Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Post Office-Parking
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster wrote:
Quote:
I've often wondered about this concept when I see cars parked facing the wrong way on 2 way streets. Clearly at some point they were driving on the wrong side of the road. I don't recall seeing it in JC, but there are places this is accepted culture.

At some point, several years after moving to the USA, I was surprised to be informed by friends that I would be ticketed if I parked facing against traffic.

In England there is no expectation cars will park facing with traffic, one way streets are far less common, and people park based on the direction they were driving up the road, they won't turn around to ensure they face with traffic.

Though a quick web-search shows me that in England it *is* illegal to park facing against traffic at night, the explanation being that it can be harder to see cars from the front at night as fronts of cars don't have reflectors. I have never heard of this being enforced in England however, it is universally flouted.

Robin.

Posted on: 2018/12/18 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCman24 wrote:
To park on the sidewalk, you need to drive on the sidewalk. City and state law are very clear on this.

I've often wondered about this concept when I see cars parked facing the wrong way on 2 way streets. Clearly at some point they were driving on the wrong side of the road. I don't recall seeing it in JC, but there are places this is accepted culture.

Posted on: 2018/12/16 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
To park on the sidewalk, you need to drive on the sidewalk. City and state law are very clear on this. I don't see what complaints about packages have to do with this at all.

Posted on: 2018/12/16 3:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
LOL.... that is a whole other thread too! Add to that list picking up a signature required letter.

Quote:

brewster wrote:
I have more of a problem with them taking the metered parking spots, always in short supply. I hate having to go there to pick up a package they never even tried to deliver.

Posted on: 2018/12/15 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I have more of a problem with them taking the metered parking spots, always in short supply. I hate having to go there to pick up a package they never even tried to deliver.

Posted on: 2018/12/15 19:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That area is essentially dead space... between the ramp on the left of the photo and to the right (out of frame) are the side entry steps to the building, not to mention a few grown trees. No pedestrian would walk that space next to the building, because the clear obvious walkway is in the foreground.

You would have a better argument on the York Street side because they generally park opposite and parallel to the one way direction which means they need to backout on the sidewalk by the exit ramp or do a Y Turn on a very narrow sidewalk to face the correct direction and exit via ramp. Sometimes they are USPS cars looking at the windshield placards.

Either way, the real issue is that the USPS employee was being a real jerk to pedestrians and it might be more effective to speak with the Postmaster.

Posted on: 2018/12/15 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
If they're parking on a public sidewalk or in a way that would restrict access to those with disabilities, I would think that may be an ADA violation. You can submit a complaint here:

https://www.ada.gov/filing_complaint.htm

That may be the way around their non-compliance.

Posted on: 2018/12/15 16:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/27 14:41
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheBigGuy wrote:
I have never had an issue with them parking on the sidewalk...

Seriously? They have spots marked out on the sidewalk for supervisors to park in. They're there every day. I complained to the city once and they said they'd enforce it, but of course they didn't.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2018/12/15 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have never had an issue with them parking on the sidewalk... they are generally pretty courteous stopping for pedestrians as the enter the loading dock area from Montgomery. Or moving cars from that sidewalk to Montgomery.

I have noticed over last week there have been a couple of large trucks pulled right up to the marked/painted crosswalk on Washington & York. Need to be careful walking out from behind them to cross because you won't be seen by speeding drivers on Washington Street. That will only get worse as the snow piles up.

Parking the trucks has always been a problem in that area and I am sure there are some old threads about this issue. Sorry to hear you had a run with a jerk on the sidewalk.

Posted on: 2018/12/15 6:19

Post Office-Parking

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/14 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
Can we start to discuss the problem regarding the way the postal workers personal vehicles and delivery trucks illegally park (and drive) in the blocks surrounding the post office at Montgomery and Warren Street?
Was almost run over by employee (driving in reverse on the sidewalk) this morning who got out to curse at me to get out of her way. While I was walking on the SIDEWALK...

Posted on: 2018/12/14 21:52

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017