Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Affordable Housing rents are being increased during the pandemic.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2021/1/5 0:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
It is the reason why landlords in the 1980s and 1990s converted their multi-family buildings into condo. It was costing them money to hire accountants and lawyers to appeal in tax court. Even when the landlords decided not to convert because of some attachment to long term tenants, their children did because it becomes expensive.

Posted on: 2020/12/30 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Good discussion! Far too often when we talk about keeping housing affordable, renters dominate the conversation. It?s good to see the prospective of homeowners in this too. We?re all in this together when we talking about housing affordability.

I can?t think of a quicker way to turn an honest landlord into a slumlord than with government-imposed rent control. Where has it ever worked?

Mortgage, property taxes, and maintenance has to be paid. If a landlord can?t charge the fair market rent, maintenance will be the first costs cut leading to a decline in quality of life of not just the renters but the hole neighborhood.

Let landlords charge what they want, but ensure there is an ample supply of true, natural affordable housing being built throughout the city. Legalize 2nd and third dwelling units in the R1 district!

Posted on: 2020/12/28 23:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Actually that happened, MDM, pushed by Solomon. While it is temporary due to covid, homes not owner occupied (1 to 4) are now under rent control. What people do not realize, the rent leveling board determines increases which is based on the Consumer Price Index, not the increase of taxes. So taxes cannot be passed along. I saw this recently in 2019, when I went to tax court with a friend who asked me to video his case. As I was waiting, a multi-family building went down in assessment just because it was under rent control and the owner cannot pass along any tax increase.

Posted on: 2020/12/28 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

trucker wrote:

(PS, what idiots vote FOR a tax increase during a pandemic where people are losing income? Or do we use Dominion voting machines in NJ?)

The ones who vote for it are the ones who think they aren't paying for it, since the tax only hits property owners directly. Issues like this have always been a major flaw with democracy... Two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

I have heard rumors that some members of the city council have been wanting to expand rent control down to single family homes. Currently, a building with 4 or fewer units is exempt from rent control in JC. NJ has a law (or at least had one.. have to check) that new construction is exempt from local rent control for a minimum of 5 years.

I see me doing sales and / or condo conversions in my future if rent control is expanded.

Posted on: 2020/12/28 13:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
So have taxes increased in the 4th quarter. Why are tenants more special than the homeowners? Over 5,000 names are on the tax lien list published on Dec. 2, 2020.

Posted on: 2020/12/27 21:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Well just like the art tax put to a vote let's hope what is going to happen in Asbury Park not happen here. That town want's to put rent control to a vote at the next election and with over 75% renters you can guess how that vote will swing. Well at least he council cannot get blamed either way just like our art tax. https://www.nj.com/news/2020/12/advoca ... -say-it-wouldnt-work.html

Posted on: 2020/12/27 15:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/6 0:32
Group:
Registered Users
Not to worry. NJ will soon be bankrupt and so will JC. As the top earners continue to leave NJ in droves, those who stay behind will have even more taxes raised on them. What a wonderful time to live in the great state of NJ!

(PS, what idiots vote FOR a tax increase during a pandemic where people are losing income? Or do we use Dominion voting machines in NJ?)

Posted on: 2020/11/30 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
I believe about 29.7% on JC residents are homeowners. Just this year, Hudson County raised tax rates yet again for JC homeowners. To make matters worse, the citizens of JC also just voted an Art tax that will hit ONLY homeowners. Yes, that is 2 increases during the pandemic on the homeowners. So, don't feel special or singled out because we're all getting hit.

Posted on: 2020/11/19 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Why is tenants afford special consideration when taxpayers got hit with a 20 percent increase? What tenants do not pay is always pass on to the small homeowner. Taxes are services which makes no distinction between homeowner and tenant. This month on the 20th, the city will publish a list of homeowners who are behind in their tax bill. Those properties will be sold December 9th in a tax lien sale. Hoboken tax bill was for 2019, but JC is for calendar 2020.

Posted on: 2020/11/16 1:17

Affordable Housing rents are being increased during the pandemic.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/11/14 20:17
From Warren St
Group:
Registered Users
Below is an open letter I sent to the JC City Council yesterday regarding Affordable Housing rents still being increased during the pandemic. Please share my story in hopes that they step in to put a freeze on rents for all affected.
___

Dear Jersey City Council Members,

The raising of rents on our affordable homes during a pandemic is unjust and unconscionable.

I felt lucky to move into my Brookfield Properties owned and managed apartment in Jersey City, my hometown, after 'winning' the affordable housing lottery in 2018. I earned just enough to qualify for it based on the 2018 income requirements which ranged from $30,660 to $48,200. At the time, I was offered my one-bedroom apartment for $1092 per month after fees, which is the flat rate no matter where you fell in the income range.

Less than three years later, I count myself lucky to be earning the same income after returning to work from a three month furlough while many others find themselves in worse situations. However, I am made to feel like I must still catch up in order to fit into a program supposedly designed with the vision of making living in Jersey City affordable to its long-time citizens.

The uncertainty of income due to unemployment given growing infection rates are weighing heavily on a lot of families' minds. I'm sure those in affordable homes share my anguish and frustration that I did when I received a notice that my affordable rent is projected to be increased for the fourth time in three years, from the original $1092, to $1195, to $1320, and now projected to $1370 per month - a 20.2% increase.

Brookfield Properties coldly cited affordable housing guidelines when I pleaded against the untimely and aggressive rent increase. Meanwhile, their website advertises three free months of rent on available market rate apartments.

Moderate income affordable housing rental rates are based on a percentage of the median income in the county. This year, the qualifying income range for my affordable home has ballooned to include incomes of $41,250 to over $60,000 per year, surpassing my income, yet I am facing a rent increase that now accounts for over half my take-home pay every month. Mind you, the rent remains the same for the person earning $41,250 as it is for someone earning $60,000. It also breaks my heart to think that if I were searching for affordable housing to continue living in Jersey City with my current income today, I wouldn't qualify. This is a problem that will get worse as Downtown Jersey City's average income increases over time while the other wards lag behind.

The pandemic has affected everyone in more ways than one, but a Fed study has shown that nearly 40% of households earning under $40,000 per year have faced job loss this year. Why is the portion of the population most susceptible to job loss and income interruption subject to rent increases in a program meant to benefit them?

To help our vulnerable neighbors struggling to pay rent on affordable homes, I propose you act quickly to put a freeze on affordable rents until the pandemic is over and people have a chance to get back on their feet. Additionally, I encourage you to explore a sliding scale of rents based on qualifying incomes so those on the bottom end can still have an opportunity to save so they can break the cycle of living paycheck to paycheck. And since there are likely others like myself who have fallen behind the income requirements, I ask you to explore a rent stabilization to limit egregious increases in the future.

To avoid a home search and a move - a stressful and costly experience even outside a pandemic - I have no choice but to accept this increase and give an entire paycheck to my landlord every month. I'm afraid I'm delaying the inevitable move I'll be forced to make if I receive a notice next year telling me that I can no longer afford my affordable home.

As it stands, do you think affordable housing is affordable? I ask you to please strongly consider placing a freeze on affordable rents until this historic pandemic is over.

Posted on: 2020/11/14 19:33

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017