Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Wary council backs abatement for American Can condo plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I thought abatements were only supposed to be given to stimulate development in areas where there was no market incentive to build, and also to provide "affordable housing".

Posted on: 2006/4/14 22:08

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/25 18:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcaro28 wrote:
How is it that everyone else in JC is getting an abatement, but my prop taxes just went up?? I have to say...I recently moved to JC from NYC...the government here is horrible...from police chief,to mayor to local council people. The only one who I like is Fulop and I just found out he doesnt represent me.

As has been stated here before, properties with abatements get PILOTS - payments in lieu of taxes. They still pay pretty much the same amount in these payments to the city as you pay in taxes(if not more), but none of that money makes it's way to the state unlike with property taxes.

Basically they're cheating the state out of money, not the other property owners.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 15:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/27 22:48
Group:
Registered Users
One other thing...did Fulop run for mayor? If not, I would encourage him to do so next election.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 14:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/27 22:48
Group:
Registered Users
How is it that everyone else in JC is getting an abatement, but my prop taxes just went up?? I have to say...I recently moved to JC from NYC...the government here is horrible...from police chief,to mayor to local council people. The only one who I like is Fulop and I just found out he doesnt represent me.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 14:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/25 18:31
Group:
Banned
Just keep on abusing the abatements, JC - you're just asking for Corzine, already in a budget crunch, to step in and make sure you can never give one out again.

Just what Lefrak needs, another abatement. Handing out abatements like that will pretty much prove to the state that the system is being abused.
Not like it helps the developer, anyways.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 14:53

Wary council backs abatement for American Can condo plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Wary council backs abatement for American Can condo plan
Friday, April 14, 2006
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

In a 7-1 vote that appeared more negotiating stance than firm commitment, Jersey City council members introduced an ordinance Wednesday night granting a 30-year tax abatement for a condo development proposed for the old American Can building on Dey Street.

Downtown Councilman Steve Fulop was the lone "nay" vote against the unusually long tax break.

"In time we could get to 40 years, 50 years," he quipped.

Councilwoman Viola Richardson was absent.

But even the council members who voted for the abatement said they have several problems with the project, including its lack of affordable housing and open space. But they also pointed out that nothing's final until the ordinance is adopted in a second reading, which would take place in two weeks.

"I have serious reservations," City Council President Mariano Vega said before voting in the affirmative. "But in two weeks, we can discuss with the developer affordable housing, contribution to the city, and open space."

A New York City-based company named Coalco has proposed transforming the massive factory building, located in a no man's land near the Pulaski Skyway, into a condo complex with a minimum of 511 market-rate units.

James McCann, attorney for Coalco president Mikail Kernev, said yesterday he doesn't see much room to negotiate.

The $100 million-odd project has already been planned and financed as market-rate housing, he said

"There is 7,000 square feet of open space in Phase I, and there will be additional open space in Phase III and Phase IV, as required in the city's zoning ordinance," he said.

In other business, the council also introduced a 20-year tax abatement for the Shore Club North, the second phase of a 429-condo complex the LeFrak Organization is building on the Newport waterfront.

The council also introduced the "St. Francis Hospital Adaptive Re-Use Redevelopment," a designation that paves the way for a $75 million market-rate project proposed by brothers Eric and Paul Silverman for the defunct Downtown hospital.

Posted on: 2006/4/14 14:49

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017