Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: Missing package - what to do now?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Simple: request a signature to be signed upon delivery.

new in town?

Posted on: 2010/10/6 0:25

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/5 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
I can totally sympathize! I'm sorry about your missing package - I went through a similar situation last month. And before I begin, in response to one poster, not every instance has the option for "signed for" mail. On August 12th a package was delivered (I live in the Heights) and the postal carrier rang the buzzer. I let him in the building and that was the last of it. I went downstairs a short time later and there was no package but he had marked it "delivered" in the system.

For two months I have been dealing with an uncooperative and rude USPS staff, as well as consumer affairs. The manager at the local branch is nice, but nothing has been done. They imply that since it was marked "delivered" I must be lying.

At this point, based on things I witness in the mail area to our lobby (which is a building with only 6 units) I think I can safely conclude that the lady downstairs stole my package. However, I would at least like to know if the mailman ever actually delivered the package. I have gotten nowhere with the USPS and Consumer Affairs, so good luck to you and sorry for your frustrations and loss!

Posted on: 2010/10/5 23:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/15 3:56
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
Alright - I had since made 2 phone calls, and here's what happened:

1. I first called the USPS 800 number, and told them that it was a Registered mail, and I want to know who signed for the package. But "Nooooooo", they cannot produce anything like that. According to the rep, she cannot provide, or find out, who signed (or if anyone) signed for it. She's "very sorry", but that's just how it worked. I tried to reason with her (about filing a claim / CC, and how that won't work with a "delivered" status), but tough luck - I'm screwed (alright, I added the "I'm screwed" part myself, but that's how she made me feel).

2. I then called the local USPS number in downtown, and spoke with a gentleman. After I told him the package is registered, he actually was able to pull up info that I signed for it (he quoted my last name). Then I told him I didn't sign for it, and he took down my info, and asked me to call him again tomorrow. I don't even want to bring my hopes up right now.

Sounds like the minimum I should do is to have them change the status - then at least I have more grounds to deal with Sender / CC.

Got my fingers crossed!!!

Quote:

chanj wrote:
Actually, come to think of it, it was sent "Registered". Should I go to the PO and ask who signed for it? They got to able to show who signed for it, otherwise, they shouldn't leave it there out on the front door, right?

Or am I going down a hopeless route?

Posted on: 2010/10/5 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Simple: request a signature to be signed upon delivery.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=229969#forumpost229969

I had the pleasure of putting a package thief in jail back in January. Unfortunately I saw him just a few months later back out on the streets. He is a repeat offender. White guy, buzz cut hair, late 30's- 40 years old. 5'10" about 170-180 lbs. He wears glasses but has faded teardrop tattoos on the corners of both eyes. He is well-spoken and will try to pass himself off as a USPS driver as he did when I first witnessed his shenanigans. He walks around going from stoop to stoop looking for packages, mail etc. I witnessed him stealing a Netflix DVD from one neighbors mailbox.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 21:22

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/2 23:19
Group:
Registered Users
Feel your pain. We never have packages delivered to our JC address any more on account of numerous thefts. The mail situation in this town is out of control bad.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Heads up that this nonsense is not limited to the USPS. I had a Fedex Ground shipment of personal goods stolen by their personnel last Feb. They said that it was placed "near the garbage cans". As outrageous as that might be anyway, I have no streetside cans!! They refused to even discuss the matter.

Beware that the default of their ground svc is no sig required. I didn't know this as it is buried under "special services" in the online form.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 20:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/19 13:54
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'd do that, or you may even be able to see who signed for it online. Also, check with your neighbors or leave them a note. It's possible it was left at the wrong address.

I'd wait a little bit to see if turns up before filing the police report/notifying the CC company. Although, that may be bad advice, as that is exactly what I did and I ended up getting screwed over.

Good luck.

Quote:

chanj wrote:
Actually, come to think of it, it was sent "Registered". Should I go to the PO and ask who signed for it? They got to able to show who signed for it, otherwise, they shouldn't leave it there out on the front door, right?

Posted on: 2010/10/5 20:26
"His father was a mudder.
-His father was a mudder?
-His mother was a mudder.
-His mother was a mudder?
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/10/5 20:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, file the police report!

In my case, the post office refused to change the status of my package from "Delivered." What was real sketchy is that they claimed it was delivered 9:30 PM, Saturday night, and during a snowstorm. This may have been late Feb, actually, not March. My mail is never delivered that late, and it arrives earlier than usual on Saturdays (like 11:30AM). Super sketchy situation.

I explained all this to my credit card company and they did an inquiry into it. Apparently, delivered is delivered and I had to pay for what I ordered. The JC post office did claim to look around for the package, but in the end were really no help.

No problems since I've been having everything delivered to my NYC office.

Quote:

chanj wrote:
I just went to the Post Office, and the nice guy at the package pick up window looked around for 10 minutes, and couldn't locate it.

I live in the VVP area too, and this is so frustrating. Sounds like having the sender file a claim, or filing with my credit card company likely won't help either (given the Post Office has "delivered" it already), but I'm going to try anyway.

Should I bother filing a police report?

Thanks for all the comments / good wishes so far!

Posted on: 2010/10/5 20:18
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
I just went to the Post Office, and the nice guy at the package pick up window looked around for 10 minutes, and couldn't locate it.

I live in the VVP area too, and this is so frustrating. Sounds like having the sender file a claim, or filing with my credit card company likely won't help either (given the Post Office has "delivered" it already), but I'm going to try anyway.

Should I bother filing a police report?

Thanks for all the comments / good wishes so far!

Posted on: 2010/10/5 20:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/25 15:19
Group:
Registered Users
I had a package stolen recently as well. It wasnt signed for but somehow it was delivered and stolen. I guess the joke was on them as it was a gag gift sent to me by a friend. I thought they were sending a wedding invitation when they asked for my address, but when they told me what they sent it was clear why they asked if i like monkeys or elephants better. http://www.poopsenders.com/

Posted on: 2010/10/5 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
bummer to hear. i've had an unreal amount of mail go missing and i just don't trust a package to sit at my doorstep all day (or if they don't leave it and you have to track it down, ugh) if you have the option, send anything important to a work address or ask a friend who might be home when the mail arrives if you can use their address. i never have had a problem since i started diverting my packages out of jersey city.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 20:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/23 9:07
Group:
Banned
If you rent, or even own your home and the residence has had previous owners, you really need to call USPS, UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc and make sure there are no signature release forms on file for your address. If there are, a lot of times, the driver won't even bother ringing a buzzer and just leave a package out in the open on your stoop or wherever. It's laziness to the extreme. I had this problem with FedEx and was told there was a previous tenant that had a signature release form. It was still near impossible to get it revoked for some reason. This could be the reason packages get left at a lot of residences out in the open.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 20:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/22 15:38
From harsimus cove
Group:
Registered Users
This happened to me a few weeks ago (Harsimus Cove, 4th Street area) to a package from Barnes and Noble. B&N asked me to wait a few more days, and I checked with my neighbors, etc, but no trace of it. I also live in a three family brownstone. Eventually, b&n mailed me a replacement.

I submitted tons of complaints to the PO and at the higher, PO level, I got an email that said, the package was delivered on X date at X time. the end.

At the local JC level, I received an email that 99.9 % of all mail is delivered successfully and they are disappointed by this error. That same day, I had more mail go missing.

Sigh. Thanks JC post office.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 18:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I'm so sorry to hear this. Same thing happened to me, Van Vorst Park area, same type of building, back in March. As mentioned previously, go to the post office in person, and also call every day to follow up, so they don't forget about you. Hopefully it turns up somewhere! Also, check your neighbor's stoops and/or ask around, maybe it was delivered to them in error.

My package was never located, and I ended up having to pay for what was stolen. The sender refused to resend the missing package. I reported it stolen and tried (unsuccessfully) to file a claim with my credit card, but didn't get anywhere because the post office reported it as delivered. I now have everything delivered to my office. I hope your situation turns out differently.

Quote:

chanj wrote:
So - according to the USPS website, my package was delivered last week. However, I looked top to bottom in our building (small brownstone, no door man, and so sometimes packages are left on the front door) and there's no trace of the package.

What can I do now? It was a package from Asia, send as registered mail.

I've contacted the sender already, asking them to file a claim (and hopefully resend the merchandise), but given the fact that the "Post Office" shows it "delivered", will the claim work?

TIA.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 18:27
-What did I just say?"

-Kramer

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
First step: Go to post office with photo ID and ask them if they're holding onto any packages for you.

This has happened to me, and every time it turned out the PO was holding onto it.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 18:05

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/3 15:59
Group:
Registered Users
I'm really sorry to hear this...I had a package go missing last week. Similar circumstance, package left by UPS on the doorstep (according to website), but no package there when I came home. I've seen others on this list discuss this in the past.

Fortunately, my package was from Amazon & they sent a replacement immediately to a different address. My wife asked a policeman in the area what could be done...I'm sure you know the answer. Not much.

We're in the Van Vorst area. Any others experiencing this problem again? Perhaps a sting operation is warranted?

Posted on: 2010/10/5 18:05

Missing package - what to do now?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
So - according to the USPS website, my package was delivered last week. However, I looked top to bottom in our building (small brownstone, no door man, and so sometimes packages are left on the front door) and there's no trace of the package.

What can I do now? It was a package from Asia, send as registered mail.

I've contacted the sender already, asking them to file a claim (and hopefully resend the merchandise), but given the fact that the "Post Office" shows it "delivered", will the claim work?

TIA.

Posted on: 2010/10/5 17:48

Re: JC Post Office - Be Very Afraid
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Funny this thread would revive today. I was at the post office this morning and had the nicest retail experience I've had I'm a while.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 17:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like the OP found a topic that everyone on this message board can actually agree on. Kudos to them.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
interesting. on saturday i received a piece of mail from my aunt (so it was probably just an article about something she thinks i like) that had holes poked through it and had been tampered with and torn a little down the side. when i opened the envelope it was empty. lame.

surprisingly the mail has been better here than when i lived in red bank. when i lived there this sort of stuff happened ALL. THE. TIME. no amount of complaints fixed it.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Showtime wrote:
I heard the Post Office has been employing part-time new-hires to do some Saturday routes.

Ahhhh, so this is the "new breed of mail carriers" that Carlos briefly mentioned this morning! There's no excuse, though. We have lost mail, and someone needs to be made accountable for it!

Posted on: 2010/8/10 15:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/23 12:49
Group:
Registered Users
I heard the Post Office has been employing part-time new-hires to do some Saturday routes.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 15:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
For the past couple of Saturdays, the mail carrier has left our unsorted bundle of mail (there are 4 units in our building) outside on our stoop.

We knew without even speaking to our regular mail carrier, Carlos, that this is not his work. We have come to know him well over the past few years that we've lived in VPP, and find him to be a diligent, conscientious worker who takes pride in his work. I've always felt lucky that he works our route because I've heard/read many horror stories (on this site and in real life) about other people's mail.

I just spoke with him this morning to inquire who has been working on Saturdays, as our mail has been left outside on the ground on a few occasions, and that we have already lost mail (that's a whole other post). Carlos informed me that a) he has not been working on the weekend for over a month, b) he is aware of this issue as other customers have complained to him, and c) he has informed his supervisor, who hasn't done anything to reprimand the mail carriers who have been relieving Carlos on weekends and correct the situation.

His suggestion is to escalate this issue by filing a written complaint to the Postmaster:

Virginia Falcon
POSTMASTER
USPS Main Office
69 Montgomery Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302-3800

If any of you have issues with the USPS, I recommend you do the same.

Posted on: 2010/8/10 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
I too live on 7th St and NEVER got the right mail. Maybe because my address has "1/2" in it and reading comprehension is not in the required skill set for the JC post office personnel? I happened to be coming out my apartment door while a mail person was delivering and I attempted to explain the house without the 1/2 in the address was next door but that seemed to throw her completely. I even pointed to the numbers on the outside of the building....no response whatsoever. I recieved the neighbors mail, and promptly delivered it myself. God knows where my mail wound up. wtf?

So I get sick of not getting mail and get a box at the UPS store. I attempted to have my mail forwarded in Oct 2008. For the first year I got about half my mail forwarded and half delivered to the house. Didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what was forwarded and what wasn't. And yes I know that alot of junk mail, and no catalogues are forwarded. So I go back to the post office to put in another forwarding request and they tell me my time has expired, they only do it for a year. I was like "hey it was never forwarded properly". Sucks for me, because they won't do anything. OK by now most of the important mail has the correct address but every once in a while......

I moved 3 times in Manhattan and it was never an issue.

Posted on: 2010/1/24 2:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/23 2:17
Group:
Registered Users
Since the Lafayette Station closed, has Lafayette been handled by Bergen North or by Main and wasn't "Bergen South" at 369 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Dr. formerly another name (maybe Claremont?)?

Posted on: 2010/1/23 1:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/9 15:42
From Italian Village
Group:
Registered Users
Thought I would chime in...

Changed my address at the JC Post office on November 7th, 2009 (for a start date on November 12th) even though I wasn't moving until Dec 1st. I was told by the post office worker that it takes 5 - 6 weeks for a forward to start (Five to Six weeks, Seriously? - Okay).

I moved from 7th Street downtown (07302) to 2nd Street downtown (07302). Same zip code. Same post office.

So, in effect my mail isn't even going to a new post office, just a new mail carrier leaving from the JC Post office.

However, now it is January 20th, and I'm receiving mail (for example Kohl's sale fliers) that were supossed to be delivered between Dec 10-Dec 14th.

I've changed all my important bills, so it's more of a laugh than a problem.

I just find it kind of pathetic, that even though by Dec 14th, my forward was already in place for a month, it took another full month for a piece of mail to get from one mail carrier to another (at the same post office)

Posted on: 2010/1/20 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
They delivered some mail to me (2x) for someone who lives in Princeton, NJ. My wife was offended as if we live in a working class city!

Posted on: 2010/1/20 18:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/1/16 23:25
Group:
Registered Users
thank you all for the heads up. This explains why whenever I leave a JC post office, I witness either something completely ridiculous

Posted on: 2010/1/20 17:45

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017