Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
55 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 54

mscottc, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Plastic bag bans coming to Hoboken, Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I remember the activists going to television in the 1960s urging people to use plastic. They said the public was hurting the rain forest by using paper bags. I was skeptical at first since the bags look flimsy but unlike paper, plastic bags did not come apart in the rain. I do remember chasing can goods when a sudden storm came up and the wet paper bag fell apart.

Posted on: 6/8 19:24
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
So I guess in the near future, I will be buying boxes of small plastic trash bags. I re-use my shopping bags as trash liners and for other purposes.

I do the same, and use reusable bags, but I think we're in the minority. I suspect the vast majority of plastic bags go right into the trash.

Posted on: 6/8 17:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
So shoprite is going to stop using plastic bags? I'll believe that when I see it.

Posted on: 6/8 15:18
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
[quote]
Same here. I wonder if instead of a heavy handed approach like banning plastic bags, perhaps stores could be asked to enable customers to reuse, return, and/or recycle their plastic bags.

The ocean pollution issues are largely due to the third world (parts of Asia in particular) that lacking landfill space, just dump their trash in the ocean. Indiscriminate ocean dumping was common practice in NYC until NJ sued to get it to stop (way back in the 1920). Everything from melon rinds to dead horses were washing up on the NJ shore... which was bad for business.

The reusable bags are not the most sanitary thing in the world and have been linked to an increase in food poisoning.

We do have a litter issue in Jersey City. This is a cultural problem. We will just replace plastic with paper trash. Plastic grocery bags btw actually break down faster than paper, when exposed to sunlight (UV). If trash is being properly disposed of, being made of plastic, paper, or fairy dust isn't going to be an issue.

Recycling of plastic an industry in crisis mode right now. A lot of what is being collected is being put into landfills or incinerated. China absorbed about 60% of all the plastic collected in the world for recycling. They pretty much banned the importation of scrap plastic (and a lot of paper) starting this January. The recycling industry was causing them all sorts of major environmental issues.

Its easier / cheaper / cleaner to make new plastic, with the raw material sources here in the USA (made from cracking ethane, which we have lots of in the Marcellus and Utica shale deposits).

Posted on: 6/8 14:05
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
So I guess in the near future, I will be buying boxes of small plastic trash bags. I re-use my shopping bags as trash liners and for other purposes.

Same here. I wonder if instead of a heavy handed approach like banning plastic bags, perhaps stores could be asked to enable customers to reuse, return, and/or recycle their plastic bags. At the Wegman's in Woodbridge, there is a large bin where people can drop off excess plastic bags and others can help themselves to them. It seems like a sensical approach that allows for plastic bags to get a second or third use. Lots of people use them as trash bags (much like yourself, or myself for that matter) and others use them as doggie bags.

Posted on: 6/8 11:40
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 6/8 11:36
Print Top

Plastic bag bans coming to Hoboken, Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 6/8 8:18
Print Top

« 1 (2)