Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Caterpillars in Trees.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

animalrelated wrote:
Why would anyone want less trees?

See this thread: http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=35098

You can see all of Yvonne's twisted justifications for refusing trees. You should thank her for all the empty tree pits and barren blocks you see around Downtown that could have had lovely canopies by now.

Posted on: 2018/9/6 0:42

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Why would anyone want less trees?

Posted on: 2018/9/5 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
we've got them in a big tree out back and they are spreading to neighboring trees. I believe the branches have to be cut and worms burned or boiled.

I've never seen them in JC before but they do seem to have a foothold now. Probably related to high temperatures/mild winters.

Not good for the trees that much is clear...

Posted on: 2018/9/4 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/3 18:37
From DTJC
Group:
Banned
Quote:

animalrelated wrote:
They are all over the trees around my building, they seem to be killing the entire tree (and pooping all over my stoop). Should I do something? Do they have any natural predators?

While on the topic of trees, how can I get more trees planted on my block? Seems like a few have died or been cut down and not replaced. I also see lots of empty sidewalk squares where a tree could go.

The lack of trees around Downtown is yet another Yvonne special. You can thank her for being actively hostile to having new trees planted and used her power when she ran the VVPA to prevent such.

Posted on: 2018/9/4 19:32

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/19 14:23
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
They are all over the trees around my building, they seem to be killing the entire tree (and pooping all over my stoop). Should I do something? Do they have any natural predators?

While on the topic of trees, how can I get more trees planted on my block? Seems like a few have died or been cut down and not replaced. I also see lots of empty sidewalk squares where a tree could go.

Posted on: 2018/9/4 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Saw a few trees starting to show these yesterday on Montgomery between Grove and Barrow.

Spreading fast!!!

Posted on: 2018/9/2 17:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/12/12 21:42
From on van vorst park
Group:
Registered Users
These are tent caterpillars that are capable of defoliating the host tree. They can have a life cycle of three years, and a cold winter does not kill the eggs they lay in late summer.

We are removing the tents by hand where we can reach, and place them in a sealed container. We are also spraying the tents with BT-K or Neem oil, both of which are non toxic to humans and pets.

This is the first time I've seen an outbreak this large in the 30 years I've lived here. We're trying hard limit the damage in Van Vorst Park.

-parkman

Posted on: 2018/9/2 17:00

Caterpillars in Trees.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone shed light on the plague of caterpillars that are currently covering trees downtown? Seems to be trees of all varieties impacted, my cherry tree has them, as do the plane trees, pear trees, seems indiscriminate.

The tree branches are covered in unsightly clumps of silk, with hundreds of caterpillars inside. The caterpillars that emerge from the clumps are small, white and hairy.

Anyone know what species this is, are they a new kind of moth that has infested this area? Or is this nornal, and I just haven't noticed it before?

Is it a threat to our trees? Should I cut the clumps off and kill the caterpillars? The birds don't seem to be eating them.

I have not noticed this in previous years.

Robin.

Posted on: 2018/9/2 16:02

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017