Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
61 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods delivery to Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Because WF would need a parking lot in this area and there aren't many locations that would be able to accomodate that. It wouldn't make sense to have a WF with no parking in Hoboken or JC because that would mean only the people in the immediate vicinity would be able to shop there. If a WF opened in Hoboken and there wasn't a large parking lot, I can tell you that I would never go. No way would I want to lug myself and two kids with bags and bags of groceries and walk 3 blocks away to my car. I probably wouldn't even go to WF in JC if there wasn't a parking lot there either. I never go to Morton Williams, even though you can get your parking validated.

The WF in Tribeca is close to public transportation as well. Not only people in Tribeca shop at WF, they take trains. And everyone is used to not having a car and driving to get their groceries.

The only thing I can think is if either the Hoboken or A&P shuts down, maybe a WF might look at it. Although the Hoboken A&P's parking lot is pretty pathetic.

Posted on: 2011/3/17 23:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
What the F is wrong with Whole Foods marketing? Tribeca, with a population in 2000 of 10k gets one, but nearly as wealthy Downtown JC and Hoboken with 10 times that number can't.

Posted on: 2011/3/17 22:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Whole Foods Tribeca 212-349-6555
All right here's the deal, you have to go to the store itself there are no phone, fax, or e-mail orders. Shop around the store as if you were going to take the stuff home, put everything in the cart perishables and all then walk it over to the checkout counter. Then checkout will bag the dry groceries separately from the perishable items and store/load it in a cooler for delivery onto their refrigerated truck. There is up to a 4 hour window ETA delivery time, and a $14.95 delivery charge, 8pm is the last order for delivery. They only deliver to the Downtown section of J.C. south of 12th St. and east of the Ferris H.S. area.

Posted on: 2011/3/17 21:40

Whole Foods delivery to Jersey City
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/2/24 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
I saw a message running on the Path train today indicating delivery was available from the Tribeca Whole Foods to Jersey City-- but did not see the details. Does anyone have more information on how it works?

Posted on: 2011/3/17 21:07

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/25 18:50
From corner of van vorst and vienna
Group:
Registered Users
@JPhurst: I almost responded when I saw the comment about the "new coop," but I bit my tongue. You put it perfectly ? thank you!

I wish any new business in JC well. But the fraudulence of this one's name bothers me.

Re: Whole Foods, Amy and Crazy_Chester have a really good point. Manhattan can support four (five?) of them, but maybe JC doesn't have enough "Whole Foods shoppers," from an affluence standpoint, to support one.

Posted on: 2010/12/31 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
This area may not be affluent enough for a Whole Foods, but I think it could support a Trader Joe's. I can't really afford Whole Foods, but I go to Trader Joe's in Edgewater sometimes. Trader Joe's prices are much lower than Whole Foods prices. Considering how many people pay the inflated prices at this particular A&P, they'd surely pay the lower prices at TJ's.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
If it really is a no-brainer, then why are they not here already? Too many people assume that because they and some friends would frequent a place that it would be a good business opportunity. The fact is that this area's demographic is not really as affluent as you think, even with the new development. It is basically a ghetto in their eyes. Combine this with the fun and excitement of dealing with this city's powers-that-be, and I don't blame them for ignoring us. Not that I would shop there, anyway. You can get your fix of arugula and other assorted and marked-up organics at Hudson Greene and Liberty Towers and several of the small grocers in the downtown area, as well as the new co-op in Hamilton Park.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
UMM ok, but its really a no brainer for a Whole Foods to come into JC right on the border of Hoboken.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
The best place for a Whole Foods would be in the Lackawanna Building. Carlos bakery just took 30,000sf and they are in the process of converting the ground level into retail. It would have the sf necessary for a large Whole Foods and there would be plenty of parking.

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... ll-focus-on-retail-space/

Posted on: 2010/12/30 17:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
If you all want another space to focus your WF and TJ's lust, think about the Lackawanna that's planning to rent out 200k retail ft. It even has parking.

http://lackawannacenter.com/retail.php

Negotiations have already been happening. There have been a few rumours but I've heard nothing that can really be reported as fact yet. There may be problem with the proposed footprint of the building. Keep an eye out for changes to a construction blueprint.

There is also a concern that there will be no foot traffic (or "undesirable" foot traffic) at this location. This glorified strip mall needs a volume anchor to make the other units more attractive to rent, which I'm sure is a fact not lost on the developers.

Posted on: 2010/12/28 21:47
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
If you all want another space to focus your WF and TJ's lust, think about the Lackawanna that's planning to rent out 200k retail ft. It even has parking.

http://lackawannacenter.com/retail.php

Posted on: 2010/12/28 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
TJ's claims all they need is density. We know otherwise (excepting Manhattan they require parking). But, perhaps this article can spark some ideas.
http://greatergreaterwashington.org/p ... -then-add-more-residents/

Posted on: 2010/12/28 15:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
My heart skips a beat whenever I see this "Whole Foods in JC?" topic resurrected here on jclist. Same thing applies to all of the talk about Trader Joe's.

Interesting to me that it's warranted 64,000+ views - or more than double the viewing of "HUGE GAS PIPELINE - coming to Jersey City". LOL.

Sure wish that we knew the retail location scouts at either of these two food chains and could bring our interest to their attention.

Posted on: 2010/12/3 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Superyum! Brooklyn Getting First Whole Foods at Once Dirty Gowanus Canal Site

New York Observer
By Matt Chaban
November 29, 2010

Would you eat veggies harvested on the shores of the gowanus?

Brownstone Brooklyn's foodies (is that redundant?) can finally rejoice. No longer will they have to settle for the Trader Joe's on Atlantic or trek all the way out to the Fairway in Red Hook for the finest produce and prepared foods. Lo, Whole Foods is finally coming to Brooklyn's fair shores.

Those aren't any shores, though, but the Gowanus Canal's. The superfood superstore has been planning an outlet at Third Avenue and Third Street for more than a half-decade. Part of the hold-up has been both contamination on the Whole Foods site, which was recently cleaned up by the state, as well as the ongoing saga of the muck in the canal itself, and whether it was worthy of being designated a Superfund site. The answer, as of this spring, was yes. Still, this did not deter Whole Foods, as the mayor feared it might. (Other developers were not so keen.)

Brownstoner got its hands on a letter from a Whole Foods rep to the chair of the local community board describing in detail the company's current plans. The store will measure 52,000 square feet, 25 percent smaller than originally planned, and there will also be fewer parking spaces, downsized from 430 to 248?including priority spaces for energy efficient cars and even an electric car charging station (strike two, Red Hook). Other awesome additions include?what else??a 20,000-square-foot rooftop garden for growing organic veggies to stock in the produce isle. It doesn't get much more Brooklyn than that.

mchaban [at] observer.com | @mc_nyo

Posted on: 2010/12/3 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/12/23 15:50
From jazzy city
Group:
Registered Users
hudson greene gourmet market

Posted on: 2010/11/11 18:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what grocery store is going in at the bottom of 77 Hudson? It doesn't look like a terrificly big space, but would be nice as I live downtown!

Posted on: 2010/2/2 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Supermarkets closing, and opening
Acme to leave JC/Bayonne border; Walmart and others come to area

by Ricardo Kaulessar
Reporter Staff

There are at least 66 supermarkets operating in Hudson County, including 20 in Jersey City, according to the New Jersey Department of Health.

Some towns stand to lose their neighborhood supermarkets in this economy, while others have recently gained larger Walmart stores.

The Acme Supermarket on Garfield Avenue near the Jersey City/Bayonne border is closing its doors on Feb. 6, but a Fine Fare Supermarket is slated to open in the same space in the near future. Meanwhile, Walmart recently opened its first grocery store in Hudson County with a 24-hour ?supercenter? located in North Bergen. Several shoppers interviewed at the opening said they had come there from Jersey City.

Some residents would like to see a Whole Foods in the area.
________

Walmart also plans to reopen its existing store in Secaucus with a 27,000 square-foot grocery store. Since Secaucus has lost its Acme and Stop and Shop in the past 10 years, the Super Walmart has been welcomed by residents.

Last month, the Shop-Rite on Avenue C in Bayonne re-opened after being closed for nearly a year, expanding to a 70,000 square-foot store with underground parking.

But what else is on the horizon?

Bayonne

Steve Gallo, chief of staff for Bayonne Mayor Mark Smith, said last week that there are no plans for any new supermarkets opening in Bayonne in the near future. However, a Walmart is coming to the future mall at 22nd Street off Rte. 169 known as Bayonne Crossing. A Lowe?s Hardware will also anchor the spot.

Gallo said there are already several supermarkets in different parts of the city, each serving a different location. Besides the ShopRite on Avenue C, there is a Stop & Shop off Rte. 169, A&P on Avenue A near Sixth Street, and C-Town on Broadway.

?Bayonne has always had competitive supermarket business because of the proximity of stores from the people they are serving, whether it?s Stop & Shop on the highway for people who have a car or the ones in the inner city like ShopRite for pedestrians and the elderly,? Gallo said.

Jersey City

Jersey City also has its share of supermarkets, including two downtown near the Newport Mall: ShopRite and A&P.

Dan Frohwirth, director of real estate for the Jersey City Economic Development Corporation, said any conversations with supermarket chains usually center on whether there is ?sizable? retail space and parking.

The median square footage of a supermarket was 47,500 as of 2007, according to the Food Marketing Institute, an Arlington, Va.-based food retailer organization.

Frohwirth said the more recent supermarket to open is the Morton Williams located within the Shore Club condo building within the Newport community in downtown Jersey City. The store has been open since July 2008, and attracts most of its consumers from the Newport area.

Frohwirth, who also lives in the Shore Club building, lauded the store for not only being ?clean? but also for being open up to midnight to accommodate tenants? last-minute grocery requests.

He noted that two smaller markets or mini-supermarkets are in the works for Monticello Avenue in the city?s Bergen-Lafayette section.

Whole Foods downtown?

For downtown Jersey City residents, the target audience of this newspaper, ?Whole Foods? has a ring of familiarity. That?s because they have been clamoring for years to see the Austin, Tex.-based organic mega-retailer open a store in their area. So far, there are none in Hudson County.

Residents have posted on internet bulletin boards like JCList and New York Sixth about the Whole Foods obsession. But in fact, there have been real-world discussions to bring them to Jersey City.

Longtime developer Peter Mocco, responsible for the massive Liberty Harbor development off Grand Street in downtown Jersey City, has been and still is in negotiations to bring a ?high-end food store? such as Whole Foods to Liberty Harbor. But there?s a catch.

?The kind of dilemma that I deal with is the idea of single stand-alone supermarket building that would be an interim solution, but would have to be taken down when I build a much a larger building that would allow for a food store on the ground floor,? Mocco said.

Mocco said he has not been able to build a larger-size mixed use residential-retail building due to the current economic market.

Closing shop

The Acme Supermarket at the Jersey City-Bayonne border looked nearly dead during a recent visit.

Shelves in certain areas are either completely empty or nearly so, with signs hanging off them saying 33 percent off. A man was filling his carts with cases of soda.

One longtime customer, Katherine Brown, said she will miss the Acme management that she got to know over the last 10 years.

?I will miss all my friends, who all treated me with respect and were always helpful, even if they were busy,? Brown said.

Standing near the half-empty dairy aisle were four men looking over architectural plans for the Fine fare store. One of them identified himself as the owner. He referred questions to the spokesperson standing next to him, Steven Felber.

Felber said that his company will remodel the store and confirmed that it will be a Fine Fare store. But did not say when it will open.

A follow-up phone call to Felber was not returned by press time.

Ricardo Kaulessar can be reached at rkaulessar@hudsonreporter.com.

Posted on: 2010/1/31 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Mackey is a fool on two counts. First, for not understanding his customer base better. Second, for opposing a policy that is absolutely better for every business in this country. The only industry that would not benefit are insurance providers.

One of the most important selling points for unorganized labor to unionize is the prospect of union provided or union negotiated health insurance. With a strong public option or national health system, the benefits of organized labor for members decreases, and so then does the incentive to unionize.

Additionally, by providing a public health system, employers would be equally burdened by the cost, rather than negotiating individually with health insurers. Third, a healthy workforce is a better workforce, and a cheaper workforce.

Fourth, the current system of private insurance, public insurance programs for special classes, and the uninsured produces gross inefficiencies that ultimately costs everyone more.

Fifth, by making a public health system affordable, consumers have more money to spend on things like groceries at Whole Foods.

Mackey no doubt has a personally vested interest in opposing a national health system. As a CEO of a major corporation, he will undoubtedly pay nominally higher taxes to pay for a healthcare system. But as a representative of his company, he should have every interest in promoting a national health system: union busting, a leveled playing field for attracting employees at a lower cost, and customers with more money that can be spent on high priced luxury groceries.

Posted on: 2009/10/26 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. I have never spent one dime shopping at Whole Foods. After hearing what Mr. Mackey said I'm going to make it a point to shop there as much as possible.

Posted on: 2009/8/14 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
JC residents in general, don't have the Resized Image for Whole foods to invest here - Downtown store owners barely make a living now.
To put it mildly - JC is cheap!

Posted on: 2008/10/23 4:09
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I like Whole Foods nd Wegman's, but Shop-Rite, Pathmark and A&P aren't that bad

Posted on: 2008/10/23 3:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/7 17:24
Group:
Banned
Too bad they don't rip out that Shoprite on Marin Ave. That place is awful! The quality of their produce is laughable, and their organic/wholesome foods section is pathetic. I avoid this place like the plague! Truth is, nobody knows if the rumors have any validity to them. I would take a Wegman's over a Whole Foods any day of the week though!

Posted on: 2008/10/23 2:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/19 10:30
Group:
Registered Users
I heard that all vacant commercial space in Jersey City will have some sort of Wegmans or Whole Foods. size and offering will vary depending on size of location.

Posted on: 2008/10/23 0:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
I heard that Wegmans is coming to Jersey City!

No, Wegmans prefers to have it's giant stores in places like Ithaca, population 30k, rather than JC, pop. 250k. All of tiny Hudson county is 600k.

My only conclusion about stores like Wegmans, TJ's, and Costco is that they've redlined Hudson County. Despite the wealth concentration in downtown & Hoboken, they see the rest of Hudson as too poor for their products, even though there's more people in either Downtown or Hoboken than in all of Ithaca or many of the towns these stores have come to.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 19:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/14 14:12
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:

Good! We need a source for quality photos of Weimaraners.

Posted on: 2008/10/22 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2008/10/22 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/18 14:49
From heights
Group:
Registered Users
here's a read for you Whole Fooders: Omnivores Dilema

Posted on: 2008/10/22 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
... no one has talked of starting a co-op like they've had in Park Slope for ages...

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... t_id=63573#forumpost63573

Posted on: 2008/10/21 23:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/22 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Funny you should mention that because I heard they're putting in a mega-gunstore in the Linens 'n' Things space.

Actually I heard it was going to be a Dollar Gun Store, we are desperately in need of one.

Posted on: 2008/10/21 22:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
What surprises me, given the number of people craving WF, and that many of them are overeducated stay at home moms, that no one has talked of starting a co-op like they've had in Park Slope for ages. I shopped in the co-op when I lived in Berkeley decades ago, and there's one where my MIL lives in crunchiest Oregon. Where's the fanatic to get this organized? Surely school reform can't be keeping them all busy? Alb?

(please be gentle with me... )

Posted on: 2008/10/21 22:33

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017