Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Overheard at Word
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Very good call...

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
new user. two posts. I take his/her reporting with a huge grain of salt.

What are you suggesting? They work for another bookstore? Oooh! How diabolical. She posted her experience. Give me a break.

Nope... Would never inject myself between two battling book stores as you surmise.

But looking at the original poster's recent snide comment and the link... it was pretty obvious the original post was fake story.... no idea about the intention?

Posted on: 2019/3/5 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

135jc wrote:
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Very good call...

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

What are you suggesting? They work for another bookstore? Oooh! How diabolical. She posted her experience. Give me a break.

or they have a beef with the owner. or they're a troll. or (insert any one of a myriad of reasons why somebody would like to smear a small local business).

Posted on: 2019/3/4 20:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
Very good call...

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

Posted on: 2019/3/4 19:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I prefer e-reading to paper books but when I am go to Word, it's rare that the place isn't jumping.

Posted on: 2019/3/4 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Very good call...

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

Posted on: 2019/3/4 12:30

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/3 16:38
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Well done all! Point proved. Here?s some timely reading https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytim ... cal-polarization.amp.html

Posted on: 2019/3/4 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Because of the title of this thread, I feel the need to insert the clip featuring this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gc4QTqslN4

On another note, it's amazing a bookstore can make any money at all these days in an age of Amazon. The only time I ever even enter a bookstore these days is to buy Christmas gifts. The owners can do whatever they want I suppose, but seems like listening to your customers' requests seems more important than ever.

Posted on: 2019/2/28 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

I wanted to say that immediately, but then thought I'd just be fulfilling the JCList stereotype. Someone who registers just to slag a local business needs to be taken at less than face value.

Posted on: 2019/2/28 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
Sorry, this is how the world works. We get the good bookstores, you guys get JCList.

Post of the month.

Posted on: 2019/2/28 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Bingo.

Posted on: 2019/2/28 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

uptown wrote:
Metropolitan Diary of last Friday afternoon....

While browsing early afternoon in Word, I heard this exchange between a customer (he did make a purchase) and the manager (? perhaps, older guy):

Customer: It would be good if you had more titles -- not just liberal and left -- more of a range.

Manager: This is what we have. Gotta a problem ; tough! (he went from zero to 60 pretty quick)

Customer: I'm just saying. There are a lot of people in this town. The selection is pretty slim.

Manager: Well you can shop elsewhere you creep!

That's verbatim....and it continued a little bit. The customer just paid for his hard cover (I think the place is often too $) and left.

We should all think about the echo chambers we occupy -- well, I do -- and this bothered me alot. Being the only bookstore in town gives Word a certain confidence I guess but I'll think more about just using NYC I think.

Well, it is the right of the bookstore, or any store for that matter, to stock the product it desires. If the customer was not satisfied, shop somewhere else?

At least the manager didn't refuse to service the customer, say like a baker who refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding. Or a county court clerk who refused to issue a marriage licence to a gay couple. Nor did the manager refuse to sell a customer a product in stock, like some pharmacists who refuse to sell Plan B or other contraceptives even though it's already on the shelf.

Please tell me how Word is so bad.

I guess the manager was just a greedy, capitalist, liberal, leftist that wanted the customer's money no matter what and he didn't have any values or principals (other than greed and unlike the baker) to tell the customer to go pound salt. So sad.

Quite frankly, I take the whole thing with a grain of salt. But at least liberals don't deny rights to others.

Posted on: 2019/2/28 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

uptown wrote:

While browsing early afternoon in Word, I heard this exchange between a customer (he did make a purchase) and the manager (? perhaps, older guy):

Customer: It would be good if you had more titles -- not just liberal and left -- more of a range.

Manager: This is what we have. Gotta a problem ; tough! (he went from zero to 60 pretty quick)

Customer: I'm just saying. There are a lot of people in this town. The selection is pretty slim.

That's verbatim....and it continued a little bit. The customer just paid for his hard cover (I think the place is often too $) and left.

We should all think about the echo chambers we occupy -- well, I do -- and this bothered me alot. Being the only bookstore in town gives Word a certain confidence I guess but I'll think more about just using NYC I think.

Well, it is the right of the bookstore, or any store for that matter, to stock the product it desires. If the customer was not satisfied, shop somewhere else?

At least the manager didn't refuse to service the customer, say like a baker who refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding. Or a county court clerk who refused to issue a marriage licence to a gay couple. Nor did the manager refuse to sell a customer a product in stock, like some pharmacists who refuse to sell Plan B or other contraceptives even though it's already on the shelf.

I guess the manager was just a greedy, capitalist, liberal, leftist that wanted the customer's money no matter what and he didn't have any values or principals (other than greed and unlike the baker) to tell the customer to go pound salt. So sad.

Posted on: 2019/2/28 3:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Tend to agree... getting insulted by a clerk and then still buying the book seemed odd behavior.

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

Posted on: 2019/2/28 2:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/2/27 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichMauro wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Do you think Word sells any books to teach people that "alot" isn't a word?

Finally.

Now if we could just get the its, it's thing right while we're at it.

You may be aiming too high.

Posted on: 2019/2/27 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/1 14:07
From Earth
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:

Finally.

Now if we could just get the its, it's thing right while we're at it.

Posted on: 2019/2/27 18:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, this is how the world works. We get the good bookstores, you guys get JCList.

Posted on: 2019/2/27 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/2/27 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsNative wrote:
Ah yes, the moral relativist argument. Otherwise knows as the race to the bottom. The kind of response that comes from true dopes.

The difference is that you?re defending one and supporting the other. Rather than being consistent and supporting both or chiding both. Ya dope.

Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

uptown wrote:

While it's true that I'm defending the bookstore, I'm not defending the manager, but more important my point was I'm comparing the difference between a store that doesn't carry a certain product and a store that refuses to serve certain people. I don't agree with the manager's actions, and perhaps I should have made that clear. But I won't criticize the bookstore for it's choice of product. Just like I won't criticize a religious bookstore for its contents. I would criticize any store that refuses to serve a customer just based on their political views.

Posted on: 2019/2/27 13:06

Edited by mscottc on 2019/2/27 13:32:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

uptown wrote:

The store is absolutely right to sell what they want. If the conversation was accurate and I was the owner, I would be very upset the way the employee spoke to a customer. Very unprofessional. Especially when my competition is Amazon and B&N online.

I am surprised the customer brought the book after being called a "creep"... that sounds odd.

Posted on: 2019/2/27 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 12:43
Group:
Registered Users
Why would the person still buy the book? Does not make sense. Also, I consider my self to the center but I want to start hanging out on Newark Ave in a MAGA hat...

Posted on: 2019/2/27 3:42
The All Knowing and All Powerful Joe Has Spoken!

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Carrying books from not-the-left is a matter of conscience? Puleez

Posted on: 2019/2/27 1:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/22 2:50
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe Murphy can ask for Rosie's release when he is asking Trump for Gateway money. Although he might not be aware of her situation as it wont be reported on CNN.

Posted on: 2019/2/27 0:48

Edited by 135jc on 2019/2/27 1:11:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
(the power of the MAGA hat)

Woman who attacked man wearing 'MAGA' hat was illegal immigrant, taken into ICE custody: officials

By Katherine Lam | Fox News (2/26/2019)

A woman who was arrested last week for allegedly attacking a man wearing a ?Make America Great Again? hat at a Massachusetts restaurant is an illegal immigrant from Brazil, Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials said.

ICE officers detained Rosiane Santos, 41, on Tuesday after they discovered she was in the U.S. illegally, Boston 25 News reported.

"Deportation officers with ICE's Fugitive Operations Team arrested Rosie Santos, an unlawfully present citizen of Brazil," ICE said in a statement. "Santos is facing local charges for assault and other offenses. She is presently in ICE custody and has been entered into removal proceedings before the federal immigration courts."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/woman-who-a ... nt-taken-into-ice-custody

Posted on: 2019/2/26 23:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/3 19:14
From Chilltown
Group:
Registered Users
Ah yes, the moral relativist argument. Otherwise knows as the race to the bottom. The kind of response that comes from true dopes.

The difference is that you?re defending one and supporting the other. Rather than being consistent and supporting both or chiding both. Ya dope.

Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

uptown wrote:

Posted on: 2019/2/26 23:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
I dare you to walk into the bookstore with a red MAGA hat on and ask if they carry Trump The Art of the Deal. The meltdown would make a great YouTube video. Probably get more hits then the Vape Shop guy.

Sad about JC book stores I used to go to one up Journal Square and one down in Hudson Mall when I was younger.

(yikes maybe not)

81-year-old Trump supporter was physically assaulted in dust-up over his MAGA hat, cops say

Updated 2:52 PM; Posted 2:40 PM
By Noah Cohen | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

An 81-year-old man was assaulted in an attack that reportedly stemmed from a dispute over the ?Make America Great Again? hat he was wearing at a Franklin Township supermarket, authorities said Tuesday.

https://www.nj.com/somerset/2019/02/81 ... is-maga-hat-cops-say.html

Posted on: 2019/2/26 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

uptown wrote:

Posted on: 2019/2/26 20:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

uptown wrote:

womp womp

Posted on: 2019/2/26 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I dare you to walk into the bookstore with a red MAGA hat on and ask if they carry Trump The Art of the Deal. The meltdown would make a great YouTube video. Probably get more hits then the Vape Shop guy.

Sad about JC book stores I used to go to one up Journal Square and one down in Hudson Mall when I was younger.

Posted on: 2019/2/26 20:03

Overheard at Word

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2019/2/26 18:56

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017