Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 15 »

Re: OPEN JERSEY AVENUE TO LIBERTY STATE PARK!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
No- actually the traffic backs up before the Columbus exit Thursday and Friday...at least these days with the shutdown.

Secondly, how can you be sure without the street there? Don't you also think people would feel more comfortable walking late at night on a street than on a desolate path?

Posted on: 2014/6/27 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
As someone who works in the burbs this bridge would be a blessing.

Why, aren't you reverse commuting and thus avoiding traffic bad enough to warrant avoiding the Columbus Tpk exit?

Quote:
A prospective B-L tenant/owner might save Uber costs with the bridge and be willing to move onto the next frontier.

Far upthread I proved with a map this argument is bullshit. The distance is the same as via Pacific.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 17:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Only thing I would change about Jersey Avenue at the moment is, I would like to see it cleaned up with a little more landscaping. It's a little "raw" at the moment and the bridge connecting Jersey Ave to LSP could use a little TLC. put in a couple of tall trees/shrubs, get rid of the junk that's been abandoned there and maybe put in a few solar street lights (in case people are walking back around dusk, it's not too dark. Maybe even get a few volunteers from JC to invest their time into doing so?

LSP is a wonderful park and a real asset to the area, we should definitely make it more pedestrian friendly as access by car is pretty decent.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 17:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
As someone who works in the burbs this bridge would be a blessing.

I live in DTJC. I have the right to drive through it. I'm sure people who live in Van Vorst drive through the northern part of downtown (which I'd rather than be the ones biking down the sidewalk nearly every single day including right past the bike path on Manila).

The reality is also that DTJC is not really connected to the rest of the city, with the exception of Newark Ave, Montgomery, and Grand. If we want to be inclusive- you build the bridge.

A prospective B-L tenant/owner might save Uber costs with the bridge and be willing to move onto the next frontier.

The city can't just make life hell for car owners when the PATH and HBLR don't reach the entire city and aren't exactly rated highly in availability, or in the case of the HBLR, safety at off hours.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/6/25 16:35

Re: Why are there surveyors working at the end of Jersey Avenue today?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Histrionics = your last paragraph. I never mentioned the Pulaski (other than indirectly as a traffic mitigation option) or the Port Authority.

My "claim" is supported by the fact that until the end of last year, I was the deputy mayor tasked with overseeing economic development and infrastructure. The bridge to the park falls into the latter category. The head of the DPW and I were actively involved in negotiations with the state that were begun by Rosemary McFadden in her capacity as Mayor Healy's chief of staff. Government (city, state, federal) is involved in all sorts of things that haven't come to fruition yet that aren't in your newspaper, although many of the articles about the Christie/Fulop flap mention "meetings and projects." This was certainly one of those projects. My guess is that since there was/is still hope the state would work something out on this project once the pettiness ended, that the mayor chose not to mention this one in particular.

So that's who I am. Who are you?

Monroe

Your allegation that Christie pulled the plug on a Jersey Avenue extension because Fulop wouldn't endorse him remains totally unsubstantiated, and unreported by anyone other than you. Somehow a room full of Fulop employees would have reported this to the press after the traffic cone 'scandal'. Is it your opinion? I guess so. Is it supported by facts? No.

Frankly, given the vast opposition to this project by neighborhood stakeholders (for many good reasons-adding traffic to a street that has Light Rail crossings often, normal and emergency vehicles entering and exiting a busy hospital, an intersection that borders a big JC school, a Light Rail stop across from said hospital) it would seem local opposition would be on the 'anti' side with or without Christie approval.

Or were back door deals being done by JC to circumvent the vast neighborhood opposition? Why waste JC taxpayer money on plans that didn't have community support?

In any case, the 'Christie pulled the plug on it for political reasons' claim is hollow. Of course, now that supposedly NJ is under investigation for tying the Skyway repairs to the Port Authority funding stream you may have dodged a bullet-I guess Fulop would also be under investigation for being a partner to this if the Jersey Ave extension was approved with this funding!

Posted on: 2014/6/25 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Histrionics = your last paragraph. I never mentioned the Pulaski (other than indirectly as a traffic mitigation option) or the Port Authority.

My "claim" is supported by the fact that until the end of last year, I was the deputy mayor tasked with overseeing economic development and infrastructure. The bridge to the park falls into the latter category. The head of the DPW and I were actively involved in negotiations with the state that were begun by Rosemary McFadden in her capacity as Mayor Healy's chief of staff. Government (city, state, federal) is involved in all sorts of things that haven't come to fruition yet that aren't in your newspaper, although many of the articles about the Christie/Fulop flap mention "meetings and projects." This was certainly one of those projects. My guess is that since there was/is still hope the state would work something out on this project once the pettiness ended, that the mayor chose not to mention this one in particular.

So that's who I am. Who are you?

Monroe

Posted on: 2014/6/25 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
I'm stating as fact something I was in the room for and involved in the discussions. I really don't concern myself with your Christie histrionics and the poor persecution that man is forced to endure (sarcasm.) Just sharing my experience. What you choose to believe or listen to is just that, your choice.

'My histrionics'? I'm not the one making up stories.

First you said you may have read it somewhere, but can't or haven't looked (we have this thing called Google) for it to corroborate your 'claim'.

Now you were 'in the room' and involved with 'the' discussions. Which room? Which discussions? The one where Christie said 'pull the plug because Fulop won't endorse me'? No one else in the 'room' has brought this story forth, even though it would be really juicy meat for the Christie haters if true.

Or the room where the state of NJ, the Port Authority, and JC were planning to add this bit of pork to the Pulaski Skyway repair program?

Posted on: 2014/6/25 11:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
I'm stating as fact something I was in the room for and involved in the discussions. I really don't concern myself with your Christie histrionics and the poor persecution that man is forced to endure (sarcasm.) Just sharing my experience. What you choose to believe or listen to is just that, your choice.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 2:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Really? I've never heard a word of your allegation. Amazingly, after all the unproven allegations surrounding Christie and Fulop this is one I've missed. Care to find a link to a story that confirms what you're saying?

Why would you have heard of it? They were conversations between the city administration(s) and the Turnpike Authority. Lots of things that get discussed never make it into the newspaper (although I'm pretty sure I remember reading in one of the hundreds of articles about the Fulop/Christie canceled meetings that mentioned the cancelation of the bridge.)

Tbird, you're stating as a fact something that seems to appear only in another Christie bashing wet dream. Unless you can quote a source, or show your math, it's just that-another attempt at Christie bashing. And, amusingly, if by any wild chance it was done and completed, it would now be criticized by the Christie bashers as part of the Skyway Port Authority money diversion scam! Heads you win, tails Christie loses!

Posted on: 2014/6/25 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Really? I've never heard a word of your allegation. Amazingly, after all the unproven allegations surrounding Christie and Fulop this is one I've missed. Care to find a link to a story that confirms what you're saying?

Why would you have heard of it? They were conversations between the city administration(s) and the Turnpike Authority. Lots of things that get discussed never make it into the newspaper (although I'm pretty sure I remember reading in one of the hundreds of articles about the Fulop/Christie canceled meetings that mentioned the cancelation of the bridge.)

Posted on: 2014/6/25 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Funny you should bring this up. The extension was teed up and ready to go, fully funded with state $ a year ago but Christie killed it during the "Fulop wouldn't endorse" debacle.

Please link to something that shows where that actually happened, because the last thing I can find was that JC wanted Federal money from Obama, not state money from Christie.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_wants_federal_fund.html

That's an article from 2011. I'm talking about last summer. The previous administration had begun discussions with the Turnpike Authority to get the bridge built as part of the Skyway traffic mitigation plan. Progress continued under the new administration to the point where the state had verbally agreed to terms and then.... no endorsement. No bridge.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Funny you should bring this up. The extension was teed up and ready to go, fully funded with state $ a year ago but Christie killed it during the "Fulop wouldn't endorse" debacle.

Please link to something that shows where that actually happened, because the last thing I can find was that JC wanted Federal money from Obama, not state money from Christie.

That's an article from 2011. I'm talking about last summer. The previous administration had begun discussions with the Turnpike Authority to get the bridge built as part of the Skyway traffic mitigation plan. Progress continued under the new administration to the point where the state had verbally agreed to terms and then.... no endorsement. No bridge.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Who would this benefit exactly? Out of towners who are afraid of taking a train? People coming from points north (Heights, Hoboken, Weehawken) who are too lazy to take the Light Rail for $2?

Does ANYONE take the light rail to go to LSP?

I do, sometimes. It's a very long walk from parts of downtown. A pedestrian bridge further east would alleviate that massively, but I understand it would have to be quite high to accomodate the marina.*

*Though, frankly, screw the marina. It's ugly and poorly maintained and refuses to integrate with the streetscape in downtown.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Who would this benefit exactly? Out of towners who are afraid of taking a train? People coming from points north (Heights, Hoboken, Weehawken) who are too lazy to take the Light Rail for $2?

Only people who don't have cars. On the other hand, I think it'll be a good bit more of an increase in traffic than I originally thought, once I factored in people commuting on the NJ Turnpike who may want to exit at the Liberty Science Center exit, make a quick right then a left onto Phillips and zoom right across Jersey Avenue into downtown.

Posted on: 2014/6/25 0:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/25 0:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
While it may increase traffic a bit near VVP, it will lessen it along Pacific and Johnston, so the net result will balance overall. And the Light Rail is a good mile walk from the waterfront, historic railway, Empty Sky memorial, and Statue of Liberty boat departure-not ideal for most visitors.

As I said, I wouldn't want it if I lived by VVP either. Should be interesting to see how the neighborhood reacts if this is indeed what may be happening.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 22:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Something that saves even more gas and pollution is taking public transportation or riding a bike to the park :)

The money should be used elsewhere. Jersey City should follow what every other city in America is (finally) doing and investing less in infrastructure for vehicle drivers.

The Van Vorst Park area simply cannot handle an additional load of traffic. Honestly this would be really bad.

The only JC residents in favor of this are the B-L crowd who are deluded when they think this will reduce morning traffic on Pacific from commuters using the park to avoid exit 14c traffic. Their traffic will remain, but a new massive stream will be coming up Jersey to the already disastrous intersection with Grand. I predict they'll gridlock the HBLR crossing.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Something that saves even more gas and pollution is taking public transportation or riding a bike to the park :)

The money should be used elsewhere. Jersey City should follow what every other city in America is (finally) doing and investing less in infrastructure for vehicle drivers.

The Van Vorst Park area simply cannot handle an additional load of traffic. Honestly this would be really bad.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Really bad news for noise and traffic on Jersey Ave. They better put up those "No honking, $xxx Fine" signs around Van Vorst Park. Is it really problematic for those people that drive to the park, to drive down Grand to Pacific? Massive waste of money that doesn't benefit many JC residents.

It's a very logical thing to do, saves gas, pollution, and time-but I wouldn't be in favor if I was a VVP resident either. There will be a lot of NIMBY response if this gets traction.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 21:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Really bad news for noise and traffic on Jersey Ave. They better put up those "No honking, $xxx Fine" signs around Van Vorst Park. Is it really problematic for those people that drive to the park, to drive down Grand to Pacific? Massive waste of money that doesn't benefit many JC residents.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:

Posted on: 2014/6/24 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/6/24 21:02

Why are there surveyors working at the end of Jersey Avenue today?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Zipping by on my bike, I asked 'Are they finally extending Jersey Avenue to Liberty State Park?' and was answered by 'They're looking at it'.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 15:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, we were in the southern part of the Park yesterday and it's still mostly blocked off hence my question-last week they said it would be until the end of the year before the Walkway was fully repaired, hence my question. I'm still trying to find out when the Port Liberte section will be re-opened though.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
The bridge is open and the sidewalks along the waterfront are reopened... they are setting up the Polo field and Tents for the la-di-da Polo event that used to happen over on Governors Island... kind of ironic, taking down barriers that were on the water walk ways and now putting up chain link fences over the acreage that was previously open to public...
[url=http://www.vcpoloclassic.com/]]

How far south are the sidewalks repaired?

The Terminal dockside is not quite repaired but it looks like the boat dock farthest south and that walkway along the cove where people fish (previously closed) are open all the way past Ellis guard station to where the polo grounds are setting up. New benches etc. They have not opened walkway to War Memorial park, but they were working on it... if you ride right up to that side walk barrier there is a road/path that will take you past Polo and out to main street where you can connect to southern part of park... it was being used as staging area, but Park Police did not stop me using to access street.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
The bridge is open and the sidewalks along the waterfront are reopened... they are setting up the Polo field and Tents for the la-di-da Polo event that used to happen over on Governors Island... kind of ironic, taking down barriers that were on the water walk ways and now putting up chain link fences over the acreage that was previously open to public...

How far south are the sidewalks repaired?

Posted on: 2013/5/30 23:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Well, at least public open space is being used for something the common man can really enjoy. Common woman, too.

Posted on: 2013/5/30 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/30 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
I have a Garmin map of me running over the bridge into the park, just to prove it's really open, but I don't know how to paste it in here. : (

Posted on: 2013/5/26 22:18

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 15 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017