Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
105 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 105

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 15 »

Re: OPEN JERSEY AVENUE TO LIBERTY STATE PARK!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Please do not get suckered in by Healy. If you check your calendar it is two weeks before the May 14th election. Hopefully since parkman said he actually saw the pieces of the new bridge it will be put in place?..eventually.

This is our Journal Square heartbreak. Notice the date April 7 , 2009 about a month before the May , 2009 election.

Construction on Journal Square mega-project to begin by end of year, officials say
By The Jersey Journal The Jersey Journal
on April 07, 2009 at 11:01 AM,
updated April 07, 2009 at 11:44 AM
Construction on the $500 million Journal Square twin towers project will begin before the end of the year, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy and other officials said at a news conference this morning.
Dozens of union workers stood shoulder to shoulder with city workers and politicians as the city trumpeted the demolition of the last buildings at the corner of Sip and Bergen avenues. The biggest cheers came when the mayor announced that the entire project would be built by union workers.

Healy promised 800 construction jobs for the site, with 160 going to Jersey City residents through the city's project-labort agreement.
As representatives from the Multi-Employer Property Trust (MEPT) and Lowell Harwood, the chief developers, spoke, rubble from the demolition was still being removed from the site.
Liz Opacity, a spokeswoman for the project, said the mixed-use development, which will include 1,615 rental units, 70,000 square feet of retail space and a rooftop terrace on top of a parking garage, would take three years to complete once construction started.

This is why we voted for Healy back in 2009 (before the Team Healy 2009 corruption news broke)

Resized Image

He got our vote and we got the ?scab? of Journal Square four years and counting.

Resized Image

Make sure you all go out and Vote for Fulop on May 14th.
(please do it for all of the JSq people who were fooled by the fool)

Posted on: 2013/5/2 14:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/4 12:11
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
In the end, this bridge getting washed away was probably a blessing in disguise. That old footbridge was a tetanus shot waiting to happen.

Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
Great - it's about time!! It doesn't look like ANY prep work has started, but that should only be a few days work and several more to put the bridge in place and install it. Hopefully it will be ready in 2 -3 weeks.

It's disappointing/frustrating that this and the rest of LSP - the walkway is STILL not completely open - 6 months after the storm.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 12:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Great - it's about time!! It doesn't look like ANY prep work has started, but that should only be a few days work and several more to put the bridge in place and install it. Hopefully it will be ready in 2 -3 weeks.

It's disappointing/frustrating that this and the rest of LSP - the walkway is STILL not completely open - 6 months after the storm.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 23:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

parkman wrote:
Your new pedestrian bridge is now sitting on two trucks at the south end of Jersey Ave. Not the color we had discussed with the city engineers, but white works too? with instillation hopefully by Memorial Day, lighting and landscaping to follow.

Awesome!!! Here is the JJ article:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... footbri.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/5/1 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
Your new pedestrian bridge is now sitting on two trucks at the south end of Jersey Ave. Not the color we had discussed with the city engineers, but white works too? with instillation hopefully by Memorial Day, lighting and landscaping to follow.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
The temp route is actually getting nicer. This weekend I spoke with a gentleman who was part of a small group that were clearing away the large broken concrete bits that surround the skatepark and laying down mulch to create entrance/exit paths. It's now much safer crossing, especially if you're on a bike since now you don't need to dismount and tip-toe over that stuff. Not sure if he was a volunteer or not, but he said that he didn't expect the bridge to be in place "any time soon."

Posted on: 2013/4/29 14:31

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Itanium wrote:
Is that safe ? It look like an abandoned place and i was little skeptical to go beyond the opening fence.

I would follow On_The_3rd's route. I tried it on bike and from the fence opening to the end of path at the cul-de-sac road, takes only 2 minutes. I've been using various routes through the area daily since the bridge got swept away and, while you should definitely be in "aware" mode, it seems safe enough.
There's no place to hide for an attacker so if you stay alert you can turn around and go back if you see someone who doesn't look friendly to you.
All I've ever seen are other joggers/bikers and friendly skate boarders hard at work honing their skills.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Let's hear it for election years!

Posted on: 2013/4/29 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
According to the city?s time-line, the prefab footbridge will be on the southern end of Jersey Ave for your review (possibly due to political expediency) on May 2nd, and be in place for use by June 1?I love an election year.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 1:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/7 10:37
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
Ahh, this is good to know. I don't want to pay for 1 stop on the lightrail to go jogging. If I go to the end of Jersey Ave I should be able to see a way to access the park?

Turn right onto that dirt road right after crossing the light rail tracks. Go to the end and fork to the left and go through an opening in the fence and head towards the turnpike extension. Turn left before the turnpike and follow dirt road. To cross the huge puddle, go to the left, onto the concrete foundation left from some bldg. follow path along fence to Johnston Rd. Turn left onto Johnston and head to LSP!

Is that safe ? It look like an abandoned place and i was little skeptical to go beyond the opening fence.

Posted on: 2013/4/28 11:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
The quickest way to the park from Jersey Ave is to cut a right down Aetna road, hook left, cross diagonal the skate park (high five the kids) and pick up the narrow foot path that brings you to the dead end of Phillip St.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 17:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MarkCore wrote:
Ahh, this is good to know. I don't want to pay for 1 stop on the lightrail to go jogging. If I go to the end of Jersey Ave I should be able to see a way to access the park?

Turn right onto that dirt road right after crossing the light rail tracks. Go to the end and fork to the left and go through an opening in the fence and head towards the turnpike extension. Turn left before the turnpike and follow dirt road. To cross the huge puddle, go to the left, onto the concrete foundation left from some bldg. follow path along fence to Johnston Rd. Turn left onto Johnston and head to LSP!

Posted on: 2013/4/23 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/11 13:34
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:

And BTW, the shortcut is still useable even with part of the area fenced off for the pipeline project. I use it most days after work, but there is a part of it where I have to carry the bike and walk, but you can definitely get through.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 16:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I live near LSC and I need that bridge to get to and from downtown JC every day on my bicycle. Please don't pretend its only there so downtown JC people can get to LSP easily. Its not.

And BTW, the shortcut is still useable even with part of the area fenced off for the pipeline project. I use it most days after work, but there is a part of it where I have to carry the bike and walk, but you can definitely get through.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 16:49

Re: OPEN JERSEY AVENUE TO THE BAYONNE BRIDGE AND TURNPIKE
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
I really think that whoever frames the title controls the debate.
I wonder whether most of the people who would understandably like more convenient access to the park realize what lies south of the park along that route.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 16:34

Re: More Traffic for Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry for the late reply...

Quote:

Mouse wrote:
Open space is being removed from Liberty State Park (LSP).

This is factually incorrect.

Before it was a park, it was a large industrial site. Huge swaths of LSP are currently unusable due to industrial pollution.

Sections of the park are slowly being rehabilitated for public use, such as the marsh section opened to the public in.... 2009?

I do agree that putting a small bridge at the end of Jersey Ave will increase traffic, but none of that traffic will actually go through the park, nor will any park land be lost. All the cars will be on Phillip Street.

It will also make LSP more accessible to Downtown JC residents. Really not seeing that as a bad thing.

Quote:
We have had the addition of a golf course. There is development impinging on LSP from all sides.

The golf course was also on formerly toxic landfill.

Development is picking up, but most of it is on space that is toxic and/or abandoned industrial lots. It's going to happen regardless of connecting Jersey and Phililp.

We should not take our public space for granted. At the same time, we cannot dip Jersey City in amber on the day we move to town.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 14:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I spoke to Sam Pesin of Friends of LSP at the Hudson County Earth Day festival held in Liberty State Park last Saturday. He stated that the bridge should be finished by this summer which can be anywhere from mid June to mid September. The pre-fabricated bridge is complete for installation and the post are in, they are waiting for an inspection and other incidentials to be worked out.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 13:12
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/28 21:42
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Any bridge updates?! I miss my park!!!

Posted on: 2013/4/23 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The one I talk about were at the end of aetna road, were not made of concrete and there was an excavator truck there. Maybe for the pipeline after all, they are digging by audrey zapp today.

Posted on: 2013/4/9 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
The prefab concrete slabs were for the new Beacon garage, not for the roadway

Posted on: 2013/4/9 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

laurenfed6 wrote:
I heard that all of the pre-fab roadway stuff is now gone. Maybe they were just storing it there?

Is there an ETA on rebuilding the pedestrian bridge?

Steven Fulop tweeted "by this summer" just a few days ago when he was asked the same question. Considering summer runs through September......

Posted on: 2013/4/9 13:08

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/9 12:58
Group:
Registered Users
I heard that all of the pre-fab roadway stuff is now gone. Maybe they were just storing it there?

Is there an ETA on rebuilding the pedestrian bridge?

Posted on: 2013/4/9 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
Went running to LSP yesterday... More and more people seem to know the way around the little basin. This time I saw what looks like prefab elements of a small bridge at the end of aetna road, not like the concrete slabs in front of the old bridge that are from the same company and are not bridge material.

Frinjc - Do the pipeline folks still have the fencing up, or can you easily make your way from Aetna St. to Johnston via the back way again?

Posted on: 2013/4/9 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Mouse, I understand your point. Generally I also agree that with a park, less is more. I only disagree with you about the marina, which takes up a miniscule sliver of the park and IMO provides ambience.

FWIW, I'm against a Jersey Ave vehicle road into the park. There are no advantage to downtowners (they would just walk or bike into the park over the rebuilt pedestrian bridge), and non-downtowners can take the lightrail. People driving in from out of town already have an access road, Exit 14B. What are we gaining by adding another access road at Jersey Ave? Answer: out of towner/commuter traffic on small little Jersey Ave. More honking horns at 8am.

Jersey City (especially downtown) needs to be discouraging vehicle traffic, not encouraging it. We already lost Columbus Drive and Grand Street to the vehicles. Can't we salvage Jersey Ave?

Posted on: 2013/4/8 22:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Went running to LSP yesterday... More and more people seem to know the way around the little basin. This time I saw what looks like prefab elements of a small bridge at the end of aetna road, not like the concrete slabs in front of the old bridge that are from the same company and are not bridge material.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
You may call it "over dramatic," but I call it a difference in style. Basically, some believe "less is more" and others believe "more is more."

This translates in all manner of differences. Some people like modest simple houses, some like McMansions.

Some like their parks with tree's and bike lanes, others prefer parking lots, restaurants, monuments, and are willing to suffer a bit more car traffic.

But, it probably matters little what we discuss here. Development (including over-development) usually wins.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 21:37
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The lawn was once used for open air concerts, or simply lounging and provided a nice respite amidst the noise and chaos.

This is now long gone and it is now a struggle for every patch of earth, tree, and quiet.

Jesus christ Mouse, way to be over dramatic. Instead of concerts on the great lawn, concerts are now at the Ellipse.

By the way, do you remember what Liberty State Park looked like after the All Points West concert? More than half of the PUBLIC park was fenced off during setup. The park was absolutely trashed by three days of concert-goers, garbage, rain, mud, and geese shit. Tire tracks and the mud from semis extended all the way down Freedom Way. And you think a marina and a restaurant are ugly?

Quote:
And, while the footbridge is not technically within the boundaries of LSP, it is the gateway and the start of the urban 'oasis.' The idea of putting a highway right through here is just disturbing. But, hey, at this point we might as well give up and just make the whole of Liberty State Park one big parking lot.

We're not talking about a highway. The highway near Liberty State Park already exists; it's the turnpike extension. Instead, a two lane bridge is being proposed here. Again, way to be over dramatic.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Furthermore, the marina is built on the Morris Canal, which has a long and rich maritime history, so it seems only right to have that space occupied as an area in which the boating community can enjoy the park, too.

And finally, maybe I am biased, but in my opinion having the marina and boats there only adds to the park's ambience and charm instead of detracting from it.

Exactly.

If you look at the little basin, it's a swamp during high tide and a disgusting, smelly pile of mud during low tide. The big basin would be the same if there wasn't hundreds of millions of dollars worth of sailboats and yachts in the big basin and an active marina that has an incentive to keep it clean.

But tommy, you'd not supposed to advocate for development. Obviously an empty patch of grass is much more valuable than a 200+ boat marina, two restaurants, and a boat launch.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 20:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
I believe the City will be moving ahead with the Jersey Avenue
Extension project soon, so there will be both pedestrian and automobile access to Liberty State Park in the not too distant future.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Forget Jersey Ave, what JC could really use is nice pedestrian drawbridge to connect Paulus Hook to the Liberty State Park.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/4/8 19:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I am not associated with Liberty Landing Marina, but to play devil's advocate, in lieu of the former Great Lawn which was "lost" to build amenities for recreational boaters, isn't there more than enough empty land and open space in the remainder of Liberty State Park? The marina and its facilities probably take up much less than 1% of the parkland there.

Furthermore, the marina is built on the Morris Canal, which has a long and rich maritime history, so it seems only right to have that space occupied as an area in which the boating community can enjoy the park, too.

And finally, maybe I am biased, but in my opinion having the marina and boats there only adds to the park's ambience and charm instead of detracting from it.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 18:57

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 15 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017