Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
133 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Police Brutality Allegations from Filipino Community
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 20:11
From Downtown, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_insomniac wrote:
I guess no one ever mentored that woman when she was a child, or told her "I love you."

C'mon, Newsboy, where are you? You should be all over this one!

He should at least be carrying enough money to break a hundred dollar bill. It must have been a slow night.

Posted on: 2006/4/4 21:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
I guess no one ever mentored that woman when she was a child, or told her "I love you."

C'mon, Newsboy, where are you? You should be all over this one!

Posted on: 2006/4/4 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Some people don't run to the cops or take any cabbie's crap.

---------------------------------------------------------

After the cab driver said he couldn't break a $100 bill, a young woman decided instead of paying him, she'd pull a gun on him and slash his seat with a knife, Jersey City police said.

The driver for the Journal Square Cab Company picked up a woman in Journal Square shortly before 6 a.m. yesterday, according to police reports.

He drove her to Wilkinson and Bergen avenues, police said, and the woman tried to pay with a $100 bill.

He told her he didn't have change to break the bill. A few minutes later, he said he heard the click of a gun behind him.

The woman yelled she wasn't going to pay him, slashed the seat, then left, police said. No money was taken, and the driver was not hurt.

Posted on: 2006/4/4 2:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/15 23:01
Group:
Registered Users
If the person paid a fine that means he plead guilty,what happened more then likely is he(alda) chose to plead guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for dropping the original charges.(plea bargain) I personally don't know an innocent person that accepts a plea bargain if in fact he was truly innocent, maybe that's why the local newspaper didn't report it.Any new charges that were added after the fact would have to be done by the prosecutor

Posted on: 2006/2/28 4:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/9/25 18:31
Group:
Banned
While I don't dispute that this happened or that the officers acted improperly, the fact that the race card keeps getting thrown around is ridiculous.

The kid could've been a white russian (not the drink) with a heavy accent and been asked the same thing ("Are you a terrorist?") At no other point in any of the accounts does it say anything about him being singled out because of his race in any other way than that inference.

Why can't a cop just be an a*hole without it being a race issue?

Posted on: 2006/2/28 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Newsboy wrote:
Lies, Lies

As for Alan James Alda, his charges were dismissed on February 21, and he was given a $133 fine for a ?breach of peace.?

He admitted or was found guilty.

You don't get a fine if your charges are dismissed.

Sounds like the officers acted like a bunch of jackasses. As for the charges, it could very well be that the original charges were disorderly conduct and resisting arrest -- which may have been dropped, but just to bust balls they added a new charge -- "breach of peace."

Admittedly, this is just a guess, since our esteemed press corp has done nothing to cover this.

Newsboy, seems like you would support anything the cops do, even if borderline illegal/unethical. Nice.

-M

Posted on: 2006/2/28 3:11
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Lies, Lies

Quote:
As for Alan James Alda, his charges were dismissed on February 21, and he was given a $133 fine for a ?breach of peace.?

He admitted or was found guilty.

You don't get a fine if your charges are dismissed.

Posted on: 2006/2/28 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Here's an update for those who are interested.

http://newjersey.indymedia.org/en/2006/02/9979.shtml

Posted on: 2006/2/28 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Beware of Filipino terrortists!!!

"People say, how can I help on this war against terror? How can I fight evil? You can do so by mentoring a child; by going into a shut-in's house and say I love you."

?George Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2002

Posted on: 2006/2/23 4:41
W. C. Fields

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/28 23:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Newsboy wrote:
I vote for crybabies.

3Am + fighting w/ cabbies / (drunk + fighting w/ police)=Jail

Where was the brutality anyway?

Bru?tal?i?ty

1. The state or quality of being ruthless, cruel, harsh, or unrelenting.

2. A ruthless, cruel, harsh, or unrelenting act.

Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. brutality - the trait of extreme cruelty
ferociousness, savageness, savagery, viciousness
cruelness, cruelty, harshness - the quality of being cruel and causing tension or annoyance
2. brutality - a brutal barbarous savage act
barbarism, barbarity, savagery
atrocity, inhumanity - an act of atrocious cruelty

C'mon folks, let it go.

Posted on: 2006/2/23 1:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I vote for crybabies.

3Am + fighting w/ cabbies / (drunk + fighting w/ police)=Jail

Where was the brutality anyway?

Bru?tal?i?ty

1. The state or quality of being ruthless, cruel, harsh, or unrelenting.

2. A ruthless, cruel, harsh, or unrelenting act.

Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. brutality - the trait of extreme cruelty
ferociousness, savageness, savagery, viciousness
cruelness, cruelty, harshness - the quality of being cruel and causing tension or annoyance
2. brutality - a brutal barbarous savage act
barbarism, barbarity, savagery
atrocity, inhumanity - an act of atrocious cruelty

Posted on: 2006/2/22 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Once again GWB, I recommend that you re-read my post.

Quote:
Well, if you must know, I received the press release from the organization itself. I emailed it to Mayor Healy, Steve Fulop and the JCNWA, who all have official ties with the JCPD, with my disclaimer that the press release clearly has some strong language but that my intention in forwarding the message to them is to request an investigation and an official statement from the JCPD.

"Further investigation into the incident" was precisely my intention in forwarding the email to Mayor Healy, Steve Fulop and the JCNWA.

You are the person who derailed this entire thread by insinuating that the alleged victim's connection with a "commie" group automatically discredits him. The incident involved three people, one of whom was in fact a member of the org that disseminated the press release. Why is that so surprising to you? Then you further derailed the thread by jumping to conclusions and making insinuations about me.

I agree that more information is good, essential even, which is again why I forwarded to the press release to the authorities. You on the other hand did a google search then made your own assumptions.

Also, my "clairvoyance" is based on the fact that you have never been able to engage in a debate here on JCList without resorting to personal attacks or doting on the individual. So yes, I knew you were going to focus on me and stray from the subject .

Posted on: 2006/2/22 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/14 0:06
Group:
Registered Users
Further investigation into the incident, not the group.

And as I said, I already know enough about the group, and their accusations to discount it utterly until I get some information from a reliable news source. I also don't want my name forwarded to the Commintern for future liquidation once the Worker's Paradise arrives. When that happens I'll carry my copy of the CM in my pocket just like everyone else :D

I'm not sure where it lead to, but I'm glad I've validated your belief in your own clairvoyance.

You derailed this by responding to my post, pointing out what kind of organization we were talking about here. I simply wanted that info out there so everyone would be better informed before coming to a conclusion. Apparently you would have preferred that the group not be scrutinized and instead be taken at face value. I can think of no other reason why you've responded so forcefully.

More information is good, don't you think?

GWB

Posted on: 2006/2/22 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I KNEW that's where this was going to lead to. How utterly predictable. How did this become about ME?

Just so you know, I worked for a Democratic Senator so YOU can make your own conclusion about which party I owe my loyatly to.

By the way, you completely contradict yourself here:

Quote:

... so presumably you know what kind of organization it is. You forwarded the press release around without further investigation.

As for the misspelling, I would extend you that courtesy, but really, all you needed to do was look at the subject line. But for your info, the people of the Philippine are called Filipinos (in English) or Pilipinos (in Tagalog/Pilipino). The 2 national languages are English and Pilipino (often times called Tagalog). There are absolutely no Phillipinos living anywhere on that archipelago. I am only clarifying this to you because you so eloquently underlined the need to do our research/investigation before posting or jumping to any conclusions here.

Any other questions?

EDIT: Actually, I think you should just direct your questions to the organization, because you are clearly doting way too much on me, and this thread has nothing to do with ME. If you re-read the orginal post, you will see their email address.

Posted on: 2006/2/22 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
"Phillipino hate" was not, clearly, a reference of hatred by "phillipinos". I was referring to the lack of hatred OF Filipinos.

You made the analogy and the intent was clear. You didn't make an analogy between whistleblowers at Enron and these youngsters. You made an analogy between the Jim Crow south and the JCPD. If you don't like the response, perhaps you should choose your analogies more carefully.

Philippines, Filipino. Maybe even Pilipino? A country, a person, a language. Would you forgive someone who called a Uzbek a Uzbekistani? Then extend the same courtesy to me.

I do find it interesting that not once does anyone refer to anyone involved, or even the groups involved, as "Filipino Americans". I assume that's what they are. Or maybe they're not.

Alan Alda is a member of the organization. The organization sent out the press release. You are on that organization's mailing list, so presumably you know what kind of organization it is. You forwarded the press release around without further investigation. You were not ignorant of the source, as you have cleared up. P1979 saw it on Indy Media and probably did not notice where it was from. You got it direct from the source.

So at least we know where everyone stands now. If indeed these kids were treated as they claim, heads should roll, endstop. But not based on an uncorroborated claim from some commie organization.

As far as speaking, no offense, but I'll pass. I won't even go as far as to say, Ms. JC, are you now, or have you ever been a member of the communist party? :)

Thanks

GWB

Posted on: 2006/2/22 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Well, if you must know, I received the press release from the organization itself. I emailed it to Mayor Healy, Steve Fulop and the JCNWA, who all have official ties with the JCPD, with my disclaimer that the press release clearly has some strong language but that my intention in forwarding the message to them is to request an investigation and an official statement from the JCPD.

I personally know some JCPD police officers and while I have shared my criticisms of the JCPD as a whole here on this online forum, I have done nothing but support them in real life, as evidenced by my willingness to join the neighborhood watch groups, which work in conjunction with the JCPD. So, GWD my dear, there is no jumping-to-conclusion on my part, and most certainly no "phillipino hate" toward the JCPD emanating from me or my many Fil Am friends from JC.

Any more questions for me before YOU start jumping to any more silly conclusions?

As for "equating the experience of these folks to what African Americans had to live with under slavery and Jim Crow", please re-read my post. I was making the analogy between one politically active/connected person who had bad experiences with another, and refuting your silly notion that just because Alan Alda was a member of such-and-such organization, all his actions & motives particularly surrounding this incident are automatically suspect.

By the way, it's "Filipino" not "phillipino". Might wanna look into that, too, before you "blindly" post messages on a forum without doing your research. Google is your friend, as are dictionary.com and other nifty sites.

Now, before you go any further, I suggest we speak in person, because many people here on JCList know me personally [they know my name, address and contact info] while I/we only know you as GWB. Not exactly a fair debate, especially on something that is so personal to me, and could potentially have a backlash towards me if you or anyone makes any more wrong assumptions.

Lastly, to avoid any further confusion, and I am a "she".

Posted on: 2006/2/22 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, but JC said that he/she forwarded it around after getting it in email form, which has a larger potential for circulation than this messageboard.

On that note, I wonder exactly who emailed it to JC to begin with.

GWB

Posted on: 2006/2/22 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Hey W,

I think jc_insominac didn't start this thread Pisces1979 did.

Quote:

GeorgeWBush wrote:
JC-
Everything anyone knows about this case comes from a biased "press release" that you blindly circulated without even looking into it. You say now that you're interested in learning more, but you circulated this with the intention of "getting some answers".

Thanks.

GWB

Posted on: 2006/2/22 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
JC-

Like I said- Form your own opinion. I provided in my post more information on the organization this young man is a member of. That organization ALSO is the one who wrote and disseminated the press release.

There has been absolutely no reportage by anyone anywhere outside of the press release from this organization.

I don't have to "acknowledge" that 3 men went to a precinct and somehow ended up in jail. Everything anyone knows about this case comes from a biased "press release" that you blindly circulated without even looking into it. You say now that you're interested in learning more, but you circulated this with the intention of "getting some answers".

You are the one who is jumping to conclusions.

And if you want to compare the NAACP with a communist organization, that's your choice.

Let me ask you this: Every time some outfit accuses a cop of doing something wrong, is the police department compelled to spend resources on opening a full-blown investigation?

Look at the "quote" from the offended individual. It sounds like it was lifted right out of a party pamplet of talking points. Does that sound natural to you, or what a normal person would say after an incident like this, or does it sound like a "message moment"?

Cops can be clowns like anyone else, but give me a break. Batons? Are you sure they didn't whip out water cannons and dogs too?

If this happened like these guys say it did, it is a career-ender for the officers involved. Why, because of that rampant phillipino hate that is flying around downtown?

And you should be ashamed of yourself for equating the experience of these folks to what African Americans had to live with under slavery and Jim Crow. There is no comparison. Period.

Thanks.

GWB

Posted on: 2006/2/22 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So, based on your post GWB, we should have ignored people like Rosa Parks (who I'm sure you are aware was a secretary for the NAACP -- GASP!) as "apparently not some political innocent with no agenda". In fact, hers was such a strong agenda that she repeatedly refused to sit in the back of the bus until the last well-known incident exploded in the national media and set the wheels rolling for the American CR movement.

Also, you failed to acknowledge that the 3 men in this story went to the precinct to report a cab driver and essentially ask the JCPD for help, and this is where things get hairy, for some reason was instead arrested themselves. I highly doubt that they went there with the full intention of getting arrested -- for what? So they can launch an attack on the JCPD?

My point here is this -- stop jumping to conclusions one way or another until you've heard both sides. I won't be attending Saturday's meeting because frankly I don't find the story incredible, yet I am reserving judgment until I hear an official statement and hopefully an investigation from the JCPD about this, both as a concerned JC resident and a Filipino American. There are some people on this list that have direct ties with Chief Troy and the JCPD and I really would appreciate if we could get their side. In fact, I would even attend that meeting if I knew that an official representative JCPD would be there to speak on their behalf.

Posted on: 2006/2/22 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Anakbayan:

http://members.tripod.com/~chapelnet/anakbayan.html

http://www.geocities.com/ysaklan/

http://kilusan.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=338 (nice commie graphics here)

It's some sort of communist (claims socialist, but what's with all the Commintern love) youth group.

Does that mean he didn't have a rough night? No, but he's apparently not some political innocent with no agenda.

The cops are the ones who got hoodwinked here, in my opinion. Ya'll form your own.

I guess the giveaway was how fast they were able to get a press release out. Shame on those who blindly forward this stuff out without further investigating the sources.

Thanks

GWB

Posted on: 2006/2/22 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What happened, Newsboy?

Resized Image

got your

Resized Image

?

[Sorry everyone, I couldn't resist. ]

Posted on: 2006/2/22 6:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
At least one part of the story rings true for me:
after Alda asked the Police Officers their names, he was rudely treated (well, rudely treated -- he was arrested).

Some cops just can't handle being challenged. I long ago learned that you don't ask cops for their names (in stressful, charged situations)-- you simply memorize their badge numbers.

-M

Posted on: 2006/2/22 4:59
W. C. Fields

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/11/29 19:49
Group:
Registered Users

The whole story is unfortunately not incredible.

I want to hear more about it.

If you have a problem with a cabdriver over a fare it is reasonable to attempt to deal with it as a civil matter through the Police. I've seen JCPD handle such "small" matters both professionally and also incredibly poorly. I'm not surprised at all by this story. Our Police Department is very inconsistent and leans toward the unprofessional and more importantly seems to be proud of that. That's the reality.

Newsboy deserves to be ignored.

Posted on: 2006/2/22 4:15

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/10/23 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
newsboy, exploiting the death of a JC P.O. does not make the point I think your subsequent posting was making. His death was a tragedy.
a lame attempt at inserting text from an article dated in '05 does not explain your reasoning.
also, i am not so familiar with the terrorist groups in the phillipines...explain your point, with relavance to JCPD.
but i am familiar w/my ('other') country having citizens labeled as terrorist in the past, and in understanding their goals, i am hesitant in my accusations

Posted on: 2006/2/22 3:18

Re: Filipino Terrorists

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/15 4:12
From Formerly of Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Newsboy wrote:
Filipino terrorists click here....BOOM

Filipino terrorists gearing up for campaign
By Connie Levett Herald Correspondent in Bangkok
June 18, 2005

A radical organisation of Christian converts to Islam with close links to the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group has emerged in the Philippines, raising fears of a new cycle of terrorist attacks, possibly suicide bombings.

The most senior Philippine security official sounded the alert as the Government set up a taskforce to investigate intelligence that Jemaah Islamiah and Abu Sayyaf are recruiting suicide bombers in the country's south.

The new intelligence suggests the two terrorist groups are also recruiting disaffected members of another group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, which is involved in peace negotiations with the national government.

"Abu Sayyaf has succeeded in networking itself with Jemaah Islamiah and even al-Qaeda," said Norberto Gonzales, national security adviser to President Gloria Arroyo. "Rajah Sulaiman group is an organisation of Christian converts that has established links to Abu Sayyaf [and] its operation is under the control of Abu Sayyaf."

Suicide bombings had been used by Jemaah Islamiah but were rare for Filipino terrorist groups, he said. "In the case of the converts, we are looking at this seriously. Martyrdom is very strong in the Catholic faith," he said, speaking of potential suicide bomber recruits. Abu Sayyaf appeared focused on the cleansing of infidels, and there "will be new attempts at conversion".

The Rajas Sulaiman Group claimed responsibility for bombing the SuperFerry 14 in Manila Harbour on February 26 last year, killing more than 100 people. The group member Redondo Cain Delloso is in jail awaiting trial for the bombing.

Mr Gonzales told the Herald the role of Filipino terrorists had historically been to provide training venues, not to export terrorists. But recent intelligence on marine terrorism from those in custody suggests this may be changing. It claims Jemaah Islamiah and Abu Sayyaf members are being trained in scuba diving in preparation for attacks on ships.

Mr Gonzales said fewer than 10 people were understood to be involved in the plot. "So far, all the operations we have uncovered were done by very small cells.

"In the past we always thought bombings were connected to some of the things we did domestically, but we are now looking at an international extension, at a new global phenomenon."

?? So are you posting this to say that the JCPD 1)racially profiled Alan Alda (ok, it's hard to type that and not laugh) and 2) were right to do so given the situation?

Posted on: 2006/2/22 2:40

Re: Filipino Terrorists
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/2/23 16:05
Group:
Registered Users
mm, again, what's the point exactly? we could post links to articles about all types of terrorist fringe groups from all over- Irish Republican Army, Basque groups, American Militia groups, etc. but what is your point, officer?

Posted on: 2006/2/22 2:20

Filipino Terrorists
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Filipino terrorists click here....BOOM

Filipino terrorists gearing up for campaign
By Connie Levett Herald Correspondent in Bangkok
June 18, 2005

A radical organisation of Christian converts to Islam with close links to the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group has emerged in the Philippines, raising fears of a new cycle of terrorist attacks, possibly suicide bombings.

The most senior Philippine security official sounded the alert as the Government set up a taskforce to investigate intelligence that Jemaah Islamiah and Abu Sayyaf are recruiting suicide bombers in the country's south.

The new intelligence suggests the two terrorist groups are also recruiting disaffected members of another group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, which is involved in peace negotiations with the national government.

"Abu Sayyaf has succeeded in networking itself with Jemaah Islamiah and even al-Qaeda," said Norberto Gonzales, national security adviser to President Gloria Arroyo. "Rajah Sulaiman group is an organisation of Christian converts that has established links to Abu Sayyaf [and] its operation is under the control of Abu Sayyaf."

Suicide bombings had been used by Jemaah Islamiah but were rare for Filipino terrorist groups, he said. "In the case of the converts, we are looking at this seriously. Martyrdom is very strong in the Catholic faith," he said, speaking of potential suicide bomber recruits. Abu Sayyaf appeared focused on the cleansing of infidels, and there "will be new attempts at conversion".

The Rajas Sulaiman Group claimed responsibility for bombing the SuperFerry 14 in Manila Harbour on February 26 last year, killing more than 100 people. The group member Redondo Cain Delloso is in jail awaiting trial for the bombing.

Mr Gonzales told the Herald the role of Filipino terrorists had historically been to provide training venues, not to export terrorists. But recent intelligence on marine terrorism from those in custody suggests this may be changing. It claims Jemaah Islamiah and Abu Sayyaf members are being trained in scuba diving in preparation for attacks on ships.

Mr Gonzales said fewer than 10 people were understood to be involved in the plot. "So far, all the operations we have uncovered were done by very small cells.

"In the past we always thought bombings were connected to some of the things we did domestically, but we are now looking at an international extension, at a new global phenomenon."

Posted on: 2006/2/22 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
RIP, P.O. Domenick Infantes.

Now, what's your point exactly, Newsboy?

Posted on: 2006/2/22 1:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2006/2/22 1:04