Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City Bike Lanes... WTF is wrong with bike riders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Has anyone else noticed bike riders not using the spaces just for them? Can they be cited by traffic regulations?

I know... you can't fix rude, stupid and dangerous.

Has anyone else noticed that cars are now driving and parking IN the protected bike lanes forcing riders to move out into traffic? Because I have on a daily basis.

Can they be cited by traffic regulations?

No, not in my neighborhood. Your point is what?

That there's dipshits that use all modes of transportation. And that driving in a protected bike lane seems more egregious than a bike on a sidewalk. Although I might be biased because I was hit by a car that rolled through a stop sign while I was on my bike.

Posted on: 2020/2/11 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

meltedopsicle wrote:
Ditto all of the above.

When I ride (which isn't much lately), I'm fully equipped with lights, horn, and rear view mirror. If I want to be treated as a vehicle, I should behave like one. Unfortunately, too many riders don't and it affects how people view the rest of us.

I thought someone was going to say "bikes need to be in the bike lane" but I see that it's really "bikes need to be off the sidewalk"! I'm accustomed to taking the traffic lane when needed (to prevent drivers from passing too closely, to avoid potholes and debris) and that means I'm visible and moving predictably, whereas there are some protected bike lanes I would rather not be in because of hazards and visibility at intersections.

(Yes, hazards such as vehicles parked in the bike lane that I can't just steer around because of the adjacent "protection" of parked cars. Good luck getting enforcement to care though.)

Much like you, nowadays I don't ride nearly as much as I used to, but when I did, I used to ride in town multiple times per day, and would take the lane often. It's ironic that "taking the lane" is (or, feels) safer than riding some bike lanes, or sticking to the edge of the road where lanes are not available. Unfortunately, some drivers can get REALLY aggressive about cyclists taking the lane, and I have been on the receiving end of a good amount of crazy behavior: purposefully sideswiped by passing cars twice, tailgated by an asshat who drove within inches of my back tire to try and force me out of his way, and a slow speed head on collision when an old dude didn't want to wait while someone was waiting his turn at an intersection and decided to go around him, invading the opposite traffic lane and running into me. Drivers in JC are really dangerous, without a doubt.

Posted on: 2020/2/11 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Has anyone else noticed bike riders not using the spaces just for them? Can they be cited by traffic regulations?

Has anyone else noticed that cars are now driving and parking IN the protected bike lanes forcing riders to move out into traffic? Because I have on a daily basis.

Yes on Montgomery, but I think the bigger problem is people parking in the vision zero spaces. All up and down Newark Avenue this happens and I've seen it in other places. People just drive right over the poles.
I don't think anyone mentioned e-bikes. I almost got creamed crossing the street by a delivery guy on an e-bike, in the bike lane, but going in the opposite direction.
Long story short, none of this matters because there's never going to be any enforcement.

Posted on: 2020/2/11 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Posted on: 2020/2/11 12:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/11/22 16:28
Group:
Registered Users
Ditto all of the above.

When I ride (which isn't much lately), I'm fully equipped with lights, horn, and rear view mirror. If I want to be treated as a vehicle, I should behave like one. Unfortunately, too many riders don't and it affects how people view the rest of us.

I thought someone was going to say "bikes need to be in the bike lane" but I see that it's really "bikes need to be off the sidewalk"! I'm accustomed to taking the traffic lane when needed (to prevent drivers from passing too closely, to avoid potholes and debris) and that means I'm visible and moving predictably, whereas there are some protected bike lanes I would rather not be in because of hazards and visibility at intersections.

(Yes, hazards such as vehicles parked in the bike lane that I can't just steer around because of the adjacent "protection" of parked cars. Good luck getting enforcement to care though.)

Posted on: 2020/2/10 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Shocking news, many people are rude, stupid and dangerous no matter what their vehicle, and sometimes on foot! How many times have you had someone pop out of a store door right in front of you without even looking?

Posted on: 2020/2/10 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Posted on: 2020/2/10 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:

Yes. Just like drivers can be cited for running stop signs, failing to yield to pedestrians, making illegal turns, blowing through red lights, or driving too fast. Oh wait... JC doesn't do any of that.

In all seriousness, you are right to be annoyed. Too many idiots choose to ride on sidewalks because they "don't feel safe" riding on the streets. Tough cookies, really.

Many years ago, while walking on a sidewalk over by Newport, my daughter and I were almost ran over by two asswipes riding their bikes on the same sidewalk, approaching us from behind and yelling to get out of their way. We managed to barely avoid a collision, and I was pissed. On the other hand, as an avid cyclist that rides all over JC, I can attest to drivers yelling at me to get off the road and on the sidewalk. Sadly, there is a serious need for driver and cyclist education.

Posted on: 2020/2/9 20:04

Jersey City Bike Lanes... WTF is wrong with bike riders
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users

Yesterday a woman bike rider was riding eastbound on the Grand Street sidewalk in Paulus Hook. I had to stop to let her by and I gave her and earful telling her to use her well marked bike lane. The eastbound pedestrians she was weaving through heard me and agreed.

Earlier this week I saw 2 bike riders in one 10 minute walk to PATH riding on the sidewalk... but the clincher was the 3rd guy using the bike lane who blew by the crossing guard trying to stop him @ intersect of Grand and Washington.

The rider had the east bound stop light (as did cars) and rode around the crossing guard (arm extended in the middle of the bike path) while families were crossing the street, headed to the school at the corner.

Posted on: 2020/2/9 18:57

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017