Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Amid the Glitter, JC's Growing Pains

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/2/20 5:21
Group:
Registered Users
I posted my thoughts on the article on ze blog.
http://dojo-mojo.blogspot.com/

Posted on: 2006/3/5 15:02
Have you had your DoJo Mojo today?

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/11/9 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Bravo to the NY Times for running the article. The antiseptic stings......

Here's a couple of quotes that stuck out:

"But if crime keeps happening, and no one does something, the neighborhood could decay again."

"I know that downtown is considered the safest area, but quite frankly if the financial district is spooked by crime, it won't continue to prosper."

Thanks for posting the article link.

Posted on: 2006/3/5 14:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/7/19 16:57
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2006/3/5 14:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Oh crapper. Here's the correct link:

Amid the Glitter, Jersey City's Growing Pains

Posted on: 2006/3/5 14:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Whoops... it doesn't look like the article link. But I'm dying to read it!

Posted on: 2006/3/5 14:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here's the link to the article:
Amid the Glitter, Jersey City's Growing Pains

By the way, no, Councilman Fulop is not "behind the article."

Posted on: 2006/3/5 13:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/19 6:39
Group:
Banned
IMHO if the lightrail wasn't a free ride to downtown for the gangs of hoodlums that ride it every day into the Newport mall and downtown JC the crime rate would go down in our area, but that would still leave us with the problem of crime in other areas.

Posted on: 2006/3/5 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

injcsince81 wrote:

Where is all the tax money going?

It's a good question. Where is the tax money going? Somehow, I don't think very much of it stays downtown. In that case, raising our taxes isn't going to make any difference, to those of us downtown.

Posted on: 2006/3/5 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 13:56
Group:
Banned
Quote:

jcaro28 wrote:
As a new JC resident (6 months) from Brooklyn, this place has so much potential. I think it's bad city mgmt and bad development. All this new construction is residential. where are the stores ? Restaurants? Business? We need more business, along with residential development. All you see are new condos going up. but if you want to shop or eat, you need to go elsewhere. Also, they need to clean up the city. Quality of life improvemnt leads into less crime. clean up the streets, garbage, ruin down blsg, etc. People will care more. Thats what Giuliani did in NYC. It starts with the basics. This will never be Hoboken, but it has it's own potential, different than Hoboken. I actualy think its a good thing that new people are moving here. New blood will change things hopefully for the better.

jcaro28 - I could not agree more. I get physically sick looking at all the garbage lining JC streets. It definitely starts with the basics.

But crooks are running this city, and have been for decades.

Until more business and educated workforce comes in, and we have electorate and political candidates that ACTUALLY THINK and want to improve things - things are not gonna change.

The crime is about as bad now as it was when there was NO waterfront and NO million-dollar condos.

How the f***k is that possible?

Where is all the tax money going?

Posted on: 2006/3/4 23:38

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/3/27 22:48
Group:
Registered Users
As a new JC resident (6 months) from Brooklyn, this place has so much potential. I think it's bad city mgmt and bad development. All this new construction is residential. where are the stores ? Restaurants? Business? We need more business, along with residential development. All you see are new condos going up. but if you want to shop or eat, you need to go elsewhere. Also, they need to clean up the city. Quality of life improvemnt leads into less crime. clean up the streets, garbage, ruin down blsg, etc. People will care more. Thats what Giuliani did in NYC. It starts with the basics. This will never be Hoboken, but it has it's own potential, different than Hoboken. I actualy think its a good thing that new people are moving here. New blood will change things hopefully for the better.

Posted on: 2006/3/4 22:41

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
I don?t wanna get into a heated discussion here? all I meant to say was people simply can?t afford another tax increase and I don?t think throwing money at the problem is the answer. As for what Troy says, I think his credibility is in question as a result of recent events and I don?t take anything he says at face value. The city is a bureaucratic mess and corruption is still a fact of life. I don?t believe that forcing its citizens to contribute more money to address the problem will do any good.

Most of the discussion about increased crime ? including the Times article - concerns downtown and that?s the reason I commented specifically on downtown. I?m definitely not in favor of people being priced out of an area and being forced to move? it?s simply the reality of what is taking place with the gentrification of downtown. As for the comparison to Hoboken, I think it?s fair to compare its evolution to that of downtown.

Posted on: 2006/3/4 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Is crime up over what it was ten years ago? Maybe not. Is it up over what it was three years ago? I'd say it was, and that's the problem--the situation has regressed. Probably partly the economy, partly changes in policing (or no changes in policing--not being flexible and responsive).

Anyway, I'm still not moving. . . . .

Posted on: 2006/3/4 22:11

Re: Very negative article, almost made me want to move!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:

Not that anyone gives a hoot, but here?s my theory on this whole brouhaha. I find it hard to believe that crime has increased substantially downtown over the past 10+ years? it?s simply getting more attention because of the demographic change. Educated and wealthy persons are more likely to complain and be influential enough to have their complaints heard by government officials and the media. Just a fact of life. The demographic shift downtown has been dramatic. You have an area populated by ?haves? and ?have-nots.? This in itself is part of the issue and there?s no way crime will be substantially reduced until most of the ?have-nots? are forced to move. Or we enact a police state. I don?t believe this is any different than the situation in Hoboken 20+ years ago.

Sorry, but statistics suggest that crime is in fact on the rise, at least in the last couple of years. Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to suggest by "forced to move" or whether you're in favor of such a thing, but it's not going to happen. Jersey City is not a square mile city like Hoboken. It's never going to be all upscale.

Posted on: 2006/3/4 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:

And let's not forget that downtown does not represent all of JC. [thankst gawd.] Besides, I doubt the problem is that simple.

But crime is up in all of JC, and people in all parts of JC are upset about it, and frankly I do think that's a big part of the problem -- the chief himself says in the article that the last few administrations have hired too few officers and that near half of our current officers are of retirement age.

Posted on: 2006/3/4 20:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JSalt wrote:
What I don't understand is, what's so difficult about hiring more cops? I know it costs money, but I have a feeling most people would rather have higher taxes than get mugged, and if they leave because of the taxes, well, they'd be leaving anyways if the crime situation doesn't improve.

Raise my taxes again and that'll get me thinking about moving. And let's not forget that downtown does not represent all of JC. [thankst gawd.] Besides, I doubt the problem is that simple.

Posted on: 2006/3/4 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, I believe that this article resulted from the local press coverage of Fulop's call for the chief's resignation. I do not think that the deli robbery and the mugging of Council President Vega's wife would have resonated so loudly and crime in general have gotten so much media coverage without it.

I also share the perception with some others that crime is not significantly worse than 10 years ago, but that the changing demographics have carried with it changing expectations.

What can a councilman do? Be an advocate for change, for maximizing public safety resources, for embracing new techologies and methods, for bringing in outside experience to our police department....

Quote:

AlanSommerman wrote:
Two questions:

1. Dan, are you certain that Fulop is behind this article? I haven't reread it, but I don't recall his name being mentioned - just a councilman (unnamed) calling for Troy's resignation.

2. What should our councilman be doing? I think most people could reach consensus on what Healy and Troy's responsibilities are, but what should Fulop be doing as part of the effort to combat crime?

Personally, I think he should be doing more to make the area look less "lawless" - getting on the city to keep the streets clean, going after the quality of life violations like speeding, noise and double parking that give people the impression that petty crime is tolerated.

Posted on: 2006/3/4 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, the article is a bit distressing -- particularly the two broad daylight incidents mentioned.

What I don't understand is, what's so difficult about hiring more cops? I know it costs money, but I have a feeling most people would rather have higher taxes than get mugged, and if they leave because of the taxes, well, they'd be leaving anyways if the crime situation doesn't improve.

So what is it? Is there a huge shortage of people who want to be police officers? Are salaries too low?

Posted on: 2006/3/4 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have home delivery of the New York Times so I haven't read the article yet, but I found a different article on the internet.

-------------------------------------------------
Jersey City grows, but not everywhere

By JANET FRANKSTON
The Associated Press

JERSEY CITY, N.J. - Every morning and afternoon, Rachel Schunkewitz prepares four varieties of hummus in her new cafe in downtown Jersey City.

One of the more popular items on the menu is the "Rachel" salad, made with smoked trout, endive and sliced almonds.

Her gourmet menu illustrates how a part of Jersey City has changed in the 30 years since her parents left New Jersey's second largest city for a safer place to raise their children.

"This place used to be an undesirable place to live. It was a place were people went to buy drugs," Schunkewitz, 43, said in the cafe, decorated with exposed brick and flower pedals in the bathroom. "I see a big difference. It's an up and coming area."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/104-03042006-621303.html

Same article is also here under Saturday, March 4:
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/

Posted on: 2006/3/4 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/20 16:31
Group:
Registered Users

Well, the "growing pains" I know about all too well,
having endured and sustained them for well into
twenty-three years now.
But the "glitter": now that eludes me. Surely they
jest when they talk about our glitter. High rents
and high taxes, noise and litter, nolo contendere... But "glitter"?
Come on, ladies. Get a grip.
The glamour of J.C. is an invention of the real estate
agents.
How many people move here and stay for six months
or less and then run away at the first chance. Loads and loads. And they're screaming, "Where's the Glitter?"

Posted on: 2006/3/4 18:05

Re: Very negative article, almost made me want to move!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
I thought the article leaned toward the sensational side, something that the Times has become quite good at.

Not that anyone gives a hoot, but here?s my theory on this whole brouhaha. I find it hard to believe that crime has increased substantially downtown over the past 10+ years? it?s simply getting more attention because of the demographic change. Educated and wealthy persons are more likely to complain and be influential enough to have their complaints heard by government officials and the media. Just a fact of life. The demographic shift downtown has been dramatic. You have an area populated by ?haves? and ?have-nots.? This in itself is part of the issue and there?s no way crime will be substantially reduced until most of the ?have-nots? are forced to move. Or we enact a police state. I don?t believe this is any different than the situation in Hoboken 20+ years ago.

Posted on: 2006/3/4 17:46

Very negative article, almost made me want to move!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/7/19 6:39
Group:
Banned
I just finished reading the article and could not believe they were talking about my city, the article made JC sound like we have crimes happening outside our door evey hour of the day. If I were to read that article while considering moving to JC I would scratch it off my list! While the article will most likely make the police dept move a little faster than they are now (for a little while) it will also turn educated, high income people away from JC permanently.

Posted on: 2006/3/4 16:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/19 1:13
Group:
Registered Users
Two questions:

1. Dan, are you certain that Fulop is behind this article? I haven't reread it, but I don't recall his name being mentioned - just a councilman (unnamed) calling for Troy's resignation.

2. What should our councilman be doing? I think most people could reach consensus on what Healy and Troy's responsibilities are, but what should Fulop be doing as part of the effort to combat crime?

Personally, I think he should be doing more to make the area look less "lawless" - getting on the city to keep the streets clean, going after the quality of life violations like speeding, noise and double parking that give people the impression that petty crime is tolerated.

Posted on: 2006/3/4 15:54
Yes,we have no bananas.
(Silver & Cohn, 1923)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I will give Councilman Fulop credit for making noise and creating publicity (negative) on this issue. Also, shrewdly targeting Chief Troy and not Director Jefferson.

Sometimes, the only way to get something done in JC is to create escalating publicity. Results start to occur when the issue gains regional publicity and becomes embarrasing (also shedding unwanted attention).

Councilman Fulop or whomever advised him on this, hit a home run.

Posted on: 2006/3/4 15:24

Amid the Glitter, JC's Growing Pains
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/19 1:13
Group:
Registered Users
Tomorrow's NYTimes (3/5/2006) has a very lengthy article - a page and a half on the crime situation in JC. Four separate pictures of the Guardian Angels on patrol. This is the kind of article that should topple the mayor and his police commissioner and all of their cronies and hangers on.

Unfortuneately, the article is in the NJ section and will not be seen by many people considering relocating here.

Posted on: 2006/3/4 14:01
Yes,we have no bananas.
(Silver & Cohn, 1923)

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact