Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: CERC Building Being Sold (180 9th St) - Community Programs at Risk
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
As I understand it, the issue was that the Community Development grants could not go to charter schools. Schundler circumvented that by funding the facilities, then letting the charter use them while calling them community centers, allowing a few after school activities from other groups, etc.

The charters paid rent, but I recall not enough to cover the cost of construction, hence the hustle to monetize the gym. HPNA tried to meet there for a while, but they made it such a hassle we gave up. So much for "community center".

Posted on: 2020/8/3 16:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
This bond should have been paid off on the community center unless the city refinanced it. It was a 20 year bond. Someone should call the business office and ask for John Metro whether this bond is finished.

Posted on: 2020/8/3 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
https://www.njspotlight.com/2010/05/10-0523-1629/

Way back in the late 90s, my sons went to LCCS, which was then renting space in the recently demolished Boys and Girls Club. We were all might envious of this new space.

Yup. And while I guess there's been some community stuff in there, they were more interested in rent paying programs like St Anthonys to pay off the debt. I recall attending a 'planning ideas' meeting before it was built, and suggesting that they create storage space in the gym area for community theater to have flats for sets. A flat NO. Has there ever been community theater in there? And while I don't have the facts handy, most of what Yvonne says is true AFAIK. Schundler played fast and loose with the money to forward his charter agenda in a way pretty antithetical to the whole charter idea.

As I understand it, the issue was that the Community Development grants could not go to charter schools. Schundler circumvented that by funding the facilities, then letting the charter use them while calling them community centers, allowing a few after school activities from other groups, etc.

Posted on: 2020/8/3 1:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

With no place to call home, popular Jersey City soccer program at risk of shutting down after 18 years

Updated 12:02 PM; Today 12:02 PM
By Joshua Rosario | The Jersey Journal

A popular Jersey City soccer program is in jeopardy of shutting down after 18 years after it has been denied a new lease at its longtime facility.

Alex Lalaoui said his Soccer Learning Center has been using the Community Education and Recreation Center (CERC) indoor gym, where he

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2020/08/with ... -down-after-18-years.html

Posted on: 2020/8/2 17:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/7 14:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
There are so few places available for indoor sports in Jersey City, its crazy if this large gym is not used to the maximum.

Robin.

Thanks Robin, you've always been a good friend and supporter of TSLC. The news is not looking good for the gym to reopen.

I really urge everyone to go to OpenCERC.com and take at least one of the easy steps noted. There will be a story in the Jersey Journal on Monday about the situation. Please support the JJ and buy a copy of the newspaper and learn more about our situation.

Posted on: 2020/8/1 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
There are so few places available for indoor sports in Jersey City, its crazy if this large gym is not used to the maximum.

Robin.

Posted on: 2020/8/1 17:28

Edited by tern on 2020/8/1 17:54:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:

Way back in the late 90s, my sons went to LCCS, which was then renting space in the recently demolished Boys and Girls Club. We were all might envious of this new space.

Yup. And while I guess there's been some community stuff in there, they were more interested in rent paying programs like St Anthonys to pay off the debt. I recall attending a 'planning ideas' meeting before it was built, and suggesting that they create storage space in the gym area for community theater to have flats for sets. A flat NO. Has there ever been community theater in there? And while I don't have the facts handy, most of what Yvonne says is true AFAIK. Schundler played fast and loose with the money to forward his charter agenda in a way pretty antithetical to the whole charter idea.

Posted on: 2020/7/29 23:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2020/7/27 12:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi Everyone,

We're grateful if you've already signed our petition. We reached 550 signatures as of this morning, but we still have work to do.

Please help us get our goal reached of reopening the gym this fall.

Sign our petition or visit our new site at OpenCerc.com to see what else you can do to help.

Thank you, Coach Alex

P.S: Help us spread the word - please repost this to your social media platforms/JC Reddits/etc with our thanks!

Posted on: 2020/7/27 12:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Do your homework, ask the city clerk for copy of the bond issued during the Schundler administration or read old copies of the Jersey Journal which did a story on this. Part of the headline was the fact that Schundler had senior citizens pack City Hall, they thought this was for them, instead, they learned the building was for is Golden Door Charter School which later moved to Journal Square. Before that, it was the site of Betz Brewery. Don't be lazy. If you want proof, dig for it.

Posted on: 2020/7/27 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
What you say is interesting, now prove it.
"I am sure" is bullcrap, if you are going to say things like that back it up or shut the f up.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Taxpayers spent $5 million under the Schundler administration to create a "public space," also referred to as a community center. I am sure we are still paying that bond but the building was used for JC first charter school. As usual, the public was taken, Ward F still has their community center for public events.

Posted on: 2020/7/27 0:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Taxpayers spent $5 million under the Schundler administration to create a "public space," also referred to as a community center. I am sure we are still paying that bond but the building was used for JC first charter school. As usual, the public was taken, Ward F still has their community center for public events.

Posted on: 2020/7/25 15:07

CERC Building Being Sold (180 9th St) - Community Programs at Risk
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hi folks,

I'm asking for your help today. The CERC building at 180 9th Street is being sold by the JCRA to the County of Hudson. While the contract has been signed, the closing has been put on hold indefinitely because of the pandemic.

No new leases are being signed for any recreational program that operates out of the community center gym - including me, Bob Hurley's basketball clinics, martial arts, Hoopsville basketball, etc.

Once the sale is complete, there is also no guarantee that we will be allowed to run our community programs again from the site.

We've put together a petition to ask the JCRA to provide interim leases to our programs so we can start in September and have the county provide some guarantee that the community center will be available for our activities - programs that serve up to 800 kids and adults each week.

Please sign the petition and forward the link on to your contacts. Now more than ever we need safe recreational programs like the ones offered at the CERC gym.

Thank you!

Coach Alex, The Soccer Learning Center
SoccerLearningCenter.com
Providing Professional Coaching Since 2002
Petition Link: http://chng.it/sMWmsmGp

Posted on: 2020/7/25 14:48

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?