Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Wegmans could fit in the area north of the tunnel and would get plenty of people from Hoboken that way too.

TJ could fit downtown- it's a much smaller footprint, maybe in the mall when Sears and JC Penny inevitably go under.

I could do without Whole Foods.

The A&P is nice, no crowds, and you can get decent prices if you get sale items. The Shop Rite is god awful and I only deal with it if it's a big sale. The entire place is a madhouse. I've never been so aggravated to go food shopping.

The Pathmark is in desperate need of an overhaul. Imagine what that whole plaza could be with even TJ as an anchor.

Call me crazy, but I much prefer the Pathmark at Old Colony than the ShopRite at Metro Plaza. The Pathmark is less crowded, has a self service check out aisle, and I find that their inventory is pretty decent, including things I would never expect to find in a supermarket catering to a ghetto area. (And, yes, I used that term. Sue me.)

Heck, sometimes I find and buy some nice products I would normally buy at WF, but at a much lower price.

You're crazy. That is probably the only part of DTJC where I feel totally unsafe. Definitely seen drugs dealt in the parking lot. Also have seen expired foods put on the shelves. As much as shoprite is horrible, pathmark is 10x worse.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 14:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
We were at the Fairway in West Paterson Saturday; somehow it always underwhelms me. At least they have a liquor store inside with the occasional bargain on wine.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Put down the crack pipes, you'll never see a Wegman's around here.

Agreed. I have never seen a Wegman's in an urban area (but, maybe they do exist) and the smallest Wegman's I have ever stepped into was HUGE, just less huge than a regular Wegman's.

About the only place I can think of where they could fit one is at the Lackawanna Terminal, where commercial and retail is supposed to be brought in. In fact, I think bringing in a large, reputable supermarket would do wonders to anchor that effort and should spur other businesses to take a risk and move there. I don't think Wegman's would do it, but Fairway has been known to open in grittier locations, as evidenced by their Harlem location in a similar setup (old, gritty warehouse area, facing onto a highway).

Posted on: 2014/10/14 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Put down the crack pipes, you'll never see a Wegman's around here.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/26 14:52
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mwa7368 wrote:
We need a Wegmans not a whole foods.

I completely agree. The one my parents shop in has a cafe area where my Dad can get a beer and hang out while my Mom putters around the store. I would finally be able to convince my man to go to the grocery store with me!

Posted on: 2014/10/14 12:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
We need a Wegmans not a whole foods.

Posted on: 2014/10/14 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Wegmans could fit in the area north of the tunnel and would get plenty of people from Hoboken that way too.

TJ could fit downtown- it's a much smaller footprint, maybe in the mall when Sears and JC Penny inevitably go under.

The A&P is nice, no crowds, and you can get decent prices if you get sale items. The Shop Rite is god awful and I only deal with it if it's a big sale. The entire place is a madhouse. I've never been so aggravated to go food shopping.

The Pathmark is in desperate need of an overhaul. Imagine what that whole plaza could be with even TJ as an anchor.

Call me crazy, but I much prefer the Pathmark at Old Colony than the ShopRite at Metro Plaza. The Pathmark is less crowded, has a self service check out aisle, and I find that their inventory is pretty decent, including things I would never expect to find in a supermarket catering to a ghetto area. (And, yes, I used that term. Sue me.)

Heck, sometimes I find and buy some nice products I would normally buy at WF, but at a much lower price.

I would love to see a Fairway in the area; always an excellent selection. I have never been to a Whole Foods but I'll take everyone at their word.

There are only 2 ShopRite's in the area that I will shop at; Hoboken & Bayonne, with Bayonne being the bettr of the two.

Posted on: 2014/10/13 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Posted on: 2014/10/13 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/13 20:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Me too. The parking lot is frightful and I'm afraid of getting my car dinged by the rolling carts. The A&P is marginally better but crossing the Holland Tunnel traffic can be a challenge at times.
Would much prefer a nice store within walking distance.

Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
I totally get what you are saying sillyscorp. I believe nyrgravey9 has mentioned the same thing, that their fish is really good. I guess I should give it a try. Normally, I go to WF for my fresh fish needs.

But, honestly, I seldom visit that ShopRite. It is a madhouse at the times I can stop in normally (evenings and weekends) so I rather avoid the aggravation.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I totally get what you are saying sillyscorp. I believe nyrgravey9 has mentioned the same thing, that their fish is really good. I guess I should give it a try. Normally, I go to WF for my fresh fish needs.

But, honestly, I seldom visit that ShopRite. It is a madhouse at the times I can stop in normally (evenings and weekends) so I rather avoid the aggravation.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

07310 wrote:
"The specialty grocer is slated to announce Thursday that it has signed a lease to open a 29,000-square-foot store in the heart of the city's downtown. "

29K sq ft grocery store is small. Most grocery stores in NJ are 40K-80K sq ft.

Most stores in NJ are located in suburban locales, so that is a bad comparison. 29K sq ft is about average for their urban locations. Their current expansion plans is predicated on stores being smaller than what they used to build.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/retailwir ... hole-foods-grows-smaller/

I've shopped at the smaller WF stores in Port Washington NY and Ardmore PA. They are difficult to navigate during peak shopping hours and the selection is not as good. I guess I am used to shopping at WF in Edgewater and Princeton and the flagship store near the WTC where the aisles are bigger.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
ok I guess I would say 90% of their fish is excellent - you do have to check and make a judgment call at times but they almost always have wild salmon (of some type - usually coho) and cod/scrod/haddock which is what I mainly buy. I also get a lot of shellfish (clams/mussels) and like anyplace those pre-bagged ones always have a bunch of broken/dead ones so I usually make them get out 2 or 3 bags and check them myself. I am trying not to eat too much Tuna or Swordfish (mercury content etc) but the stuff I have bought from there in the past is no different than any other store (not whole foods or farmer market quality but still totally fine)

I think that one of the biggest issue at the shoprite is that many of the people who work there are kids and don't give a @$#% (which is likely true at 95% of stores) and yes I would rather starve than go there the first weekend of the month- absolute mad house with people who are buying 2 and 3 carts full of food - but luckily I have seamless so I don't have to

Posted on: 2014/10/10 16:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
Their fish is actually excellent (assuming you know even a tiny bit about fish and ask what is fresh)

If the fish is excellent, you wouldn't need to know anything about it, or have to ask if it is fresh.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
I think its funny how crazy people are about shop rite. I go there pretty often and while its not a fun place to be on weekends its actually doesn't have bad food.

Their fish is actually excellent (assuming you know even a tiny bit about fish and ask what is fresh) and if you get there when the butcher is open (probably before 6 or 7 pm) you can have them custom cut and trim any meat you like (I find they generally cut things too thin likely to keep the price down and I prefer a thick steak/pork chop)

I am lucky enough to shop during the day in the week and its totally fine. There is a decent aisle of "health" food for gluten free/ organic dry goods etc and the while there isn't a ton of organic produce there is a standard selections (apples, pears, grapes, lettuces, potatoes, tomato, broccoli etc)

that being said I would love a Fairway or something just because I like to get a lot of more specialty items (currently I just get them when I am on the road for work or I have them delivered by fresh direct)

+1. I've been to far worse markets than Shop-Rite. Are people put off by the store, or the clientele?

The store actually has decent stock of just about everything. But, the clientele is atrocious. Avoid at all costs at the beginning of the month, when the EBT money is deposited. It is ALWAYS a mad house at Shop Rite at the beginning of the month. Best time to shop there: mid week, around 2 or 3 PM.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 16:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

07310 wrote:
"The specialty grocer is slated to announce Thursday that it has signed a lease to open a 29,000-square-foot store in the heart of the city's downtown. "

Most stores in NJ are located in suburban locales, so that is a bad comparison. 29K sq ft is about average for their urban locations. Their current expansion plans is predicated on stores being smaller than what they used to build.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/retailwir ... hole-foods-grows-smaller/

Posted on: 2014/10/10 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sillyscorp wrote:
I think its funny how crazy people are about shop rite. I go there pretty often and while its not a fun place to be on weekends its actually doesn't have bad food.

Their fish is actually excellent (assuming you know even a tiny bit about fish and ask what is fresh) and if you get there when the butcher is open (probably before 6 or 7 pm) you can have them custom cut and trim any meat you like (I find they generally cut things too thin likely to keep the price down and I prefer a thick steak/pork chop)

I am lucky enough to shop during the day in the week and its totally fine. There is a decent aisle of "health" food for gluten free/ organic dry goods etc and the while there isn't a ton of organic produce there is a standard selections (apples, pears, grapes, lettuces, potatoes, tomato, broccoli etc)

that being said I would love a Fairway or something just because I like to get a lot of more specialty items (currently I just get them when I am on the road for work or I have them delivered by fresh direct)

+1. I've been to far worse markets than Shop-Rite. Are people put off by the store, or the clientele?

Side note: The Newark Whole Foods is going into the old Hahnes Department Store. They had a restaurant in there that featured a harpist at lunchtime. I wooed and won my wife there, even though we sometimes had to split a cup of soup because that's all we could afford. Okay, memory time is over, get off my lawn you kids.

Posted on: 2014/10/10 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/10 14:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/10 13:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/18 21:02
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/10/10 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

acynth18 wrote:
Quote:

frankm wrote:
Is there any merit to this?

"Whole Foods, the gourmet grocer legions of avid fans have been hoping would soon open a Jersey City branch, will occupy the bottom two floors of the new tower being constructed at the Grove Street PATH station."

http://www.newyorkssixth.com/

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Fingers crossed that it is!

Aaand we've come full circle. Over 8 years later we are starting this thread all over again.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 21:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/3 18:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

frankm wrote:
Is there any merit to this?

"Whole Foods, the gourmet grocer legions of avid fans have been hoping would soon open a Jersey City branch, will occupy the bottom two floors of the new tower being constructed at the Grove Street PATH station."

http://www.newyorkssixth.com/

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Fingers crossed that it is!

Posted on: 2014/10/2 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/21 14:20
Group:
Registered Users
i dont care if it's wegman or trader joe or wf, just need a decent supermarket.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrasg1 wrote:
If you would rather see Wegmans then Whole Foods,
contact the Mayor and let him know. I did.
Wegmans treats their workers much better then WF,
and they are HQ in upstate NY.
My vote goes to Wegmans.

Are you a major stockholder in Wegmans? If not, you don't have a vote.

It ain't gonna happen.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 20:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/9 22:52
Group:
Registered Users
If you would rather see Wegmans then Whole Foods,
contact the Mayor and let him know. I did.
Wegmans treats their workers much better then WF,
and they are HQ in upstate NY.
My vote goes to Wegmans.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Fairway or Wegman's would be the best choice. Forget Whole Foods.

You'll have rainbow unicorns swimming across the Hudson ferrying JC commuters for free before that will happen.

Just exactly where is Wegman's going to drop a 140,000 square foot store with adequate parking in downtown? Do you have any idea of how many tractor trailers would be driving downtown streets to fill a store that size?

Yes, a suburban model - one large floor, lots of parking won't work although cities are attracting a desirable clientele. For example, what's to stop WF or Wegmans from taking the CH Martin space and either remodeling or rebuilding it into a two story grocery with parking above? Or perhaps locating something like this by a light rail stop in an underserviced neighborhood.

What's to stop it? Companies don't put stores in locations that will cause them to lose money. Wegman's isn't going to sell a lot of radicchio in a store by the Garfield Avenue Light Rail station.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 11:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

jcdd wrote:
Fairway or Wegman's would be the best choice. Forget Whole Foods.

You'll have rainbow unicorns swimming across the Hudson ferrying JC commuters for free before that will happen.

Just exactly where is Wegman's going to drop a 140,000 square foot store with adequate parking in downtown? Do you have any idea of how many tractor trailers would be driving downtown streets to fill a store that size?

Yes, a suburban model - one large floor, lots of parking won't work although cities are attracting a desirable clientele. For example, what's to stop WF or Wegmans from taking the CH Martin space and either remodeling or rebuilding it into a two story grocery with parking above? Or perhaps locating something like this by a light rail stop in an underserviced neighborhood.

Posted on: 2014/10/2 11:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nafco wrote:
id rather take a trip to the NYC WF rather than Milburn if i needed it that bad. At least you can get a good selection of beer in NY which is still not allowed in NJ for whatever reason.

I think some state law prohibits TJ's from selling booze at more than two NJ locations-you can get it in Westfield and Princeton.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

Is it possible WF already analyzed this and still decided the numbers don't make sense?

I would say yes since there are 3 WH locations (24th St, 14th St and the Flagship WTC store) which are less that 5 miles from JC.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 16:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
id rather take a trip to the NYC WF rather than Milburn if i needed it that bad. At least you can get a good selection of beer in NY which is still not allowed in NJ for whatever reason.

Posted on: 2014/10/1 16:07

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017