Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
62 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 62

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Pregnant in JC

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/24 2:27
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone have any opinion of Dr. McQuilkin in Hoboken?

Posted on: 2009/8/4 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/6/12 3:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papapotato wrote:
Another thing I also wanted to add -- the sadness about JC hospitals!!! Why are they so bad! When I used the JC Medical Center, it was a huge mess and I was bounced back and forth. Big waste of time and got no meaningful result (largely due to the student doctor assigned to me and he didn't even know how to collect info from ordinary medical records I brought from another hospital - but those resident doctors are supposed to be well supervised by the attending doctor, which didn't seem/feel like the case there!!!) A similar experience in the Christ Hospital in the ER... sigh.

I have seen worse conditions in third world countries, but it's pretty bad here.

You can get to St Vincent's by taking the PATH to 9th st and walking up Greenwich.

If it's serious enough to go to the hospital, it's serious enough to go to a halfway decent one.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

breeder wrote:
oh yeah - my ob, Dr mark brescia is excellent and my pediatricans office - dr's arkus and politos is also great. open 7 days, sick kids come in right away, well room, sick room etc....

I had Dr. F. Arkus has been in business for over 40 years and in the same location for the last 30 years up in the Heights next to the gas station.
3526 John F Kennedy Blvd
Jersey City , New Jersey 07307
Phone: (201) 653-5933.

Posted on: 2009/7/22 13:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/26 3:45
Group:
Registered Users
oh yeah - my ob, Dr mark brescia is excellent and my pediatricans office - dr's arkus and politos is also great. open 7 days, sick kids come in right away, well room, sick room etc....

Posted on: 2009/7/22 2:58

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/26 3:45
Group:
Registered Users
This is my first time posting> I felt compelled by the thread. I've delivered all my children at hoboken Uni. hosp and had wonderful, dare i say - enjoyable - experiences. I needed medical intervention with each delivery, and even with that addition, I cant complain a bit. Good luck and congratulations!

Posted on: 2009/7/22 2:55

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/8/11 7:32
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks much for sharing this story! It sounds incredible you made it to the doctor's office and the hospital by public transportation and foot in rain - it sounds like an ordeal. I may pass out in your shoes but am glad it all worked out ; ) I'll keep your story in mind as a chance in choosing a NYC hospital.

Posted on: 2009/7/20 12:51

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/15 3:56
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
I had two kids, both born in NYU Hospital while living in Jersey City. In my opinion, it's do-able (my OB is associated with NYU, and it is a pain to track out every month / week for the monthly / weekly visits, but I feel more comfortable than anyone I could find locally).

My first son was delivered on a saturday - it was easy to call for a car at 8am on Saturday and we got to NYU in less than 30 mins.

My second son was born on a rainy friday morning, and that was interesting. My labor started at 8am, and at 9am, after speaking with my OB, we decided that I should go to the office. I tried calling for car service, but it was a 30-min wait just to get a car, and given the rain, and rush hour, we decided it was not worthwhile. I took the PATH train, and then the subway all the way to 32nd street where the office was (and that was the first time I got offered seats on the trains throughout this pregnancy). And then from the office, I walked to NYU (about 5 min) in the rain. Not too bad - definitely a story to tell my son when he's older (should probably have my husband snap some pictures too).

I guess we could have taken the ferry too (instead of PATH to get into the city).

Good luck!

Posted on: 2009/7/18 15:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Another thing I also wanted to add -- the sadness about JC hospitals!!! Why are they so bad! When I used the JC Medical Center, it was a huge mess and I was bounced back and forth. Big waste of time and got no meaningful result (largely due to the student doctor assigned to me and he didn't even know how to collect info from ordinary medical records I brought from another hospital - but those resident doctors are supposed to be well supervised by the attending doctor, which didn't seem/feel like the case there!!!) A similar experience in the Christ Hospital in the ER... sigh.

Posted on: 2009/7/17 15:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the info, tips and recommendations. It's very helpful and I have to agree that the post natal ward doesn't provide you with attention you need in many places compared to the labor unit - in big cities. I may be too cautious but some doctors, like Dr. Helpern or Dr. Goodstain, are said to have no verified board certification according to Aetna's website, but I'm glad to know that they also do the job fine in case you happen to have them in delivering the baby. Thanks so much again to all of you. I feel now quite armed with good OBs info!

Posted on: 2009/7/17 14:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/26 19:59
Group:
Registered Users
I have to second the recommendation for Dr. Wong. I haven't had a baby yet but saw Halpern for regular GYN visits for a while. Once she was out and I saw Wong instead, and I was really impressed...he was very attentive, caring, and took a lot of time to talk to me in his office to answer my questions. Halpern is nice enough but a bit blah, which I find off-putting when you're feeling anxious.

Posted on: 2009/7/16 19:12

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/6 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
I had my daughter at NY Downtown last year. I'm due in Oct. and plan to have my second daughter there as well. My Dr. was Dr. Halpern from Downtown OBGYN Assoc., she was OK, but she happened to be on vacation when I delivered, so Dr. Wong (from same practice) delivered my daughter. He is AWESOME, I switched to him as my OBGYN since, and he is going to deliver my 2nd. I had lots of prejudices of having a male OBGYN, but he is really great. The most attentive and patient doc I've ever had. I highly recommend him.
NY Downtown is not a great looking hospital, but the delivery rooms have gone renovation in the last few years, and are not bad at all. The staff is pretty nice too. In every hospital, you will find that your experience in the delivery room will probably be better than your experience in the maternity ward afterward. We want just a little more care and attention after giving birth, but you won't get that in NY. Maybe in a small town hospital you would.
The best thing for me at NY Downtown was that they have a lactation educator on site, who came and spent several hours with me the morning after birth. That was truly great, it got me and my daughter on the right path to breastfeeding and she was available by phone for consultations afterward.
Getting to NYDowntown from JC is not bad. we actually ended up driving right during rush hour and it didn't take too long. you will have to park in a garage which can be a little costly, but it's easy and you don't have to worry about street parking.
Another thing I liked about NY downtown is that the practice is right there in the hospital, and the labs and everything, you don't have to go to different places during your pregnancy.
Good luck!

Posted on: 2009/7/16 17:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/2 14:49
Group:
Registered Users
I had a baby in February and used Spring OBGYN and NYU hospital. I was very happy with both. Like someone said previously NYU is not that pretty to look at and very busy, but the staff was really good and I didn't have an issue with overcrowding. I wanted to give NJ Medical a shot since it is so close to my house and tried to do a tour, but the midwife there who was going to show me around never returned my calls after I showed up one day and she was busy. I just got a very bad vibe from the place.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 17:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/5/20 20:55
Group:
Registered Users
p.s. I think it was noted previously, but there appears to be a baby boom in Manhattan. As I mentioned I switched insurance, so I had to find a new doctor. Very few accepting new OB patients.....

Posted on: 2009/7/15 15:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Highly recommend Downtown Women OBGYN. They are on Broadway in Soho.....My Doctor was Dr. Lajoie. Wonderful. She didn't deliver my son, Dr. Goodstein and the wonderful Staff Doctor delivered him. I know they accept Aetna because that WAS my insurance....We have since switched, and I had to switch doctors. Not happy about that! I actually considered paying out of pocket until I realized that was silly:o)

Posted on: 2009/7/15 15:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for your info and recommendation! Really appreciated.

Aetna (my insurance) has a list of doctors who are affiliated w NYU Hospitals (Tisch) and are in Aetna's network. But of course I'm interested in specific doctors' names if there's someone affiliated with the hospital and recommended by existing patients. Thanks again!

Posted on: 2009/7/15 15:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I live in JC and had my son in the City... (Downtown Women too! They are the best!!!!) Hospitals in the City far-superior. If you really prefer Jersey, I would recommend Hackensack.

Don?t worry so-much about getting there in time if you do choose the City. I mean, there is absolutely the chance that you will hit traffic, but that can happen anywhere. I had to rush, myself. We took car service, and they got me there in no time at all....NYU is not luxurious, but the nurses and the staff were absolutely wonderful.....It?s also right off the FDR, so it?s fairly easy to get there by car (which I assume you would do while in labor).

I also recommend Weill-Cornell. I believe they have a maternity ward in the NY Downtown Hospital now (that?s right over the river near the Seaport...the old Beekman hospital). I believe it?s on William Street.

I would NOT recommend Jersey City doctors or hospitals. I?ve lived here all my life, and you couldn?t pay me to get non-emergency medical care here.....

Christ just threw out a stillborn baby a few months back....In the garbage. They had to dig through a landfill to find it....

Posted on: 2009/7/15 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/16 16:22
From beneath the jumping sheep
Group:
Registered Users
Have you picked an OB/GYN yet?

My old neighbor delivered her baby at St. Mary's last year and had nothing but wonderful things to say about her doctor and the hospital. I can't remember the name of the doctor, but his office is located in the hospital.

Another friend had her baby at NYU and was also very happy with her experience there. Her doctor was with Downtown Women's OB/GYN.

Posted on: 2009/7/15 6:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papapotato wrote:
I'm currently urgently looking to decide which hospital I'd like to deliver my 3rd child (& with which doctor affiliated to the hospital I decide). We just moved to Jersey City (from an overseas assignment) and this will be my first time to give birth in the area. I'm debating among: NY Downtown Hospital, NYU Hospital (in lower Manhattan), St. Vincent, Beth Israel, and perhaps Hoboken Univ Hospital (St. Mary's). I've read this thread to date but if anyone has more recent comments on how the delivery and hospital stay experiences are in these hospitals, I'd much appreciate your info.

Based on this thread in 2007, St. Mary's sounds nice both from the distance and comfort point of views but from my history, I may not have a completely low risk delivery and therefore I debate it myself if that will be a good choice.

Based on the ease of getting to the hospital (in case of emergency), I thought NY Downtown Hospital and St. Vincent would be good but does anyone know how it is these days to give birth and stay in these hospitals?

NYU Hosp and Beth Israel are on the east side, and in addition to the Holland Tunnel, my guess is that crossing over from the west side would be a nightmare in case of traffic.

On any of these points, I'd appreciate more recent input! Thanks!!

NYU is an excellent hospital and my sisters who have children ranging from 1 to 25 all were born at NYU.

St Vincents is a great trauma hospital, but if there were a medical emergency/ complications with a pregnancy I suggest NYU.

Do you have an OB/GYN (obstetrician) and which hospital(s) he or she affiliated with?

Posted on: 2009/7/15 4:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm currently urgently looking to decide which hospital I'd like to deliver my 3rd child (& with which doctor affiliated to the hospital I decide). We just moved to Jersey City (from an overseas assignment) and this will be my first time to give birth in the area. I'm debating among: NY Downtown Hospital, NYU Hospital (in lower Manhattan), St. Vincent, Beth Israel, and perhaps Hoboken Univ Hospital (St. Mary's). I've read this thread to date but if anyone has more recent comments on how the delivery and hospital stay experiences are in these hospitals, I'd much appreciate your info.

Based on this thread in 2007, St. Mary's sounds nice both from the distance and comfort point of views but from my history, I may not have a completely low risk delivery and therefore I debate it myself if that will be a good choice.

Based on the ease of getting to the hospital (in case of emergency), I thought NY Downtown Hospital and St. Vincent would be good but does anyone know how it is these days to give birth and stay in these hospitals?

NYU Hosp and Beth Israel are on the east side, and in addition to the Holland Tunnel, my guess is that crossing over from the west side would be a nightmare in case of traffic.

On any of these points, I'd appreciate more recent input! Thanks!!

Posted on: 2009/7/15 3:46

Re: Ob/Gyn and a place to deliver a baby
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Amen to that. My child is alive because I was at NY Hospital.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
I've probably said this before, but it's worth repeating. Because you never know what might happen during birth (or after), you want to make sure you're in a hospital with a top rated NICU (neo-natal intensive care unit) and ob/gyn surgical team.

Small local hospitals, while convenient and cozy, just don't have the facilities and skilled docs that larger NYC or equipped NJ hospitals (like Hackensack) have.

After two births, both with unexpected delivery outcomes, I was glad to be at a larger, baby-centric facility (NYU and then Hackensack). I thought Hackensack was the better of the two.

Good luck with your search.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 18:31

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/7/9 16:09
Group:
Registered Users
I recommend Dr Alice Kim who is part of WestCare Medical group practise. I live in Jersey City, but work in Midtown, so the office in UWS was quite convinient. Dr Kim was great with me through a difficult labor and helped with a natural delivery.
This group is affiliated with Roosevelt hospital, which had excellent facilities, friendly staff and most importantly an excellent NICU. I hadn't expected to need the NICU (who does?), but I was greatful that my baby could get immediate attention, since its right across from the labor rooms.
Its nice to have a private room and other comforts, but even better to have the right care.

Posted on: 2009/4/20 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/25 16:52
Group:
Banned
I heard good things about Dr Woroch and his son Dr Woroch, in JC @ Liberty. We are going to go see them and inspect their unit in the next week or two. Any thoughts here would be welcomed...
thanks

Posted on: 2009/4/20 17:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/8 2:02
Group:
Registered Users
If you are looking for any kind of a natural (unmedicated) birth experiece, I would NOT recommend Hackensack. My daughter was born there and I found the majority of the nursing staff to be downright rude when I told them I did not want the epidural and had discussed this previously with my OB. Also, you are hooked up to an IV as soon as you get there. There was so much pressure for me to get an epidural that I did end up with one and did not have a good experience with it. I wasn't totally opposed to getting one, but I wanted to keep my options open in the early stages of labor. Also, their C-section rates are incredibly high...not that this is scientific in any way, but of all my friends who delivered there, I am the only one who did not have a section.

Yes, there are private rooms with plasma TVs & the food is good, but that's not really the priority for most women in labor or with a newborn. Also, even with the private room, it was loud and they were unaccomodating to visitors. My husband was not able to stay overnight. Then they insisted on keeping my daughter for jaundice and sent me home after two days. Her pediatrican as well as other docs I have subsequently spoken with said that it was totally unnecessary given her bilirubin levels. In the future I plan to switch to Brescia/Mig. as I've heard that they are much more open (as are St. Mary's, Palisades and Meadowlands Hospitals) to respecting the requests that their patients make.

And I was 34 when my daughter was born, so not sure how that plays out in terms of being considered "higher risk", but I think that's more for the pregnancy & possible risks to the baby for women of "advanced age" than the delivery.

Posted on: 2009/2/20 14:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2010/4/19 18:29
Group:
Registered Users
I had both of my kids at Hackensack University Medical Center and I agree that it is an amazing place to deliver. What other hospital do you know of that lets you order meals off a menu like room service!

Posted on: 2009/2/20 1:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
2011/4/17 20:12
Group:
Registered Users
I'm currently expecting and due in August '09.

I live in Jersey City and work in Bergen County. After a lot of research, we decided I will deliver at Hackensack University Medical Center.

My female OB-GYNs, who have an office in Hackensack and are affiliated with the hospital are: Dr. Irani, Dr. Chait, and Dr. Del Rosario. (They also have offices in Rutherford & Ramsey.)

My experiece with Hackensack and my three Dr's have been excellent so far. Hackensack is ranked in the top 50 in the United States where as the JC hospitals are ranked at the bottom of the list for hospital rankings just within NJ.

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2009/2/19 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/9 20:03
Group:
Registered Users
If you are looking at Bergen County I have the perfect obgyns for you. Comprehensive Women's Care on South Van Brundt St. in Englewood. You will see Dr. Jaffe, Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schlossberg and Dr.Patrusky. They are all really smart, well trained at first-rate med schools and professional. I would recommend seeing Dr. Friedman for your initial visit as he will take the most time with you to discuss any concerns you might have. ( phone number is 201-871-4346.)

I saw them for two pregnancies and I delivered my two daughters at Englewood Hospital. I was actually registered at Hackensack, but Dr. Jaffe insisited that I go to Englewood. I'm glad he did because it was exceptional. The labor and delivery staff was first rate and there was no shortage of nurses. My first daughter was a little skinny and had trouble eating. The pediatrician would not release her until she had a wet diaper ( shows that the baby's not dehydrated). The hospital kept me in my private room where my husband also stayed on a pull-out sofa for a full day after insurance stopped paying for me. Not only did they not bill me, but they fed me and my husband and continued to treat me as a patient the whole time. Mom and baby got off to a bumpy start, and I was so glad that I was at that hospital with my husband allowed to remain there the whole time.

They also connected me to my pediatrician - Dr. Schaumberger of Tenafly Pediatrics. He's also fantastic.

Posted on: 2009/2/18 1:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown Women ObGYN - in Soho. Delivery at NYU....They were wonderful , and I had a great experience at NYU. If you can't get to Hackensack, you really should do the City. Otherwise, you are taking a gamble....

Posted on: 2009/2/17 21:52

Looking for an OBGYN?

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/5/15 15:50
Group:
Registered Users
I am looking into getting a new OBGYN doctor in the downtown area, does anyone know of any who they can confidently say they like and would recommend to others? I would prefer a female doctor and one who as an affiliation with the Jersey City Medical Center.

Posted on: 2009/2/17 1:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/3/2 15:44
Group:
Registered Users
+1 for Dr. Mig in Hoboken!

I was a very high risk pregnancy and delivery for multiple reasons and the doctors and nurses in that practice are absolutely wonderful.

Posted on: 2009/2/14 1:45

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017