Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: End of AirBnB in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
It is not what the city will get it is what the residents will get and that is YES vote. Because it's the right sensible legislation that should have been in place from day one. If you have a house and in that house is a spare room or another apartment (2 family house), you can rent short term on airbnb. What you cannot do is rent 5 apartments and "sublease" them out on airbnb. New apartment buildings are also taking empty apartments and turning those buildings into part or full time airbnb hotels. If I rented an apartment in a rental apartment building and found out 3 apartments on my floor are advertised on hotel.com or airbnb, I would not be happy.

Posted on: 2019/10/25 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
A new low for the vote NO crew. I was watching Good Day NY this morning when a breaking news like video comes on. It is set up a like local news station piece with a bottom banner. HOL-TV I think. The news caster voice says ?JC is about to ban shot-term rentals?. The red headed woman who is in another commercial that says her family will probably lose their house that has been in the family for generations appears. This time she said she won?t be able to pay her taxes if she is not allowed to rent out an apartment. It ends with the news caster voice saying ?back to you? as the GDNY comes back on. Sad. More deception and funny if the woman wanted to save her property why not rent the apartment out long-term with no worries about finding a short-term daily booking.

PS ? I got my 8th can we count on you to vote NO call from Pennsylvania last night.

Posted on: 2019/10/25 14:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe as much as the big hotel names pay the city for their support.

It is bizarre how the city cares about a short-term tenant throwing up on the sidewalk but doesn't care about long-term drug addict nightmare tenants who destroy the property and scare their neighbors. They turn a blind eye when you point it out to them.
It's all politics. I'm sure the city will get what they want.

Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:
JC NAACP votes no, economic discrimination against renters.

https://hudsoncountyview.com/jersey-ci ... -economic-discrimination/

what a bizarre thing for the NAACP to get involved in. I wonder how much Airbnb paid them for their support.

Posted on: 2019/10/25 12:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo2 wrote:

what a bizarre thing for the NAACP to get involved in. I wonder how much Airbnb paid them for their support.

Posted on: 2019/10/25 4:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/10/24 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City advocacy group endorses effort to vote ?yes? on Airbnb regulations

Updated 4:42 PM; Today 3:46 PM (10/22/2019)
By Patrick Villanova | The Jersey Journal

With just two weeks until the referendum on the future of short-term rentals in Jersey City, a prominent community group is urging residents to vote in favor of new regulations on services like Airbnb.

Jersey City Together, an advocacy group made up of local religious institutions and non-profits, is endorsing the campaign to vote ?yes? on Municipal Question 1 ? a referendum on how short-term rentals are regulated.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/jers ... n-airbnb-regulations.html

Posted on: 2019/10/23 0:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
Al must have a vested interest the way he wrote this article, shameful column..is this reporting or opinion Al. Can't wait to the YES vote crushes the NO vote. Sensible legislation.

Posted on: 2019/10/22 15:37

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City?s Change of Heart on Airbnb

https://www.insidernj.com/jersey-citys-change-heart-airbnb/

Posted on: 2019/10/22 10:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
If the city wants to do something positive... they need to regulate the mailing/distribution of campaign literature. I am throwing stuff away daily, not even reading it.

Also today, coming home from work, I was greeted at my front door by a nice young lady looking for me. At first I thought she might be an Amazon Driver. She is working on the the Air BNB question and wanted to know who I was voting for... I told her undecided which she entered into her little handheld device.

As we said goodbye she handed me more literature. I could not tell you what side she worked on... it went straight in the garbage. Now I am worried my answer has invited a more intense response... I am open to gift cards. :)

Posted on: 2019/10/18 21:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(this place was getting $170 to $180 a night on 83 units..cheater)

Tax-abated apartment building complex was being operated as hotel, Jersey City officials say

Updated Oct 17, 2019; Posted Oct 17, 2019
By Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal

Jersey City officials say an 83-unit rental building complex has been operating as a hotel, violating the tax abatement agreement the developer signed six years ago.

On Thursday, the city?s Division of Taxation put Chosen Condominiums Urban Renewal, developer of the ?Caprice? and ?Monte Carlo? buildings in Journal Square on notice, saying they must stop illegally renting apartments via the Airbnb platform.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/tax- ... y-city-officials-say.html

Posted on: 2019/10/18 4:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
In yesterdays JJ....

Airbnb discussion to air on Jersey City comcast channel

The Airbnb vote Live TV special with Airbnb spokesperson Liz DeBold Fusco, hosted by the ?Jersey City Show?s? Pat O?Melia, will air on Tuesday, Oct. 22, at noon live on Jersey City Comcast cable Ch. 190, Livestream.com, YouTube, and Facebook. The special will discuss the pro?s and cons of the Nov. 5 Airbnb referendum vote. Questions from Jersey City residents will be answered live during the show via Facebook.

Airbnb is a marketplace that offers short-term lodging for tourists as an alternative to often expensive rentals at hotels. On Nov. 5, voters will decide the future of the business in Jersey City. This past June, an ordinance was adopted that prohibits short-term rentals for more than 60 days in properties where the owner does not live onsite and entirely in buildings with more than four units. Voters can either support or reject the new restrictions.

Posted on: 2019/10/16 20:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
When was this? Do you have more information on what was said and who was there? Who were the "wealthy" brownstone owners or did they just assume they were wealthy?
I wonder how we can find out more about future meetings like this.

Quote:

dr_nick_riviera wrote:
Quote:

JCBORN wrote:
This isn't the first time the homeowners are being hurt. I don't think the city cares. It's all political. Whoever gets them more votes. Renters vs. Landlords. Obviously, there are more tenants than owners/landlords in JC.

How many people sit on the board working on this ordinance? What percentage of them are landlords? I don't feel they are represented well.

At least the bad airbnb tenants are just short-term. Many landlords are stuck with nightmare tenants who are in the apartment for years.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was at a meeting where a city employee stated they were getting calls from residents about Airbnb guests. They accuse the guests of getting high from pot and acting loud. But isn't that what Fulop wants for JC? Fulop is pushing recreational marijuana. I see both sides but the real issue is - Fulop pushed this Airbnb and now the homeowners who made these investments are being hurt.

There are many threads on Nextdoor.com about this - the board the city convened for the purpose of getting input on the ordinance were disproportionately white, wealthy brownstone owners and a member of the hotel lobby. No renters sat on the board. Literally, a member of the hotel lobby helped to draft this legislation. It's a festering piece of NIMBY garbage.

Posted on: 2019/10/16 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Murphy jumps into Jersey City?s Airbnb fight. Whose side is he on?

Updated 1:44 PM; Today 1:19 PM (10/15/2019)
By Patrick Villanova | The Jersey Journal

The campaign hoping to affirm new regulations on Jersey City?s short-term rental industry scored a key endorsement Tuesday when Gov. Phil Murphy joined the fray.

?I support Jersey City?s Local Ordinance 19-077. Short-term rentals should be regulated,? the New Jersey governor tweeted Tuesday morning, urging Jersey City voters to vote yes on Municipal Question 1 on Nov. 5.

The ordinance, which the City Council passed in June, established new regulations on home-sharing services like Airbnb and VRBO. However, after a successful petition drive backed by Airbnb, the future of the ordinance will be decided by voters in the Nov. 5 referendum.

(more)

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/murp ... -whose-side-is-he-on.html

Posted on: 2019/10/16 1:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCBORN wrote:
This isn't the first time the homeowners are being hurt. I don't think the city cares. It's all political. Whoever gets them more votes. Renters vs. Landlords. Obviously, there are more tenants than owners/landlords in JC.

How many people sit on the board working on this ordinance? What percentage of them are landlords? I don't feel they are represented well.

At least the bad airbnb tenants are just short-term. Many landlords are stuck with nightmare tenants who are in the apartment for years.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I was at a meeting where a city employee stated they were getting calls from residents about Airbnb guests. They accuse the guests of getting high from pot and acting loud. But isn't that what Fulop wants for JC? Fulop is pushing recreational marijuana. I see both sides but the real issue is - Fulop pushed this Airbnb and now the homeowners who made these investments are being hurt.

There are many threads on Nextdoor.com about this - the board the city convened for the purpose of getting input on the ordinance were disproportionately white, wealthy brownstone owners and a member of the hotel lobby. No renters sat on the board. Literally, a member of the hotel lobby helped to draft this legislation. It's a festering piece of NIMBY garbage.

Posted on: 2019/10/15 2:02

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/1 15:48
From Jersey Cty
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/10/15 1:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2019/10/14 14:32

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 15:19
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Readers weigh in on Jersey City referendum on short-term rentals | Opinion

Today 4:00 PM (10/11/2019)

By Letters To The Editor | The Jersey Journal

Editor?s note: When Jersey City voters go to the polls Nov. 5, they?ll be asked a referendum question on whether the city should put into effect (VOTE YES) or overturn (VOTE NO) a new city law that puts restrictions on short-term rentals of properties such as Airbnb. The law, approved in June, allows homeowners who are on-site to share their home 365 days a year and calls for an annual 60-day cap for short-term rentals if the property owner is not on-site. It prohibits short-term rentals in buildings with more than four units and phases out existing short-term rental contracts in those buildings by Jan. 1, 2021. It also prohibits renters from serving as short-term rental hosts.

https://www.nj.com/opinion/2019/10/rea ... term-rentals-opinion.html

It's not clear to me how the first response (Sherry Geoghegan) is burdened by the new regulations passing. It's owner occupied, so not sure what the complaint is since they didn't lay out exactly how they would be adversely affected.

The second pro-AirBnB response from Barbara Camacho is the most compelling. However, I'm inclined to think that paying your taxes and water bills, in addition to registering your residence as an AirBnB *should* be a prerequisite. You're ultimately running a hotel business. But the arguments regarding the invasive nature of disclosing *who* those occupants are to the city are probably the most compelling argument against the new regs.

The third response which was anti-AirBnB was a total joke saying it doesn't go far enough. I don't believe they should be banned but there does need to be more regulation of this activity than what is currently on the books.

Generally, this is one of those issues where a good newspaper would better lay out in plain terms what is actually at stake here. Journalism has suffered the last several decades mostly because journalists have been hijacked by the "both sides" narrative and that has meant that each side gets their say and nobody who is a curious reader will leave with any better understanding of an issue. I realize these are just letters to the editor sort of thing but I've yet to read anything that lays this out plainly.

Posted on: 2019/10/14 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
The law, approved in June, allows homeowners who are on-site to share their home 365 days a year and calls for an annual 60-day cap for short-term rentals if the property owner is not on-site. It prohibits short-term rentals in buildings with more than four units and phases out existing short-term rental contracts in those buildings by Jan. 1, 2021. It also prohibits renters from serving as short-term rental hosts.

Homeowners ON SITE can still share their home 365 days a year. I have no problem with that. Those people that need the money to get by still have no issue if they are ON SITE.
I am in a high rise and I do not want 4 apartments on the floor rented to random people all the time. That's my problem. Not to mention the landlord has zero incentive to keep me, and/or keep me and the super awesome rent of $2550 per month.

Posted on: 2019/10/14 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/10/14 0:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
The quotes in this article are hilarious. Two heartfelt testimonials about how AirBNB saved the family farm, and one short, poorly-worded "AirBNB bad."

Very even-handed sampling, Jersey Journal.

Quote:

neverleft wrote:

Editor?s note: When Jersey City voters go to the polls Nov. 5, they?ll be asked a referendum question on whether the city should put into effect (VOTE YES) or overturn (VOTE NO) a new city law that puts restrictions on short-term rentals of properties such as Airbnb. The law, approved in June, allows homeowners who are on-site to share their home 365 days a year and calls for an annual 60-day cap for short-term rentals if the property owner is not on-site. It prohibits short-term rentals in buildings with more than four units and phases out existing short-term rental contracts in those buildings by Jan. 1, 2021. It also prohibits renters from serving as short-term rental hosts.

Posted on: 2019/10/14 0:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/10/11 23:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
A quick search of Airbnb for a week in November seems to show that significant chunk of listings are in the less gentrified areas of JC where the owners probably could whatever help they can get.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2019/10/11 22:25

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I would like to see landlords make a little extra money.
If someone has a 5 unit building they should profit just like the one with a 4 unit building. With the tax increases and rent control laws there isn't much left for the owner.
Perhaps the ordinance can allow no more than 1 airbnb or short-term rental unit per building rather than block it completely.

I also don't think because there was vomit on 1st street we shouldn't have airbrb. If the vomit was on newark ave they will not shut down the business that served the drinks. Perhaps we can go back to having dollars stores on the avenue?

This reminds me of the lunch truck debate. Should they be allowed to serve next to brick and mortar stores who pay high taxes or high rent. I'm ok with having both.

Posted on: 2019/10/11 19:17

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 15:19
From JC Heights
Group:
Registered Users
It's pretty tough to find good rundowns on this issue. On the one hand, the mailers from the pro-AirBnB side are pure trash and not very convincing. On the other side, the anti-AirBnB side says they are responsible for rent increases, etc. Not very convincing.

I've used AirBnB quite a bit. They are sort of like a less specious Uber in a way. They are obviously undercutting the hotel business and, surprise, that's who's funding the Fulop side of this. On the other hand, some of these AirBnB places are going for rock bottom prices - not so much undercutting the market but totally changing the market entirely.

I'm not convinced they are responsible for rent increases. Rents have increased steadily long before these tech startups like Uber and AirBnB have changed entire markets.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that community matters and lean more toward a YIMBY than NIMBY. That said, the actual regulations seem sensible to me. I'm a little suspicious of this whole issue simply because the money involved on both sides of this campaign seems extreme for what's at stake.

My gut says to vote with Fulop on this one simply because these tech startups / giants need to pay their way and play by some rules as well. There's no way these new regs put them out of business. If you own your house and it's not beyond 4 units, nothing much changes from what I've read. If you have more than 4 units, well just rent it out like everyone else. Renters typically have sublet restrictions and these regs just write them into law sensibly, IMO.

If AirBnB is willing to spend this much money on this campaign, it's got to be hitting their wallets and I'm okay with that. Frankly, many of the places I've stayed at via AirBnB over the years were crazy cheap compared to market rates. I like a deal as much as the next person but it's almost like they're deliberately low to increase their market share over time, same as Uber. That can't last forever.

Posted on: 2019/10/11 0:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/29 21:36
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:

My count as of 10/10/2019 6 vote NO with the "Municipal Question 1 is a BAN" line and 1 vote YES.

I will be voting YES not only because of the many misleading mailers but also because of stories like this:

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
There was a sizeable blast of vomit on and in front of the stoop of the Air BNB hotel at 222 First Street. Since the owner lives in the Hamptons, and there's no housekeeping on Sunday, the neighbors got to walk around this treat for the entire weekend.

Good times.

For every story like this there was probably twenty others where there was no vomit, where local Jersey Airbnb host was able to earn a nice little sum and where Airbnb renters were decent people that didn't cause any issues.
I personally have used Airbnb for all my trips to Honolulu the last few years hand have always managed to get a very clean ,freshly renovated place with parking for 30% less than what a compareable hotel would cost. I am sure Airbnb renters in Jersey city are also able to save some money while allowing the owner to earn a little money.
I am going to be voting no even though this doesn't directly impact me. My condo doesn't allow Airbnb. The way I see it, property owners in JC have been hard twice last year, first with the reval , then with the capping of the the SALT at $10,000. Now the city seems to want to make it harder to earn a little extra from their property.

Posted on: 2019/10/10 21:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frinjc wrote:
I received my 4th mailer today, 3 total to vote no, 1 to vote yes. Therefore at this point I am voting... yes. #NotFullyBrainWashedYet

My count as of 10/10/2019 6 vote NO with the "Municipal Question 1 is a BAN" line and 1 vote YES.

I will be voting YES not only because of the many misleading mailers but also because of stories like this:

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
There was a sizeable blast of vomit on and in front of the stoop of the Air BNB hotel at 222 First Street. Since the owner lives in the Hamptons, and there's no housekeeping on Sunday, the neighbors got to walk around this treat for the entire weekend.

Good times.

Posted on: 2019/10/10 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City?s police and fire unions endorse effort to preserve Airbnb regulations

Updated 3:00 PM; Today 2:51 PM (10/9/2019)
By Joshua Rosario | The Jersey Journal

A trio of police and fire unions are joining the fight over the future of the short-term rental industry in Jersey City, endorsing a campaign to preserve new regulations on Airbnb and companies like it.

Mayor Steve Fulop will announce Thursday morning the Jersey City Fire Officers Association, the Uniformed Fire Fighters Association of Jersey City, and the Jersey City Police Superior Officers Association are endorsing the effort to vote yes on Municipal Question 1 next month.

more

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/jers ... e-airbnb-regulations.html

Posted on: 2019/10/9 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I received my 4th mailer today, 3 total to vote no, 1 to vote yes. Therefore at this point I am voting... yes. #NotFullyBrainWashedYet

Posted on: 2019/10/8 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users

Good times.

Posted on: 2019/10/7 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
City warns Airbnb group to stop posting campaign literature on public property

Updated 5:08 PM; Today 3:48 PM (10/4/2019)
By Joshua Rosario | The Jersey Journal

Jersey City?s Quality of Life Task Force is warning the group that wants to overturn the city?s short-term rental regulations to stop posting campaign literature on public property ? or face fines.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/city ... e-on-public-property.html

Posted on: 2019/10/5 0:36

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017