Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: End of AirBnB in Jersey City?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
The issue is that if you are living in a building where lots of units are Air Bnb then they need to let you know up front so you can decide if you want to live with that.
If you have a building that's completely AirBnb then it needs to have signage indicating that so once again, people can decide if they want to live there.
I wouldn't live in a building with strangers constantly coming in and out, and neither would a lot of other people.
Second, how do people not see what this does to the housing market? Not to mention neighborhoods.
There is a big difference between people renting their house here and there or even a room, particularly if it's owner occupied.

But, again, this measure is overly aggressive in trying to solve this problem. If I want to spend the Summer away and rent out my unit to a friend, or even a stranger, for the month or two I will be away, I would not be allowed to do so legally, even if I had the consent of my landlord, as I live in a building with 5+ units. Where's the harm in that scenario?

Posted on: 2019/6/11 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
The issue is that if you are living in a building where lots of units are Air Bnb then they need to let you know up front so you can decide if you want to live with that.
If you have a building that's completely AirBnb then it needs to have signage indicating that so once again, people can decide if they want to live there.
I wouldn't live in a building with strangers constantly coming in and out, and neither would a lot of other people.
Second, how do people not see what this does to the housing market? Not to mention neighborhoods.
There is a big difference between people renting their house here and there or even a room, particularly if it's owner occupied.

Posted on: 2019/6/11 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:

I read the ordinance. The AirBNB spokeswoman is correct about it pretty much killing the business outside of owner-occupied 1 to 3 family buildings.

Non-owner occupied properties are essentially banned (over 3 units) or severely limited (28 days max a year). With the limits and the registration fees, AirBnB becomes non economical to do, which is I think the point of the regulations.

As the next-door neighbor of an entire apartment building that's being run as an AirBNB hotel, I applaud this restriction. The developer pitched this new construction to the neighborhood and zoning board as rental apartments, and then promptly furnished them and listed them all on AirBNB and comparable overseas short-term rental sites. He lives in the Hamptons, and his neighbors get to deal with the noise and confusion of a stream of transient visitors. (Confusion because, weekly, one of them sets off the fire alarm, and our street is filled with ladder trucks. Maybe label your system more clearly, absentee concierge?)
isn't there a limit of 5 units? why doesn't the city enforce the 5 unit limit first

Why allow 5 units in the first place?? That is insane.
Subletting your home while you're on vacation: awesome.
Renting out a spare room or mother-in-law suite: super.
Removing 5 rental units from the market to run your own ad hoc hotel in a residential neighborhood: hell no.

The 5-unit limit to which hero69 alluded is about the provision that no one in a building with 5 units or more would be allowed to list their unit on AirBnb. I think that is an arbitrary, BS provision. Why should the local government get to tell me (or, anyone for that matter) what I (or, they) can do with a unit as long as other laws are not being broken? As you yourself mentioned, if I want to go on an extended vacation and rent out my place to recoup some of my costs, why should I not be allowed to do so? Personally, I am not sure I would ever open my place to complete strangers, but I have used AirBnb in many places around the world, and the experiences have been great: I often get to meet people (the hosts) that offer great ideas and suggestions, and have even made some good acquaintances in the process. It also allows for a more immersive experience when traveling. And, yes, I have also saved some money in the process.

This entire thing reeks of BS: the city "tabled" the previous motion, but they are now trotting out a clone of the original proposal, and a secondary one with more or less the same restrictions with the added "upside" of grandfathering previous AirBnb hosts in buildings with 5 or more units. Either way, I think this is a gross overreach by the local government. If the proposal is adopted, I hope they are taken to court and forced to roll back the law. Given the recent track record of JC in state courts, I would say the odds of losing are pretty good.

Posted on: 2019/6/10 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:

I read the ordinance. The AirBNB spokeswoman is correct about it pretty much killing the business outside of owner-occupied 1 to 3 family buildings.

Non-owner occupied properties are essentially banned (over 3 units) or severely limited (28 days max a year). With the limits and the registration fees, AirBnB becomes non economical to do, which is I think the point of the regulations.

As the next-door neighbor of an entire apartment building that's being run as an AirBNB hotel, I applaud this restriction. The developer pitched this new construction to the neighborhood and zoning board as rental apartments, and then promptly furnished them and listed them all on AirBNB and comparable overseas short-term rental sites. He lives in the Hamptons, and his neighbors get to deal with the noise and confusion of a stream of transient visitors. (Confusion because, weekly, one of them sets off the fire alarm, and our street is filled with ladder trucks. Maybe label your system more clearly, absentee concierge?)
isn't there a limit of 5 units? why doesn't the city enforce the 5 unit limit first

Why allow 5 units in the first place?? That is insane.
Subletting your home while you're on vacation: awesome.
Renting out a spare room or mother-in-law suite: super.
Removing 5 rental units from the market to run your own ad hoc hotel in a residential neighborhood: hell no.

Posted on: 2019/6/10 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
New rules for Airbnb up for consideration at next Jersey City Council meeting

Posted Jun 7, 6:26 PM (2019)
By Jersey Journal staff

JERSEY CITY ? A busy week lies ahead for the city council starting Monday, as it considers ordinances that could sharply reduce short-term apartment rentals, lift the requirements for affordable housing in new developments, and create more parking areas for food trucks.

Beginning at a caucus session Monday and then continuing at its regular meeting Wednesday, the council will consider two competing proposals to crack down on short-term rentals, such as those offered by many homeowners and apartment dwellers through Airbnb.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/06/new- ... city-council-meeting.html

Posted on: 2019/6/8 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Posted on: 2019/5/9 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

Posted on: 2019/5/9 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

BergenWood wrote:
Not surprising, but the Airbnb spokesperson in this video is very misleading and alarmist. I recommend reading for yourself (starting at about page 175 [or search for "short-term"):Short-term Rental Ordinance

The meeting with Yun and Boggiano was interesting as both mentioned they weren't given much in the way notice or time to review the proposed ordinance. Being a cynical person, I wonder if the reason for this proposed ordinance is not "protecting affordable housing" but instead due to lobbying and $$$ donations from a group with financial interests in hotels.

Posted on: 2019/5/8 14:31

Re: End of AirBnB in Jersey City? New Regs on Hold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/5/7 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
I'd love to know the real story behind Nick's rabid hatred of Neighbourhood Associations.

Owner of a a small business that was stifled? Former Vice President who lost out in a bitter power struggle over the park flowerbeds?

Robin.

We should organize a meet-up, I think alot of people would like this information. Somebody has clearly hurt him (sarcasm intended in case it's not apparent.)

Posted on: 2019/5/7 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tern wrote:
I'd love to know the real story behind Nick's rabid hatred of Neighbourhood Associations.

Owner of a a small business that was stifled? Former Vice President who lost out in a bitter power struggle over the park flowerbeds?

Robin.

We should organize a meet-up, I think alot of people would like this information. Somebody has clearly hurt him (sarcasm intended in case it's not apparent.)

Posted on: 2019/5/7 13:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Hide User information Joined : 2006/5/10 16:36 Last Login : Today 11:30 From Hamilton Park Group: Registered Users Posts: 887 Offline I'd love to know the real story behind Nick's rabid hatred of Neighbourhood Associations.

Coffee all over screen. Thanks for the morning laugh, Robin.

Posted on: 2019/5/7 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Robin.

Posted on: 2019/5/7 3:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
To the surprise of nobody, the NA's aren't lifting a finger to inform homeowners in their areas about this, nor are they putting out any statements about it. If someone were attempting to build 1 more apartment or 1 less parking spot than the prescribed zoning, there'd be instant lawsuits, but they seem to be totally cool with their homeowners getting fucked over. I wonder what the mayor promised their board members to secure their silence.

Posted on: 2019/5/7 0:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
There's a house on my street that is a continuous Airbnb. We see people with rolling bags every day. The best part is watching people trying to parallel park tiny cars in huge spaces...and they keep blowing it. I've ALMOST offered to park for them.

Posted on: 2019/5/6 14:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/16 13:02
Group:
Registered Users
Not surprising, but the Airbnb spokesperson in this video is very misleading and alarmist. I recommend reading for yourself (starting at about page 175 [or search for "short-term"):Short-term Rental Ordinance

Posted on: 2019/5/6 14:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
A Town Hall meeting on Airbnb hosted by Councilman Yun and Councilman Boggiano.
https://youtu.be/pvHzpgG9bOk

Posted on: 2019/5/5 2:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/27 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
I am not sure where I stand on the issue but in the past year I have seen many European tourists families in places that you would previously not have expected like throughout the heights and around JSQ.

Posted on: 2019/5/2 16:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/25 19:36
Group:
Registered Users
Is that organization for property owners still around today? What was the name? The ordinance is so one-sided, it is unbelievable.

Posted on: 2019/4/27 20:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I remember the 1985 ordinance and I went to the Hudson County Tax Board and heard a commissioner tell the city and Duda that JC cannot pass a tax increase on to tenants. The landlord receives the increase and his only solution is the tax court. I also still remember then Councilman O'Dea said, he had problems with this ordinance but he voted for it anyway. JC then had a larger rent controlled population than today. Many of those buildings owned by small homeowners became condos after the change in the rent-control ordinance. I also remember the 'public fights' between Bob Sacks of St. Johns apt and this tenant who became Councilman Buddy Brooks, ironically, Brooks died shorty after that ordinance and the city council renamed part of a street in St. Johns after him. Bob Sacks eventually started an organization for property owners and went after Mayor Bret Schundler's spending in JC. Actually, the rent control ordinance should be renamed 'I will get even Bob Sacks ordinance.'

Posted on: 2019/4/27 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
485 Marin is a large airbnb and is advertised as Lotus Newport on Expedia and Lotus at Marin Apartments on hotel planner website. If I lived at 485 Marin and found out it was being used as 'hotel' I would not be very happy. Kushner !!!!!!

Posted on: 2019/4/27 19:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You are both right. They go by income and by comps. Most owners I know don?t fill out those forms providing their income information and copies of their taxes so they get stuck with assessments based on comps. If you want to increase the rents (because of the high taxes) you have to go through the rent control office and file a hardship increase. If you hire an attorney to help you through this process it would cost about 10k.

1985 is a long time. I wish they updated the ordinance and were reasonable (for both landlord and tenant). It has been a $35 charge for a late fee since 1985.

Posted on: 2019/4/27 11:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
The rent control ordinance was redone in 1985. The late Councilman Buddy Brooks lived in St. Johns apts. He always had a beef with Bob Sacks, the guy who ran the place. When Brooks won his Ward C seat, he had the ordinance changed protecting tenants. Landlords cannot pass on a tax increase to tenants. When taxes go up, they, the owners, go to tax court to win an appeal and we the public float bonds to repay them. I was a tax court with a friend recently because she did not understand the process. Before she was called, I watched the tax board reduced an assessments on a rent control building by one million, the commissioner said, other Hudson County towns allow tax pass alongs but not JC so the owner is entitled to a reduction. I have no problem with rent control but if you vote and want services especially school services, then you should pay the taxes. It is the reason why small landlords decided to sell their buildings and they are now condos. By the way, new construction is exempt from JC rent control laws.

Oh Yvonne, I've explained commercial appraisals to you many times in the past, yet you obstinately refuse to understand. A commercial property, which refers to any building of more than 4 units or having a commercial space, is appraised not by comps but by income. If you limit the income by rent control, you limit the value of the property, and thus the assessment and tax. No wonder those buildings are condo bait!!! It's the only way to get market value for the property.

Posted on: 2019/4/26 21:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The rent control ordinance was redone in 1985. The late Councilman Buddy Brooks lived in St. Johns apts. He always had a beef with Bob Sacks, the guy who ran the place. When Brooks won his Ward C seat, he had the ordinance changed protecting tenants. Landlords cannot pass on a tax increase to tenants. When taxes go up, they, the owners, go to tax court to win an appeal and we the public float bonds to repay them. I was a tax court with a friend recently because she did not understand the process. Before she was called, I watched the tax board reduced an assessments on a rent control building by one million, the commissioner said, other Hudson County towns allow tax pass alongs but not JC so the owner is entitled to a reduction. I have no problem with rent control but if you vote and want services especially school services, then you should pay the taxes. It is the reason why small landlords decided to sell their buildings and they are now condos. By the way, new construction is exempt from JC rent control laws.

Posted on: 2019/4/26 17:33

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wish James Solomon worked on updating the rent control ordinance. I think it has been the same since the 80?s. I have ?tenants? who don?t really live in the apartment and have others staying. I am sure they are subletting/Airbnb type. In NY you need to have the apartment as your primary residency. Not here.

Posted on: 2019/4/26 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
there are a glut of apartments in downtown jersey city. from what i have seen rents for older homes have been falling

really? could you post a few that are a part of this "glut" i have friends that are currently looking for something reasonable.
thanks in advance.
what do they consider reasonable? What us their price range, how many beds, new or old? They should check out Craigslist, delforno or armagno, etc.

Posted on: 2019/4/26 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
there are a glut of apartments in downtown jersey city. from what i have seen rents for older homes have been falling

really? could you post a few that are a part of this "glut" i have friends that are currently looking for something reasonable.
thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2019/4/26 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/4/26 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/4 21:55
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The proposed regulation differentiate between smaller owner-occupied buildings and larger non-owner unoccupied ones. I wonder what criteria they used to restrict to 3-family or below. Certainly it seems to be unfair to owner occupied 4 family buildings that already face state inspection schedules and regulations. One the topic of the licensing fee, are the proposed $500 and $300 renewal fees going to replace the ~6% tax that prevailed before? Imho it would be much simpler to have a fixed day city fee added to the rent. I have seen this working in Italy and I thought it was an appropriate way to remind folks that there are folks taking care of the city - and they should behave appropriately.

Posted on: 2019/4/26 10:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
A closer look at Jersey City?s crackdown on Airbnb and other short-term rentals
Updated Apr 25, 6:41 PM; Posted Apr 25, 5:53 PM
By Michaelangelo Conte | The Jersey Journal

On any given night, about 1,300 rental units in Downtown Jersey City are rented out through services like Airbnb, helping boost the city?s economy and bolster local tourism.

But Councilman James Solomon says Airbnb and services like it also drive up rents, making it a key reason why he and other support an ordinance severely limiting short-term rentals.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/04/a-cl ... r-short-term-rentals.html

Posted on: 2019/4/26 8:32

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017