Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Recommendations & Advice - Gut Renovation of Brownstone (one floor)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
Good luck to you. The really good general contractors seem to be too busy and not really available for awhile.

And they're not shy about giving eye popping bids because they feel they can. What you have to watch out for is a "good contractor" who takes on workers to be able to take on more jobs. I've gotten crappy work from a previously good contractor even though I gave him a more or less open schedule.

The problem with getting this kind of work done is everything looks so great compared with what was there before, that they're paid and gone before you really see the crappy details. I've had to rip out work and do it myself.

Posted on: 2019/3/28 17:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
Good luck to you. The really good general contractors seem to be too busy and not really available for awhile. There are a lot of handymen or contractors who have traditionally had only one focus that have recently started holding themselves out as general contractors. My next door neighbors used "On Time Construction" or something like that. Their demo guy stole from my neighbors and the general contractor woefully underperformed after taking a lot of money. As it turned out this particular contractor had previously only done bathrooms and kitchens.

When hiring a general contractor, get three bids. Get four references that you could speak to. Get a detailed scope of work in writing. Make sure the scope of work has set time lines and miles tones of when work is to be complete with an associated payment schedule. The contract for work should have a provision for penalties for not completing on time.

Good luck to you.

Posted on: 2019/3/28 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Adam Szpala did a small project for us, but larger ones for friends. We found him reliable, on budget, and clean.

Posted on: 2019/3/27 14:55

Recommendations & Advice - Gut Renovation of Brownstone (one floor)

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/26 20:50
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Getting ready to do a full renovation of just one condo (flat / apartment / floor) of a brownstone. Looking for recommendations for contractors - really looking for the most reliable, on time / on budget contractors out there - with experience in JC. I am obviously concerned about price - but it is not my primary concern - I want to find someone that gives accurate estimates, timelines and does really fine work.

Thanks for your help!

Also - any advice as to what to expect per sq ft costs (for actual renovation work - I already have an architect).

Posted on: 2019/3/26 20:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017