Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Income Sorting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Not at all. It's a huge problem and I don't think I said anything that would indicate otherwise.

I just hate shitty, sensational journalism posing as analysis.

And for the record - to your initial post - the term "Income sorting" isn't "setting the trend". It's acknowledging it.

Posted on: 2018/8/29 17:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
The premise is wrong on its face. People aren't "sorting" and poorer people aren't moving to Detroit or Cleveland, as the article suggests. One merely needs to look at the long term population trends in those cities to know that.

People go where opportunity lies. As Brewster points out, the industries in dynamic, coastal cities are growing and tend to demand a highly educated workforce. If there is any "sorting" going on, I'd argue it's driven by education. People from areas in decline with high levels of education are more easily able to seek better opportunities elsewhere. The less educated often get left behind.

Expensive housing is a function of this growth, not an additional problem (as the article argues.)

Gheez Sleez what a sad apologist you are for the income divide USA is experiencing.

#MC5

Posted on: 2018/8/29 15:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
The premise is wrong on its face. People aren't "sorting" and poorer people aren't moving to Detroit or Cleveland, as the article suggests. One merely needs to look at the long term population trends in those cities to know that.

People go where opportunity lies. As Brewster points out, the industries in dynamic, coastal cities are growing and tend to demand a highly educated workforce. If there is any "sorting" going on, I'd argue it's driven by education. People from areas in decline with high levels of education are more easily able to seek better opportunities elsewhere. The less educated often get left behind.

Expensive housing is a function of this growth, not an additional problem (as the article argues.)

Posted on: 2018/8/29 13:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
This is not really hard to parse. Great port cities have always been the most vibrant metropolises on earth, From Rio to Montreal to St Petersburg to Shanghai. There's far fewer great cities inland, and far fewer still if you eliminate river ports like Paris or Berlin.

Inland you find communities built around extraction and refining, whether it's corn or iron. Occasionally the elite of these cities have put serious money into making them livable places with art and culture, like Rochester or Pittsburgh. But mostly they're a place for young, educated people to leave.

The story of why we won't let builders build enough to equalize the housing market is another subject previously discussed.

Posted on: 2018/8/22 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I myself have always lived near the ocean (even in the old country) and cannot imagine myself living, in, say, PA

Quote:

iGreg wrote:
Very trend setting term.

Incoming Sorting

Posted on: 2018/8/21 22:02

Income Sorting
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC