Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
95 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 95

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 31 »

Re: Whole Foods in JC?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/25 7:29
Group:
Registered Users
This is a hoax, unfortunately. We spoke to regional management. Developers put these signs up to garner short-term interest. How short-sighted!

Posted on: 2013/4/12 17:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/12 18:23
Group:
Registered Users
Id rather see more small organic grocers then a WF. Maybe bring back some of the small bodegas that were forced out of the neighborhood!

Posted on: 2013/4/12 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Trader Joe's would be a better fit for JC.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 16:53
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
We are already done with th TJ rumour.
This was posted by "Poncho11"

Re: fence at Borinquen?

It seems that Borinquen Hardware will be a Traders Joe's.

Posted on: 2/25 19:04

Now how about a Dean and Deluca rumour?

Posted on: 2013/4/12 16:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
cheer up guys. we just got a new mexican place on grove that looks good, and we're getting a new bookstore/cafe on newark. the farmers market is coming back. good tiiiiimes.

and if you really want it, WF in tribeca is walking distance from wtc path station and they will deliver to your pampered ass!
;)

Posted on: 2013/4/12 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What's the over-under on when this sign gets removed?

I'll be impressed if the tricksters put up a Coming Soon: Trader Joe's sign in the next week or so.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/12 16:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/24 0:38
From Hamilton Park Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
bummer.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

maybeMoving wrote:
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:
Let the schadenfreude begin...

Took the words out of my mouth. A special congratulations to User111 who I know hates to see any positive developments downtown.

NO hate for dtjc development, just think most are just dumb and laughable here. That is all.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JadedJC wrote:

Took the words out of my mouth. A special congratulations to User111 who I know hates to see any positive developments downtown.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 16:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/12 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
HA!

Posted on: 2013/4/12 16:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/12 17:04
From New Jersey
Group:
Registered Users
Good Morning All,

My name is Michael Sinatra and I'm both a Hudson County resident and the public relations/public affairs manager for Whole Foods Market here in the Northeast Region (NY/NJ/CT).

This chain was just brought to my attention, and I'm sorry to report that this sign was NOT in-fact hung by Whole Foods Market. Unfortunately, we are often associated with various projects and developments whether we are truly involved or not. That said, we do not currently have an official plan to open a store in Jersey City.

However, please know that we have openly committed to expanding in the tri-state area (and throughout the country). While there are no leases or deals currently signed, customers who wish to see a Whole Foods Market in Jersey City can consider posting these opportunities for us in our "suggest-a-store" forum on our website
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/forum ... 36-4fab-9cec-ae561906a267

Please let me apologize if anyone feels that this was a "hoax". Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to e-mail me at Michael.Sinatra@wholefoods.com

best regards,
Michael

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I agree with Mikey. I'd PREFER a family-owned fish market and a family-owned meat market in the neighborhood, over a Whole Foods. We already have halfway decent produce stores in the area.

I really think the sign is a fakie, especially after seeing Dahood's link.

I'd prefer a good butcher, a fish monger and a good produce place (I don't agree that we have one), but I'll take a WF.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I was thinking it was just some fun-loving artists or people with design backgrounds and/or access to commercial printers who thought it would be hilarious and hatched the idea over some beers. The banner itself would be very easy to design.

Unfortunately I have this same feeling. I could see it coming about in just that exact scenario you described. We'll see if it's still there in a few days.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was thinking it was just some fun-loving artists or people with design backgrounds and/or access to commercial printers who thought it would be hilarious and hatched the idea over some beers. The banner itself would be very easy to design.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If it is a fake, that's diabolically brilliant. Some developer's attempt to drive up real-estate values in the vicinity?

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with Mikey. I'd PREFER a family-owned fish market and a family-owned meat market in the neighborhood, over a Whole Foods. We already have halfway decent produce stores in the area.

I really think the sign is a fakie, especially after seeing Dahood's link.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
I don't want to think about the obnoxious lines that would be in that place. There would be a cattle corral line up just to get in the store. I have visions of depression era bread lines. I get disgusted when I see ten people waiting outside of wonder bagels.

A new fish monger, a higher end butcher, small gourmet foods store (like Hourglass fine foods was) and a cheese shop is what I'd like.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
stop dreaming! trader joe's or wegman's would be better. that space is too small and i doubt they would do a stand-alone store without residential above.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
dahood - are you saying i am probably getting all self righteous for no good reason? what a waste of good ranting energy. ha ha.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
tommy - whenever i walk by that olive garden its f'ing crowded too!! ridiculous.

look, we've all seen what mega stores can do to small businesses. if people value convenience and a pretty shopping experience over having a bunch of small family/individual run businesses, thats a cultural issue that i don't have the energy to talk about right now. ha.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
It can be fake, this has happened before:

Whole Foods false banner

I wish it's not fake though.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
well i'm not anti-whole foods or all chains in general, like you said, i try to support local small shops but also end up at chains. obviously the other large supermarkets are chains, but they are located in places that make sense like shopping centers. with the exception of the small key foods, which are also found in nyc. i don't want downtown jc to look like washington street in hoboken.. ick. its overrun with chain restaurants now. yes i know we have some and i'm not a huge fan. but at least they are smaller and don't replace multiple types of businesses in one shot.

i just don't like the idea of a whole foods or another large chain right smack in downtown jersey city in that particular location. it would make more sense to be down near the waterfront on the ground floor of some new building or something.

another thing is, the produce available to those who can afford it at subs and the farmers market is of very high quality. whole foods are geniuses at making you think theirs is better because of how they design the store. the best quality produce doesn't always look so fantastic either, that would be the local stuff at the farmers market. nothing tastes better than that stuff.

7/11 isn't evil, its ugly. its the suburbanizing of the cities. its gross. no need to call me a sneering hipster, i'm too old to be a hipster.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, I never really understood the groceries delivered to your door concept. In this day and age do people really plan their meals a week, or even a few days, in advance? I decide what I'm going to cook at night a few hours before dinnertime. It depends on how my day goes - can I start prepping dinner on the early side, or am I working late and only have time to boil some pasta?

And yes, people go to an establishment like Choc O Pain for a different reason than they would go to the baked goods section at a supermarket. I think most people go to a bakery/cafe to sit and chill out for a few minutes while they enjoy what they've bought.

mjcbklyn, I can understand your cringing at 7-11s all over Manhattan. Bodegas are slowly getting pushed out and that's sad. Even more cringeworthy is the Olive Garden in the Flatiron District! I mean I can understand Times Square (I guess), but on 21st Street? Sheesh, who even goes there?

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mjcbklyn wrote:
socially conscious? oh please. they love to tout themselves as being so but thats not actually the case. obviously no large company is perfect but don't buy into the hype either.

there is good quality produce near us at Subia's. and our downtown farmers market, when it is happening. there are CSA's in the area as well.

we are not in dire need. people use fresh direct, WF delivers. if you have a car you can drive to many different supermarkets that carry organic. there are people in neighborhoods who don't even have access to non-rotting produce, let alone the pretty organic kind. that is dire need.

it just seems out of place and obnoxious.
if you can get your bread and pastries at a whole foods, why go to the new bakeries that have opened? why go to the farmers market if you can just do it all at whole foods? etc.

many of us like living in downtown JC because of its small business and lack of chain stores. we have enough chain stores. if i see another god damn 7/11 in manhattan I'm going to barf.

Why the hate? People shop at both small and big retailers, and if I can get all my shopping done on foot, all the better. Fresh Direct isn't the answer, and it's hardly reducing my carbon footprint when I use them. In any case, WF would provide jobs and tax revenue - probably way more than a small shop could. Whole Foods' baked goods are very mediocre, so I doubt Choc O'Pain will be threatened by them. If anything increased foot traffic is likely to benefit the store. Having a Whole Foods next door would draw their target demographic in droves. I haven't been to a 7/11 in years, but again what's so evil about them? They're obviously meeting some sort of need by being open at all hours. If this bothers you that much, there are broad swaths of ungentrified JC. Feel free to move. You can pat yourself on the back for being that sneering urban hipster pioneer. The rest of us will be enjoying our grass-fed filet mignon on a bed of arugula with ramps vinagrette.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
The amount of foot traffic (and, yes, car traffic) that a WF could bring to that area of DT would be nothing but a great thing for most stores in the area, (except maybe Key Foods).

Sure no one needs a Whole Foods, but considering the store front simply can't be that large given the space I can't see how is hurts the character of the area, we already have a McDonald's a Dunkin Donuts and a Starbucks, a WF certainly isn't going to tank the neighborhood and as Tommy said, grocery stores are pretty much all chains.

Like it or not, this is what DT JC is becoming and a WF fits the dmeographics.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
mjcbklyn, I generally agree with you regarding chains. I avoid going to chain restaurants at all costs. Regarding food/grocery stores, most of them are chains, so I guess it really doesn't bother me. Even Key Foods is a chain. ShopRite is a chain. I don't think it's a huge deal, although I can certainly relate to your point.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 14:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Obviously WF is a publicly traded company and makes a ton of money but they also have a reputation of supporting local agriculture/food businesses and treating their employees well. So yes, as far as a chain megacorp goes, I'd say they are socially concious.

Subia's is fine, the Farmers Market is great, but you won't convince me there's not a need for better grocery options in downtown JC. Key Foods did a nice renovation too so I won't knock them but it's not on par with the quality of WF.

I guess "dire need" of grocery options is a reltive term. I'm aware there are vast swatches of inner city that are grossly underserved and that's sad and all but it still doesn't prevent me for cheerleading for a Whole Foods that's in walking distance for most people downtown.

Whether you like it or not the typical Whole Foods consumers are abundant in Downtown JC now and this place would totally clean up.

(I don't have a car and don't want one so driving to places that carry organic is of no interest to me. Fresh Direct is nice but unless you plan your weeks meals in advance it doesn't help when you want to run out and grab some things for dinner.)

Posted on: 2013/4/12 14:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
socially conscious? oh please. they love to tout themselves as being so but thats not actually the case. obviously no large company is perfect but don't buy into the hype either.

there is good quality produce near us at Subia's. and our downtown farmers market, when it is happening. there are CSA's in the area as well.

we are not in dire need. people use fresh direct, WF delivers. if you have a car you can drive to many different supermarkets that carry organic. there are people in neighborhoods who don't even have access to non-rotting produce, let alone the pretty organic kind. that is dire need.

it just seems out of place and obnoxious.
if you can get your bread and pastries at a whole foods, why go to the new bakeries that have opened? why go to the farmers market if you can just do it all at whole foods? etc.

many of us like living in downtown JC because of its small business and lack of chain stores. we have enough chain stores. if i see another god damn 7/11 in manhattan I'm going to barf.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 14:36

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 31 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017