/5 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

PS Re: kitchen scale-I can't convince my wife that measuring flour by weight is better.

Keeping with your comment, but completely off-topic: the weight vs. volume thing when it comes to baking is super interesting. I was hosting some French friends at my place and they wanted to bake some macarons and couldn't quite figure out how to do it because their family recipe called for ingredients measured by weight and I don't have a kitchen scale. Despite being an avid baker, it had never occurred to me that US recipes differ from European ones in that regard.

So, how would you go about measuring your flour, by weight, for baking recipes that list it by volume??

Generally, 4 oz of sifted flour by weight = 1 cup dry volume. I usually don't convert. If a recipe calls for 1 level cup of flour, then I just stick with that. Since baking aims for a specific chemical reaction, I try to to be precise in measuring. I amassed quite a few French cookbooks while living there, and for baking, the ingredients are usually listed in grams. So, I ended up buying a scale that allows me to toggle between ounces and grams. One of the coolest kitchen tools I've ever bought in France was this measuring cup with different markings for 50, 100, 200, 250, 400, 500g, etc. for flour, rice, sugar, semolina, etc.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 22:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

PS Re: kitchen scale-I can't convince my wife that measuring flour by weight is better.

Keeping with your comment, but completely off-topic: the weight vs. volume thing when it comes to baking is super interesting. I was hosting some French friends at my place and they wanted to bake some macarons and couldn't quite figure out how to do it because their family recipe called for ingredients measured by weight and I don't have a kitchen scale. Despite being an avid baker, it had never occurred to me that US recipes differ from European ones in that regard.

So, how would you go about measuring your flour, by weight, for baking recipes that list it by volume??

Posted on: 2015/2/5 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Duane Reade and the newsstand next door to McDonald's on Grove Street sell stamps at face value. If you're just mailing a letter that doesn't require tracking or a return receipt, there's no reason to go to the Post Office.

Yeah, I got my stamps at a newsstand, but the PO not being able to sell stamps IS just stupid!

Posted on: 2015/2/5 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Duane Reade and the newsstand next door to McDonald's on Grove Street sell stamps at face value. If you're just mailing a letter that doesn't require tracking or a return receipt, there's no reason to go to the Post Office. Sometimes, I'll mail a birthday and gift card to someone that might exceed the 1 oz. limit for a first-class letter on one stamp. If you have a kitchen scale, you can weigh the letter on that and use the USPS postage calclulator (http://postcalc.usps.com/). Just affix the number of stamps needed to cover the postage - even if you're overpaying by 10 or 20 cents it's worth it to not have to deal with the JC Post Office.

(P.S. Before I got into ambitious baking projects that required getting a kitchen scale, I would walk into Lee's Grocery or La Conga and just ask them to weigh my letters and manila envelopes on their scales.)

Posted on: 2015/2/5 15:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
If you don't have to pick up a package, I have learned to use the Hoboken Frank Sinatra station. They FUNCTION there, the people do their jobs. There may be a line but it will move along at a rational pace since the windows are STAFFED. They won't necessarily smile at you but they will be WORKING the whole time and not wasting your time. Plus its a classy building. I WISH I could get my packages delivered there.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 14:37

Re: Guess what? UPS doesn't like you either
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Strange thing is Brewster, they had two stamp vending machines in there about 4 years ago and then removed them.

Robin.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 14:28

Re: Guess what? UPS doesn't like you either
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Quote:

Annod wrote:
Guess what? UPS doesn't like you either
Big Brown will start charging more to deliver to residential addresses
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/g ... ke-you-either-020415.html

UPS to apply surcharges to residential packages after costs surge
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/0 ... lts-idUSKBN0L71AA20150203

I wonder if they'll try to impose the higher charges on high-density residential addresses like high-rises. It's nothing like delivering to a house in the suburbs. Delivering to a 400-unit building, which usually has a doorman to sign for packages, is just like delivering to a business. During the holidays, it's not unusual for UPS and FedEX to send one truck stuffed with packages only for my building. One stop and the driver is done.

I does not matter, I send out about 8-15 packages daily from my UPS account and if I choose residential oppose to business I am charged more no matter if its a high-rise or a trailer. Most of my clients request sending items to their work to avoid being charge the extra $4-$8 bucks. However since I work from home where my business is located I am being charged the business rate which is less expensive.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 13:26

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017