Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: The best bagel shop in North Jersey is... WONDER BAGLES
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Quote:

rosember wrote:
Why would you even ask? It goes great with the kielbasa, pierogi and stuffed cabbage purchased from the Polish store on Hutton Street.

I wish there was a good polish place in JC - there are a few so so ones in Bayonne but nothing like NYC - however Wallington out west has some good places.

I have family in LInden, and there are a few good Polish places there. Biedronka, on N Stiles is great.

Posted on: 2018/9/30 13:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

rosember wrote:
I never stated that there was a problem with Quality Kosher or Rabbi Hertzberg. Had you identified them up front, instead of responding with an arrogant attitude, your fragile feathers would never have been disturbed.

Holy crap, you're giving Trump competition in dialogue Erasure. You asked about the hechsher, all I said was to call them, you said you did, and proceeded to lecture me on how I shouldn't call something kosher if I'm not an expert in the field. Then you gave a shout out to a Polish grocer that sells no kosher products.
Quote:
Why would you even ask? It goes great with the kielbasa, pierogi and stuffed cabbage purchased from the Polish store on Hutton Street.

Was that not a recommendation but a dig at me somehow? I have never purchased anything at that store. Please explain your joke if that's what it was.

Posted on: 2018/9/21 4:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 18:03
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
[quote]

Rosember, did you seriously shitpost me about the validity of Hudson Bread's hechsher and then give a shout out to pork kielbasa and tref pierogi? BTW you never even said what your problem with Quality Kosher & Rabbi Isaiah Hertzberg was.

I did not, you did that all by yourself. There are people in the world that take the matter of Kashrus very seriously. I do not get insulted or defensive, when asked about the source of any certification. You took a natural question and demeaned the intent. You made the statement that it was Kosher. I gave no shoutout to any treif products, or even stated that they were treif.

The statement about pork kielbasa and treif pierogi came from a post you made, and speaks to your credibility, and seriousness about the issue of Kashrus, I made no inference or determination.

I never stated that there was a problem with Quality Kosher or Rabbi Hertzberg. Had you identified them up front, instead of responding with an arrogant attitude, your fragile feathers would never have been disturbed.

Posted on: 2018/9/20 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

anonymess wrote: I like Wonder Bagels but object to anyone calling them bagels.

I object too! Bagels should be dense and chewy, not fluffy rolls with the hint of a hole in the middle.

Rosember, did you seriously shitpost me about the validity of Hudson Bread's hechsher and then give a shout out to pork kielbasa and tref pierogi? BTW you never even said what your problem with Quality Kosher & Rabbi Isaiah Hertzberg was.

Posted on: 2018/9/19 2:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
I don't comment often here, but nothing gets my gander up more than bagels. -)
While the folks and the owner of Wonder Bagels are nice enough, the bagels are a far cry from the traditional bagel of my wayward youth. The end of bagels as we used to know came with the onset of machine-made bagels and the end of Bagel Bakers Local #338 in the early 70s. This union was harder to get into than the Electrician's union and there were strict standards for bagel-making. Bagels barely existed at that time outside of NY/NJ and there was no such thing as frozen bagels let alone street vendors who sell bagels. I like Wonder Bagels but object to anyone calling them bagels. They're a step above what you get from street vendors.

As for challah, I concur that B&H is great. There's also a newcomer to the market - Breads in Union Square.

I don't know how up-to-date this map is, Newark Deli is still in business. I had a bagel there long ago and it was just like I remembered.

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/the-n ... est-bagel-in-every-state/

Posted on: 2018/9/18 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

rosember wrote:

I wish there was a good polish place in JC - there are a few so so ones in Bayonne but nothing like NYC - however Wallington out west has some good places.

Posted on: 2018/9/18 20:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I_heart_JC wrote: Quote:
iGreg wrote: Quote:
brewster wrote: Dough comes out, is braided and risen, egg painted and baked. There's NOTHING like challah fresh out of the oven! Whenever we have guests for Shabbat they think we're gods for making fresh challah every week.
Free Image Hosting at FunkyIMG.com
laughed. out. loud. but okay seriously, for we shiksas who believe that french toast should only be made with challah, where can we find it downtown? I'm using the brioche from the Korean on Bay Street, which is a fine substitute, but not perfect.
Best challah around is found at B&H Dairy on Second Ave off 8th Street. They sell full freshly baked loaves that will knock your argyle socks off. Have a bowl of borscht when there as well. Not sure where in JC you can find the good stuff but maybe the Penguins moving in to MLK will open a bakery soon.....

Posted on: 2018/9/18 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/12 20:58
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
and that's coming from someone who grew up on the North shore of Long Island where they're superior

Oh please, they pale in comparison to South shore bagels...and bialys.

Posted on: 2018/9/18 17:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
iGreg wrote: Quote:
brewster wrote: Dough comes out, is braided and risen, egg painted and baked. There's NOTHING like challah fresh out of the oven! Whenever we have guests for Shabbat they think we're gods for making fresh challah every week.
laughed. out. loud. but okay seriously, for we shiksas who believe that french toast should only be made with challah, where can we find it downtown? I'm using the brioche from the Korean on Bay Street, which is a fine substitute, but not perfect.

Posted on: 2018/9/18 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/10 14:50
From hamilton park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Nonsense. Hoboken Bagels kicks their big fluffy, nasty ass all over town. If someone gave me a bag of Wonder bagels I'd feed them to the ducks.

Those bagels in Hoboken are disgusting, Wonder bagel kicks their butt and that's coming from someone who grew up on the North shore of Long Island where they're superior

Posted on: 2018/9/18 15:41
utterly deplorable

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2018/9/18 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Posted on: 2018/9/18 2:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Haha

Ok, so to change the topic - where around here can you get challah bread?

At home. We fill the breadmaker Friday morning timed to be ready to pull the dough when we get home before the machine can bake it. Dough comes out, is braided and risen, egg painted and baked. There's NOTHING like challah fresh out of the oven! Whenever we have guests for Shabbat they think we're gods for making fresh challah every week.

Posted on: 2018/9/18 1:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Haha

Ok, so to change the topic - where around here can you get challah bread?

Posted on: 2018/9/18 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
It's a wonder that you are able to find a bagel.

Umm, which "you" are you addressing? If it's me, the answer is that I suffer, I suffer so much. I've told me wife not to bring home leftover bagels from Kiddush because she doesn't eat them so I'm then sentenced to eat bagels I hate.

Posted on: 2018/9/17 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's a wonder that you are able to find a bagel.

Posted on: 2018/9/17 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Thank God you're not debating a Mohel who took a little too much off the top!

#cuttings

Quote:

rosember wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

rosember wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Apparently Hudson Bread has recently started making bagels, we ordered some for the Synagogue Break-fast on Wed, and we'll see. Their rolls are great, and their stuff is kosher.

Can you provide a link to the organization or Rabbi that certifies them as kosher?

Why don't you actually contact them and ask about their hechsher if that's a concern of yours???

I did, and one should be more careful about spouting out terms they minimally know about. You do understand there are standards, and different people may observe these standards differently, but to spout a general statement, making yourself a self proclaimed expert is irresponsible.

And a happy new year to you!

Posted on: 2018/9/17 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

I did, and one should be more careful about spouting out terms they minimally know about. You do understand there are standards, and different people may observe these standards differently, but to spout a general statement, making yourself a self proclaimed expert is irresponsible.

What are you talking about? I said they're kosher, as in they have a hechsher, and that's all. When did I claim to be an expert (on anything but what's a great bagel)? I did not say who hechshered them, but the hechsher is good enough for United Synagogue of Hoboken Rabbi Sheinberg and my wife, and that's all that matters to me.

I will not go down the rabbit hole with you of all the different certification authorities that exist, but you're certainly free to pick the Mashgiach that you trust. There's always someone "holier than thou" that won't eat a piece of cold fruit in your kitchen, and that's simply a fact of Jewish life, but flings about other people being ignorant are not necessary just because they're not as anal as you are about who certifies their freaking bakery.

Posted on: 2018/9/17 17:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

rosember wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Apparently Hudson Bread has recently started making bagels, we ordered some for the Synagogue Break-fast on Wed, and we'll see. Their rolls are great, and their stuff is kosher.

Can you provide a link to the organization or Rabbi that certifies them as kosher?

Why don't you actually contact them and ask about their hechsher if that's a concern of yours???

Posted on: 2018/9/17 17:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
These guys will always have a place in my heart for how they reached out to the cat rescue community when Cookie got evicted, and then threw a bagel party at Fussy Friends after Cookie's successful adoption.

They are good eggs, and I like their bagels, too.

(You can follow Cookie on Instagram: cookie_the_wonder_cat)

Posted on: 2018/9/17 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

rosember wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2018/9/17 16:15

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Grove St.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:

Posted on: 2018/9/17 11:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2018/9/16 23:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Nonsense. Hoboken Bagels kicks their big fluffy, nasty ass all over town. If someone gave me a bag of Wonder bagels I'd feed them to the ducks.

They are not as dense as Murray's - they are very Jersey - puffy like a McMansion or a new SUV - I really like them! Especially when tossed almost burned!

Resized Image

Posted on: 2018/9/16 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2018/9/15 4:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
When I still lived in JC, I preferred the location at the end of Sip. Bigger, cleaner, seating, more variety, and right by the car wash.

Posted on: 2018/9/14 21:21

The best bagel shop in North Jersey is... WONDER BAGLES
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users

The best bagel shop in North Jersey is...

Wonder no more, bagel lovers. The bagel shop that received the most love from our bagel-loving readers is that downtown family-owned Jersey City institution, Wonder Bagels on Jersey Avenue. (There are six other locations, including two in Bayonne, but the Jersey Avenue spot is the most popular; for proof: see its long lines.) It's teeny — no tables, just a counter with eight seats — but it's a huge success.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ente ... s-jersey-city/1226311002/

Posted on: 2018/9/14 17:27

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017