Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Pedestrian plaza development
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
I love Downtown Hardware, and as a DIY-er, was in there every weekend. Its loss will be felt hard in my household. It's not just them, though (and not just the pedestrian plaza). Small hardware stores everywhere are taking a hit:

The Life and Death of the Local Hardware Store - NYT

Posted on: 2019/12/9 18:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/12 14:54
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
Plaza did not claim another the hardware store. Not so convenient hours, over-priced and limited selection claimed the hardware store. The owners of the hardware store own the property and they plan to rent the space out. They probably saw the $ signs when comparing the rent they can commend verses the revenue they are currently making running the hardware store. Probably just a smart business move. Stop blaming the plaza for failed businesses. Pedestrian plazas exist ALL over the world with much success so not sure why JC is the exception according to you and other naysayers. Plaza isn't going anywhere so just deal with it.

Yes it did. Next will be the produce store on the corner of Erie. The owners have already said. By the way. I doubt many millennials are do it your selfers but that "limited selection" hardware store carried many things home depot does not. They were helpful too. But hey you can ride scooters now!

Believe what you want to believe. You will not convince me that not being able to drive up to the front entrance of the hardware store or any other defunct establishments is the reason they have closed. Last I checked, Tia's (on grove), Third and Vine (on 3rd) or Talde (on Erie) to name a few recently closed establishments don't have a pedestrian plaza in front of it. What say you about those or is your argument only convenient when a plaza exists?

You are naming restaurants. They strive on foot traffic hence "restaurant row" so I don't see you logic.

Try again, Tia?s was not a restaurant.

Posted on: 2019/12/9 11:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

yorkster wrote:
Plaza did not claim another the hardware store. Not so convenient hours, over-priced and limited selection claimed the hardware store. The owners of the hardware store own the property and they plan to rent the space out. They probably saw the $ signs when comparing the rent they can commend verses the revenue they are currently making running the hardware store. Probably just a smart business move. Stop blaming the plaza for failed businesses. Pedestrian plazas exist ALL over the world with much success so not sure why JC is the exception according to you and other naysayers. Plaza isn't going anywhere so just deal with it.

Yes it did. Next will be the produce store on the corner of Erie. The owners have already said. By the way. I doubt many millennials are do it your selfers but that "limited selection" hardware store carried many things home depot does not. They were helpful too. But hey you can ride scooters now!

Believe what you want to believe. You will not convince me that not being able to drive up to the front entrance of the hardware store or any other defunct establishments is the reason they have closed. Last I checked, Tia's (on grove), Third and Vine (on 3rd) or Talde (on Erie) to name a few recently closed establishments don't have a pedestrian plaza in front of it. What say you about those or is your argument only convenient when a plaza exists?

You are naming restaurants. They strive on foot traffic hence "restaurant row" so I don't see you logic.

Posted on: 2019/12/9 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
People who think a car-free / pedestrian plaza is incompatible with thriving retail establishments need to get out and travel. All over the world you see areas just like the one we have here in JC, and they do phenomenally well.

The one issue I see with our pedestrian plaza is that it is still too small. If they extended the plaza towards the West (as has been proposed/planned) then you would have more space for retail. Our pedestrian plaza is dominated by restaurants and bars, which is great, but it does prevent people from making it a shopping destination, since it has limited appeal/variety. We need more retail in there. Alas, the rents might be prohibitive for small businesses to survive and thrive.

Posted on: 2019/12/6 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Club Barks is closing today. Not on the Plaza either. It was always hit or miss at DH. I often settled for what they had, rather than what I was looking for.

Posted on: 2019/12/6 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

yorkster wrote:

Posted on: 2019/12/6 13:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

yorkster wrote:

Posted on: 2019/12/6 5:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
"Ghetto" fast food chains???? Is that racist???? Sounds like it might be? What can we do to shut this voice down??

Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

yorkster wrote:

This. Yvonne and her servants (most notably that Two Boots owner) are having a meltdown over the forthcoming renovation work and are trying to blame each and every problem a business has on it. It?s been a wild success but a small fraction of NIMBYs feel ever so slightly inconvenienced by it and feel it was much better when it was full of homeless people, ghetto fast food chains and dollar stores and idling double parked cars.

Posted on: 2019/12/6 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

yorkster wrote:

This. Yvonne and her servants (most notably that Two Boots owner) are having a meltdown over the forthcoming renovation work and are trying to blame each and every problem a business has on it. It?s been a wild success but a small fraction of NIMBYs feel ever so slightly inconvenienced by it and feel it was much better when it was full of homeless people, ghetto fast food chains and dollar stores and idling double parked cars.

Posted on: 2019/12/5 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/12/5 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This Plaza has claimed another victim. The hardware store is closing.

Posted on: 2019/12/5 17:51

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 19:26
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like more people care about the starbucks closing than a featherweight main event like this.

this place really has changed.

Posted on: 2019/12/3 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Its Wednesday night before Thanksgiving... just another high school reunion. I did enjoy seeing the kid shoot the wrestling takedown move on the bigger opponent. Too bad he got sucker punched as he went for the pin.

Posted on: 2019/11/30 18:09

Pedestrian plaza development
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 19:26
Group:
Registered Users
So Much for family friendly pedestrian plaza.
this is a Hoboken "scene".

and this is what our mayor wants to keep throwing more money into.

not one bouncer from these establishments helps to diffuse this situation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/jerseycity/co ... _ave_pedestrian_plaza_on/

Posted on: 2019/11/30 17:29

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017