Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: The Guardian Angels are Coming
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned
Quote:

RABBITRABBIT wrote:

dude - they havent even gotten hear and already you're playing the 'yuppies get everything' card and complaining that they arent patrolling poorer areas. seems like people like you should have been complaining to past mayors about crime since it's obviously been a problem for a while. don't piss on the people who don't care to wallow in a crime infested area. JC has been complacent for so long. if it takes new blood to get some action and shake things up - why complain about it?

The post was meant to be more of an observation, not a rant, not a complaint. The fact is, things are worse in other parts of JC. I think it's ironic that the GA is only now coming to the aid of downtown JC. Where were they 20 years ago? Regardless, I never said they shouldn't come.

Call it playing the yuppie card (as you put it) or whatever. The fact is, downtown is only receiving this kind of attention because it's becoming gentrified. And I wonder what makes you think you know me so well and that I haven't complained about crime where I live, 12 blocks from groove street.

Posted on: 2006/2/10 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/10 15:54
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:
It could be my imagination, but it seems to me crime only became a "problem" in downtown as it became more gentrified. My guess is that it used to be a lot worse and it still is a lot worse in other areas of JC. Unfortunately for those citizens, they do not wield the political clout of downtowners. Why don't the GA patrol Communipaw and Duncan?

dude - they havent even gotten hear and already you're playing the 'yuppies get everything' card and complaining that they arent patrolling poorer areas. seems like people like you should have been complaining to past mayors about crime since it's obviously been a problem for a while. don't piss on the people who don't care to wallow in a crime infested area. JC has been complacent for so long. if it takes new blood to get some action and shake things up - why complain about it?

Posted on: 2006/2/10 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
i think since they are coming over from NYC maybe they should just get a chapter going downtown first -- they will expand if it works!

They are volunteer don't start telling them to do more -- at least just yet!

Quote:

e-eff wrote:
I agree, they should cover all the problem ares in JC, not just Downtown

Posted on: 2006/2/10 14:50

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/8/28 20:47
From Wayne BTW Jersey/Barrow
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MrGrieves wrote:
It could be my imagination, but it seems to me crime only became a "problem" in downtown as it became more gentrified. My guess is that it used to be a lot worse and it still is a lot worse in other areas of JC. Unfortunately for those citizens, they do not wield the political clout of downtowners. Why don't the GA patrol Communipaw and Duncan?

I agree, they should cover all the problem ares in JC, not just Downtown

Posted on: 2006/2/10 14:41
... When life gives you lemons - Make Lemontini's!!

Dennis Deyoung is a musical genius

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/23 17:02
From Wayne Street
Group:
Registered Users
This potentially could be a great thing for the youth of JC. The GA recruits locally and provide an alternative to kids joining criminal gangs while at the same time delivering a community service. Welcome to JC Angels!

Posted on: 2006/2/10 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Seaboard,
Since you listen to the show maybe you can call in and recommend he look at jclist for info on past crimes etc.

Quote:

Seaboard wrote:
Another good thing about the Guardian Angels coming to Jersey City is the fact that it will put the Jersey City crime problem in the public spotlight. You just know Sliwa will be promoting this on The Curtis & Kuby Show.
As much as I like his morning show, I really miss the evening show he had on WABC a few years back. I thought the "feud" he had going with Art Bell (who followed Sliwa's show) made for great radio! At one point he claimed that Art Bell's listeners were possessed & had two exorcists come on his show to cure listeners of their addiction to Bell. Did anyone ever hear that show? It was insane!!

Posted on: 2006/2/10 13:42

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/5 20:49
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
The Jersey Journal wrote:
"They can provide additional eyes on the street," Mariano Vega said. "(But) police could see them as an organized gang and those things can cause problems if there is not organized discussion."

I love it! The police won't do anything themselves to stop the real gangs but they could see the Guardian Angels as an organized gang and that could "cause problems." Like what, ignoring them like they do the real gangs?

Posted on: 2006/2/10 13:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/29 21:11
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I never thought I'd say it...but the Guardian Angels are very welcome in my parts of JC. Obviously...we cannot depend on Bobby Troy for police protection.

Posted on: 2006/2/10 13:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/12/24 13:31
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2006/2/10 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently, Mario Moreira is a former Guardian Angel.

SLIWA'S ON IT Angels to organize, tour Downtown Sunday

Can the Guardian Angels keep Teddy off the PATH train and out of downtown? He only comes downtown to take the trains to nowhere.

Posted on: 2006/2/10 13:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2009/9/28 21:28
From Harsimus Cove, matey!
Group:
Registered Users
Another good thing about the Guardian Angels coming to Jersey City is the fact that it will put the Jersey City crime problem in the public spotlight. You just know Sliwa will be promoting this on The Curtis & Kuby Show.
As much as I like his morning show, I really miss the evening show he had on WABC a few years back. I thought the "feud" he had going with Art Bell (who followed Sliwa's show) made for great radio! At one point he claimed that Art Bell's listeners were possessed & had two exorcists come on his show to cure listeners of their addiction to Bell. Did anyone ever hear that show? It was insane!!

Posted on: 2006/2/10 6:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/5/9 2:30
Group:
Registered Users
Well, I don't.

But, I just got off the phone with Curtis, and he said you DEFINITELY DO!

Posted on: 2006/2/10 4:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2008/10/15 11:49
Group:
Registered Users
Ok ok, but do I have to wear one of those ridiculous hats?

Posted on: 2006/2/10 4:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't think that the goal is individual intimidation (although, the Angels to provide self-defense training for their members)

But in groups of 5 or 6 members of the community (all races, men and women alike) there is a collective intimidation. The knowledge that "we (the community) are watching you"

And guess what...WE SNITCH!

Posted on: 2006/2/10 4:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'd gladly volunteer too, although I'm afraid my appearance is not going to intimidate very many would-be criminals.

Posted on: 2006/2/10 4:29

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
These are not the Guardian Angels of NYC Circa 1970's (a group of disorganized angry youths tired of having their family members assaulted on the Subways of New York)

They have integrated with the NYPD for Central Park patrols, and each squad has one radio that calls NYPD dispatch. It think if there can be a true cooperation with law enforcement, that civilian patrolling can help. Hell, I'll sign up for a shift if it means that we could deter another violent crime on our street.

Honestly, my hat is off to Mirna tonight. She had some balls and some brains to not let those skels get the best of her. As her neighbor, and customer, I feel that I should find SOMETHING to get behind here.

-Toe

Posted on: 2006/2/10 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't much like that Silwa guy, but if his group is actually going to patrol the streets at night (since I don't see anyone doing it now), I'll gladly buy them hot coffee and smokes.

Posted on: 2006/2/10 3:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
2007/1/15 4:12
From Formerly of Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
that means JC really needs help. Good. I hope they help.

Posted on: 2006/2/10 3:21

The Guardian Angels are Coming
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/8 22:02
Group:
Registered Users
From nj.com:

The Guardian Angels are coming

Curtis Sliwa, founder of the Guardian Angels, told The Jersey Journal today that the beret-wearing volunteers are coming to Jersey City.

The Guardian Angels have long thought about establishing a Jersey City chapter, Sliwa said, but decided to do so now in the wake of two violent attacks on women in Downtown Jersey City this week.

Sliwa said patrols will begin Monday. On Sunday at 4 o'clock, he said he'll come to Jersey City for a kickoff meeting at the Dixon Deli on Varick Street, where the deli owner was attacked and robbed Monday evening.

"I'd like to come out and talk with some of the merchants and residents and tell them that we will be a visual deterrence," Sliwa said.

(story by Carly Baldwin)

Posted on: 2006/2/10 3:10

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017