Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/27 23:02
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Hmart is a great store. The seafood alone is a reason to shop here.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe we should target http://www.hmart.com

Posted on: 2013/8/4 14:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I would be happy if the grove st farmers market expands to include more items and all of them organic. They can close off a couple of blocks of Newark ave for the market. We can get much fresher local produce that is environmentally green and having much higher nutrional value than what WF sells. Also organizing such a market 4 days a week would be great.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 10:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SRhia wrote:
I stopped going to Shoprite many years ago. While I was living at Avalon Cove, I used to go due to the convenience. But after walking out empty handed many times (the produce were so ugly, they looked like they were thrown out by other supermarkets, and this Shoprite went and picked them up to sell at this location), I just gave up. Waste of time!!! Never again.

I've been to other shoprites in NJ, and my god, the difference is day and night!!!

I refuse to pay money to buy crap, and be treated like crap while I'm a customer. For that, I'd rather tread into Chinatown - at least everything is real cheap and fresh.

I stopped buying produce at the Shoprite for the same reason. I've been going to the Asian market on Tonnelle Ave 555 Market the produce is fresher & less expensive and the selection is better.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 13:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Speaking of fish/lack thereof, what is up with the former Lees Fish place? It's now called "H2o Aquarium". Huh? Pet fish place?

They have a good selection of pet fish there, and the owner seems very knowledgable. Definitely worth checking out if you have an aquarium. Too bad the Whole Foods across the street turned out to be a hoax. Any idea what's really going in there?

Posted on: 2013/8/2 3:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Speaking of fish/lack thereof, what is up with the former Lees Fish place? It's now called "H2o Aquarium". Huh? Pet fish place?

Posted on: 2013/8/2 2:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I stopped going to Shoprite many years ago. While I was living at Avalon Cove, I used to go due to the convenience. But after walking out empty handed many times (the produce were so ugly, they looked like they were thrown out by other supermarkets, and this Shoprite went and picked them up to sell at this location), I just gave up. Waste of time!!! Never again.

I've been to other shoprites in NJ, and my god, the difference is day and night!!!

I refuse to pay money to buy crap, and be treated like crap while I'm a customer. For that, I'd rather tread into Chinatown - at least everything is real cheap and fresh.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
That shoprite is absolutely horrible, one of the worst run supermarkets i have been to, even though i live very close to it i always drive to A&P instead, much better.

1) Rude & loud people - both employees and shoppers. I often wait at the seafood section for 10+ mins watching employees laughing and chatting to each other in the back while NOONE is at the the seafood counter as a line forms, and when they do come they are all annoyed as if doing us some big favor by packaging the seafood. Then you ask the guy who is there serving the other counters to get somebody, they would just yell the name and walk away without even acknowledging you or check if someone is actually coming.

Customers are not much better, mothers screaming at their kids, people bumping and running into people without even saying excuse me. People going to the 10 item or less lanes with a full cart of items pretending they didnt see the giant sign above their head.

2) Prices are never clearly labelled especially in the produce/meat sections, they just put whatever price label they feel like on the counter side, you have no idea which label matches what.

3) There is never any shopping carts at the supermarket, you always have to hunt them down in the parking lot

The whole place is just ghetto, and their prices arent even that much cheaper than A&P. What a dump.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
With regards to the notion/assertion that people in the great European cities only buy food a day or two ahead of its use, I have some quibbles with that. After all, it is all about context. In many European cities (certainly the capitals and other major cities) the vast majority of people live in apartments/flats. Most of these are furnished with EXTREMELY small fridges (think the type you have in college dorms!) with limited space and usually without a freezer, or an extremely small one. Many people HAVE to shop several times a week because they CAN'T store more than a few days worth of groceries. Additionally, there are some other reasons why people don't buy too much of some things: bread (at least in some Western Europe countries) tends to go stale within a day or two. By day three, it resembles a brick! I guess less preservatives. That's a topic for another day. :)

Additionally, shopping trips by car are rather expensive as gas is at least twice as much as here. When gas was a dollar or two per gallon here, it was well over 4 dollars over there. Currently, gas prices in the continent are over $9 per gallon (1.8 euro per liter) and about the same in London. Nobody wants to drive, unless they have to.

So, yes, people over in Europe walk to their local markets to buy groceries several times per week, but that is often because they HAVE TO.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
not to mention the people buying 20 sticks of deodorant and 30 individual rolls of toilet paper because "hey I have these coupons make sure to scan them all"

Posted on: 2013/7/30 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users
I must say I too have shopped there for several years now. I have noticed that it is much better than a few years ago. It is actually pleasant to go in. A few years ago some employees were quite rude and seemed not to care. I do believe it is much better now. Plus they gave the inside a much needed face lift last year. It still is not Wegmans. I'm sure the pay is not on par with Wegmans either - but all in all it is decent. Also have recently found great buys on wine in the wine shop there.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
I really wonder about what you guys do in there, as I've been shopping there literally every week since they opened some 15? 18? years ago and never experienced any of the stuff you folks complain about.

I've never had any arguments with any of the employees, never got into any fights with other shoppers - in all that time I've only ever seen one argument, and that was barely more than some yelling and pushing.

The only things I dislike about Shoprite are the people in charge of the lot and grounds, and shopping there near the first of the month (that's standard at any grocery store tho).

Posted on: 2013/7/30 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I figured he meant rough in the sense of the prevailing patrons. I despise the place, so I fully understand what (I think) he meant. The place is littered with malcontents (customers and employees) who are miserable people: inside you will find customers yelling or "speaking" as if they were in a loud concert, people with attitudes and chips on their shoulders (you will get glared at if you ask some people to please move their carts so you can continue on your way), cashiers who will not hesitate to give you lip and attitude over a seemingly innocent question ("hey, those are peaches, not apples" or "i think the price you rang up is wrong", etc.), long lines and employees who truly don't want to be "bothered" by customers asking questions like "where can i find such and such".

Quite honestly, that ShopRite SUCKS.

Couldn't have put it better myself. The real problem within Shoprite isn't the food, it's the morons running the place.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I figured he meant rough in the sense of the prevailing patrons. I despise the place, so I fully understand what (I think) he meant. The place is littered with malcontents (customers and employees) who are miserable people: inside you will find customers yelling or "speaking" as if they were in a loud concert, people with attitudes and chips on their shoulders (you will get glared at if you ask some people to please move their carts so you can continue on your way), cashiers who will not hesitate to give you lip and attitude over a seemingly innocent question ("hey, those are peaches, not apples" or "i think the price you rang up is wrong", etc.), long lines and employees who truly don't want to be "bothered" by customers asking questions like "where can i find such and such".

Quite honestly, that ShopRite SUCKS.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
Harsimus Cove is a rough area?

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I doubt anyone will believe what I am about to say, but the Shop Rite next to BJ's has surprisingly good fish, if you ask for it. I know it's in a rough area, but if you call ahead and see when it was delivered, you can grab some top notch tuna and other fish.

I hope that helps.

Quote:

4thandjerz wrote:
Quote:

I'm doing quite well right now with Key Food, P&K, Grove Plaza Farmers' Market and WF Tribeca. A local WF would be great - but at least for me - a reliable fish store would be sufficient.

Fish fish fish! Yes! We've got pretty good access to almost everything else. We need fish.

Maybe he means rough in the undeveloped sense not the "you will get shot" sense that is characteristic of other JC areas

Posted on: 2013/7/30 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
TJ or WF has 40k to open a business.

Is it that much more expensive to operate in their other NY and NJ locations?

Also, they could open in Hoboken, and that would be convenient for plenty of people in Downtown JC. Particularly if DTJC isn't "affluent" enough which is hogwash but if you believe it. They like us A&P and Shop Rite, and two Kings.

The problem is that Shop Rite is too crowded and disorganized. The A&P is nice but pricey. A Trader Joe's would fill that void. It would take two minutes in each store to realize the problem.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/14 15:19
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Harsimus Cove is a rough area?

Quote:

nyrgravey9 wrote:
I doubt anyone will believe what I am about to say, but the Shop Rite next to BJ's has surprisingly good fish, if you ask for it. I know it's in a rough area, but if you call ahead and see when it was delivered, you can grab some top notch tuna and other fish.

I hope that helps.

Quote:

4thandjerz wrote:
Quote:

I'm doing quite well right now with Key Food, P&K, Grove Plaza Farmers' Market and WF Tribeca. A local WF would be great - but at least for me - a reliable fish store would be sufficient.

Fish fish fish! Yes! We've got pretty good access to almost everything else. We need fish.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Brewster - check out Key Food for chicken - I haven't defrosted any since they opened. Also, Shoprite carries D'Artagnan duck breasts which are easy to cook and very tasty. I am pining my hopes on the 8 Erie St. project to bring us more variety in the poultry department. It would be nice to get a goose other than from some perv on the PATH.

It really is sad that some people in JC need to take public transportation to get good, affordable food - those people who wait for the guagua on Marin across from Shoprite always seem so forlorn to me.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 10:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
. It's actually a pretty modern & suburban notion. In much of the world, and in the great European cities, people shop only a day or 2 ahead
ummmm I live in Jersey City the same city you live in not Europe. I also live in Greenville the part of town where there is no descent supermarkets for me to go to daily. Also I would never take the 33rd street Path train unless it was an emergency. I am fine going to TJ 2 to 3 x a month and yes I have no problem eating meat or fish that is a week old from my freezer.

You do understand the thread is people discussing what they want, not dealing with the current situation best they can? No decent walking distance market in a high density city shouldn't be acceptable, it sounds like you're arguing it is.

If there were a decent market with what we need on my wife's walk home from the path, we would eat far less frozen fowl, and she used to regularly buy fish from the defunct store on Jersey.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
maybe I just eat a lot or entertain too much? even though I go to the grocery store at least 2 x per week and the farmers market downtown (in the summer/fall) at least once I couldn't carry my groceries home on the train.

Maybe if I was single and getting one chicken breast and one squash or something but I usually have at least 5 or 6 bags from each shopping trip and they are usually heavy!

for my taste I would much rather a fairway than TJ or WF though WF would be better since I prefer fresh meat/fish over pre-packed stuff that you get at TJ (though I do love the grains, sauces, and other dry goods at TJ)

oh and for the record I actually find the Shoprite fish dept to be really good... though this new any purchase over $25 has to be paid in advance thing is really not cool and has made me consider other options since I really don't have the time or patience to wait in their lines twice per trip

Posted on: 2013/7/29 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Maybe you can't fathom it because walking is no problem for you. I have rheumatoid arthritis. Walking is hard. Carrying full shopping bags is hard. Walking while laden with full shopping bags is harder, and it isn't made easier with all the stairs at 23rd street. As you get older, you learn not to make statements that are as tinged with arrogance and narcissism as that one was. Not everyone is you.
\
+1
I agree, I did not find the post arrogant as much as I found it dumb. I go to TJ 2 x a month and each time I leave with 8 bags of groceries and I work out 4 x a week but I still would not carry 8 bags of groceries on the Path when I can drive to Milburn. What works for you does not work for everyone that's what makes this poster sound dumb.

. It's actually a pretty modern & suburban notion. In much of the world, and in the great European cities, people shop only a day or 2 ahead
ummmm I live in Jersey City the same city you live in not Europe. I also live in Greenville the part of town where there is no descent supermarkets for me to go to daily. Also I would never take the 33rd street Path train unless it was an emergency. I am fine going to TJ 2 to 3 x a month and yes I have no problem eating meat or fish that is a week old from my freezer.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I think where this conversation breaks down is over the idea of "the big shopping trip". It's actually a pretty modern & suburban notion. In much of the world, and in the great European cities, people shop only a day or 2 ahead, who wants to use week old produce or meat? One of the ideas of modern urbanism is being able to shop within a short walk and buy what you can transport with practicality, like we did pre ww2. So to argue that the best solution is to shlep stuff miles through the transit system or to drive 1/2 hr back and forth, is missing the point of living in a vibrant city.

And why a TJ's close to one of our PATH stations would be amazing, you could stop and get fresh ingredients for THAT night's dinner, rather than buy all the TJ's stuff you want that month in one trip. Stores like Key Food or Hoboken's Garden of Eden fill this need, but TJ's has many better values and products.

True. I don't mind the ride into Manhattan too much, but the idea of it being convenient breaks down if you're doing that 2 or 3 times a week to go shopping. A 5 - 10 min walk to get food is much different than a 5 min walk, + a 20 min ride one way. It pretty much forces you to have a "big shopping trip".

Posted on: 2013/7/28 22:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
Maybe you can't fathom it because walking is no problem for you. I have rheumatoid arthritis. Walking is hard. Carrying full shopping bags is hard. Walking while laden with full shopping bags is harder, and it isn't made easier with all the stairs at 23rd street. As you get older, you learn not to make statements that are as tinged with arrogance and narcissism as that one was. Not everyone is you.
\
+1
I agree, I did not find the post arrogant as much as I found it dumb. I go to TJ 2 x a month and each time I leave with 8 bags of groceries and I work out 4 x a week but I still would not carry 8 bags of groceries on the Path when I can drive to Milburn. What works for you does not work for everyone that's what makes this poster sound dumb.

I think where this conversation breaks down is over the idea of "the big shopping trip". It's actually a pretty modern & suburban notion. In much of the world, and in the great European cities, people shop only a day or 2 ahead, who wants to use week old produce or meat? One of the ideas of modern urbanism is being able to shop within a short walk and buy what you can transport with practicality, like we did pre ww2. So to argue that the best solution is to shlep stuff miles through the transit system or to drive 1/2 hr back and forth, is missing the point of living in a vibrant city.

And why a TJ's close to one of our PATH stations would be amazing, you could stop and get fresh ingredients for THAT night's dinner, rather than buy all the TJ's stuff you want that month in one trip. Stores like Key Food or Hoboken's Garden of Eden fill this need, but TJ's has many better values and products.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SilveryJessica wrote:
\
+1

Posted on: 2013/7/28 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jessica, my post was certainly made regarding able bodied people; of course if somebody has a medical condition that is a different story altogether. I can fathom that difficulty. My post was certainly not made with arrogance.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 20:06

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 0:12
From Downtown JC/Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/28 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I honestly can't fathom why people would drive to Edgewater or Millburn instead of taking the Path to 23rd Street. The TJ's is a 60 second walk from the 23rd Street stop. It is faster than driving anywhere, cheaper than driving anywhere, and much less of a pain in the ass. I guess if you're feeding a family of 6, or buying groceries for a 2-month period, transporting things in a car is easier...but how many people are in that boat? You can fit a lot of stuff in 2-3 of those sturdy paper bags TJ's gives you.

Milburn is a 20min to 1/2 hour drive. If you're shopping on the weekend (which a lot of us do) then it is probably faster to drive to Milburn. Also easier to pick up a bunch of stuff and get it to your place, especially if you're not particularly close to the path.

Not to mention you can stop at the Millburn Deli and get the best version of the North Jersey centric style Sloppy Joe sandwich. Ask for it 'old school', which means - butter the bread, go easy on the coleslaw and Russian dressing, and avoid the pickle in the wrap.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 20:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Well yeah, but Fulop has vowed to completely change the business climate so that will change, and I think those changes will be noticeable very early on.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
funny no one here mentions that its a headache and approx 40k to open a business in JC, just maybe that's why most stay away.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Nj.com is getting into the battle?

Trader Joe's, Whole Foods score well in survey