Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Commuter gondola plan gets off ground....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
In terms of money and cost per passenger, it could be feasible. Several other cities and countries have invested in these new gondola solutions with much success.

I agree it's feasible, unlike the bridge. I'm just not certain how the number can be much better than a ferry. The problem I saw looking into it was the intrinsically limited capacity, whether the balanced 2 car system with giant cars carrying hundreds of people like in Vietnam, or the many car system like a ski lift that are much smaller and typically 8 passenger.

I decided the latter was better, because you can create multi-stop lines. You could have a line coming from the West Side Watefront, a stop at Mcginley Sq, Exchange Pl, and then over to WTC or BPC.

Posted on: 2019/4/23 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Ralph_Abutts wrote:
I hope the gondolas can handle the high wind gusts. Cycling over the bridge at times was a white knuckle affair.

This is a common concern, and a valid one. But, newer gondola systems can withstand really high sustained winds. It wouldn't be at all out of the ordinary for such a system to be rated to be able to hand 45+ MPH winds.

The biggest issue, as with any other potential solution, is getting the right of way (and, right of air) lined up for such a system. Where do you place towers? Would an existing building be willing to partner with the system to have platforms located there, making it easier for actual rollout? Can you get past (or, survive) the inevitable legal challenges? What's clear is that something needs to be done: we can't really run more PATH trains (a few more per hour in the morning will not fix the issues of the expected growth) and longer trains would require huge work at some stations, making unpleasant/unworkable. New tunnels could take YEARS and budgets that are not realistic given fiscal situation in NY and NJ. A pedestrian bridge will never happen. A gondola is truly much more achievable in the short term. Or, outsource the tunnel boring to someone like the Boring company and let them get it done in a fraction of the time that the local unions would allow. Just think of the Second Avenue "subway" which is two miles long, with service spanning just over a mile, and took almost 10 YEARS to get three measly stations opened up over ~25 blocks. A trans-Hudson tunnel would take just as long if you do it the traditional way, allowing for local unions and corrupt processes.

Posted on: 2019/4/23 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/10 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
I hope the gondolas can handle the high wind gusts. Cycling over the bridge at times was a white knuckle affair.

Posted on: 2019/4/23 17:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Now a Hudson Gondola from Xchange Pl to WTC is an awesome idea.

How is that a good idea?

I guess you missed the previous discussion. It's really only a good idea by comparison to the pedestrian bridge notion some people actually insist is a good idea because they want to walk to Manhattan.

I don't know. I used to be pretty dismissive of the gondola idea until I did more research into it. The new, more modern gondola solutions are incredibly efficient at moving large amounts of people, and there would be the additional revenue source of tourists that will undoubtedly take it during the day to get that killer view of the Hudson from above.

In terms of money and cost per passenger, it could be feasible. Several other cities and countries have invested in these new gondola solutions with much success.

Posted on: 2019/4/23 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

val7101 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

How is that a good idea?

I guess you missed the previous discussion. It's really only a good idea by comparison to the pedestrian bridge notion some people actually insist is a good idea because they want to walk to Manhattan.

Posted on: 2019/4/23 16:43

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/13 5:18
Group:
Registered Users
Remember the ferries? If only there was a ferry that ran from Staten Island to NYC. Hmmmmm

Quote:

sullyx wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
It means more people will be riding the PATH which is ridiculous.

no, that's not at all what it means. Remember the ferries? but I guess if you want more cars on the road and fewer people taking public transportation...

Posted on: 2019/4/23 16:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
It really comes down to more rail tunnels into NYC. They. over the long run, are simply the most efficient mode of transportation.

Posted on: 2019/4/23 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/20 13:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Hmm, seems pretty silly considering how underutilized that bridge is. Just make a shuttle bus route over it from a commuter lot on SI. Google says it's less than 10 minutes @8am.

How is that a good idea? Because so many people get off the Path and take the ferry now? Because it's so easy to get to Exchange Place on the bus and then you want to get off and get on a gondola? Given the number of people that can get on gondola, how would that even be remotely cost effective or efficient?
I think rentable jet packs would be awesome. You would dock them like Citibike on each side of the river. At least getting to work would be fun. So what if you lose a few people in the river? There's more where they came from.

Posted on: 2019/4/23 13:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

sullyx wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

no, that's not at all what it means. Remember the ferries? but I guess if you want more cars on the road and fewer people taking public transportation...

I have been riding the PATH since the 1960s, I am not asking for a seat, just a little space between people. My suggestion, during, flu season, try to avoid the PATH because someone is sick and you are breathing the same air.

Posted on: 2019/4/22 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Posted on: 2019/4/22 19:39
utterly deplorable

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/4/22 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Hmm, seems pretty silly considering how underutilized that bridge is. Just make a shuttle bus route over it from a commuter lot on SI. Google says it's less than 10 minutes @8am.

Posted on: 2019/4/22 18:37

Commuter gondola plan gets off ground....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Commuter gondola plan gets off ground, but Bayonne says it?s being left out of the loop

Updated 12:51 PM; Today 11:05 AM (4/22/2019)
By Ron Zeitlinger | The Jersey Journal

Staten Island officials are serious about building a gondola between the New York borough and Bayonne, and they are bringing their New Jersey neighbor along for the ride.

At a business conference last week, Staten Island officials unveiled the results of a study of a gondola plan, which would cut down on the commute time for Staten Islanders getting into Manhattan, the Staten Island Advance reported. The start-up cost would be $168 million, officials said. The rides would cost $4 to $6 each way, and the drop-off point in Bayonne would be the Eighth Street Light Rail Station.

https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/04/comm ... left-out-of-the-loop.html

Posted on: 2019/4/22 17:53

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017