Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
93 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: McLaughlin Funeral Home sold their parking lot.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
The old Introcaso-Angelo Funeral Home located downtown is now for sale with the approved plans.

https://www.redfin.com/NJ/Jersey-City/ ... k-St-07302/home/169449993

Posted on: 2019/11/7 1:07

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/29 5:04
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
And here it is finally the plans to build on the parking lot.
27-Story Development Planned

Posted on: 2019/11/6 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
When Cotter spoke in 2015 it was Fulop speaking. Nothing has changed. Traditional zoning has been tossed for a new way of getting it done. Nothing need be codified if its stamped with the city seal. Unless challenged in a court it stands ala the Kushner case where Fulop reneged on an abatement because his very good friend Jared is Trumps son-in-law. It was a totally manufactured event for the public eye.

Ok, I see the problem. You don't understand the difference between zoning and abatements, because you're conflating them. Please read up, including the links I posted a few days ago, along with NJ MLUL.

Posted on: 2019/7/22 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
BL: Like Duuu-uuuhh!! Talking Light Rail don't pull no gravy. Nonsense...Every piece of property in JC or Bayonne or any city
nearby has escalated in value several times over. The Board of Ed building at Claremont & West Side is in the midst of SOHO, Bayfront, NJCU with H-U-G-E parking lots with the potential of "by right" ability to create 100 story towers. There's no zoning left in Jersey City only redevelopment plans that are tailored to the individual developer. The gravy train is roaring through!

I'll have the man & cheese, TIA

Posted on: 2019/7/22 13:56
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
BOE is not selling their building for $6 million. The $6 million figure is an amount in the budget but represents a portion of what the building would be sold for amortized over several years. It is also possible that the BOE instead enters into a lease or net lease of the property.

Posted on: 2019/7/22 13:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
When Cotter spoke in 2015 it was Fulop speaking. Nothing has changed. Traditional zoning has been tossed for a new way of getting it done. Nothing need be codified if its stamped with the city seal. Unless challenged in a court it stands ala the Kushner case where Fulop reneged on an abatement because his very good friend Jared is Trumps son-in-law. It was a totally manufactured event for the public eye. "Would'nt look good to my constituents if I was nice to Trumps family" Of course he said just a few years ago, lost on everybody, that the "Trump brand is a good thing for any American city."

Posted on: 2019/7/22 11:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Well fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view) the real estate market isn?t moved by something the (former) Planning director said at a conference once. The land isn?t worth 100 stories of development right until that development right is codified in the documents I linked previously, or a site plan approval. Developers and speculators may believe that 100 story development right may come someday but they can?t pay 100 story development right prices for land with 5 stories of right today. They?d have to get the land at a much lower price today to account for that risk. I pray you understand that so that we can move on from this primer.

Posted on: 2019/7/21 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
BL: The new era of development standards was announced to the world at the CTBUH conference ,2015, in NYC. Planning Director Cotter proclaimed " taller buildings, no height limit"; the traditional zoning code from the 1920's has been left behind." JC was a platinum sponsor of the event, gave tours to dozens of developers. Fulop was there in NYC to speak...later denied knowing anything about it...Zoning & Planning Boards uninvited etc., etc. & so forth... So I know from where I speak !

Posted on: 2019/7/21 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, why the Board of Ed building was sold at a loss is a good question, but completely unrelated to whether or not the McLaughlin lot is worth $16 million.

The Board of Ed building is in the Neighborhood Commercial zone, which allows a maximum of 4-5 stories (depending on parking requirements of the lot itself). The McLaughlin parking lot is in the Homestead Extension Bonus zone of the JSQ Redevelopment Plan, which allows up to 27 stories (if the lot has sufficient square footage). That difference in development right alone can explain a difference of millions of dollars in market value for a piece of land.

Contrary to popular belief, you can't just build a 100 story building anywhere you want.

Here's the zoning map: https://www.jerseycitynj.gov/UserFiles ... ng%20Map%202019.01.04.pdf
The zoning code:https://library.municode.com/nj/jersey ... RTVZODEST_S345-45NCNECODI
The JSQ redevelopment plan:https://data.jerseycitynj.gov/explore/ ... lopment-plan/information/

Posted on: 2019/7/20 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
BL: Like Duuu-uuuhh!! Talking Light Rail don't pull no gravy. Nonsense...Every piece of property in JC or Bayonne or any city
nearby has escalated in value several times over. The Board of Ed building at Claremont & West Side is in the midst of SOHO, Bayfront, NJCU with H-U-G-E parking lots with the potential of "by right" ability to create 100 story towers. There's no zoning left in Jersey City only redevelopment plans that are tailored to the individual developer. The gravy train is roaring through!

Posted on: 2019/7/20 20:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TommyTwoTimes wrote:
Speaking to a limo driver in the funeral business said funeral homes always wish they had more parking. The bigger the better for lining up cars the morning of a funeral procession. You generally would add to your parking not sell it at any price.

If you need the money but want to hold onto your business for a few more years you might sell off your parking lot for $16 Million. We don't know their situation.
I wouldn't be surprised if the limo driver would have sold if he were in the same situation. Maybe he would have sold it for $5M.

Posted on: 2019/7/20 14:37

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Speaking to a limo driver in the funeral business said funeral homes always wish they had more parking. The bigger the better for lining up cars the morning of a funeral procession. You generally would add to your parking not sell it at any price.

Posted on: 2019/7/20 4:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It does sound strange. I thought that part of JC was booming. I cannot think of any other part of JC where you bought something 25 years ago and it is now worth so much less. Bought for $9 Million and now sold for $6 Million? Perhaps the developers promised to build something in exchange?

Posted on: 2019/7/17 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Yvonne, You asked for an explanation, and JCGuys provided a good one. To elaborate on his point, land in JSQ where the zoning allows tall buildings is far more valuable than a piece of land with a smaller existing building by the WSA light rail stop, that does not come with the same development right.

The value of land includes accounting for what the buyer can do with the land. That's why you see so many speculators grabbing up land, and then going before the zoning board or the planning board to get approvals for much more than what zoning allows, and then selling the land for a much higher price. The land is more valuable if you can build BIG than if you can't. And JSQ is a part of the city where you can build really BIG.

Posted on: 2019/7/17 14:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I see... So that's your informed response to my post which addresses none of which I said. It's like I say "It's raining out" and you respond "I'll have the macaroni and cheese".

Posted on: 2019/7/17 9:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/7 3:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
$ 16 Million for a vacant lot and the JC Bd of Ed is selling their 7 story, solid building, plus huge parking lots, next to a Light Rail Stop for a paltry $ 6 Million which the city bought 25 years ago for $ 9 Million. Let's see how this is explained.

Development rights are a little higher in JSQ than by the light rail...

Posted on: 2019/7/16 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
$ 16 Million for a vacant lot and the JC Bd of Ed is selling their 7 story, solid building, plus huge parking lots, next to a Light Rail Stop for a paltry $ 6 Million which the city bought 25 years ago for $ 9 Million. Let's see how this is explained.

Posted on: 2019/7/16 19:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

JCBORN wrote:
I heard the old funeral home on Brunswick St. is presenting new plans. 4 story mixed-use with 26 residential units and commercial space on the ground floor. There will be no parking. The hearing is next week.

Ho ho ho, this one is rich. The "Build Nothing, Nowhere, EVER" NIMBYs that run the VNA decided to sue the city for approviing this project that was originally going to provide because they didn't like one extra floor of units (that was going to be setback from the street anyway). The developer then decided to go the path of least resistance and build as-of-right, which to the horror of the parking NIMBYs in the neighborhood, included retail instead of parking.

So now half the neighborhood is up in arms at the self-appointed idiots that run the VNA because of this lack of parking. Hopefully this is the start of a NIMBY civil war in the VNA and they'll be too paralyzed to initiate their pointless lawsuits in the future.

Sweet! I'll bring the popcorn.

Posted on: 2019/7/16 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCBORN wrote:
I heard the old funeral home on Brunswick St. is presenting new plans. 4 story mixed-use with 26 residential units and commercial space on the ground floor. There will be no parking. The hearing is next week.

Ho ho ho, this one is rich. The "Build Nothing, Nowhere, EVER" NIMBYs that run the VNA decided to sue the city for approviing this project that was originally going to provide because they didn't like one extra floor of units (that was going to be setback from the street anyway). The developer then decided to go the path of least resistance and build as-of-right, which to the horror of the parking NIMBYs in the neighborhood, included retail instead of parking.

So now half the neighborhood is up in arms at the self-appointed idiots that run the VNA because of this lack of parking. Hopefully this is the start of a NIMBY civil war in the VNA and they'll be too paralyzed to initiate their pointless lawsuits in the future.

Posted on: 2019/7/16 1:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
You would think funeral homes would never go out of business but there use to be way more in Jersey City. A number probably have closed in recent years because the property is worth so much more than the business. Gone recently are Bromirski, Introcaso and Houghton which were around for many years. Probably a few more went out of business I can't think of.

The busiest ones left I believe are the 3 larger facilities mentioned with significant parking; Greenville McLaughlin and Riotto. There are a few smaller funeral homes left also but I don't think they are as updated.

Posted on: 2019/7/15 22:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/7/15 20:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Good research (neverleft) it may be part of that project. The funeral home also owned the property across from the lot on the other side of Homestead Place which runs between Pavonia and Van Reipen so it may very well include all of that.

Posted on: 2019/7/15 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if it will part of the Homestead development. It includes a few properties that span from Cottage Street to the Path Center. Some kind of Homestead Walkway from Cottage to Van Reipen to Pavonia. With retail and restaurants along the way.

Goggle homestead place development jersey city

I got this from skyscraperpage.com

Homestead Walkway, Journal Square Namdar Group (Effy Namdar- Homestead Assembleage LLC)

Phase 1: 27-story building with 350 units and reconstruction of Synagogue at 35 Cottage Street

Phase 2: 25-story building with 220 units at 26-28 Van Reipen Avenue

Phase 3: 20-story building with 180 units at 26-28 Cottage Street

All fronting a new pedestrian walkway called the Homestead Walkway from Cottage to the PATH connection at Journal Squared.

Posted on: 2019/7/15 17:52

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have no information on what will be built. My friends from the city and a realtor told me it was sold for well over 16 million so the development must be huge. Funeral homes in New York City have no parking so people are use to public garages. Though, here in Jersey City, there are a few funeral homes with more convenient parking.

As for on site ground level parking, it appears Greenville and Riotto funeral homes have the largest parking lots. I probably will choose one of the other funeral homes going forward as they all seem to have good reputations reading online reviews and from what I've seen paying my respects over the years.

Does anyone have any personal experiences with any of these other funeral homes?

Posted on: 2019/7/15 17:40

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/5 16:18
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I have spoken with Maryellen McLaughlin and most of this information is correct. The lot will be sold but they will have exclusive use of it until developers break ground which will be about two years. They also have secured parking that will be validated in the lot next door so they will NOT be closing THANK GOD!

Posted on: 2019/7/15 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It's literally next to.one of the largest parking garages in the city!

I respect McLaughlin for not selling out. It also makes sense to sell the vacant lot since it would be cheaper just to offer validations at Journal Sauare garage than to keep the lot underutilized.So, TimmyTimBuckTwo, any details about what this new building would be?

Posted on: 2019/7/15 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
There was many funeral homes downtown but they did not have adequate parking, when McLaughlin opened up, it took away their business due to their parking. Now I wonder how long, they will last. Greenville and Riotto still have adequate parking. I still remember of friend telling me his relative got a boot on their car when they came to a downtown funeral home to attend a wake.

Posted on: 2019/7/15 12:35

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
They never did sell the building and now they are sandwiched in between the high-rise and Port Authority. From what I understand the owner of the funeral home did not want to sell the parking lot but was forced out because other relatives owned the lion share. The funeral home is able to utilize it until they start developing probably within two years.

Posted on: 2019/7/15 1:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I recall reading or hearing that McLaughlin Funeral Home was offered a boat load of money by KRE Group (headed by Murray Kushner) for their building as KRE was buying up the other properties on the block for their JSquared project but McLaughlin refused the offer.

Looking at an aerial view of the area I wonder if the property will wind up like Vera Coking?s property in Atlantic City in the 1970?s she refused a $1 million ($3.5 million in 2018) offer. The casino developer eventually built around her house.

Posted on: 2019/7/15 0:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
If they validate that would be nice but probably not the most convenient finding parking in a public garage. Don't enjoy shopping for funeral homes but have to eventually plan for the inevitable.

Posted on: 2019/7/14 23:16

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017