Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Where to practice driving
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/4 17:41
From Lincoln Park/McGinley Square
Group:
Registered Users
I only learned a few years ago myself. . .I practiced in the parking lots on Rte 440 first; there was at the time a big mostly empty lot in front of a closed store, and you can also drive slowly through the Lowe's/Hudson Mall lots. But I agree with others - as terrifying as it can be, get out on the road as soon as you can stand it, once you've got the basics down.

Not sure where you are planning to take the test - I took it at Newark, where a portion of the test is on the street (basically just around the block), and a portion is on a course - parallel parking, K-turn, straight backing etc. I think some others may be entirely on a course.

Also, at the time it was a requirement that the car you take the test in have a center-console emergency brake, accessible to the tester, which not many newer cars have - or be a driving-lesson car equipped with a passenger-side brake. Just an FYI. . .I had to get a friend with a Saab to take me as those have a center brake.

Good luck! I procrastinated way too long to do it, but I'm so glad I finally did.

Posted on: 2018/5/29 14:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
It's the same with my motorcycle. I got used to city streets as soon as I could, and started out with a bike that wouldn't launch me into parked cars with a little too much throttle.

When you are learning to drive, you need to learn in condition similar to what you will see in your later daily driving. Take a day or two to practice fundamentals in a deserted area, but get into the streets as soon as you can.

And learn how to parallel park. Never nose in.. always back in.

Agreed. For the first few days practice in an vacant parking lot or empty streets (the industrial area by Liberty State Park might be good). Once you get the basics down (like how hard to push the gas/brake) hit the streets. Baptism by fire.

Posted on: 2018/5/29 14:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
It's the same with my motorcycle. I got used to city streets as soon as I could, and started out with a bike that wouldn't launch me into parked cars with a little too much throttle.

When you are learning to drive, you need to learn in condition similar to what you will see in your later daily driving. Take a day or two to practice fundamentals in a deserted area, but get into the streets as soon as you can.

And learn how to parallel park. Never nose in.. always back in.

Posted on: 2018/5/28 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

papadage wrote:
I practiced in my own neighborhood by where the municipal courthouse is on Summit, but very early in the morning, and on the weekends. Do something like that in your own neighborhood after the first couple of days somewhere more deserted. There is no substitute for real streets with traffic and pedestrians eventually.

I agree, I did it in Flatbush Brooklyn this way I know what to expect. Bring on the crazy drivers. Real driving is not in some deserted area when you live in a metropolitan area.

Posted on: 2018/5/27 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/6 14:50
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Banned
I practiced in my own neighborhood by where the municipal courthouse is on Summit, but very early in the morning, and on the weekends. Do something like that in your own neighborhood after the first couple of days somewhere more deserted. There is no substitute for real streets with traffic and pedestrians eventually.

Posted on: 2018/5/27 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
The county parks in Bayonne and in North Bergen are good spots, too.

Posted on: 2018/5/26 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
People also practice driving at Liberty State Park near the Daily News building. Few people are there.

Posted on: 2018/5/26 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Base of St Paul's Ave, go to Tonnelle and take St Paul's all the way down to where the PSE&G complex is and make a right.

Many long streets around there where ppl practice driving, the evenings and weekends that area is empty.

Posted on: 2018/5/26 15:46

Where to practice driving

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/10 12:42
From Jersey city nj
Group:
Registered Users
Hi there! Looking for recommendations of good neighborhoods to practice driving as a permit-holder. Where I live, people drive like maniacs, blowing through stop signs and nearly hitting pedestrians. Any recommendations of quiet neighborhoods or parks which are good for an inexperienced driver to practice?

Posted on: 2018/5/26 14:54

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017